Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,163Posts
    • 12,528Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 64
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 16th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Went to see Spamalot last night. Really brilliant! If the tour goes near where you are, it's worth a look.

I've been tasked (quite happily) with making my Mum an advent calendar because she can't have sweets or chocolate anymore. Already ordered my first item for it: http://store.musicmagpie.co.uk/products/jamescollichristmass-988aff78-f173-4165-a06f-c3c9f85f8259

Wilko have a Christmas shop section online now. Don't know if it has already been mentioned: http://www.wilko.com/icat/christmas
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 16th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 35,155 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, whoever it was that couldn't find the Gingerbread candle in their HB I would check again as ours had loads of them today, in different flavours, I got the Halloween one as well as the Gingerbread so I hope it is just as nice and scented. I got a couple of stocking fillers for DS and some wrapping paper ready for our wrapping parties. I was really surprised how much Christmas stuff was out for this time of year.

SAMMYKAYE aww lovely photo of Nicky

ALJA result with the goody bag, will make some nice gifts

SPENDLESS we have got some fab bargains from USA before, why we have to pay over the top prices for everything over here annoys the hell out of me

PEPPAPIG glad you had a lovely time with the GC

CLUMSY glad you had a lovely night out, will take a look at the Wilko Christmas site

• murie
    • By murie 17th Sep 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,030 Thanks
    murie
    Sammy Kaye- she is beautiful!! Hope she is settling in well into your family x
    Clumsy- I make advent calendars for 5 adults, its lovely because they get a little bit of Christmas every day.
    Alja- I love goody bags from events!
    Spendless- once they go down the expensive make up route there is no going back............(I know from experience with my DD- she has half the stock of Selfridges in her bedroom! )
    Free- our HB had a few gingerbread candles too but not masses of Christmas stock (just enough for me to get excited lol). I wonder if they will have our sparkly reindeer again this year?
    When I was clearing out my bedroom I am ashamed to say I found some wrapping paper that 02 were giving away a couple of years ago (!) with a cat and a dog on, it was tucked away at the side of my wardrobe. Im going to use that for the animals presents (yes I am sad and wrap their pressies- Ruby loves unwrapping them! ).
    Weather doesn't look very promising today (again), I was hoping to cut the lawn but as it looks like it might rain I think I may do a bit of Christmas crafting once lunch is cleared away.
    lovin' this site!
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 17th Sep 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 19,231 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Dont let her cuteness fool you. She was almost demonic last night when I tried to put her in a cat box to go to sleep - shes been sleeping on our bed but Im so worried about squishing her in my sleep that Id rather move her onto the floor. Needless to say it didnt go well and after 2 hours of incessant howling, whinging and noise I gave in and she got her way. I have spent the day introducing her to the cat box more with the help of some ham, and left her in it for a 10 minute window with a blanket over it and the TV on whilst I nipped to the shop and came home to silence so I think we will get there. Just remembering that shes only 7 weeks old so still a baby but spoke to her previous owner earlier and said she had a teddy in the bed with her in her old house - so going to try that tonight as well.

Anyway back to Christmas.....
    I spoke to husband last night about what he'd like for Christmas - and he said he'd like an off road experience with a local Honda dealer.....The cheapest one they do is £299......for 1 day! but that is a full day, breakfast and lunch, tuition, riding all day, a full tank of fuel and loaning them a bike to use for the day. I don't think that's too bad but its finding the money for it. He wont be getting anything else though if that's what he really wants. I think I might start using my credit union account to save for that one and see how I get on by the beginning of December. That way then I also know I can take out a mini loan and there's no or little interest on it :-) and it will help build up my credit rating!

I've also been looking at Christmas decorations thanks to other sites and forums I belong to and think this year I am going to treat myself to two nutcracker men and stand them either side of my fireplace :-) I am so ready to get into the festive spirit!

I brought some Christmas cookies in the sale last year - they are like a packet mix and are good to November so i think me and my daughter will make them today. I've also been looking up some festive baking to do as well and sorted out my baking cupboard last night - needless to say the main cupboards are very scarily bare now that all the flours are in their rightful tubs I kid you not. Its shockingly low but only till Tuesday and we have two freezers I can make meals from until then.

I have also been looking at things to help fund the Christmas box with :-) I have a few bits and pieces upstairs that need to be put on to local selling pages. I'm trying to have a proper de-clutter before the festive season strikes. Proving quite difficult with a puppy in tow.....but my husband is off next week so Im hoping he will puppy sit so I can crack on with it!

Right off now to do some baking.
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • CJ2014
    • By CJ2014 17th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    CJ2014
    Luckily managed to get the tubs of sweets in Mr T today. There was only 3 tubs of heroes left!!! The 4 tubs have gone in the Xmas cupboard along with a packet of walkers sensation nuts which were also on offer.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 17th Sep 17, 7:13 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,993 Thanks
    Peppapig
    MURIE we always used to wrap the animal pressies too, only we had to unwrap ours too lol.

SAMMYKAYE that off road experience sounds good and well worth the money if you can make it. I bet it's a day he'll never forget.

Glad you got your chocs CJ2014 - mine are all still intact.

DD2 and DGD turned up for a surprise visit today as its DH's birthday so we've all been out for lunch which was lovely.

The other big news (well its big for us) is that the kitchen and bathroom are finished All the furniture is now in the right rooms so we're all straight. A little bit of decorating to do but other than that we're done. DGD loves 'her' bedroom (can't call it the spare room or my dolls house room when she's around lol) and alls right with the world.

Oh, and I wore my 'Merry Christmas' sweatshirt this morning - because I can
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • elliew8
    • By elliew8 18th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    elliew8
    Morning all, we’re in double figures now, only 98 days to go!

Hi Spendless, sounds like your Christmas planning is coming along nicely
    Sammykaye how’s the new puppy? What was your littlun’s reaction? That picture is so cute, she’s tiny! Thanks for the JD tip, just got some using clubcard points for my BIL’s birthday, also ordered the amazing spiderman too, thank you J
    LMG glad you managed to get home before Irma, sounds like you’ve done well stacking up your nectar/ boots points, I’d have a field day! I know what you mean about the weather, I’ve had to start wearing my winter coat…in September!
    Alja I’d really recommend making things, he also melted down about 6 terry’s chocolate oranges one year and made me a giant size one. I love a freebie so I’m jealous of your goodie bag J
    Whitesatin I’d second MandCo’s new year’s advent idea
    Peppa I didn’t know they’ve got the Primark Christmas stuff out yet, that warrants a trip, won’t be getting the tesco tubs yet – we’d eat them all before October lol good news the decorating is mostly done now
    MandCo we go out for a meal every Christmas eve and it’s usually a set menu so not too expensive, just a struggle finding a time that fits around Polar express and church!
    Clumsy a check-up in 4 months does sound like good news
    Gettingtherequickly, buying property is a big step I don’t blame you for being nervous about it!
    Murie if you’re sad, I’m right there with you J although the wrapping paper is actually the gift for the cat, she loves it more than any toy I could get her

Oh I got an email from Matalan saying their Christmas stock is out in store now so pretty sure that will be nationwide.
    I could also do with some advice, my nan’s are both turning 80 in October/ November and struggling to get them something ‘nice’ because it’s their 80th. Usually they are both happy with a nice top/ purse/ gloves & scarf/ pjs/ slippers but neither of them really wear jewellery or appreciate expensive things so if anyone has ideas it would be massively appreciated!
    I'm dreaming... of a white Christmas
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 18th Sep 17, 11:40 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 19,231 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    ELLIEW - the kids adore her. She is a cheeky little minx though and just sleeping the days at the minute because she is so small still. I tried her in the cat box last night again armed with her teddy and her toy and blanket etc and despite a few odd wimpers she did stay in the box all night and didnt turn into the exorcist - so I think slowly but surely is the way to go with her but the sooner I start putting her in there the better. She is tiny though so need to find her a jumper now the weather seems to be turning cooler

PEPPA - I am hoping I can make it to his adventure day. It might well be his only present though! Im wondering whether to email them and see if they do money off if you are buying them as christmas gifts - might be worth a try at least and it does sound a good lot that he gets for that money too. Will be contacting credit union today though to see about opening a savings account with them.

Well I had the argos toy guide through yesterday and then had the smyths toy store booklet through today so will be making holly write a final draft of her Xmas list later so that we can send it off to Father Christmas :-) since we are now under 100 days and I am technically only 4 paydays away from the big day.
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • PinkAngel8
    • By PinkAngel8 18th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    PinkAngel8
    Hello im a newbie, Ive been reading for a bit and finally plucked up the courage to post!

Im married with two teens, boy and girl, and two crazy house cats, I absolutely love Christmas, I usually start my planning as soon as the children go back to,school in September (post holiday blues) and I love reading your brilliant ideas and plans.

So far I have some Finding Dory toys from the Entertainer sale for neighbours children and my nephews, I have wrapping paper and tags, a wish list set in at Hotel Chocolat and Lush for some gifts I want to buy for people, and same with Amazon, and Im trying to get a few each payday, Ive been and got two of the chocolate tubs from Tesco for £7 so need to get them hidden away quick! Im planning Christmas Eve hampers for kids and hubby so looking our for Christmas pjs and mugs, and just waiting for M&S to release their Christmas food catalogue so I can plan my food ordering, Im saving a bit each month plus Valued Opinions vouchers, Im way more excited than the children! 😁😂
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 18th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Hi PinkAngel, welcome to the thread. It really starts getting busy on here at this time of year, then a new one gets created in the New Year but tends to be quite quiet for a few months.

Peppa - I had my Christmas tshirt on yesterday while I was cleaning. I was tempted to put christmas music on too but I have always had a rule that the xmas music goes on from 1st November, so I stuck to my rule & just put some boring 'normal' music on

Sammy - My daughter went through the Smyths catalogue last week. I haven't looked at it yet, so not sure what she has decided on but I know she was crossing out the things she didn't want and ticking the ones she wanted, so sounds like there will be pen everywhere!

elliew - With my nectar & boots points, they are a combination of some introductory rewards (took out a Nectar credit card just for the introductory offer then paid off what I spent) and not using them for ages! I was going to use my Nectar points last Christmas but there isn't actually a Sainsbury's close to me so didn't get chance to get there, but there is one near to where I work so this year I am going to make sure I get there as I can buy all of our Christmas food and other treats with the amount on there! With Boots I have to be strict with myself, last year I had lots of points but ended up paying for things because I kept forgetting to take my advantage card in to the store with me, but this year I have it in my car ready for those impromptu shopping trips in my lunch break

Has anybody seen the gold sparkly Mickey Mouse shoes that Primark are doing. I want a pair!! They are apparently a copy of some expensive designer shoe so I imagine they are going to be really popular & I bet it will end up being the same situation as the Beauty & the Beast stock, the staff will buy up all the items & then sell them on ebay for 5 times the price They are only something like £14 so I am going to have to try & get in to buy them, problem is I don't know when they have stock deliveries so I will have to find out.

This weekend went far too quickly, but I did enjoy myself. We went out with friends for a few hours on Saturday night & then Sunday I did start clearing out my daughters room, so the decorating plan is still on track. We have also started looking at ideas for getting our ensuite sorted out, so hopefully over the next few months we should be busy but will all be worth it in the end.

Free - I need to get to HB. I told my OH this weekend that we need to pop there soon to look at all the Christmas stuff. I was hoping Costco would have their Xmas stuff out when we went there this weekend, but they're still stocking Halloween stuff at the moment, so I'll go back in a few weeks.

Spendless - you must have got back from Florida just a few days after we got out there. I've got my winter coat out now as I just can't warm up at all now!

I remembered to get the Spider-Man DVD on Sky Store, so will wait for that to arrive now. I haven't managed to get to Tesco yet as I do most of my shopping in Asda, so I am going to have to try & pop in on my way home from work today as I believe it expires tomorrow!

I'm not sure what this wrapping party is that you are all on about, I think I have missed a post somewhere. But sounds like something I would love if someone can let me know the details. Date wise, 2 a month would probably be good as it means that if somebody misses one they might be able to make the second one

xx
    • loulabelle86
    • By loulabelle86 18th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    loulabelle86
    Hello again! Been lurking as my energy has been low again. Almost 22 weeks pregnant now, not a dot of energy left between that and the ME! Can any of you lovely posters recommend some good websites for Christmas shopping? Don't reckon I will be getting out much so hoping to get some bargains for gifts, decorations, stocking fillers online Been having a nosy at Matalan, some lovely stuff, ordered some Scandinavian style Christmas stockings!
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 18th Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 16,702 Thanks
    nic2075
    Evening, how is everyone? Ive been reading on and off but not had much to post.
    Ive been loving seeing that start of the christmas stuff in shops. A few bits startjng to creep in Home bargains, B&M and the Range. Ive stocked up on plenty Gingerbread jar candles from HB. I went through 5 last Nov/Dec and wanted to make sure I had plenty to see me through, I think I have 6 at the moment and 4 of the smaller ones they did last year. My daughter just rolls her eyes at me everytime I pick one up. We usually pop into Home bargains every Wednesday fo 40 minutes while my DS is at his guitar lesson. We look forward to each Wed to see what new stuff is in.
    I also picked up 2 Halloween jars to try, they are lovely too. Don't think I'll ever buy another Yankee candle!

I picked up a couple of 2 for £15 toys at Smyths. Some kinetic sand and a small ceramic tea set in a picnic style carry case. I'm just getting my DD2 a few small things as she really wants a bike.
    • By 04624181 19th Sep 17, 7:04 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 5,704 Thanks
    SORRY guys,

I have been so busy and I have not had chance to get dates up yet for the wrapping parties. I will sit down tonight with a nice cup of tea and plan the craft themes and dates for the christmas wrapping parties. Hope everybody is ok, big (nearly) christmas hugs. Getting SO excited now. Will read back and catch up news.
    • PinkAngel8
    • By PinkAngel8 19th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    PinkAngel8
    Ive caved.. Im just putting the Arthur Christmas dvd on for the first time this Christmas! my favourite Christmas movie, the music alone makes you feel so Christmassy! xx
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 19th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 5,617 Posts
    • 16,100 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Well the road trip didn't quite go to plan , we saw the as Great Britain in Bristol which hubby and Ddloved . Sorry if I'm about to offend anyone but bristols roads are a massive nightmare , I would hate to think I had to drive there regularly.
    The reason for the trip in the first place was that Ddwanted to see the witchcraft museum at Boscastle unfortunately another let down it was an eclectic mix of " artefacts " including a defaced barbie doll ! However everyone loved Boscastle other than that lovely independent shops and very friendly people .
    The shopping trip to Exeter could have been any city in the country same shops as everywhere else .
    Buckfast abbey even though I'm an atheist was very calming even for me !

We were supposed to be in Bristol one night then Devon for three but we had decided to leave on Sat a day early but at the evening meal
    Friday I asked dad if she wanted to go home after we had eaten and she burst into tears and said yes just as well really as had we left on the sat we would have probably been caught up in the aftermath of the M5 crash .

So although not planned we have started to decorate our bedroom might be finished by this time next week if we are lucky.

I guess everything happens for a reason .
    • murie
    • By murie 19th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,030 Thanks
    murie
    Sammy- that sounds a lovely present for you DH. glad that Nicky is settling in x
    Pink Angel- welcome!
    Loulabelle- I like those stockings on Matalan too. The stag in a dome with lights is the same as one on John Lewis (only the Matalan one is white and better in my opinion), its also a LOT cheaper! I can vouch for it as DD bought me one a while ago.

LMG- not seen the sparkly Minnie mouse shoes but Im going to primark next week so will take a gander. Hope the decorating goes well.

Spendless- sounds like you are well ahead with your plans now.

046... looking forward to the themes and dates but dont knock yourself out trying to organise it x
    Nic- those HB candles seem to be getting great reviews- I hope they dont put the prices up!
    Chrissy- shame the road trip didn't exactly go to plan but at least you didn't get caught up in the traffic from that awful smash.

I saw on HUKDs earlier that from tomorrow Tesco are doing buy one chocolate orange for £2 and get 2 free. Might be useful for those that want to include them in stockings (I dont like them but DH and DS love em).
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 19th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 15,171 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hello,

Oh dear Chrissy,what a shame.

Welcome Pink Angel

Sammy K the puppy is beautiful.Pleased to hear you are not letting her twist you around her paw.You will be glad in the future that she doesnt have to sleep with humans in bed.My brothers dogs have to sleep with them,its difficult to get a house sitter who doesnt mind sleeping with 4 dogs.

Been into a town today for my haircut.Got a halloween candle in HB.They had lots of the Christmas candles in.Luckily/unluckily I had left my bank card in my cag pocket at home so didn't have that much cash on me.I did get Mr V some marmite nuts for his stocking.

We might go on holiday soon,as DS can teenage sit DD2.

I am looking forward to the wrapping sessions and crafts.

love to all Vx
    Last edited by vulpix; 19-09-2017 at 6:36 PM.
    • CJ2014
    • By CJ2014 19th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    CJ2014
    LMG - I so want those shoes too. Only problem is I don't know when they are due to go into store. The FB article implied not until late October, but maybe they want them all for themselves

Got the biscuits on the 2 for £7 in M&Spensive today for the parents hampers, so another job done.

Youngest DD is making cheer survival bags for her team mates so ordered some bits from Ali X. Now just to wait unto 50 days for them to arrive!
    • alja
    • By alja 19th Sep 17, 10:15 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    alja
    Evening everyone

I bought a few more sweet treats for my friends' Christmas jars today on my lunch break. Bought x2 packs of the x4 chocolate lollies from Mr T, alongside some chocolate coins and candy canes from Wilkos. So far it's only cost me £2.50 each, which isn't bad!

Tempted by the chocolate orange offer! I work right by a big Tesco, so I could pop in before work tomorrow...

Looking forward to the wrapping dates/crafts too! I've got a nice stash now to get stuck into, can't wait
    • murie
    • By murie 20th Sep 17, 6:43 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,030 Thanks
    murie
    https://www.superdrug.com/Shop-All-Gifts/Beauty-%26-The-Beast-12-Days-Advent-Calendar/p/737174?utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_campaign=htt p%3A%2F%2Fwww.digidip.net%2F&utm_medium=affiliate& utm_term=04009g3vunj4&utm_content=0&awc=2026_15058 86154_cc78a3ff3e714bd49504a3b5ed00048e

I cant remember who asked about this but its half price now- quick!!!!
    lovin' this site!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

669Posts Today

5,140Users online

Martin's Twitter