Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,136Posts
    • 12,228Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 44
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 34,163 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, I got a small payout on one of my surveys today so I have ordered Thumper a TwirlyWoos Dinner plate, bowl and cup set for the last bit of his birthday present (he is mad on them, Thomas Tank and Postman Pat bless him. I cant believe how organised I am this year and it feels so good knowing I have things sorted

MURIE oh no that is what one of mine would do so I didn't have any time to do anything secretly. Is she excited about her party? Are you having a breakdown yet? OMG I am still choking on the 64 euros for a drink and cake I thought it was expensive paying £5 for a coffee back 30 years ago

VULPIX I love the sound of all your goodies you have made for the bags you clever lady they sound gorgeous

VINTAGEHISTORIAN hi and welcome, some nice thoughtful presents there for your family

CURRENTLY READING THE HUNDRED YEAR OLD MAN WHO CLIMBED OUT OF THE WINDOW
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £75
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • murie
    • By murie 14th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 8,457 Thanks
    murie
    Free- she has popped out on errands today so I have had a chance to get the cake done! The top two layers are dummies and the bottom one is red velvet as she asked for. the cream cheese frosting doesn't give very clean results so it messier than I wanted it to be but its done! I have hidden some black ostrich feathers for the top- problem is that I cant remember where I put the darned things!!
    lovin' this site!
    • murie
    • By murie 14th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 8,457 Thanks
    murie
    lovin' this site!
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 14th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Originally posted by murie
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 14th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Murie that cake is amazing!

Free - My niece absolutely adores Twirlywoos (although maybe she's not quite as fussed as she was a year ago). It's also the only CBeebies show that I actually enjoy watching! Always join in with the opening tune: 'Quacky birds fly over the seaaaaa'

Had my GP appt. on Wednesday. She's not referring me to a cardiologist - she wants me to have another ECG done (via the GP, not hospital) which we will then discuss. She mentioned something about checking for a borderline abnormality that I don't think anyone told me about before. Still, she's a very good/helpful doctor so I'll go with her on this. Not sure why cardiology is now off the table though...

That papercut I was talking about - I'm trying to find paper that is black on one side and white the other. I figured this would make it easier for me to trace the design on to it. Can't find anything quite suitable though! Let me know if you see anything on your travels.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 14th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 34,163 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone,

MURIE that is bl**dy fantastic you have such an eye for pretty things

CLUMSY oh no I will be singing that all night now I was washing up the other day and just started singing it then DD1 started singing it because I set her off Glad your dr is doing something and you trust her, hope you have some answers soon. I will keep an eye out for black and white paper

DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 15th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 1,867 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Just popping in to say The Contemporary Home has a sale on with some Christmas bits mixed in: https://www.tch.net/sale
    Must have ordered something from them in the past cause they keep emailing me.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • murie
    • By murie 15th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 8,457 Thanks
    murie
    Thank you ladies - I think DD will like it and that's what matters.
    Today has been sticky and wet here, I wanted to cut the grass this afternoon ready for tomorrow but it's way too wet out there.
    I have cooked up a storm this morning, so I am on track now. The only thing I'm not 100% on is the baked red velvet cheesecake, I'm not sure it's going to set properly but a dollop of fresh cream will hide any wobbly bits! I refuse to get stressed over anything come what may!

Clumsy- it's got to be good news that the GP isn't referring you to a cardiologist at this point, take heart from that.

Free-I have no idea how that tune goes ( no little ones here) but I do know how irritating having a song go round and round your head is! It can drive you crackers can't it?

I hope everyone is having a great day x
    lovin' this site!
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 15th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Thank you for the lovely welcome everyone!

Vulpix - Glad I could help with some kind of suggestion XD

Murie - That cake looks fantastic, I'm sure your DD will love it when she sees it!

Did a tiny bit more shopping last night. An online shop called That Lame Company is having a sale, and her sale section always has stuff under £5! I bought a cute little marble-effect dish for my Mum (either for Christmas or her birthday, which is also in December), and a print for my youngest sister, will try to make one more IKEA trip for a nice frame for it before Christmas!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in August 2017 - £24.33/£93 (2017 total - £112.98) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £749.69
    • alja
    • By alja 15th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    alja
    I hope you don't mind me joining in? I used to post quite often in these Christmas threads a couple of years ago and it always helped me stay on track and feel Christmassy!

Firstly...that cake is amazing murie!

