Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,126Posts
    • 12,137Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £400 (as at 23rd July)
Page 33
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 17th May 17, 10:20 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi Julie,Welcome.You are in the right place here,we always have Christmas on our minds.Hope the weather is good for the wedding.x

free,what lovely news.I hope as the weather gets better you will continue to feel better.Get out in the daylight it does wonders for me.I can all too easily get myself in a knot over stuff and a day in the garden puts stuff in perspective for me.Its the just being outside that I like,doesnt matter where or what I am doing.

Peppa what lovely new neighbours,long may it continue.When you have done your decorating please can you come and have a working holiday here.We have been here almost 2 years and 2 of the bedrooms are still not done,neither is the bathroom and the sitting room which I did the first week we were here is looking tatty now the lights better.

Mr V is having an old mate visiting today.He is writing a book about their old days being DJ's.Not that he will care I am sure but I need to do some cleaning,and I hope they stay in the kitchen not the tatty sitting room.This book is apparently very auf wiedersehen pet but dj's not builders iykwim.This guy and his wife have retired to a narrow boat.Now that would concentrate the mind over having too many possessions.

I have been spending a lot of time in the garden.I am turning my attention to the side of the house and drive now.I have done 1 of 2 temporary repairs to the retaining wall and moved tonnes of gravel and fire wood.Slow job but it is looking better/tidier.BINS! they must be dizy,I have had them in so many different spots.

We went to a lovely christening last Sunday and then on to Warrington for the regional competition for Miss England.(Mr V's work)That was interesting.One girl had to duck to get through a door! I felt like an umpalumpa.The reigning Miss England was there,now she is a beautiful girl.

My son and GF have now set off on their road trip to Alaska.Sleeping in the car!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh to be young.Mind he has built a bed frame and they have a mattress.It had to go over the wheel arch so when the mattress is on there is very little room for them,haha.

Washings finished so am off.Love to all,particularly those with neighbour problems.

Vx
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 17th May 17, 1:19 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Hello All

Just popping in to say hi! This weather is ridiculous, middle of May & pouring down with rain.

However, it does kind of make it feel Christmassy today so I don't mind

I haven't started any Christmas shopping yet. This time last year I'm sure I had already started, but I've not really had chance yet this year as we've had a lot going on. I'm sure I'll start to pick a few things up as the months go on.

I hope everybody is well.

Speak soon x
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 17th May 17, 7:26 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 12,137 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread Julie67!

LMG You are not alone regarding the not started Christmas shopping! I've not got a clue what to buy people - that's my problem.

People have got so much more disposable income nowadays that they just buy the things that they require without waiting for the big events like birthdays or Christmas.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £400 (as at 23rd July)
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 19th May 17, 9:05 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 21,225 Thanks
    Julie67
    Morning all,

I'm going to pop into Aldi this morning, I've heard they have some bargains. I also want to nip into Card Warehouse. I need all my birthday cards but I want to look into their pound section.
    I'm also saving £2 coins , up to £54.
    Want to give myself a kick up the bum and get back onto my Christmas shopping.
    Have a great Friday all x
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
    • murie
    • By murie 19th May 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 8,238 Thanks
    murie
    Wow its quiet in here again! I will hold my hands up and admit that Im guilty of not posting then leaving it too long in between posts when I do eventually get my act into gear. Hopefully everyone is too busy having a good time to post.

Peppa- have you settled in a little more now? That was lovely of your new neighbours.
    Free- hold in there, there is light at the end of 'the fog'. Congrats to DD2 and her fianc!.
    Vulpix- I didn't realise you were orange and had blue hair??!!! ( I can totally sympathise with the height envy though). The book sounds as if it could be interesting reading lol.
    Julie- welcome!
    Kerri- I am planning on doing finger nibbles (not oysters !) for DDs 21st Great Gatsby party but also plan to do a 'sit down' affair for family first in the same theme. Any ideas on a postcard......?

Is it just me that thinks this weather is awful, I am constantly freezing cold which is making me miserable- I don't need wall to wall sunshine but I would like a little more than 30 mins a day which is what we have had for the last 3 or 4 days here. My solar lights in the garden only came on half-heartedly for about an hour last night due to lack of daylight during the day. DH remarked that the rain was hitting the ground so hard at one point yesterday that it looked like it was snowing! Apparently (according to 'Alexa') we are forecast to have 'sunny thunderstorms' today- that could be interesting!

Princesskitty and Newthrift- hopefully your little 'bundles' will be here soon (if not already), hope all is well with you both and your growing families x.

LMG- Ive not started Christmas shopping yet either and like you this time last year I had already got some stashed.
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 19th May 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 13,385 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Totally agree about the weather MURIE, the weather person today was banging on about the lovely sunshine in between the showers. We haven't had showers, we've had continuous drizzle yesterday afternoon, all night and it's just this minute stopped

Welcome JULIE. I usually start my countdown to Christmas in July although I've usually got a few bits by now. I think it's just been such a busy year so far that I haven't really given it a thought.

We've settled into the new place now and I've painted the entrance and the hallway in white to replace the magnolia- looks nice and bright and modern and I've got all my little mirrors up on the wall by the front door. When you've got no stairs painting the hall is a doddle. I've booked a decorator/handyman we've used before to do the bedroom and living room so that'll be done mid June then hopefully the kitchen move will be July followed by turning the old kitchen into DGD's bedroom. It seems strange not be doing it all ourselves this time but we've both agreed it isn't fun any more because we're past it lol. Wardrobes are coming Sunday (flatpack) so that should keep us busy!

Breaking news is that DH has finally said the time may be right for us to look at getting another dog. It's been 16 months now since we lost Bonnie. We've got as far as deciding that we won't have another Jack Russell because we think we'd expect her to be like Bon and that's not going to happen. Strictly between us, I've applied to adopt a little Jug (JRT cross pug) but I think she'll be very popular so we probably won't get her. I'm not telling DH until I know if we're shortlisted though.

Hope everyone is well
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 19th May 17, 10:03 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    vulpix
    I agree about the weather,why can't it just rain during the night?

Peppa you are quick off the mark with the decorating,mind you I was with the first room I do hope you get the little dog.I live on a dog walking route and have quite a few dog friends.We even keep dog biscuits in the porch for some of them.My favourite is a grey miniature french bulldog,she is yummy.

3, you are right about people just buying what they need.That's why as my children are mostly grown up I will give them cash and a small stocking with "bits"this year.It's a great relief not to rack my brains to get stuff they don't need.I will still get nice bits and pieces for my Mum and MIL.They are in their 80's.Some smellies and biscuits and edibles suit them.Their birthdays are January too so alls good for the sales for them.

Murie,I am imagining courses with small tasty portions for your sit down meal.quails eggs starter,salmon, new spuds,green beans,fancy pud and cheese board with fizz of course.I imagine the food to be like that from back then,not basing it on fact mind

Another full day in the garden,humping extra heavy breeze blocks stopping frequently to stroke dogs n chat to people.I seriously expect not to be able to walk tomorrow,my back is complaining.

DD2 starts her Saturday job tomorrow,in a tea room she had a trial a couple of weeks ago.I am hoping it will be the making of her.She is already bulled up because she was chosen over other people.She has decided that she would like guitar lessons.I am pleased about that as she has NEVER shown an interest in anything beforeShe went out last weekend to hang out with friends too.Long may it continue.She has always been such a shy ,lonely little thing.

The thread is quiet so thats why I ramble on.

Sending love Free xxxxxxxxxxxx

Vx
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 20th May 17, 7:51 AM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 12,137 Thanks
    3forholidays
    vulpix It is currently raining here at the moment and according to the weather forecast it is meant to be like this for most of the day. Och well, can't be dry all the time, we would have water restrictions if that happened.

Lots of smaller items is better than one big thing - particularly if you don't need anything. It is fun trying to guess what the item is! Luxury brands of chocolate or biscuits and consumable items like this could be a useful gift idea for some people as they can be expensive and not often purchased.

Peppapig Glad to read that the move went smoothly and that your settling in. A detached bungalow would be ideal accommodation for me as I struggle with stairs. I used to live in a downstairs flat but moved to an end terraced house to escape neighbour noise. Struggling a bit with the stairs is preferable to not being to sleep due to the neighbours having a party or letting their kids run wild. Anyone currently suffering with the problem of neighbour noise has my sympathy.

Hope that everyone is well and has a lovely weekend whatever you are doing.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 21st May 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 12,350 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    good morning, wakey wakey, hello, has the rain silenced us all? I just want to praise my local NHS, the cyberwotsis affected them and they had to cancel my MRI scan booked for Tuesday gone. l got a letter yesterday rebooking it for this Wednesday. l think that that is excellent.
    l know, not Christmas, but it feels as good.
    Peppa, glad you have nice neighbours, and that you are getting it decorated your way.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 22nd May 17, 4:53 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hola,it is very quiet here.

I agree Mrs I,I have nothing but praise for the NHS.I for one would not be here without them)

My eldest daughter visited today,we went Greek for lunch and then came home and got stuff out / in the loft.We are going to do a sale in Sheffield in July.Like a carboot but hipster so can charge a lot more

I have been ruthless with getting rid of stuff.Some Laura Ashley curtains that don't fit any of the windows at this house and other big stuff.I have been through my Christmas stash and sorted a few things that I will never gift.I have also looked out all the things my Mum and I made for the craft stall that never was.

With all the pots of money we make we are going to have a few days away somewhere.I have never been to Lindesfarne so that's a possibility.

My son is currently in Vancouver on his way to Alaska.Staying with a school friend of his girlfriend.The flat is like Fraisier iykwim.Nice!

If it stays fine I intend to repair another part of the retaining wall on the drive tomorrow.DD1 and I went to collect some top soil from a friend of a friends,friend this morning.We got a storage unit out of the loft.The intention is to lay it down put a bottom on it and fill it with soil,and plant up outside the side kitchen window.

Thinking of you Free xxxx

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 22nd May 17, 10:57 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 13,385 Thanks
    Peppapig
    VULPIX hope DD enjoyed her first day. Working in a tea room sounds like a fabulous . Liking the sound of your hipster bootsale so hope you make lots of dosh for your days out. You're like a one woman construction crew with your garden, I wish I had some of your enthusiasm and lots of your energy lol. Yes, I'm afraid I'm very impatient where decorating is concerned but I have to do it while the urge is upon me. Plus I'm not doing the bulk of it, I just decide what I want and get it and a lovely man comes in and puts it all on the walls. I've decided my hands on decorating is much more limited than it used to be.

MRSI, another NHS fan here. Lots of money wasted unfortunately but I think that happens in most big organisations where no one person makes all the decisions. Wouldn't want to be without it though and I too am very grateful for the treatment I've had.

3, I agree, most of us now buy what we need. It's my BIL's birthday at the end of this week and he's not short of money so we tend to go with plants or things for the garden or stuff for the birds and wildlife. One year I adopted a donkey for 12 months for him. I've no idea what to get him this year.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes on the move, I really think it's going to be good for us. I hope it is anyway because I don't think we can afford to do it again!

FREE I hope that blooming BD is on his way home and you feel like coming back on here soon. It's eerily quiet without your daily posts.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 24th May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 33,845 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, I am currently watching Crème de la Crème it is amazing what they can make with sugar and chocolate. I have managed to put £20 away into my Christmas savings and hopefully now all birthdays are over I can put a bigger sum away each month.

PEPPAPIG/VULPIX aww thankyou I will definitely try to get on here more than I am, I did think I was brightening up last week but was straight back down the day after. It is getting on my nerves and after what happened in Manchester this week I think it puts things into perspective. It is heartbreaking hearing about all these youngsters just having a lovely time and their parents pick them up and then something like this happens. How many times have we been in this situation. I am so going to worry now whenever my kids attend a concert or go visit a festival but they wont let it stop them, although DD2 overworries about it all.
    CURRENTLY READING RETURN TO THE LITTLE COFFEE SHOP IN KABUL - DEBORAH RODRIGUEZ
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £65
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • murie
    • By murie 25th May 17, 6:38 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 8,238 Thanks
    murie
    Free- we watch crème de la crème too- those chefs are so talented. I always feel so bad for them when anything goes wrong. You are so right about the recent events putting things into perspective, my heart goes out to those affected.

peppa- glad to hear things are going well in your new home, sounds as if you are settling in well.

Vulpix- the hipster sale sounds very 'with it'- hope you make as mint!

Mrs I- Another fan of the NHS here too, hope all went well yesterday x.
    The weather was glorious yesterday and it looks as if today will be the same- do you think this might actually be summer ??!
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 25th May 17, 8:28 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    vulpix
    Nice to see you back Free.xxx

I forgot to say,yes DD2 enjoyed herself at work.She moaned about her feet and burned herself on the steamer but she will live

The weather is glorious,the garden is looking good.I have mended the second section of the retaining wall at the side.Just 1 more to go.

I have turned the tall narrow shelves into a planter and painted the inside with waterproofing.Need to paint the outside today.

Did I say I bought a Foo Dog off eeeeeeeeeeeeeeebay.He needs painting,I thought white,Mr V wants red!

Gotta get a wriggle on,got ladies at mine today for sewing club.The plan was to clean the house yesterday and make biscuits but as the saying goes,the best laid plans etc.

Getting my garden furniture today,It is so long since I have seen it,I can hardly remember what it is like.

oh when DD1 and I were rooting for stuff for this sale I found some more brooches to embelish the stockings I am going to make for Christmas.The plan is today to start quilting the Christmas quilt that I made with material from Canada.My FB memory today is that we went to Canada this time last year.How time flies.

Hows plans for your "Do" Murie?

Gotta go,laters Vx
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 25th May 17, 8:33 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    vulpix
    P.S Peppa if your BIL is into gardening,garden vouchers are always well recieved.Or plants if you know what he likes.

Vx
    Last edited by vulpix; 25-05-2017 at 8:34 AM. Reason: gobeldygook
    • murie
    • By murie 25th May 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 8,238 Thanks
    murie
    Vulpix- I had to google foo dog- I say whoever paints it gets to decide the colour (Im guessing that will be you lol). Enjoy your sewing get together- are you taking the ladies into the garden? The bookcase sounds great - DH husband made me a herb garden out of a pallet that I made DS throw in the car a few weeks ago - blame Pinterest for that! Too many ideas! In fairness, despite his being DIY challenged, he made a good job of it. I now have lots of lovely herbs and some lavender growing in it.
    Please post some pics of the quilts progress and the stockings when they are finished- I love to see sewing crafts even though the thought of sewing myself brings me out in a cold sweat.

Plans for the party are going OK, I have a bid on some stuff on ebay that will save me a bit of money if I win it. Food is still a little bit of an issue but I will come up with something in the end- no one leaves my house hungry is one of my mantras. I have been making giant paper flowers to cover one wall- now I have sussed out how to do them they are easy but the first one gave me a few headaches .

I have struggled to put the canopy on my swing seat this morning so the good weather had better be here to stay!
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 25th May 17, 11:15 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    vulpix
    Haha Murie Foo dog already painted off white
    • murie
    • By murie 26th May 17, 6:39 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 8,238 Thanks
    murie
    Vulpix- thought you might have the final say - how big is it btw? I have got up this/ morning to the joys of owning a cat/ tiger- Bailey was swinging a dead rat around the lawn. Ive had to keep the windows shut in case he decides to share the fun with me (which I definitely don't!). He has lost interest in it now and gone off to look for his next victim. I, meanwhile, have a rat funeral to attend to before he comes home again and re -discovers it. (Copious amounts of kitchen towel and a black back here I come!).

Enjoy the day everyone xx
    lovin' this site!
    • murie
    • By murie 26th May 17, 6:42 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 8,238 Thanks
    murie
    Sorry for the mistakes in the post above- I submitted it, re read it and noticed the errors but for some reason the site wont let me edit it. Im not as dopey as that post seems- just have rubbish typing skills! (Im off for a black BAG not a black back lol).
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 26th May 17, 8:03 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 14,039 Thanks
    vulpix
    Well done Bailey I used to have a Persian cat who was scared of its own shadow,she brought a rat in once,I think it was a lucky find.The rat was the only thing she ever brought home.

Busy day yesterday painting the outside of the planter and collecting the garden furniture from my brothers stable which is at the far end of a field.There was loads of gardening stuff chucked in on top of it all.Luckily my Nephew is home from uni and gave us a hand.We nearly killed him as he was in the van playing tetris.It was soooo hot.

The sewing ladies sat in the garden until it got too hot,very nice,I had made biscuits beofre they came too.nom nom nom.

I must crack on and do some planting up of my drawers before it gets too hot,then I have to knock the house into shape as we have a friend from Leicestershire coming to stay tomorrow.

I got the drawers from FB.They are atop some breeze blocks my neighbour gave me for when we do the drive proper.The woman who gave the drawers made a bar from the chest iyswim.

Well this wont knit the baby a new bonnet.Just Waiting for DD2 to vacate the bathroom.

Enjoy the weather whilst it lasts.

Vx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

7,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin