Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,135Posts
    • 12,222Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ĎWell I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmasí

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 38
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 13th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 835 Posts
    • 11,353 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all not been able to get on for a few days as weíve had quite a few things going on. Had three hospital appointments the last three days as they thought the babyís growth might have slowed down, but after a scan today it turns out itís actually quite big and over the 90th centile line! Not sure what is going on but baby looks happy and healthy which is the main thing. After the hospital appointment this morning I popped to TK Maxx and picked up a lovely Laura Ashley kneeling pad and gardening gloves for my mum and MIL for Christmas. It feels good as I havenít done any Christmas shopping for ages so itíll be nice to stash them away and add them to my spreadsheet! Got some turkey Bolognese bubbling on the hob, one portion for tonightís tea and one portion for the freezer. Just going to put my feet up for an hour before Wiggle comes home from nursery.

04624181 yes big house renovations and finances are certainly a cause for stress! Glad heís coming round after your talking to!

vulpix oh no I hope you are feeling better after your fall and your forehead is healing nicely!

murie yes you are right I do think Iím in nesting mode, Iím cleaning the kitchen about a million times a day which is so not me!

Peppa I feel your pain, weíre having a right old nightmare with Scottish Power at the moment! These companies are too big for their own good and outsource too much work. I think Iím nesting at the moment, after the baby is born Iím sure the leeks and potatoes will end up in the bin! Oooh itís exciting making house purchases and seeing it all come together!

GTQ thatís lovely news about your relatives coming over, I hope it happens! And as you say, if it doesnít at least youíve sorted a room out!

LMG itís a great feeling when youíve been productive isnít it? Our spare room is a bit of a dumping ground at the moment too so Iím going through stuff here to get it back to being a guest room as my parents always need to stay when theyíre here.
    Mummy to a beautiful son born 05.08.2014
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 13th Jun 17, 2:22 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 11,353 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    I was just looking at nightwear on the Peacocks website and came across these Christmas bits in the sale, there are limited sizes but might be useful to someone:

http://www.peacocks.co.uk/lds-hanging-pj-slogan-5c75a9.html

http://www.peacocks.co.uk/lds-fleece-nightdress-26d20f.html

http://www.peacocks.co.uk/lds-fleece-nightdress-95838d.html

xx
    Mummy to a beautiful son born 05.08.2014
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,151 Thanks
    freespirit66
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY 04624181

Afternoon everyone, thankyou Vulpix, Peppapig, and Murie for thinking of me I am sorry but still struggling with this BD. Everything seems to be very overwhelming at the moment and I am stressing out over a hospital apt on Friday for a check up on my Colitis. Also still having trouble with the visitors But on the good news DD2 is thinking good Friday 2019 for a wedding date so I have started back on SW to slim for it DD1 is doing it with me plus DS and DD2 so we should be able to support each other through the hard times its two weeks now and I am doing well. I am hoping being in control of my eating will help with the BD and I am not going near the scales so I don't get so het up over the needle not moving.

VULPIX I am so sorry you had a scare but so glad it turned out to be nothing, I hope you are feeling better after your fall as well my lovely.

MURIE I am so sorry I have just seen my IG has a message honestly I just don't see what is right in front of me I will read and reply. Ooh where are you going on hols?

PEPPAPIG our gardening has gone to pot honestly and some kind of weed has just covered the garden and anything that is stood still is covered in it as well, we are the most hopeless gardeners ever, this weather rainy and warm just feeds everything. We have also thought about artificial grass but if it gets hot it wont be good for our dog either.

PRINCESSKITTY glad the hospital has calmed your fears of the baby not growing and he/she is healthy, not long now. Also I was so sorry to hear about your grandma, sending my condolences.

I hope everyone is well, sorry if I have missed anything x
    CURRENTLY READING THE HUNDRED YEAR OLD MAN WHO CLIMBED OUT OF THE WINDOW
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £75
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 13th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 12,222 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Happy Birthday 04624181 Hope you have a lovely day.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Jun 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 13,674 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Happy Birthday 0462, hope you've had a fabulous day 🍰💐🥂
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 13,674 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Oops, pressed 'submit reply' before I meant to.

FREE I think you're coping amazingly with those damned visitors, I don't think I'd have been able to do as well as you. That bloody BD is a pain in the bottom but it will pass, it's just so horrible while it's here. Good idea ignoring the scales, how you feel and how your clothes fit is what counts. Lovely that you've all got something special to look forward to now. I hate weeds and very fast growing plants, I find them very threatening and spooky - I've never seen Day of the Triffids but it must have found its way into my psyche.