Christmas wise, present buying is going relatively well now. I buy lots of little presents for my parents as Christmas, so I find buying early and shopping the sales really helps. I also have friends, my other half and his family to buy for.

I've started my yearly spreadsheet to note down ideas, what I've bought, how much I've spent roughly, just so I can keep a little eye on things. I've been trying to get the birthdays for the rest of the year sorted, so I can then concentrate on getting Christmas sorted.

I've started getting little bits for my parents in the sales when I've seen things, the recent sales have really helped! For the majority of my friends I am doing the same thing and making them sweetie jars. I've bought 6 of those big-ish cookie jars (just over £1 something from Mr T), and I'm saving up my loyalty points so I can use them to buy the sweets later in the year. Not sure whether to do sweet layers, or to fill the jars with all things Christmassy e.g. hot chocolate, sweets, chocolates etc in little bags inside the jar.....will see what's cheapest to do!

I also got 3 little Peppa pig books in £land yesterday for my friend's little girl. And for my other friend's little boy I got a dinosaur fact book reduced from Arg0s, a sticker sheet collection from £land, some minion haribo sweets which I got for free using my phone provider's app...love getting freebies to add to presents!

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend!
    Last edited by alja; 15-07-2017 at 4:59 PM.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 15th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 13,694 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Wow the thread is moving more quickly now, must be because it's July. QVC were talking about Christmas in July today but like MURIE I'm hoping it's going to better than the last couple of years.

Welcome VINTAGEHISTORIAN, seems like you've got a lot of your pressies planned.

Welcome ALJA too, I must get my spreadsheet sorted out, I've normally done it by this time but not even updated my Christmas list app yet.

FREE I must have glossed over the tooth bit, did you go to the dentist? How did you get on?

MURIE the table is going well now I've finally got on with it, it's painted and the map is on, just waiting for it to dry out fully (hopefully tomorrow) then I can varnish the top. I know I've already said it to you but have a fabulous day tomorrow and don't forget the pics.

MURIE/VULPIX I'm really getting into the garden although it's brought out my more destructive side and a number of very big shrubs have become casualties of my crusade. We're going to put the weed suppressing membrane down while we decide what we want to do next. I've got the urge for a little model village but I don't think it'll actually happen. I think it will probably be next spring before we do anything else major though.

CLUMSY glad you've got a good GP, I have too and it does give you confidence.

I know I've missed people out but having trouble retaining anything in my head today so apologies. I actually thought I'd posted the other day but I must just have thought about it and not actually done it

Well the good news for me is that we now have the plumber sorted for the kitchen and hopefully he'll be coming in straight after the first fix electrics at the beginning of August. He's also going straight on to do the bathroom so all being well we'll be sorting out the second bedroom/my craft room/office (ex kitchen) by the end of August.
    Last edited by Peppapig; 15-07-2017 at 7:05 PM.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 15th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 14,348 Thanks
    vulpix
    Well Hello Alja,you seem on top of it all,you will just be able to put your feet up come December.My aim too.

Murie,you clever thing you.Not only does the end product look professional but its the brilliant ideas in the first place which impress me.I am sure you will all have a fabulous time.

I looked on the website you recommended Murie. There were things for men which I never new existed. Antiperspirant for gentlemen areas.

DD2 been to work today and enjoyed it,hurrah.

I took 2 of the cushions back that I got last week.I over estimated the size of my sofa and just had too many,there would be no room to sit.I still have 4 of those massive cushions and it has made a big difference.I was thinking of having a new sofa but the cushions have brought it right up to date.

picked up some packs of socks today for trainee Son in law and my son in the sales.Also got some mens moisturiser,face wash n sun cream for TSIL on offer in Tesco.

I also got some silver bias binding to finish the Christmas tree skirt off.

I have been spending a lot of time on pinterest looking at all things Yule.For people who may not know we have a group pinterest board called elfilicious.

Off for a nice lunch tomorrow with Mr V's work,diet,what diet!

Vx
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 15th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 14,348 Thanks
    vulpix
    peppa just seen your post.Never mind anything else.MODEL VILLAGE is a priority.DO it!!!!!!!!!When I was a little girl there was a house on the way to my Grandads that had a tiny bungalow built in the garden and some times it had smoke coming out of the chimney.You must have a model village,what a fab idea. Vx
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 15th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly

Off for a nice lunch tomorrow with Mr V's work,diet,what diet!

Vx
    Originally posted by vulpix
    Wish I could say that! Weighed in the other evening, misheard my loss, thought it was 1/2lb, but was actually 2. Wanted to do more, but as I won slimmer of the week with that loss, it was clearly much better than the others. Was thinking while driving home, while I am exactly on target of 2lb per week, I am actually doing considerably better than the rest of the girls ( can't include the boys as they naturally lose weight differently to us), because I am the only one not yo yoing. Had to buy new jeans today, am sick of having to keep pulling mine up. I have no idea how sizing is done, because they are all the same size, some same brand, yet they are either falling off me, or comfortably loose.

Made 2 Christmas cakes today, will do another 2 tomorrow, need to get back on track on getting them finished. Bought my brother a mug with his initial on it in Matalan today, he can use it for the office. Other than that, not much done on the C front this week, been really busy work wise, only free evening was last night, so made a start on housework. Such exciting lives we live

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 15th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 13,694 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Ha ha, OK VULPIX message received lol. I've been googling model houses for the garden and had some ideas but it will need a lot of thought. Might be my winter project (planning) and then do it next year.

GTQ 2lbs a week is good, especially if it's steady and not up and down, less likely to go back on too. I agree about sizes. I bought two pairs of jeans, same make, same style, same size just different colour and they both fit differently (and they weren't cheap ones either).

Forgot to say they had some really nice ceramic coasters with big initials on in Next Home yesterday, they were £2.50 and I was tempted but they only had limited initials and they didn't have the ones I needed. I thought they would have made good gifts.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • alja
    • By alja 16th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 732 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    alja
    Thank you for your welcomes I'll have to have a little look at your pinterest board too! I find it so helpful for gift ideas or wrapping ideas on there.

When do you start wrapping your presents? Do you wrap as early as now or leave it for later in the year? I felt a bit panicked last year as I had so many to wrap and so much going on work wise and out of work. I buy lots of little bits, so I'm tempted to start on little things for some people now and then save the majority for nearer Christmas...a hot chocolate and some Christmassy music!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 16th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 14,348 Thanks
    vulpix
    I have a couple or 3 evenings of binge wrapping in Novemberish.I like to get my stash out occasionally and even with a list I would forget what was what if they were wrapped up.But I only have 8 people I buy for.Husband,3 kids,2 partners and 2 Mothers.There will be bits like home made chocolate for friends etc.
    We culled buying for other people years ago.

Peppa when my children were little we had 3 guinea pigs and i used to think about building a little brick house in a walled garden for them to wander in.One day... ( can't you just tell I used to work with children!)

GTQ well done on your weight loss and new jeans.

I am also not doing bad diet wise.My scales are the clock type so are hard to read. I seem to have lost about 8lbs now. I am not ready for smaller clothes yet but what i have are fitting betterI put 2 stone on after an operation on my spine nearly 2 years ago and would like to get rid now I am mobile again.

Vx
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 16th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 34,163 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, there is a stag duvet on Groupon today I might order, double is only £8 and it comes in 3 colours and all sizes, if anyone is interested

CLUMSY thankyou for the link I had a look and saw some lovely bags I might order

ALJA hi and welcome back I remember you from a long time ago. I wrap as I go throughout the year and put them away in my wardrobe, with the paper I bought in the January sales, then I am not panicking in December

PEPPAPIG I still have wobbly tooth, I bottled it going to the dentist silly person that I am! Glad you have found a plumber that is another weight off your shoulders. Wow a Model Village that sounds brilliant and the GC will love it

VULPIX glad DD2 enjoyed her work, has she changed her mind about giving it up? Well done on the weight loss that is fab, I am still sticking to it but not going on the scales, I can feel it though so must be losing something

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY well done on the weight loss that is fab having to buy new jeans, 2lb a week is great, I am the only one still on it in my house at the moment the kids are struggling although they are still getting SW dinners

DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 17th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I think things are certainly starting to move more rapidly here now. Ordered a touch lamp from Amazon with bluetooth. Spotted it on daily deals yesterday, allegedly reduced from £45 to £16. Did some research and it seems to typically cost around about £25-£30, so still got a bargain. Hopefully my niece will like it!

Need to speed things up on the cakemaking front, so will try & make one on each of the evenings I am home over the next 2 week, hopefully I should be finished by the end of the month. Can't wait until I am able to retire, will be able to find a bit more time to do things!

• freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 17th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 34,163 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, ooh I have just been naughty and ordered myself the Christmassy duvet cover I mentioned yesterday

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY that was a good bargain for the lamp, how many cakes are you making this year?
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,565Users online

Martin's Twitter