Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,122Posts
    • 12,094Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043
Page 43
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 7th Jul 17, 8:52 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 14,366 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    GTQ what's the score now?
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    Still on 3, not convinced any poison has been eaten since either, so who knows?

Saw Superdrug have false eye lashes for £2. We always buy a silly cheap gift, so will get them for my mum. It can remind her of the one & only time she tried them, was in the sixties, dad & my uncle had gone to pub Sunday lunchtime, so she put them on. No comment from the boys when they got back, so she sat there fluttering her eyes at my dad, only for him to utter the immortal words, " have you got something in your eye?" They were ripped off & chucked in bin
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • By 04624181 8th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 4,870 Thanks
    Good Morning All,

Back to work on Monday, cannot wait. There are only 2 weeks left. Popped in yesterday before I picked my DD up and it was nearly a stampede, one of the teachers stood in front of me to protect them knocking me over with their enthusiasm to see me. Nice to be missed x Husband and son will be giving the loft its first coat of paint today. DD and I will be going into town to do a spot of shopping. The kids Mentoes Geyser Tubes arrived, they are going to love them in their stockings. I bought them for them last year and I lost them! keeping the safe in a box of christmas purchases in my wardrobe at the minute. Made 3 craft orders so that will be nearly £60 towards spending money for holidays.

Free- aw, it must be nice to have a disney explosion aswell as the kids back. I love DIsney, have been lucky enough to enjoy Disney florida twice, DD has never been and I would love to take her.
    Peppa- If you live near preston, then you can have their number as that is where they are from but they willing to travel( just not too far lol) It is hard to get reliable workmen.
    Clumsy42- Hope the ESA assessment goes ok. The papercut sounds like a lovely idea. Hope your cardio appt goes well, let us know how you get on.
    Vulpix- I too hate decorating! you sound like you have rescued a bad job with your banister. Your christmas purchases sound nice. A postcard from North Pole, wow! That is lovely x
    GTQ -Crafty little visitors! Lol, that sounds like a fab idea for a gift for your mum x
    • By 04624181 8th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 4,870 Thanks
    productive day- 2 loads of washing on line, been to town and got DD last of holiday bits, also got DD some stocking fillers from smiggle as they had a sale and an extra 20% off. Also got 3 tester pots for DD new bedroom and we have painted them on to see what we like the best. DH and DS are painting the loft.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 8th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 33,745 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, I have been trying to pull a tooth out this morning, it has been loose and giving me gip since last weekend and I cant bear it anymore,DD1 is dragging me to an emergency apt on Monday if she can get one and paying for it so I can stop stressing about going

PEPPAPIG I currently have the clock and candlestick from Beauty and the Beast in my front room accompanying my buddhas its DS who is mad on Disney that is why they went but he didn't buy too much. Oh the poor pigeon what a shame. I'm not surprised you are infuriated with tradesmen no one seems to want the work anymore do they? I hope you get it all sorted soon with some reliable builders

CLUMSY I hope you get the form all sorted it is worrying receiving things like that

VULPIX haha they still do those frozen bananas on a stick. I love that you got a postcard from the North Pole how thoughtful of your DS. Its annoying when you pay for tradesmen and you aren't happy with their work especially the prices paid these days. I noticed there were a few Christmassy things in the Avon book the other day someone popped through the door

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY haha I love the story about your mum and the false eyelashes, men eh!!

04624181 glad you are getting back to work, is it a lot better now? Yes we have been to florida twice and paris once, now its the kids turn to take the grandchildren
    CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE COFFEE SHOP IN KABUL - DEBORAH RODRIGUEZ
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £65
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 9th Jul 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 12,346 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Just read and caught up, PK he is beautiful, mmmm.
    Have got the grandnibs here from across the world. lt is great, they have never been able to just 'go out and play' as they have always lived in high rise flats, in cities, so they are having a wild time. The bikes l got are winners, and the scooters, and DGD has roller boots too. The water fight on the back garden was brilliant 6 kids, 2 hosepipes and assorted water guns. Totally drenched children, wrecked lawn and goodness only knows what my (metered) water bill will be! A good time had by all, worth it.
    They have gone out to get a big breakfast, so, 5 mins alone to tell you all, and to read your news. xx
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 9th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 12,094 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Sounds like a great time is being had by all MrsI.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 9th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 13,339 Thanks
    Peppapig
    MRSINVISIBLE it sounds like everyone is having a fabulous time, the sort of memories they'll take back with them are priceless. Getting the bikes was a great idea and you can't beat a good water fight

