Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,163Posts
    • 12,525Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 63
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 13th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Just a quick one at the moment as I'm in work. A friend of mine works in Tesco & has said that the christmas tubs of chocolate are on the 2 for £7 offer at the moment. Stock up people!!
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 13th Sep 17, 11:22 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Morning! Definitely a bit autumnal now. Been looking at another Chinese site,BanGood, a bit like Aliexpress. They have bags similar to Kipling, but at a fraction of the cost. May be worth look at in greater detail if you want to have a cheaper, everyday usage one.

Was not a happy bunny when I got home last night, had the eerie feeling that someone had been in. Sent text to LL, as thought it may be something to do with the squatters, which wasn't a problem. Only to discover the council had arranged to inspect for the landlord licence, nobody realised that I hadn't been told Annoyed with the council as when they came the last time & I was at work, they left a card for me to re-arrange, so they obviously completely ignored me & went to the LL to book. OK, the LL should have let me know, but knowing our local council, they probably told him I was aware. I wouldn't mind but when I tried to arrange the inspection, the call went to voicemail so couldn't arrange anyway. Worst part of it all was the spare bedroom is still a mess from my holiday Oh well, I'm sure the licence will be scrapped eventually!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 13th Sep 17, 5:00 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 19,231 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    GTQ - thats a bit naughty - not nice when things like that have happened - it makes me feel awful unsettled.

LMG - can confirm that Tesco have their tubs out - I saw them today :-) will be stocking up on Tuesday when my pay day rolls around. They also have a new Jack Daniels in for any fans - its called Jack Daniels No 3 and is a charcoal distilled one in a very nice box. Its £28 though and my hubby currently has 4 undrunk bottles of JD in the cupboard so I doubt I will be getting him any more this year

B&M here also have started putting out their Xmas stock and their gift sets - made me so happy today to see them all.

I finished work at 5.30 yesterday and since my bus is on the hour I had a nosey round Home Bargains - and found the Xmas candles......I like the gingerbread one, and the vanilla snowflake, there was also a magical christmas tree green one and a warm apple and cinnamon red one as well. Gutted though because the other week they had a white and red raspberry ripple one that I wanted to get for my mum and now I cant find it!

They also had in there big tubs (think christmas chocolates) but it was of Skittles instead which were little packets in case anyone is doing their own advent calendars. My son loves skittles so I am thinking I might get him a tub as they were only £3.99

Another side note - ANY SKY CUSTOMERS - if you go to Sky store - they have the ultimate spiderman for FREE and they will send you a FREE DVD of it to keep as well. Downloaded mine this morning and will give the FREE DVD to my nephew whos spiderman mad. Nice free gift and might help someone else tick a person off their xmas list.

In other news - its puppy day! I am so excited. OH is picking her up on the way home from Gloucester today so she will be here about 7.30 - 8pm!!!!!! I am ready and waiting for cuddles!
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Sep 17, 8:22 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,991 Thanks
    Peppapig
    SAMMYKAYE is she there yet? Hope you have lots of puppy cuddles. Thanks for the Sky heads up, I'll tell DD.

Had to go to Tesco for a prescription today and remembered reading on here about the 2 for £7 tubs so I bought four, yay! Now I just have to try not to eat them before December, I'm hoping to keep two and give two for pressies. If past years are anything to go by they'll all be gone by November
    Last edited by Peppapig; 14-09-2017 at 8:05 AM.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 14th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 12,826 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Thanks for the heads up on Spider-Man Sammykaye, will do that later this morning, got to go to Tesco for the sweeties, then Wilco are alleged to have reduced all their gardening stuff by 75%, and it would be rude not to check it out. I am resisting the candles from HB because l still have loads of candles already, but......... l may weaken!!!
    I ordered 2 t-shirts from Ge@rge for DGS, lron Maiden and AC/DC. they will go into his stocking, (he has big feet), along with yes, his first razor.
    l am gutted, it is another step away from childhood for him.
    M&Spensive have some of their swiss and Belgian chocs at half price, so they will be hoovered up tomorrow, for the hampers. l have a £50 gift card for there, courtesy of radio times, and l will try to use it only on hamper stuff. Deben-harms have their crackers and wrap out now, so it is starting to get festive in there. School run ready, ..xx
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 14th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 802 Posts
    • 15,169 Thanks
    vulpix
    Dammit the down side of living in the sticks.Bargains long gone by the time I get a pass into the smoke!.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 14th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 3,487 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Why does life have to be complicated?

Why am I terrified of the logical step of buying a flat in Egypt? Especially at the current exchange rate. I may need to put Christmas on hold until I conquer my fear
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 14th Sep 17, 11:05 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Thanks for the Sky tip Sammykaye, I will have to do that tonight

Peppa - this is why I buy them when they're cheaper, I get extra tubs to use for Halloween and for a sneaky treat myself as well.

It is so cold today! I have come back from holiday and feels like I've stepped straight into winter. I know that last year & the previous year, September was much warmer so I was expecting it to be the same again but looks like I'll be pulling my winter coat out sooner than I thought. I don't mind really because I love the cosy nights in when it gets dark early & I have my candles lit, but it does make me want to get my Christmas decorations down from the attic.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 14th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 35,155 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, I got my 2 for £7 chocs in yesterdays shop from Tescos so my Christmas food box is now started!

PEPPAPIG my scratchcards came this morning I am really pleased with them

SAMMYKAYE how is the little puppy doing?

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY you are probably worrying about the flat in Egypt because it is a big step, I hope it all goes smoothly for you that would be fab to have your own base there

MURIE hope you are ok my lovely x

MRSINVISIBLE oh I remember buying my DS first razor at Christmas time, now he drives me nuts when he shaves in the bathroom and there are whiskers everywhere!!
    CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP BY THE SEA - JANE LINFOOT
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £135
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £590/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • By 04624181 14th Sep 17, 8:06 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 5,703 Thanks
    Hi all, sorry for being MIA, hectic 2 weeks back at school but starting to get back into a routine now.
    Right, am getting together some potential dates for a gift wrapping evenings. Would people prefer a week night or weekend?

Also do we want 2 a month so people have plenty of choice?
    • alja
    • By alja 14th Sep 17, 11:18 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    alja
    I've now received both of the owl themed sticky note sets I ordered for my other half's mum and they're so lovely! Perfect to go with the notebook and pads I've got her. Just got to think what else to get her now.

I also received a map book that I've ordered for my dad, so he has a nice new fresh one. He knows he's getting it, but had to make sure I got the right one! We love giving each other practical gifts in my family...makes sense though!

Regarding the wrapping evenings, I'm happy with either a weekday or a weekend, I can be equally busy or not busy in each, so hopefully I'll be around! 2 a month could be a good idea for those who might miss out on one of them!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 15th Sep 17, 7:40 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,991 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I'm ok for weekday or weekend wrapping too and two a month sounds fine. Maybe one weekday and one weekend to cover everyone?
    • murie
    • By murie 15th Sep 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,028 Thanks
    murie
    "I'm ok for weekday or weekend wrapping too and two a month sounds fine. Maybe one weekday and one weekend to cover everyone? "- that's sounds a good idea to me to cover all bases. I wont be able to do the weekend but midweek would be fine.
    Free- Im OK thank you, just enjoying the peace and quiet at the moment here.
    Went to HB earlier in the week and bought some more gingerbread candles, they didn't have a mass of Christmas stuff out but my heart did a little wiggle when I turned into the aisle and saw lovely glistening sparkly Christmas goodies adorning the shelves!
    lovin' this site!
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 15th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 35,155 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of buying the Christmas toilet roll and kitchen roll from Groupon, the toilet rolls are really really small, I am quite disappointed, wont be buying them again will stick to M&S in future

I am happy to have 2 wrapping parties a month, week night or weekend. Have a great weekend everyone x
    CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP BY THE SEA - JANE LINFOOT
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £135
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £590/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 15th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 19,231 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    your welcome all re: spiderman. saves us all a few pennies so wanted to share on.

will be picking up my chocolates next week ready for Christmas in Tesco. Did see a few xmas bits starting to sneak into B&M yesterday too
    [IMG][/IMG]

this makes my heart so happy!!!

also Nicky aka puppykins is here and has already gotten attached to me. It was torrential rain earlier here and i left her with my mother in law to do the school run. She sat and howled like a wolf from the time i left the house and im currently having to type left handed because she is asleep on my right. Here she is all snug en route to her grandmas

im easy when it comes to the decorating but it will be best in school times for me!
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 15th Sep 17, 10:52 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,991 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Aw SAMMYKAYE she's so cute, I have pup envy lol.
    • alja
    • By alja 16th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    alja
    Sammy Kaye, she's sooo cute! Very jealous! I definitely want a dog one day when the time is right, they're just so lovely.

Was very lucky last night to go to an event and get given a very generous goodie bag at the end! It was filled with beauty products, some of which I will keep for myself, but I managed to get a fair few little bits from it to gift to my mum this Christmas. A few little bottles that I may pop into her stocking and a couple of bigger ones. I also got a little body wash from it that I can give to my dad, that'll probably go in his stocking. (They're in their 60s but I started doing stockings for them a few years ago to put by our family tree at their house, it just adds a bit of fun )

..so I'm super pleased and grateful for the freebies! Anything that saves me a few quid over Christmas is so welcome
    • CJ2014
    • By CJ2014 16th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    CJ2014
    Thanks for the heads up on the HB candles. Whilst working at home yesterday made a special trip over there and managed to get 3. 2 for hampers for parents, and 1 for me Also picked up 2 of the small candles for 59p which are good for the daughters stockings along with a couple of chocolate oranges at a £. Main weekly shop tomorrow at Mr T so hoping the tubs are still available. Sadly my local M&Spensive had run out of the 2 for £7 biscuits hoping I can find some when I go back to work at a branch in London
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 16th Sep 17, 8:53 AM
    • 19,633 Posts
    • 31,715 Thanks
    Spendless
    Hello eveyone

It's that time of year when I manage to pop in again.

I work full-time nowadays, so don't often get the chance to pop in. Also my computer hasn't been working well. I have put in a request for it to be fixed in time for my birthday later this month. My husband works in IT, but I swear it's like living with a plumber who refuses to fix a leaky tap. I have told him that if it isn't repaired, I will be walking into a shop and buying myself the most expensive one I could find (ditto my mobile phone that is useless!). That didn't bother him, money never concerns him (I get the job of flapping about it), so I changed track and told him, I would go into a shop that would sell me the most expensive stuff which was a pile of rubbish. That caught his attention ("why would you do that?"). Sometimes you just need to know what buttons to press.

It's this time of year that I start to have a longing to see all the Christmas merchanidise out. I know it doesn't start earlier each year, due to family birthdays we have aroudn this time from Mid Sept-Late Oct. The earliest which was this week, is the one I always struggle to find something for, due to lack of goods and relative being in their 90s. I might take a drive to B & M later though and see if I can get a bit of a 'fix'

I agree about the September wheather. We went to Florida last month and returned home to a glorious bank holiday and I thought this is what the weather had been like since we were away! Usually the first few days/couple of weeks of September are glorious. It's fixed in my head, because when the children were younger, I used to buy new school uniform for the new academic year and then need to put them back in summer items because of how warm it was. Each year I used to hope that the sunshine remained until my birthday (28th) but in 50 years, I only remember this happening twice!

I felt quite melancholy reading the tip about Spiderman dvd. DD at 14 is the youngest family member that I buy for. My christmas buying list consists of mostly pensioners and teenagers.

I have got some presents stashed away from the beginning of the year, but I need to go through them. Teenage daughter has developed a perchant for expensive make up and designer brands since her birthday in spring. and I can't really remember what I bought back in January. I do know I have some Lush sets. On holiday we went to an outlet shopping mall. DD loved that she could pick up brand name sweaters fro $15 and I managed to pick her up a Converse t-shirt for a similar price and also some converse trainer socks. DD told me a conversation she had with a friend about how if they wore expensive socks it would be assummed that the rest of the outfit was also expensive. Teenagers and their images!! Still, it helped me plonk a set in my basket to go in her stocking, I think I only paid around $5 for them.

In a dollar store they had the Yardly soaps. I couldn't believe how cheap they were, considering how expensive they are here. I would have put them into a hamper for some of the oldies, but my family have got to them first and used them in the bathroom. Grrr very glad I hadn't paid £s for them!

After a spectactulor row with DH last year, when he accepted an invite for both of us on the very weekend I told him I had ear-marked for present wrapping, I have booked a week off work at the end of November to do this and get everything else sorted. I *might* join in sessions on here, but DD does quite a few after school activities, so may not get chance.

Hope to pop back in soon, perhaps with an update of what I have, that might be a good starting point.

Bye for now.
    Last edited by Spendless; 16-09-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 16th Sep 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,991 Thanks
    Peppapig
    ALJA the goody bag sounds very useful - it can be quite difficult to buy for old people. My only oldie is my mum but she's a nightmare because she doesn't have any actual hobbies, has a huge collection of toiletries collected over past years' Christmas and birthdays, doesn't want ornaments, doesn't listen to music, can't work a DVD player and isn't supposed to eat too many treats! I'm going for photo coasters this year I think as at least she loves pics of her great grandchildren.

CJ2014 they had loads of tubs of the chocs at our Tesco the other day. I keep looking at the ones I bought and telling myself to leave them alone lol.

Welcome back SPENDLESS. Love your tactics for getting the computer fixed, really hope they do the trick. The Florida bargains were good and your DD's idea about the socks was probably a very sound one. Maybe I should try that?

Babysat the littlies last night and didn't get in til just after two. Slept really well though and didn't get up til 10 but of course I'm all behind now. That being the case I'd better get on with stuff! See you all later and happy festive doings to those that will be doing them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,547Posts Today

9,973Users online

Martin's Twitter