Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,133Posts
    • 12,201Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 39
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 18th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I know the feeling VULPIX, we babysat the DGSs last night and they were both up at 5 this morning. Weather was fab though, we were in the garden with the paddling pool out by 8 and I was definitely ready for lunch by 10.30!

Following up on the artificial grass idea, I tested it today at DD's and I definitely found it very hot to walk on once it had been in strong sun. Cools quickly once shaded but could be an issue if you have dogs that like to be out in the sun. I tended to get off the hot bits as quickly as possible. Fine for people cos we can put flip flops on or something but it could be pretty hot for pads.

Must have some lunch now, I'm fading fast lol.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 18th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,137 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, phew it is very very hot here it was 26 degrees at 9 am this morning

PEPPAPIG have a lovely time with your friends I had visions of you turning up in just the shoes and bag then pity I have not got movies 24

VULPIX hope the hospital appt went ok, mine was very short and sweet plus bloods I was out within an hour!! My kids love tapas that will be great. Loving that you are doing a Christmas tree skirt haha

MRSINVISIBLE yayay you must be so excited to see them all, don't wear yourself out with preparations though. I am lazy I can easily sit still watching films

04624181 I hope your back is easing off now and you have not done damage to your discs. Thankyou for the offer again about advice with the colitis I will know where to come if I need advice its all quite settled on these meds with just days here and there where its hard to manage. I hope the trial helps DH that would be great for him

MURIE hope you are having fun today at the good food show

CURRENTLY READING THE HUNDRED YEAR OLD MAN WHO CLIMBED OUT OF THE WINDOW
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £75
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 19th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Wow I've finally caught up! Spent the past few days reading several pages. That'll teach me to go so long without reading/posting.

Hello then everyone. Glad to see you're all still here.

Update on the heart front: Am gradually coming off the medication they think is causing the high HR (Can't come off straight away. Withdrawal symptoms! ). If doing that hasn't improved matters I'll probably be referred to a cardiologist. What fun.

I'm still volunteering every week. And since I was on last I've been on holiday with my parents and sister. Down south for a week, was very nice. But quite tiring because we stayed somewhere up 5 flights of stairs.

I'm having ideas for Christmas presents now. But currently fairly ahead with birthdays! Must write down all the ideas I'm having before I forget them all come Autumn.

Will be back soon. I promise.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 21st Jun 17, 9:49 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 14,303 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hello good people of Christmas land.

Remind me again about me asking for some of your hot weather?

I can't get anything done! too hot for gardening,too hot for painting!

Clumsy,Lets hope coming off the drugs will sort the problem.5 flights of stairs!!!
    like a fitness boot camp.

Did have a day out with DD1 on Monday.She rents a house with her BF in Sheffield.She wants to brighten up her yard.We went pot and plant shopping.B&Q are very good at reducing plants.Mostly because they dont look after them too well and most are just thirsty.She had a great haul of pots and plants for £40.I can't believe she is asking my advice on anything.Good old Mum.Mind she has to do all my I T jobs. Tonight we are going over to help her plant up.

Step son came and fixed the gate to the wall,not painted yet.

Yesterday we sorted out DD2's bedroom.2 loads of washing found and loads of glasses and tea spoons recovered.Masses of rubbish binned and stacks of clothes and shoes for the fancy carboot.We have yet to do her bookcase and another set of drawers.So there are about 20 odd socks.Where are the others????????????????????

DD2 has gone with school to visit a college today.She has no clue what she would like to do.I wish she could leave school and get a job in a shop or something.Not everyone has the inclination for further education. Finding clothes for this prompted the clean out of her room.She likes owning clothes but wears the same old jeans and tee shirt all the time.I find this hard as Me n her sister lurve clothes.DD1 is proud of the fact that she never wore the same outfit twice at 6th form.

DD1 gave me some clothes of mine that I had given her for a carboot last year. Ooo like free shopping,why did I get rid? wore one top yesterday.

Laters Vx
    Last edited by vulpix; 21-06-2017 at 9:52 AM.
    • By 04624181 21st Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    Good Morning all! I wrote a post yesterday and lost it, no idea how! lol
    Well I had to admit defeat, ended up in tears climbing the stairs on my hands and knees on friday and saturday. Have had a trip to see a locum Dr who gave me a sick note for 2 weeks and a cocktail of stronger drugs that makes me fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Pain is still there but the edge is taken off with the tablets. There is no way I can stay off for 2 weeks! I am climbing the walls with boredom already.

Vulpix- Lady you amaze me! I wish I had your get up and go
    Peppa- sounds like an amazing day with the grandkids.
    Free- The weather has been lovely and Im lay on my bed thinking about how much washing I could of had out on the line lol
    Clumsy42- Lovely to see you back. Hope they manage to get you sorted out. I have been watching some christmas vlogs to try and get some fun gift ideas for the kids.

I am debating getting us all new stockings with our names embroidered on this year. Really been concentrating on christmas this week as its been cheering me up.
    Want to get some more fun games for the kids as we love laying games.
    May swap things around this year, may have my mum and sister for breakfast this year and see if my dad wants to come for chrsitmas dinner. We will see.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 21st Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,137 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Morning everyone, omg I cant stand this heat anymore its just too hot for me, and the poor dog is struggling. I hope you ladies who love it are enjoying it.

CLUMSY I hope they get your meds sorted as quick as possible, glad you enjoyed your holiday although a bit tiring

VULPIX I wish I had your energy Isnt it lovely having a really big clearout very cathartic

04624181 oh my lovely take care of yourself it sounds agony, don't worry about the washing just concentrate on getting your back better
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 21st Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 14,303 Thanks
    vulpix
    0462 I feel your pain,I really do.Rest a while,it might give whatever you have upset a chance to calm down.Reduce swelling or whatever.Just think as today is the longest day,we are on the home straight to Christmas from tomorrow.Please look after yourself.

Vxxxxxxxxx
    • By 04624181 22nd Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    Morning all,
    Can confirm the diazapan is definitely working! I can be reading/on laptop and then I face plant the pillow for 2 hours lol.
    Pain has eased off, going to knock the diazapan off today and reduce the co codamol just so I can let Dr know how it is truly feeling tomorrow. Another day laying on my bed ding christmas research. I do keep getting up and walking around upstairs, also doing my physio exercises.
    Getting very excited watching youtube christmas vlogs for ideas. Going to make it an amazing year!
    free- Thank you for your message, we are so used to taking care of everybody I forget how to just sit and relax.
    Vulpix- I know you know how I feel, I feel like when the pain wins I am being soft. I plough through it and end up immobilisied. when will i learn lol. I lost hours on ebay and alibabaexpress yesterday. Getting excited xx
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 22nd Jun 17, 9:17 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 14,303 Thanks
    vulpix
    0462 You are not being soft,good luck at the Dr's.

Now canny shoppers,last year I remember seeing square LP sized frames in one of the pound shops I think.Couldn't think of a use for them at the time and now they are just what I want for DD2's birthday.She has bought some LP's! Just to collect,not play.So if anyone sees any frames please give me a shout.There are no shops like that where I live.Ikea have them but I would rather go cheaper if I could.We are going to surprise her with some of our old picture discs framed for her birthday.She will also be getting her Mum's jewellery box and a picture I will make with 1p's one for every year since she was born.Not found a 2017 one yet.

I had to take DD1's car to the garage today so took the opportunity whilst waiting to buy a bag DD2 always admires when we are out.(for birthday)

I am glad it is cooler,I intend to do some painting tomorrow.

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 24th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    Peppapig
    FREE you can relax, the red shoes and bag were well accessorised with clothing Glad to see you posting.

CLUMSY, nice to see you back. Good luck with the med reduction, hope it sorts the heart rate out but if it doesn't make sure you push to get it investigated, don't let anyone fob you off.

VULPIX, hope the planting up went well with DD1. The Range do frames like Ikea but cheaper, I'm going there this week at some point so I'll have a look for you. What size do you need? I got rid of all my LPs ages ago so can't measure one.

0462, how is the pain now? Are you still resting? Don't reduce the pain meds too soon, I did that after my surgery and I def wouldn't do it again lol.

Had a fabulous day at Ascot for Ladies Day on Thursday, the executive coach was lovely and we had shortbread, cherries and drinks as soon as we boarded, champagne all the way, a lovely lunch with white tablecloths and China when we got there then cheese, biscuits and fruit when we started back and then lovely little hot sausages, yum! Ascot was great although some areas a bit less upmarket than I'd expected. I saw the Queen in real life, which I didn't think mattered to me but actually did, and the horses and atmosphere were amazing. Unfortunately I also saw a fight, which apparently never happens, think it was reported in some of the papers. Def the fault of one party, some people should really not be allowed out. We might be going again next year and if we do I'm definitely sticking to the classier areas. Saw some lovely outfits, and a few frightful ones.
    • By 04624181 24th Jun 17, 2:28 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    Hi everybody,
    Went back to see my GP yesterday, not great news. he suspects herniated disc at L1/L2 level.Am on strict bed rest and have to check back in with GP every 2 weeks.
    The kids at school each wrote me a get well soon card. 30 cards with amazing messages, had me in tears!
    Got electrician/joiner here so its not very peaceful lol.
    House looks like a bomb has hit it and my OCD is making me twitch as all I want to do is clean up. Im being good though and have not moved from bed. Doing the exercises I know by heart from physio as I have already been here twice before. Have told them if it does not go back in ( they usually say if it hasnt gone back in within 6 weeks then it probably wont) then I will not have surgery.

On a brighter note, im watching hallmark christmas movies and christmas vlogs on youtube to cheer me up.

Vulpix- I remember seeing some LP frames in home bargains a while ago. will ask my mum to check when she next goes in.
    Peppa- I can confirm I am resting as I really do not want to have to go through all this spinal stuff again. want to give the disc the best chance I can to repair. I have increased my painkillers again so I can be more comfortable.

hope everybody else is ok xx

Am looking at christmas trees as we trashed ours last year.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 24th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,137 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, we have been doing some tidying in the garden we have a huge problem with bind weed the garden and anything stood still is covered in it

04624181 sorry to hear your back is still bad I'm glad the Christmas vlogs are helping haha

PEPPAPIG I'm glad you had a lovely day at Ascot, I have lived near there since I was 10 and I have never been except to Christmas fairs or craft fairs. I did read about the fight and saw it, ridiculous I'm surprised it didn't kick off into a bigger melee, there was a big one a few years back in the car park

VULPIX I will keep an eye out for the frames for you
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 24th Jun 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    Peppapig
    FREE I think the security staff were concerned about that. They did intervene but didn't make any moves to evict the man and his companions as I think they knew he wouldn't go quietly and it could escalate. When the police eventually got there they did the removal. To be honest I was horrified, it was disgusting. I hate anything like that anyway but it was just so unexpected. If I go next year I am absolutely staying in the posh bits lol.

0462 I'm glad to hear you're resting like a good girl. Really hope you're out of pain soon.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 25th Jun 17, 7:10 AM
    • 5,578 Posts
    • 15,926 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Morning ladies,
    Anyone doing a hot chocolate station Aldi are doing a two tiered rack with 6 jars for £19-99 today . sorry computer says no to links !

Weather permitting we are going to Bransby horse sanctuary on Tuesday its such a nice day out.

Christmas wise its coming along nicely ,Dd has asked for a new ipod so that will be a last minute buy and hubby wants Amazon vouchers.

I hope everyone has a lovely day , roll on 3pm when i finish work .
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 25th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 12,201 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Morning ladies,
    Anyone doing a hot chocolate station Aldi are doing a two tiered rack with 6 jars for £19-99 today . sorry computer says no to links !

Weather permitting we are going to Bransby horse sanctuary on Tuesday its such a nice day out.

Christmas wise its coming along nicely ,Dd has asked for a new ipod so that will be a last minute buy and hubby wants Amazon vouchers.

I hope everyone has a lovely day , roll on 3pm when i finish work .
    Originally posted by CHRISSYG
    I think that I've found the link - you can only buy online

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crofton-jars-with-silver-scoop/p/077061143309300

Or

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crofton-glass-jars-with-white-scoop/p/077061154001401

Hope this helps!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 25th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    0462 - Sorry to hear your back is misbehaving! Hope it settles soon.

Went to a wedding yesterday. Lovely, but I sure am tired today. Not sure how people do the whole big social event thing. Well I suppose most people dont have chronic illnesses.

I've been looking at the new Hobbycraft Christmas range. Looks lovely. Never seem to get round to making cards anymore. And the shops do such pretty ready made ones nowadays.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone. xx
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • By 04624181 25th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    good morning all!

I am in such a Christmassy mood. Husband has brought the spare TV into our bedroom so yesterday afternoon was spent watching films snuggled up to my DD. We ordered a few bit for the kids bedrooms, they are getting beyond excited now! We now have electricity in the loft bedroom. The electrician is also a joiner so he is doing some storage in the eaves for us as I type. A crack had appeared in our bedroom ceiling due to drilling above us in loft and 100 years worth of dust has fell through the ceiling into my bedroom. I have not laughed so much in ages! It was like something out of a carry on film.
    Am I daft to want to get some lovely embroidered stockings? I had some made in 2015 that are painted onto a felt stocking. They are little cartoon versions of us, which I love. Am I just spending for spending sake?

Free- Bind weed sound horrendous. Just had to google it. Christmas vlogs are helping me stay sane at the moment. Have even started buying some stocking fillers for the kids lol.
    Peppa- Thank you, I am being a model patient as I want to get up and back to normal as soon as possible. I am busy writing DIY lists, Christmas stocking lists, christmas gift ides, baked christmas gift ideas etc etc. That is what is keeping me lay in bed and sane.
    ChrissyG- Thanks for the heads up on the chocolate stations, they sound amazing!
    3forholidays- thanks for the link they look great
    Clumsy42- Wedding sounds nice, a chronic illness is enough to deal with on a day to day basis. Try and rest up today.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 25th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 14,303 Thanks
    vulpix
    0462 I hope your back is beginning to mend.Proper comedy situation with you in bed and building work going on around you.I dont know your reasons not to have an operation but if its any help I have 4 plastic discs and a variety of metalwork in my spine and it has saved me from having a wheelchair.If you want to know anything ,just ask.

Free good on yer for getting out in the garden for battle with bind weed.Nasty little blighter.It doesnt like boiling water but you may have to resort to the big guns...chemicals.

Peppa I saw that incident in the news. Have no idea why it happened but a shame on what should be a lovely occasion.

Clumsy,I will have a look at the hobbycraft Christmas range,thanks.I love the place but mainly use it for ideas as I am too much of a skinflint to pay their pricesHow lovely to go to a wedding.It is a very long time since I have been to one.Such an expense.

Thanks ladies for the Jars info.That would be a lovely hot chocolate station.I am tempted.

Once again I have a self inflicted headache and have a genuine medical need for a bacon butty.It only started with meeting some people at a local event then turned into a takeaway curry and loadsa drink at ours.As you know I dont often drink and have zero tolerance for it.I dont know why I do it,I dont even like the taste.It was a good evening though.btw I had 4 drinks.

So all I have done today is got to a car boot sale and buy plants obv! Been in the loft to get some stuff for this sale next week and I have now announced that I am much too ill to make tea.

I am amazed how much stuff I have found for this sale.I thought I had got rid of everything before we moved 2 years ago.I will let my daughter price it.She says I am too cheap.I just want to get rid of it,not take it a tour of the countryside and home again.

Laters Vx
    • By 04624181 25th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 5,070 Thanks
    Hi all,

well the crack in the ceiling turned into a huge hole, lots of thick black soot and dust, a ruined bed set and quilt, and a ruined carpet! Daughters teddys are in our room so some of them are full of this thick black sooty dust and its not coming off. looks like it may have to be an insurance job!

Vulpix- Thank you for the offer of a chat. I have had spinal surgery twice for herniated disc at l4/L5. The second time they punctured my dura 3 times and I was so ill afterwards and was on bed rest for months. They have said if I had to have another operation it would be a spinal fusion. It was such a bad experience and I ended up in pain anyway. The second operation did work and I was pain free but then a couple of months later we were involved in a car accident, somebody went into the back of us and its made all my lower discs bulge/herniate. So im popping pills like candy xx
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 26th Jun 17, 8:59 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 14,303 Thanks
    vulpix
    0462 I know what you mean with that black stuff.My landing ceiling fell down in the middle of the night at a previous house,The insurance were very swift with it
    I understand your reluctance for another op now.I have a spinal fusion, 4 replacement discs various screws and pins with a nifty titanium cage round it all for good measure.I would not relish it again but it has been so successful for me even knowing what it entails I would do it again.
    All your Christmassy talk has got me in the mood too.

I forgot to say I got DD1 and my sons GF an Orla Kiely shopper from Tesco the other day,they can have them filled instead of a Christmas stocking which I havent made a start on yet.

0462 are we going to start the crafts again? It gives me some motivation to get on with things.

The only day this week that we have no rain forecast so lots of washing to do.

Vx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,393Users online

Martin's Twitter