0462 it's lovely to hear you're well enough to go back to work. Unfortunately I think I'm just a couple of hundred miles too far for your trades people

We had an amazing day in the garden yesterday cutting down a huge Fatsia and an even bigger unknown shrub so coupled with the mammoth weeding our little back garden is looking much more light and airy. Unfortunately DH is in bed with a migraine today but I'm keeping busy painting/upcycling a table. I'm just living this weather, it's so lovely to have all the windows open from early til late.

Ooh, and I've sold four of my Cath Kidston dresses on one of the FB groups - I loved them last year but I'm just not feeling it this year.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • murie
    • By murie 10th Jul 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    murie
    Free- I hope you can get into the dentist today and sort the troublesome tooth out- toothache is horrendous x Glad the kids had a great time.

Mrs I- you are a fabulous forward thinking Nanny- the bikes, skates and water fights are giving them such a wonderful taste of freedom and lovely memories for them to take back (and some for you to store up too) x

046 Glad you are starting to feel a bit better especially as you have a holiday looming x

GTQ- I can understand the eyelashes giving you all a giggle- I bet your Mom could have' lamped' your dad!

Vulpix- has your DD made up her mind about her job yet? There is ALWAYS a 'crush' involved when they start being difficult in my experience!

Clumsy- good luck with the ESA forms and try not to get too stressed (easier said than done ) x

Peppa- sounds as if you are really getting to grips with this gardening lark! Its great when you can actually see the benefit of what you have done in the garden isn't it? You will be out there morning noon and night soon! Hope DH is better today. How is the table going?

Newthrift- Congratulations! Hope you are all doing well x
    Last edited by murie; 10-07-2017 at 8:06 AM.
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 10th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 13,979 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi,just a quick one to say Matalan have a sale at the moment.Lots of candles from £1-£3 other bits at silly money.

Well the car boot money plus more is spent.I so enjoyed it.I don't have an income and can ask Mr V for money whenever I want but it was nice to have my own dosh.He was shocked that I spent £50 on cushions I also bought DD2 new school trousers.The elasticated ones they wear always stretch at the backside and I couldnt stand to see her wear them anymore.I also maybe have bought a load of reduced plants from B&Q.I wanted to get a set of planters from Morrisons which I had seen a few days ago.Sold out and I'm not surprised,£16 for a set of 4 which is a very good price for that kind of thing.

GTQ Your Mum will get a giggle from the false eyelashes.I always try to get a silly present for them all too.

Free,thinking of you at the dentist.

0462 take it easy at work today

Go Peppa with the gardening.I was reading that if you see where your dog wees pour a watering can of water on the spot and it helps save the grass.Just for when you get a dog.You will be watching Monty Don in no time,worth it to see his dogs alone.

MrsI what a lovely picture I am imagining of your lovely grandchildren having the time of their lives playing out in the lovely part of the world where you live.They will reminisce to their grandchildren about it

The DD2 job saga continues.She didnt go on Saturday.Mr V at work all day.Off she went to the station to find there was a train strike.She messaged her boss to say she would be very late as she had to walk 3 miles to the next village to get a train from another line.She told her to have the day off.So she went to the carnival afterall! If I had known I would have got my friend to take her but I was out doing volunteer gardening.I never have my phone on me anyway. She WILL be going next week come hell or high water.

Oh also got 2 bottles of bison grass vodka from M's.On offer at £15.One each for the shopping bag couple gifts.I got into it on a trip to Poland where they drink it with apple juice.I am not a drinker but it is very nice.

I was still awake at 3am this morning making plans of all the jobs I need to do.Nah will go with Mr V to pick his new glasses up instead.Jobs will still be there another day

Vx
    Last edited by vulpix; 10-07-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 10th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 14,366 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    042 - how sweet of the kids to make a beeline for you.

Mrs I - I know how the kids feel about playing, I was born in London, so when we went home to acres of fields around the house, we thought we had died & gone to heaven. We also had the advantage of having the only car in the village, to the road was our oyster also!

