Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,134Posts
    • 12,205Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 42
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 1st Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Was making a Christmas cake earlier with iPod on shuffle. Just what you need when Christmas songs come on suddenly, feeling Christmassy now
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 1st Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,139 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone,

PEPPAPIG I hope everything went well today and you made some amazing memories

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY oh that amaz*n are so sneaky putting the price back up so quickly. I laughed when I read about you making a Christmas cake and listening to Christmas songs

MURIE OMG they are fab you really do have an eye for pretty crafts, DD will be thrilled. Yes the peace and quiet will be shattered tomorrow though as I have Thumper from 6.15am tomorrow for the day while mum and dad go to Goodwood. I cant wait even though I will be shattered tomorrow night. Ooh that recipe looks so lush I have copied and pasted it and will make it next time we all get together thankyou.

VULPIX ooh that cheesecake sounds delicious too I bet it still tasted good! Oh what a shame about DD2 wanting to give up her job, will she not miss the money?

CURRENTLY READING THE HUNDRED YEAR OLD MAN WHO CLIMBED OUT OF THE WINDOW
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £75
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 3rd Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,139 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, where is everyone I kept thinking my laptop wasn't refreshing the page properly I had a really lovely day with Thumper yesterday I have so missed being on my own with him, we had great fun and this diet must be working as I wasn't as tired as I thought I would be after getting up so early and running around after him all day and DD2 and OH had a fab day at Goodwood, I hope everyone has had a good weekend x
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 3rd Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Afternoon everyone, where is everyone I kept thinking my laptop wasn't refreshing the page properly I had a really lovely day with Thumper yesterday I have so missed being on my own with him, we had great fun and this diet must be working as I wasn't as tired as I thought I would be after getting up so early and running around after him all day and DD2 and OH had a fab day at Goodwood, I hope everyone has had a good weekend x
    Originally posted by freespirit66
    Thought of you this morning, how you would have reacted to my first sight of the week! Dead squatter, right outside bathroom door

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • By 04624181 3rd Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    Afternoon My lovely christmas lovers,

Sorry I have been a bit quiet. I actually got up out of bed for a few hours on Saturday and Sunday. Felt very dizzy but back feels alot better than it was. Plasterers finished yesterday and it looks amazing! we are so happy with it. Been up resting on the couch all day today, getting better everyday so Im sure I will be back at work before I know it.

Free- Lol I keep thinking this year I am working so need to get a head start on things. July may be a bit too early, even for me lol Sounds like you had a lovely day with Thumper x
    Murie- Absolutely amazing! what a talented lady you are, they really do look fantatsic
    Peppa- Hope you had an amazing day, wold love to see some piccies xx
    GTQ- Glad you came to a decision. Christmas songs and christmas cake, sounds like a perfect afternoon x Oh no! A dead squatter outside your bathroom sounds horrendous!

The make your own story book I ordered for DD came but they sent the wrong thing so Im waiting to see what they want me to do. Also her ZhuZHu pets gift came. It has far more things attached than it stated so she will love it.
    DD has asked for a goldfish when she gets her new bedroom!
    Dont know if I mentioned that both DD and DS want a mini fridge in their bedrooms so that is another gift I can get them and fill with goodies. Ds wants one as he is the loft and wants to store drinks in it to save him having to come down 2 flights of stairs. DD wants one because DS wants one lol

watching stocking stuffer videos for great ideas. determined to buy fun or useful things as gifts this year.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 3rd Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Oh no! A dead squatter outside your bathroom sounds horrendous.
    Originally posted by 04624181
    Got home to find another in the bathroom, well I thought I did, was shocked when I was trying to get him out of the poison that it was still alive have left him to die in there, better have happened when I am going to bed

• By 04624181 4th Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    Morning all,

So tired, wouldnt think I would be as all I did was get out of bed and lie on the couch lol.
    Dr has given me a months sick note, not 2 weeks as previously stated. he must be worried as he is notorious for not writing sick notes! I feel ok though.
    Going to spend the day doing pottering about. may put some christmas movies on too. we go away 2 weeks on saturday!
    GTQ- oh no! i hope the visitor has deceased when you revisitd it yuk!
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 4th Jul 17, 9:17 AM
    • 2,688 Posts
    • 16,316 Thanks
    nic2075
    Morning. I have been busy at work wrapping everything up ready for the move back into our newly built kitchen. We have been cooking in another school and transporting and serving in the school foyer for a year! It's been a tough year. But our new kitchen and gym hall is amazing. Will actually be looking forward to going back after the school holidays lol.
    I am now finished up (we finish up the end of June up here).

I am now relaxing in a caravan in Hartlepool.
    It's our second Sun holiday this year. The kids just love it.
    I need to keep the costs low though. I had to pay a big unexpected bill before we left. Which has left me £70 to spend til Friday! I still need to go and get food. So going to go to Aldi and stock up on pasta. Will treat the kids to fish and chips on Friday night.
    Hoping to have a day at the site today as it's rainy. Going swimming and the kids brought some 2p's for the arcade. Then hopefully head to the beach and parks through the week. Fingers crossed the sun comes back.

Hope you are all ok?

04624181, hope you are on the mend soon x
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 4th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 2,688 Posts
    • 16,316 Thanks
    nic2075
    Hi all, please say hello to baby Joshua, born last Monday weighing 8lbs 1oz:

I know some of you have seen him on Instagram but it's only right he's introduced to the Christmas thread.

The timing wasn't great as we were in hospital for the mega heatwave so we were desperate to get out in the end but we've been home a few days now and the weather has definitely cooled off! I'm currently looking out the window at clouds and rain! Is it too much to ask for a sunny day but not too hot? I love being British and never happy with the weather!

I haven't really been able to catch up so I hope you're all ok and i'll hopefully be able to keep up again now, I have more hours in the day now that i'm up half the night again!
    Originally posted by princesskitty29
    Aww congratulations princesskitty. He is just gorgeous xx
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 4th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 14,304 Thanks
    vulpix
    Aww PK he is indeed the most beautiful baby.

Well it's good to hear the mouse population is on the decrease at last.Good to see them too,you don't want them to go off hiding themselves in places you can't get at!

0462 I am pleased that you are up and pottering.Make the most of it.You will be the most ready for Christmas that you have ever been.It must be hard though not to set to and be decorating and lugging furniture about in your new rooms.

Free whats the secret to the diet then? I try to stick to about 1000 calories a day with a bit more at week ends and all that does is maintain my weight.I can't do "exercise" any more,I am at a loss.If I eat less my stomach ulcer complains.Perhaps I need a little grandson to run round after.

We persuaded DD2 to stick with the job.I think there is a boy involved somewhere.

Well the bootsale was great.We sold loads and I made 90 odd pounds and DD1 made 40 odd.I did have a lot more stuff than her.
    I have spent this morning looking for more stuff to do another one.

I also had all my Christmas stuff out. It is meagre.I know I said it would be just token gifts and give them all money but I like to see a fair amount of stuff.I am struggling for DD1's BF.

I wish now that I had bought more Duff beer from Lidl when I saw it.

Nic 2075 Have a lovely holiday.I went on a couple of sun holidays years ago when my eldest 2 were small.Good times.I tried this year and failed.It has speeded up considerably these days with the internet ans I wasnt prepared!

Murie I am completely useless at anything I T .It is amazing I can do this!I will get DD1 on the case so I can see all your photos.I cant even use my iphone.The family despair.

I am going in the loft now.Mining for treasure for the next sale.

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 4th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 13,651 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Evening all 😁

The renewal day was lovely, we really enjoyed it and everyone liked my dress, especially DH so I must have made the right choice. I'll post a pic once I remind myself how to do it lol. At the moment we're having a couple of days in the Cotswolds but we're off home tomorrow.

GTQ that sounds awful, the dead one would be bad enough but the not quite dead one must have been even worse. Still as VULPIX said the silver lining is that at least you didn't have to hunt for them.

0462 I'm so glad you're able to move from your bed and how fab that the plasterers have finished and made a good job of it. Make sure you don't push yourself too hard though, you need to be able to enjoy your holiday and your doc has signed you off for a month for a reason! Sounds like you've got quite a few pressies mapped out now, the fridges are a great idea.

NIC looking forward to going to work is def a bonus lol. Hope the sun shines for you for the rest of the week.

VULPIX yay to the boot sale success! Decluttering is great but decluttering and earning £90 is better still lol.

I bought a (possible) Christmas pressie today (first one) - it's a Belgian chocolate set in what looks like a hat box - small bars of eating choc, sachets of drinking choc and a mug. It was reduced from £24 to £10 so I bought one. Expiry date is Jan 2018 so will be ok for Christmas just not sure who for. Hope it's not going to be one of those that ends up not being any good for anyone.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 5th Jul 17, 9:18 AM
    • 3,415 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Another one bites the dust!

• By 04624181 5th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    Good Afternoon everyone,

Well Im still in my PJS! Going to jump in the shower and then have some lunch. On the phone all morning ticking different things off the to do list. Just 2 more to do phew!
    Nothing more christmassy to report, having fun with this amazon seller who sent me the wrong parcel. They want me to pay postage and packaging and send it back and then they will send the other one out LOL Not going to happen!
    Just waiting for my china orders to arrive and then I can put those away.
    Feeling so much better but itching to clean this house and get painting lol!
    Nic2075- Thank you- hope you have a lovely break x
    Vulpix- well done with your job negotiations, can you come and persuade my sister to get a job! lol You did well at your bootsale, cant blame for you for hunting for new stuff for the next one.
    Peppa- So glad you had an amazing day. Cotswolds sounds lovely too. Cannot wait to see your pics x Belgian chocolate set sounds amazing x
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 5th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 14,304 Thanks
    vulpix
    GTQ
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 5th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,139 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY omg I would have needed a defibulator ??sp?? if I had come across that and then the one that wasn't quite dead ewwww!!!!

VULPIX haha I have no secret I think not getting on the scales and no disappointment helps me to stick to it, plus having a little pile of syns at the end of the day helps me stay on track. Well done on making that much at the car boot sale it makes it all worth getting up so early doesn't it?

04624181 glad to hear you are up and about a little bit now, go careful. My kids used to have mini fridges in their bedrooms when they were younger too

NIC have a fab holiday, enjoy making memories with the kids

PEPPAPIG glad you enjoyed your big day and are having a few days in the Cotswolds, you deserve it.
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 7th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,139 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, blimey its so quiet on here no one has posted for two days I hope everyone is well and just busy soaking up the sunshine.......not me haha. The kids are back had a lovely time in Paris and Disneyland evidence of this all over the house now . Just about to put the tennis on as its too hot for housework
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 7th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 13,651 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I agree FREE, I've got a little bit of ironing to do but it's going to have to wait. Does your place resemble the Disney Store at the mo?

Have been pottering round getting jobs done and I've got a dolls house to finish decorating and some pictures to put up. Babysitting this evening then plumber coming in the morning to quote for moving the kitchen plumbing to its new room and replacing the bath with a shower. Original plumber is just too hard to get hold of and unreliable. I can't believe we're two months down the line and the only person I've been able to book for the big kitchen move is the electrician! 0462 I'm totally jealous of your plasterers/carpenter - could you throw them this way lol?

GTQ what's the score now?

DBIL found a stunned/dead pigeon in their garden yesterday, it spent the day laid in a box in the cool stone shed. Need to message them and find out how it is, I suspect dead though.
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 7th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Afternoon all.

Got a letter and form for re-assessment of ESA yesterday. Could do without that stress.

Did some shopping today. Got some Almond Conditioning Hand Wash in Body Shop at 30% off 2. One of the few nice handwashes I can find that doesn't have soap in. My skin really doesn't like soap.

Had some ideas for Christmas presents. Decided I'm going to make my sister in law another papercut. She likes the floral skull I did a few years back so hopefully she'll like my idea for this time. If I start thinking about it now it might be done by December.

Got my next GP appt. on Wednesday. I'll let you all know after if I'm referred to Cardiology.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 7th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 13,651 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Oh dear CLUMSY, letters from the DWP are rarely good news. Hope all goes well on Wednesday and cardio or not let's hope someone can give you some answers and get you sorted.

Update on the pigeon......I messaged my sis to ask her how it was and her reply was 'stiff' apparently BIL has given it a woodland burial
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 7th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 14,304 Thanks
    vulpix
    Oooo Clumsy those letters are stressful I agree.I was so stressed when I had forms for tax credits back in the day.Fingers crossed for your GP visit.

Free,Disney land! Fantastic,it is 20 years since I have been,I would love us all to go again sometime.You really get into it when you are there and of course you have to exit every ride through a shop!I worked in California in the 80's and went to Disneyland there,I remember having a frozen banana on a stick!

Peppa it's difficult finding reliable people to do work.Once I have decided to do something I want it done now which doesn't help.Why and where are you moving the kitchen?I'm a sucker for house renovations.Poor bird,at least it didn't meet it's end with a cat.

We are not having much of a summer up here.Not cold but not sunny.I have decided to get my finger out and do some decorating.A bit every day.Whats the phrase about eating an elephant one bite at a time.I HATE DECORATING.We had someone to do the stairs before Christmas and I am not over impressed.All the paint on the banister was chipped as he didnt use undercoat.I questioned it at the time and he said it would be fine,I didnt see him do any sanding either.I have scraped all the paint off with a veg knife and think I may leave it brown.It has been heavily varnished and tbh it looks ok with the spindles white.

I have picked up a few bits for Christmas.Some soaps and a soap dish,Sanderson £2 from fb and some little bubble baths from Avon,think they were 75p.I also got as a joke pressie for my son a frame and scissors to grow a topiary squirrel. He has been saying he wants to come home and plant a garden.That was £3.50 .

I received a postcard from him yesterday from a place called North Pole in Alaska.He knows I would like that

Take Care all Vx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,000Posts Today

6,776Users online

Martin's Twitter