MURIE, I know people do manage perfectly well with animals and artificial grass but I do remember thinking it was quite hot when the full sun was on it last year. I'll make a point of noticing it this year and report back - i'll try the 'keep your hand on it for four seconds' test. Mind you in really hot full sun the dogs would probably be in shade or indoors anyway.

PRINCESSKITTY I've actually thought about getting some of the Ikea Kallax storage units and boxes just to keep the Christmas pressies in as I've got less cupboard space this year. Not that I've bought any pressies yet but I'll hopefully be starting in the next month or so. Glad bubs is doing well even if you did have a bit of a scare.

Been shopping with my sis today and treated myself to a red bag and a pair of red shoes - ones that don't look like they're for someone's granny lol.
    • murie
    • By murie 13th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 8,456 Thanks
    murie
    046-- Happy Birthday!! Hope you've had/ are having a fantastic day.
    PK- glad all is well with the bump. get the fan out as the forecast is for more hot weather x.
    Peppa- thank you for volunteering to do the test, I look forward to your findings x (Still not convinced that artificial turf is what I want though but am trying to keep an open mind ).
    Free- good to see that you are feeling well enough to post today- baby steps are the way to go. Im glad SW is going well for you and that you are able to form your own little SW support group.
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 13th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 14,331 Thanks
    vulpix
    Happy Birthday 0462...Many happy returns.xxx

Nice to see you Free,the whole family will be svelt by the wedding.It must be so nice to be able to try clothes on and they look nice!!!!!!!! Out of my experience there.I have been on a very strict diet for the past 2 weeks,with the exception of last Saturday when I went to babysit the Polish children.They had made me a cake bless them so i had to have a massive piece.I hope you are feeling more like your old self a little every day.Good luck for Friday at the hospital.I had forgotten about the lump already.It is still there but not sore,must as the doc said just part of me.I would do some gardening for you if I was closer.

Will you waft some of your southern heatwave up here please? It's grim up north as they say.

I like the sound of red bag and shoes Peppa.I think I will have to get rid of most of my shoes I have arthritis in my feet and mostly wear walking type shoes now a days.The Podiatrist wanted me to have orthopaedic shoes.He showed me a brochure and even my 83 year old Mother would have thought they were old fashioned.

Have ordered some 99p Christmas bubble bath in the Avon sale for stocking fillers.

Today I have spent 5 hours chipping old paint off a metal gate.I know,I know all the passers by were asking what I was doing now.
    I will paint it,attach it to the wall for a plant to climb to hide my bins.

Enjoy the heat wave Vx
    • murie
    • By murie 14th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 8,456 Thanks
    murie
    Vulpix- it would have been rude not to have a large slice of cake after they had gone to the effort of making it for you x.
    I know what you mean about the podiatrist recommendations- mine showed me some that would not have looked out of place in the 40's- theres no way I wuld be seen dead in them- I would rather hobble! (I have planatar fasciitis but it is not so bad at the moment).

Good on you for repurposing the old gate- Im not sure I would have had the patience to spend that amount of time on it-you deserve a medal for it!
    We are off to the Good Food/BBC Gardeners World show on Sunday which I am looking forward to immensely! I hope the weather stays nice so that we can eat our picnic lunch outside- and maybe enjoy a nice long cool Pimms whilst we are at it!
    lovin' this site!
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 14th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Happy belated birthday 04624181, I hope you had a lovely day. I am sorry to hear about your grandma princess kitty, sending my condolences. virtual hugs to anyone that needs them.

My bullying situation has intensified but my SW has now got involved and he thinks I am not being protected. I have just been hiding in my flat which isn't helping my mental health but is the only way I can protect myself a bit.

On the Christmas front I managed to get some men's natural skincare items reduced in TKmaxx which will go in my dads stocking. I also did a order for pet supplies and got a free gift with my order ( a UFO ball) which will go towards my dogs present.

On a good note I booked a family holiday (mum, dad, myself and brother) its like a tradition we all go together to Cornwall and stay in a lodge. We couldn't go this year but have booked it for may next year. I cant believe the prices for booking in holiday time, my brother works in a school and cant book time off as he hasn't got cover. £845 for the 4 days holiday but the week before its £415. its quite a jump. So I am currently saving for the holiday, I've paid a deposit and as im disabled have been catered for regarding allocations.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2017
    Disabled and fabulous darlings!
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    £2 savers club 2017 no 32
    Sealed pot challenge #040
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 14th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 13,674 Thanks
    Peppapig
    You're very patient VULPIX, I think I would have painted over the old stuff - preparation has never really been my strong point. It's a great idea to make use of it though and hide the things you don't want to see.

TREASUREQUEEN glad your social worker is on your side but disgusted with your neighbours for making it necessary. Well done on getting the holiday booked, lots of time to look forward to it now.

Gorgeous weather here today so had a lazy day. The decorator has almost finished the bedroom and I love it. Room gets finished tomorrow and the living room gets started so I'm very excited!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 14th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 14,331 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hear,hear Peppa,disgraceful state of affairs TQ,I hope it's sorted soon.

Thats great that you like your decorating Peppa.I need to do some but when the weather is fine I would rather be outside.Did you find curtains?

Oh Murie I think I may be jealous.My three best things,cooking,gardening and Pimms.Enjoy.

Well thanks for wafting the heatwave chums,been a lovely day here.Only about 3 hours on the gate today.I started with a wire brush which did nowt so then began with the veg knife and as the saying goes Iv'e started so I'll finish.Perhaps another hour will sort it.I then need to get it fixed to the wall.Mr V has refused.

I can't hold the drill still as it is too heavy.I talked him into putting up a shelf in the downstairs loo the other night.It looked like he had been shooting at the wall with a rifle.It is up but cant put anything heavier than a feather on it.I have filled the holes and painted,you would be non the wiser.

I cadged a dolly tub off my Mum and was going to make it into a pond in my white garden at the side of the house.Hahahaha it leaks.Back to the drawing board.

got some fcuk socks today for dd2 £1

I must have a look at my stash and see where I am up to.

All those folks with visitors ,enjoy and those expecting babies too.

Vx
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 15th Jun 17, 2:24 PM
    • 2,542 Posts
    • 34,151 Thanks
    freespirit66
    I thought I was going mad this morning, has anyone else heard the advert on the tv, with I Wish It Could Be Summer Everyday but with the tune to the Christmas song? I was washing up and really had to think what date it was

PEPPAPIG I have always fancied a red handbag, I hope you get much pleasure from the shoes and bag. Glad you are really pleased with the decorating

VULPIX wow you are so inspiring how much you do I don't think I would have lasted 5 mins let alone 5 hours well done you. I bet the polish children were thrilled at you eating their cake bless them. I did have to laugh at your description of your DH shelf heehee

MURIE ooh have fun on sunday at the Good Food show I hope you get lots of lovely things

TREASUREQUEEN I'm so sorry the bullying situation is still ongoing, keep strong my lovely! Glad that you have your holiday to look forward to, DD2 has booked a week away in Cornwall in September and she is paying over £800 its ridiculous

CURRENTLY READING THE HUNDRED YEAR OLD MAN WHO CLIMBED OUT OF THE WINDOW
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £75
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 15th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 13,674 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Heads up girls, Movies24 are doing Christmas in July, Christmas movies every week day from Monday 3rd and for the whole month

VULPIX DH and I ended up agreeing on the curtains we disagreed over for the bedroom lol. I've gone for another set of my old faithfuls from Ikea for the living room, they're cheap but I really like them and they're only dress curtains anyway as we've got blinds too. Are we going to get pics of the gate when it's in place?

FREE lovely to see you. We're going down to where we used to live for lunch with some old colleagues tomorrow so I shall be giving the new shoes and bag their first outing - not sure what I'm wearing with them yet though
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 15th Jun 17, 10:03 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 14,331 Thanks
    vulpix
    Well summer didn't last long.Got the fire lit again tonight.

Nice to have you back posting Free.

It sounds like its all come together at the new house Peppa.How do you like living in a bungalow.

I don't have the patience to sit through a film,I have ants in my pants.

I had some craft club ladies round this morning as it has finished for the summer.same next week,it's great, it made me do some cleaning.
    So I have spent almost all day making a Christmas tree skirt.I have embellished it with many,many beads.

I am at a hospital app tomorrow so thats all day gone as its a 50 mile round trip.Might cruise the cheap shops though whilst I am out.Going to see Susan Calman tomorrow night.Mr V's work.Not sure if I would have bought tickets but we will see.

So what I am getting round to saying is I will have to finish the gate on Saturday as I am out Sunday.On Monday my stepson is visiting and he can do DIY.Hellooooo,can you just ...Also DD1 and my Mum are coming for lunch so will get I T support to do pics.

We are having people for dinner in a couple of weeks and I am going to do tapas.Will try some out on Monday first.

Heres hoping for a quieter week next week so I can potter about at home.

Vx
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 16th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    a week tomorrow and the grandnibs will be here, so excited l can hardly breathe! Serious cleaning and reorganising needed this week, as nowt will get done while they are here.
    Vupix l'm with you, l cant sit still long enough to watch a film. l knit or sew while l try to watch, but...... it doesn't work.
    Sky looks full of something unpleasant, hope it holds off till the washing is dry. hope you all have the sunshine, and enjoy the weekend.xx
    • murie
    • By murie 16th Jun 17, 12:49 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 8,456 Thanks
    murie
    Free- hope all goes well for you today at your check up x

Peppa- good to know about Christmas in July although I'm another one who struggles to get through a film. I have a 'round bum' (meaning it keeps slipping off itself to get up and do something).

Vulpix- that's a very busy week you have planned. The tree skirt sound lovely. Tapas sounds good to me- a practice run never hurts (and tastes good too lol).

Mrs I- happy times that the China contingents arrival is imminent. Hope the weather stayed long enough for your washing to dry- one minute it looks as if its going to hammer it down then the next its bright and sunny.

Tesco have an offer on (presumably for Fathers Day) on various bottle of whisky. I got 1L of Jack Daniels (£18) and another single malt that I cant remember the name of for £20 (reduced from £32) so they are going in the present stash fro birthdays and possibly for Christmas. Its a start!
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 16th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 13,674 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Loving the bungalow thanks VULPIX, feels like being on holiday Hope all went well with the hospital appointment today and you enjoyed your outing this evening.

MRSI that's come so quickly, no wonder you're excited. Did you manage to get the other bike?

MURIE you did well picking up the pressies, I just can't get my head round it yet which is pretty unusual for me. I think I must have a round brain - I can watch a film but only if I'm doing something else at the same time like one of the iPad games or browsing the internet. The good thing with Christmas films is that you don't really have to concentrate on them because the story is almost always the same but I like that Christmassy feeling. I do prefer the ones where it matters that it's Christmas rather than those where it could really be happening at any time and they've only thrown Christmas in to be
    able to say it's a Christmas film iyswim.
    • By 04624181 17th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 5,085 Thanks
    Good Morning all

Phew! first week back at school done! Cannot believe how exhausted I feel. I have done something to my back, those who know me know that my back is a never ending issue after 2 surgeries and a car crash. I have just got back to work and am loving it but I stupidly picked a box up that was too heavy and now I cannot stand up straight. Have got the electric shock kind of pain and am scared I have pushed another one of my many bulging discs out. Have had to take diazepam, which I have not needed since 2014! Got such a busy weekend and it looks like im going to have to admit defeat!
    On a more cheerful not, the roofer had finished and it looks fab. the joiner comes next weekend and im just trying to finalise details with a plasterer.
    Thank you for all your birthday messages, I had a wonderful time and was spoilt rotten x

GTQ- Thanks for the heads up on regatta store, will have a nosey. Exciting news about your Egypt family coming to stay. Life is too short and we need to seize everyday. Certainly recent events in Manchester and london have proven that.
    LMG1305- isn't it great when you have forgotten you have bought something and then you find it! its like a new purchase without laying out the money lol
    Trendyjenny- I can totally understand the loft sorting! what a job!
    murie- Brazilian wedding sounds lovely.
    pk29- You must of been worried to have to go to all the hospital appointments but thank God that baby is ok and you are ok xx Thanks for the heads up about peacocks.
    free- HIYA lovely lady, we have missed you so much. Easter 2019, what a lovely time to have a wedding. That is a great idea over not weighing yourself and just sticking to your diet. I am doing exactly the same at the moment. Hope your hospital appointment went well x Husband went for his infusion yesterday and they have asked him to be part of a clinical trial run by Cambridge hospital to further research on colitis and crohns. That is the 2nd one he is taking part in. Please message me if you have any questions. He is more than willing to answer any questions xx
    Treasurequeen- so sorry to hear about your situation. Glad your social worker has got involved. Hopefully he can get things sorted out to make things more pleasant for you. It cannot be easy for you but we are all here xx
    Peppa- glad to hear the decorating is coming along nicely for you. Christmas in July! Whoop WHoop Peppa you have just made my day
    vulpix- I think our husbands must have the same DIY gene in their bodies lol. I have had to go toe to toe with him over the DIY projects and tell him point blank he cannot do anything except paint!
    Mrs I- Wow a week and you will be covered in kisses and snuggles xx
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 18th Jun 17, 5:55 AM
    • 745 Posts
    • 14,331 Thanks
    vulpix
    Good morning.Been awake since 4 Mr V woke me up going to work.

Feel i have to say Susan Calman was very good.Not what I was expecting at all.

Mr V was at work all day yesterday till 7pm and DD2 at work then at her friends so I finally finished the rebuilding of the retaining wall on the drive.Very slowly I might add.I am at the point now where I am actually able to just maintain a garden,though I just have one more hair brained idea to executeThings are growing in the new back garden and softening the stone work.

I am going out there now to do a bit of pottering.

I hope the lovely weather keeps up for your visitors Mrs I.

Vx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,910Posts Today

9,197Users online

Martin's Twitter