Free, - hope the tootle has been sorted.

Murie - Believe it or not, "lamped" is the expression my mum uses!

Booked my spring break with my friend yesterday, we are off to Krakow for a long weekend. £106 2 return flights including 1 bag in cargo (we know how to shop!) & £350 for 5* hotel for 4 nights. Was there about about 20 years ago so will be interesting to how it has changed since they joined the EU

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 11th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 33,745 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Morning everyone, I bought my first main christmas present last night I ordered a Kindle Fire Kids Edition for Thumper. I had it in my mind that was what I was going to get and then on Amazon Prime Day they had £30 off of it so I snapped it up, I was umming and ahhing about him being too young for it but it actually says from 12 months, plus it has a 2 year warranty if it breaks no questions asked they will replace it, it should be here later today

MRSINVISIBLE aww it sounds idyllic for the grandchildren I bet they are having the time of their lives

PEPPAPIG your garden sounds lovely, well done on selling your dresses on FB isn't it funny how we change our minds about things

MURIE how did your holiday go? Glad you survived the plane journey back

VULPIX glad you are enjoying spending your earnings

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY ooh your weekend in Krakow sounds bargainous, I hope you have a lovely time

DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 11th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 14,366 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Morning everyone, I bought my first main christmas present last night I ordered a Kindle Fire Kids Edition for Thumper. e

Originally posted by freespirit66
    I bought 2 Fire 7's for the littlies in Egypt & then had to buy one for myself, which I can leave in bedroom, instead of having to take ipad in there Were a bargain though at £30 each. Didn't see much else to float my boat though.

• murie
    • By murie 12th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    murie
    Vulpix- your Christmas bags will be bulging by the time the big day comes around! Im like that too- awake til silly hours planning etc- very rarely gets done either!

GTQ- that's a good idea to leave a tablet in the bedroom for surfing and making lists etc.

Free- that's an excellent idea for Thumper! It will 'grow' with him. Yes I had a wonderful holiday thank you- Venice is as beautiful as I remembered it - it was nice to have some girly time with DD.

It seems we are picking up a bit now for Christmas with some of us buying Christmas presents. Christmas in July on QVC soon- I hope its better than the last few years though as they have been a bit meh.
    Its full steam ahead for me now with DDs 21st party (Sunday). At 6.15am I was blowing up balloons to hang from the ceiling- the pantry is now chock -a -block full of balloons so its going to be a challenge to get the vacuum out!
    lovin' this site!
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 12th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 33,745 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY great minds think alike No nothing else took my fancy either but I am chuffed I got it now

MURIE glad you had a lovely break, Venice is a beautiful city I agree. Wow you are super organised for DDs 21st if you are blowing up balloons already, I cant wait to see pics with all your clever decorations and gorgeous food and cake

DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • murie
    • By murie 12th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    murie
    Free- the reason I am having to be organised so early is because she has booked leave from tonight til next Friday so I wont be able to do anything whilst she is around. I don't know about the food being gorgeous- I will settle for edible! I have yet to get the cake dummies back from moms house (where I hid them) but that will have to wait til Friday. Im a bit upset that she will see the cake in progress before the day but it cant be helped- hopefully it will turn out the way I have in mind (doubt it cus they never do lol). I will post pics (if not on here then on IG).
    Hope everyone is well, its a lot cooler today here- I have a cardi on!
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 12th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 13,979 Thanks
    vulpix
    Murie,I second what Free said.Would love to see some pics of your do.I have never been to Venice,would you recommend it?

The bags for the adult couples are shopping bags so will hold a lot.So far I have made sun dried tomatoes in olive oil.Tomato ketchup and rhubarb and strawberry jam.Bought vodka,coasters,measuring cups,ski socks and bubble baths for the girls,a book for my son,playing cards for him,Sweet f a for DD1's BF.He likes beer but his Dads got a micro brewery,He likes chilli and dark chocolate.Thats what I got for him last year! He is outdoorsy but has all the kit he would ever need.He is into gaming and has every gadget and game,i think it might be socks for him! Actually DD1 was saying the other day that he has about 100 pairs!TBH thats why I'm doing a couples bag and giving them some money too.I have been saving the red nets off fruit punnets and will make bags of coins with real money like the chocolate coins they always get.

Also have no clue as to what to get MIL.She says don't get anything but would be upset if we actually didn't get her anything.

Time yet for inspiration to hit.

Vx
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 12th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Hope you don't mind me stopping by, love lurking on this thread and slowly starting to make some preparations for Christmas (first in this house!)

Vulpix - An idea for your MIL, I saw a picture on Pinterest of a pair of warm slippers, with some nice handcream, bottle of bubble bath and some other little bits stuffed in to the slippers themselves, and then tied with ribbon. Would something like that be suitable for her? (You could always get her some specifically Christmas-themed slippers if she's already got a decent pair)

My Christmas buying so far has been some very nice nail polishes for my youngest sister, which were on offer. For once my sisters are a little easier to buy for than the rest of the family, going to make a "horror" box for first sister (horror movies, some chocolate, maybe a blanket to hide under), second sister is going to get Moana and Wonderwoman DVDs, plus the nailpolishes and some chocolate. Parents are gluten free and have significantly cut down on alcohol, and Dad is also sugar free, so I'm a little stuck for ideas there. There's only so many books I can before I feel like I'm stocking a library!

Brother is easy, I always just get him a "bag of chocolate", literally a carrier bag with a variety of chocolate bought from Tesco and Thorntons XD
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in August 2017 - £0/£93 (2017 total - £112.98) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments - £749.69
    • murie
    • By murie 13th Jul 17, 6:09 AM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    murie
    Vulpix- I will try to post pics as I go along, otherwise all I will be posting is a post party mess and a half eaten cake!
    I would definitely recommend Venice, such a beautiful city with a rich history (I sound like a tour guide !). We stayed in a hotel that had gorgeous venetian furniture and a canal view (google Hotel Al Vagon) which was lovely. Beware that if you need to get somewhere that is a minute away on the map you will need to walk a mile to get to it! Our feet were mighty painful at the end of each day. Also it is VERY expensive! We wanted to eat at Cafe Florian where story has it that Casanova stopped off for a cheeky little coffee after escaping from prison before he legged it to France to build his reputation for being a ladies man! It cost us 64.40 Euro (cant find the Euro symbol on the keyboard!) for a frozen coffee a small pot of rose hip tea and two small cakes!!! We knew it was going to be expensive before we went as we had looked on Trip adviser but BLOOMING HECK not that dear!! Having said that it is a gorgeous little cafe salon with amazing frescos and furniture. Visit if possible but take lots of plasters sensible walking shoes and a healthy bank balance! I was proud of myself as I overcame my claustrophobia about the plane which was a massive thing for me. Im looking forward to doing a few city breaks now that I know I can do it.

How about some suncreams or moisturisers for DD1s BF if he is outdoorsy? Has he got facial hair, cus there are loads of kits around for beards etc nowadays. ( Suncreams will be cheaper after the holiday season too).

VIntageHistorian- Welcome! Sounds as if you have some good ideas there!

I made some more smaller flowers yesterday towards the party- I think I have gone off the idea now cus I am all 'flowered out!'
    Last edited by murie; 13-07-2017 at 6:11 AM.
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 13th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 13,979 Thanks
    vulpix
    Morning,

Welcome VH.Thanks for the idea for MIL.I think your idea of a bag of chocolate would be more up her street. Yes I will just buy her loads of chocolate and fill a gift bag.Thank You.

Murie,venice does sound interesting and very expensive.I will suggest it to DD1,we were toying with the idea of a little break away together.We were thinking of Grenada.So many places to visit,spoiled for choice.

Bloomin well done on flying.No stopping you now.

What a marvellous idea for sun cream for DD1's BF.Inspired Murie! Perfect!he is a rock climbing instructor and also climbs when not at work.And.. he is blonde.He looks like a very tall,very muscly member of a boy band!No facial hair,Think he is too fair but Oh yes skin care products are also on the cards for him

Craft group at mine today,better get up.

Laters Vx
    • murie
    • By murie 13th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    murie
    Vulpix- look on Feel Unique for men's sets, they are usually reasonably priced and there is often a code knocking around for pennies off. (there is 20% off Elemis at the moment). DS has VERY sensitive skin and finds he can use Elemis with no issues. Hope the craft group meeting was productive.
    lovin' this site!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,707Posts Today

6,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin