Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,163Posts
    • 12,524Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ĎWell I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmasí

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 62
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 10th Sep 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 14,930 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I had a nice long post all prepared and my iPad decided to switch itself of and when it came back on the post was all gone

I can't face rewriting it now so apologies everyone, thanks to all who've posted tips.

All your posts are making me feel really festive, must add more hot chocolate to my shopping list.

I'm up for the wrapping too although I haven't bought much yet but I'll just wrap slowly

FREE I'm off to have a look at that game.

Hope everyone is warm and snug, really feeling for those affected by Irma. Our weather might be a bit uninspiring but at least we don't have such devastating storms to contend with.

ETA - FREE I've just bought the game, actually I bought two, the reindeer o e and the Santa one. They should be great for Christmas Day. Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Peppapig; 10-09-2017 at 3:01 PM.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • murie
    • By murie 11th Sep 17, 6:31 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 9,012 Thanks
    murie
    GTQ- that's such a lovely thing to do! I think the luxuries would have to be decided in each individual families case depending on their circumstances and family history so difficult to make suggestions. (Sorry not much help x).

Free- I love the idea of festive loo roll but never get any, must make an effort to include it this year. The games look like a great idea-well spotted!

Peppa- I agree- we all moan about the weather in the UK but we don't realise just how lucky we are on the whole. I'm up for wrapping too.
    For some reason (no idea why) I felt really grumpy over the weekend and last night was awake all night with DH, he has a bad back and has spent all night groaning in agony so don't exactly feel a happy camper today.
    lovin' this site!
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 11th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 12,816 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    morning, waiting to get DGS up for school, then stop off at M&Spensive, to return jeans that are too big, and reorder while the extra 10% is still active. DGS and his dad came up yesterday and chopped down my diseased rowan trees, (now the witches can come!!) and chopped them up, ready for Nev the shred to deal with them.
    Have been at home all weekend, should have got lots done, but no, gave it to the queen yesterday, and did pootling in the garden on Saturday. My front bedroom looks like a baby shop, 2 mums- to- be storing stuff in there, lovely.
    On the Christmas front l have reviewed my list and have covered everyone outside immediate family, and have enough left over for next year! but instead, l am going to take it to the food bank and see if they can use it if not, CS will benefit. That was inspired by your lovely idea, GTQ, so thank you.
    Counted my shrapnel bags and have over £200 and my regular savings are on target for £500 by the end of November, so am well chuffed.
    My friend who saves with us is using hers to take all her family out for Christmas dinner, DD is using it to fund her Christmas gift shopping, and fave cos and l for our annual trip/pilgrimage to York.
    Yes, you are right, we don't appreciate how lucky we are to avoid the extreme weather others have to face, l saw a picture yesterday showing the size of lrma if it was over Europe, it is bigger than the whole of the UK.
    OK time to get DGS out of his pit and ready for school. (l may be some time)
    • elliew8
    • By elliew8 11th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    elliew8
    Morning everyone, hope everyone is well. Weíre off to my parentís house in Lincolnshire this weekend so planning on probing them for present ideas, especially with my dadís birthday early December, my grandparents were so inconsiderate having a December baby! lol
    Clumsy I hope the ESA assessment went well and the weekend wasnít too bad on your own, good luck with your appointments
    Sammy I havenít been to Hereford for Christmas shopping, is there a market there?
    Princesskitty glad your little one is doing better, will definitely be stealing the 12 dates idea J
    Freespirit Iím going to have to google the House and Holidays plan, need to get my bum in gear sorting the house/ garden before it starts getting cold, and will need to pop into HB sooner than I thought! Iíll get down M&S for the shortbread too and just added the scratch cards to my amazon basket J
    Girlinayellowdress sounds like a nightmare, although you could sell some of it on ebay or do a car boot sale to earn some extra money before Christmas
    Chrissy lovely news about your niece, £11 for bath bombs :O they must be nice!
    04624181 lucky you with the nice car, Iíve only driven an automatic once but I loved it, so easy to drive. Sorry about your DS, hopefully will be on the mend and back at school soon
    Gettingtherequickly thatís a brilliant idea, Iíd second mandcoís idea about the board game/ family fun hamper
    Alja we do the same we do a £20 limit and actually means I usually get really thoughtful handmade presents, one year he made Harry potter wands out of chocolate bars which may sound a bit naff but I love HP and chocolate so was a win win lol
    Loving this winter weather although it just makes me want to snuggle on the sofa and be lazy!
    I'm dreaming... of a white Christmas
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 11th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 19,204 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Yes, you are right, we don't appreciate how lucky we are to avoid the extreme weather others have to face, l saw a picture yesterday showing the size of lrma if it was over Europe, it is bigger than the whole of the UK.
    Originally posted by mrsinvisible
    Scary isnt it - my friend is in Orlando at the minute and the storm hit her at about 2am in the states so about 5am here so I have been sat texting her since. She has it as a category 3 storm but she said the winds are still over 100mph and have done damage to the outside of the house she is staying in.

Not much Christmas things going on here today. I am royally skint until Wednesday and have to do a food shop and Nicki will be coming home that night - her litter mates are starting to bully her out of the way for food so she isnt getting what she needs so we have agreed to have her a week early so husband will be collecting her on his way home from Gloucester

Im still up for the wrapping party - was a date or time decided on yet?

x
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 11th Sep 17, 10:03 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    LMG1305
    I'm back from my holiday (got out of Florida before Irma hit) and am well & truly in Christmas mode now. I have started making a list of things that need doing in the house before Christmas, daughters bedroom needs decorating as we promised her it would be done for her birthday but that has been & gone and it still hasn't been done, so now I've pinky promised it will be done before Christmas. A pinky promise is the biggest promise you can make to a 9 year old, so I can't break it!!

Also started getting ideas for presents for people and making that list, so I can cross things off then as I buy them.

I just want to get my tree down from the attic, put some Christmas music on & watch Christmas movies.

I hope everybody is well. I bet this thread will start to get busy now over the next few months!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 11th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 14,930 Thanks
    Peppapig
    MURIE I feel for you. DH was up most of the night because he kept coughing - fortunately he got up and fell asleep sitting on the sofa so I had a fairly peaceful night

MRSINVISIBLE you've done really well on your savings. I think I need to do something like that for next year. Do you save your change or is it focussed on particular value coins? Love the way you call M&S M&Sspensive.

ELLIE Harry Potter chocolate wands sound good to me. On my side of the family our birthdays are nearly all around Christmas time then ours stop and DH's family birthdays start!

SAMMYKAYE glad your friend is ok. Poor little Nicki but you must be so excited waiting for her arrival. Still no move on the dog/cat front here. DH is still adamant he's not ready to start again yet.

LMG (still not used to that name, you'll always be MM to me) a pinky promise is sacrosanct lol, best get off to the diy shop?

Plasterers have done the basic stuff this morning, back tomorrow for finishing coat - I can't wait. Only a few days now and we'll finally be straight. Not bad for a place that didn't need anything doing to it. Healthier eating starts tomorrow so it's a good job I've just finished off the last (big piece) of the apple crumble
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 11th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 35,122 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

CHRISSY oh blimey they have gone up, oh well I will just have to see how many I can get for my budget

MANDCO ooh I wonder if our Range has started putting Christmas stuff out? I do love a wander around there

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY aww that is a lovely thing for you to do, I like MANDCOs idea of the hamper, some nice chocolate for the kids?, a nice bubble bath/shower gel for mum? Hot Chocolate for the hamper?

ALJA I second a nice pen

VULPIX hope you had a lovely afternoon tea

PEPPAPIG glad you liked the scratchcard game, yes I agree those poor people who have lost everything it breaks my heart, how do you start again? Glad your building works are nearly coming to an end

MURIE I usually get the Christmas toilet roll and kitchen roll from M&S but last year didn't bother but since I am hosting this year I thought I better make an effort! Sorry you have felt grumpy, I hope you had a better nights sleep last night

MRSINVISIBLE yes I have to save too otherwise I wouldn't be so organised so early, I am only buying things because I have the money put away

ELLIEW8 glad you liked the scratchcard game and do look at the house and holidays plan or there is another one the grand holiday plan they are interesting

SAMMYKAYE glad your friend is safe, aww I bet you cant wait to get Nikki home, I bet the kids are excited having her a week early

LMG1305 glad you got home safe, sorry you had to cut your cruise short

CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP BY THE SEA - JANE LINFOOT
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £135
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £590/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • alja
    • By alja 11th Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    alja
    Thank you for all the ideas to go with the notepads. I grabbed some owl themed/shaped sticky note sets from Amazon as I have a gift voucher on there to use up (won the gift voucher in a competition!) ...so they're nice free additions, but will definitely look for a pen in the shops too

Ellie I love the sound of the handmade chocolate wands! I have some HP loving friends who would really appreciate that type of gift and it's so nice you hand make each other something. Maybe and my other half could do the same this year!

Do we have a date to do the wrapping party at all? I'll pop it into my diary to ensure I don't miss it! Quite excited for it! Haha
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 12th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 3,483 Posts
    • 15,142 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Thanks for the suggestions on Christmas for families. Was also thinking of nipping into Primark & getting some jim jams for the kids (we know their ages roughly, so should be able to work around that), I imagine that the parents will be more concerned about Santa lists etc. Think the obligatory chocolate orange will need to be bought also. If I can start to avail of offers which will be coming up now, with a bit of luck, should be able to get a decent amount for them.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 12th Sep 17, 10:53 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 15,148 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi,Nice to see Christmas coming on apace now.Very little happening in that department here.I did pick up a cute Chinese bowl with a face on with a lid like a coolie hat for DD1,she likes quirky nicnaks.

I am spending my time trying to assimilate my sons belongings into the house.He has been to his GF's parents and collected all but some furniture.The contents of his flat basically and all the clothes he didnt take to Cananda.Aargh it is difficult for me.I don't want to make him feel unwelcome but clutter stresses me out! I am though doing loads of washing as the stored clothes smell fusty and the Canada clothes have been washed in baths or never! I LOVE washing.

He has had an interview but wont find out till the end of the month,he has another interview on Friday at the uni in Nottingham.He is at the moment doing some work experience at the local radio station.

We finally got to see the bungalow yesterday.Much potential but the estate agent said there is someone interested who is a cash buyer.I must say the tenant leaving the taps on when he left has made a mess!

oo,thats my washer finished.His master calls.

Vx
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 12th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 19,204 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18

SAMMYKAYE glad your friend is safe, aww I bet you cant wait to get Nikki home, I bet the kids are excited having her a week early

Originally posted by freespirit66
    My son knows but the littlie doesn't so she will probably be having convulsions when daddy walks in with the mystery box tomorrow will be like a mini christmas!

Well I have finally figured out somethgni for my mother in laws xmas present - I tend to pick things up and put them on a list all year for her but I had an add pop up on facebook today and knew she'd like it so I am going to get her Levison Wood - Walking The Nile / Walking the Himalayas / Walking the Americas boxset - its £21.99 on Amazon but she will love it and we usually spend about £30 on her so thats her ticked off the list - will put it in my basket ready for pay day next week!

Off today as well to look at Candles before I go into work. Need one for my sister and one for my mother to finish their gifts off and I want to look at a few puppy bits and pieces

Right best go because I need to be on a bus in 20 minutes and I still haven't gotten changed into my work stuff yet! doh!
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 12th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 5,617 Posts
    • 16,096 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Hi everyone, I've just caught up on all your posts since I've been away on holiday. So exciting to hear that things are hitting the shops, even if we hear lots of moans and groans about it being there...it makes things so much easier to plan in advance and make sure I don't go spending too much!

I'm not sure if I mentioned last time, but me and my other half have decided we're not going to buy much for each other this year. We're going to stick to a smaller budget like £20/£30, as we want to go on an expensive holiday (or two!) next year, so our money will go to that instead. We get so many presents from family anyways

Now our summer holiday is done and the weather is turning, I'm definitely ready to get stuck back into Christmas planning. I might try to work out how I can get my friends' presents to be as "money neutral" as possible - using loyalty points, freebies etc. We all get together and exchange gifts which we then open on Christmas day at our own homes.

I need to get planning what to buy with the notepads I've bought for my other half's mum. I've got her a set of 3 cute little notepads to pop in handbags etc. and a nice bigger one for at home. ..any suggestions?
    Originally posted by alja

If you are looking for a pen theres a site called Zen le femme there beautiful handmade pens.
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 12th Sep 17, 2:02 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Peppa - well my OH works in the construction trade so he is going to get his decorator in to do all the painting/wallpaper etc. But the biggest task will be sorting through all her toys while she's not looking, so I can actually get rid of some of them!! Then I can order all the furniture once I know the date that the decorator is coming. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Free - thank you, the most important thing is we are all safe. We were gutted to come home early but we can always go on holiday again

I ordered some cute wooden snowflakes on Amazon today. My idea is to paint them white, stick some swarovski crystals on them & give them as tree ornament gifts. Looking forward to that, I'm not great at craft stuff so simple things like this are right up my street.

I am going to sit down tonight & work out what vouchers I have and reward points. I know that I have around £200 nectar points, so going to make sure I use them this year to get some of the shopping done without spending 'real' money. I've also got £150 odd of Boots advantage points, so definitely using them up this year for some stocking fillers.

Me & my sisters have been talking about Christmas lately. A few years ago we tried going down the route of, don't buy for each other, just the kids, but we all felt so bad that we ended up buying for each other as well. So I have suggested having a budget this year, much better idea as it means we can still get something for each other but can use our imaginations to try & make the money go further
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 12th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 12,816 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    LMG so relieved you are safe and sound, yes, you can always reholiday.
    Peppa, l have typical 'sugar bowl' mentality for savings. l have 6 money boxes, one for each value of coin (except £1s as they are for DGS dinner money and pocket money for the nibs at Christmas, they get £2 a week, so they love counting it when they come.) Then l count up the coins in the boxes and when there is enough l transfer it to a money bag.
    The decorating, remodelling, plastering going on on here is making me fidgety l may need to join in. Fave cos has given me the other half of a carpet remnant she used for her 3rd bedroom, and there may be enough for my smallest bedroom. Measuring needed.
    Have spent today filling in PIP forms for the cousin of DS2s friend, spent a couple of hours yesterday going through it with her, and she will return tomorrow to finish it off.
    Vulpix l'm with you, clutter makes me nervous, but we put up with it cos we love the clutter bearers. Baby stuff, however, is not clutter, it is cuddle swap.
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 12th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 5,777 Thanks
    whitesatin
    Ideas welcome, please. My daughter has three boys who, by Christmas, will be aged 2-8. This year, I have the opportunity to look after them, at theirs, for a couple of days/nights, just before New Year as their parents are planning a welcone break on their own.
    They will , obviously, have had the excitement of Christmas but I would love to extend this for a couple of days while I look after them. They still believe in Santa and he will have been and gone but I would love to extend the whole experience for them while I'm there. I can delay their presents, from me, or some of them anyway, to be given during those two days and I don't want to stretch their belief by saying that Santa has come back with more, lol.
    I will more or less stuck indoors with them due to transport issues but would love them to look back on this time as a magical one, and, if it goes well, I am more than happy to make this a tradition.
    So, I would welcome any ideas re keeping them busy/happy for a couple of post Christmas, pre New Year days. Thanks.
    • alja
    • By alja 12th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    alja
    If you are looking for a pen theres a site called Zen le femme there beautiful handmade pens.
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG

Thank you so much, I will take a look at them

LMG...that's an amazing amount of points, I only have a £ or two on each of mine. Enjoy spending them!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 14,930 Thanks
    Peppapig
    WHITESATIN that needs a bit of thought, I'll try firing up the little grey cells

Went to our Home Bargains this afternoon and got a Gingerbread large jar candle and the green Christmas Tree one and two Father Christmas cake tins - no idea what I'm going to do with them but for £1.49 each I had to buy a couple. Also popped into Primarni and bought some really cute reindeer tea light holders for £1.50 each and two little unicorn ones (they'll be for DGD and honorary DGD who are unicorn mad)for £2 each. Definitely feeling festive today.
    • mandco
    • By mandco 12th Sep 17, 10:55 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 8,850 Thanks
    mandco
    Ideas welcome, please. My daughter has three boys who, by Christmas, will be aged 2-8. This year, I have the opportunity to look after them, at theirs, for a couple of days/nights, just before New Year as their parents are planning a welcone break on their own.
    They will , obviously, have had the excitement of Christmas but I would love to extend this for a couple of days while I look after them. They still believe in Santa and he will have been and gone but I would love to extend the whole experience for them while I'm there. I can delay their presents, from me, or some of them anyway, to be given during those two days and I don't want to stretch their belief by saying that Santa has come back with more, lol.
    I will more or less stuck indoors with them due to transport issues but would love them to look back on this time as a magical one, and, if it goes well, I am more than happy to make this a tradition.
    So, I would welcome any ideas re keeping them busy/happy for a couple of post Christmas, pre New Year days. Thanks.
    Originally posted by whitesatin
    could you maybe do them a new years countdown advent? a gift/activity a day from boxing day till news years eve with bigger ones on the days you have them.

asda have added more xmas jumpers quite liking the yoda one for ds
    https://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=christmas+jumpers&cgid=10&ccgid=10#https://direct.asda.com/george/clothing/10,default,sc.htmlq=christmas%20jumpers&srule=g_pr ice_desc&start=0&sz=20

Poundland have started putting out xmas stock

cardfactory have the xmas gift bags in. Different offer this year any 4 for £1 rather than the x amount of a certain size they used to do.

Decided we are going to eat out xmas eve again this year so just waiting for bookings to open. It wasn't that expensive last year so think we'll going to make it a regular thing.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 13th Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Morning all. This awful weather is making me feel more and more Christmassy!

ESA assessment went ok as far as I can tell - might be different story when I get the decision. Survived my weekend home alone. Didn't enjoy it one bit. Apart from the pizza.

Cardiologists yesterday. Being sent for some tests but the doc couldn't hear a murmur like the GP could so no idea if I actually have one. Being seen again in 4 months so they can't think its very serious!

Christmas wise, I think I will get my sister that Beauty and the Beast calendar. Might eventually get some money back for it if I join up with Quidco first. But I've read Superdrug is pretty slow with that so I won't count on it.

Hope you're all well.
    Save
    ďIn 900 years of time and space, Iíve never met anyone who wasnít importantĒ
    - Eleventh Doctor
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

386Posts Today

5,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin