Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,150Posts
    • 12,375Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 29
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 16th Apr 17, 2:17 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 14,764 Thanks
    vulpix
    Just taking advantage of I T support visiting.Will read later.

[IMG][/IMG] February

[IMG][/IMG]
    March
    [IMG][/IMG] April
    • murie
    • By murie 16th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 8,793 Thanks
    murie
    Those are lovely Vulpix!
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 16th Apr 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 14,429 Thanks
    Peppapig
    VULPIX they're lovely, you definitely put me to shame, I haven't managed to complete a single challenge since November.

PINKSTEPS so nice to have you back on here and so glad you're on such a positive path.

MURIE thanks for the Golden Paste info, I'll check with GP before getting DH to try it as he has meds for blood pressure and anti-ds.

Spent a fair bit of today clearing out the loft now that DGD has gone home. Hopefully should finish tomorrow so next week it'll be charity shop and tip runs and then full steam ahead with decluttering and packing up the non essentials. Very exciting, I keep looking at pics of the bungalow and getting very impatient.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • murie
    • By murie 17th Apr 17, 8:01 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 8,793 Thanks
    murie
    Peppa- exciting times for you! Have you come up with any d!cor ideas yet?

Hopefully everyone has had a lovely Easter, the weather was OK (ish) but todays isn't looking so good. Don't really have any plans for today so will try to take a photo of what I was going to use for March's challenge and the one for April- Februarys has gone to the dustbin in the sky Im afraid (or lost down the back of the sideboard!), as Vulpix has reminded me that I didn't post them for one reason or another.
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 17th Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 14,764 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi, Oh yes look into taking Turmeric,it may not suit everyone.

The Easter wreath was made 3 years ago with DD2 from paint colour cards.I think it is cute.

pinksteps,I have thought about you,wondering how things were.You were so kind to send me a personal message last year.Nice to see you back.

I will get DD1 to show me how to do Instagram,don't want to miss out on any good pics.She bought a car yesterday so I get my lovely mini back today,just in time to tax and insure it.

free you could start a family heirloom now to hand down to dgs.What a lovely dd to buy you a new laptop.

sorry gotta go,laters Vx
    • murie
    • By murie 17th Apr 17, 8:25 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 8,793 Thanks
    murie
    I decopauged the tray for DD for the March challenge (tenuous links to flowers I agree). I was pleased with how it turned out (even though it is a little smudged) as I printed the images off myself onto tissue paper, and the card is one I made for DD (before I throw it away or lose it).

lovin' this site!
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 17th Apr 17, 8:22 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 16,554 Thanks
    nic2075
    Hope you had a lovely Easter.

I had a nice time with the family. I had a family buffet lunch and Easter egg hunt for the kids yesterday. Then today the weather was gorgeous, so I took the kids to Culzean castle. They have just opened a new wild woodland. It's a big wooden adventure park for older kids. So all 3 kids had a great time. Plus I ended up meeting loads of friends there and my sister appears with my nephew. I think my face and neck are a tad burnt. I'm feeling the Heat radiating off me! Lol

The school hols have been good. We were at Heysham last week for a caravan break. We really enjoyed ourselves. Did a few days out in Lancaster etc and also had some chilled out days just reading and playing games. The kids go back to school tomorrow, so I feel pretty refreshed for a change.
    • mandco
    • By mandco 18th Apr 17, 9:39 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 8,747 Thanks
    mandco
    Morning all hope everyone had a good easter
    kids had a great time the easter egg hunt was a hit if a little crazy and didn't eat too much chocolate.

Some great crafts as usual I always mean to start something but get sidetracked really need to try harder this year.

Gtq glad you got rid of your squatter we seem to have acquired one Like free can't find the little sod but occasionally find the odd chewed thing and hear tell tell scratching.

I better shoot as got physio in a bit and need to get the kids out of bed as they are still sleeping

catch up later tc all
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 19th Apr 17, 8:34 AM
    • 3,452 Posts
    • 14,837 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly

Gtq glad you got rid of your squatter we seem to have acquired one Like free can't find the little sod but occasionally find the odd chewed thing and hear tell tell scratching.

Originally posted by mandco
    Don't flaming believe it, got new neighbours & squatters are back, got to be coming from upstairs
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 19th Apr 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 14,429 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Oh no GTQ, time to call in the big guns oh MANDCO not you too!

No real decor decisions yet MURIE but I'm determined to move the kitchen so getting very excited about that
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 19th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 2,016 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Vulpix - That cushion is lovely. The fabric is really cute.

Murie -
    Love the tray. Looks very professional!

Just popping in again. Still waiting on ECG results. It'll be 5 weeks next week so will have to ring if I don't hear anything before then. Of course I'm making the assumption they'd actually bother to ring me or send a letter. In the meantime my HR is still shooting up at the drop of a hat and my resting HR is up and down on a day by day basis (according to my Fitbit).

Hope you are all feeling as good as can be. xx
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • murie
    • By murie 21st Apr 17, 2:03 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 8,793 Thanks
    murie
    Blimey its quiet in here!
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 21st Apr 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 14,429 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Looks like it's just thee and me at the mo MURIE
    • murie
    • By murie 21st Apr 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 8,793 Thanks
    murie
    Looks like you may just be right Mrs! I cant believe that of all the chatterboxes we have on here (not me of course cus I am so quiet and unassuming, and NEVER given to chatter lol), that the thread is so quiet! Hopefully its because people have lots of lovely things going on at the moment.
    How is the packing going and dare I ask' THE' oufit? Have you decided to go with that colour or are you still looking?

I ordered 2 Christmas cushion covers from eb*y for the grand sum of £4.46 for both, they arrived today and Im really pleased with them- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391616956770?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=6607 25085069&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (if the link doesn't work they are pattern #8-2). I also had my second rose gold sequin tablecloth delivered ready for DD's Great Gatsby 21st birthday party. (sequins everywhere again!).
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 21st Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 14,429 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Ooh they've got some lovely designs on there MURIE, I'll have to keep track of that one for future purchases. I did find a dress in ivory and I really liked it but there's just something about the other one so I'm sticking with colour. I'll try to pm you a pic in the next few days - I can't put it on Instagram cos DD will see it and I'm just keeping it to me and my sis (and DGD when she comes up at half term). The task now is to find the right hair accessories and shoes which I'm quite looking forward to. We've had two removal companies round and we've decided to rent a storage unit for a few weeks so we can move stuff like DH's tools, my dolls houses and the Christmas decs before moving Day and bring them out over a couple of weeks. The good news is that the big shed (15 x 7) has been emptied and DS has taken it and the loft is cleared now too. Packing up the dolls houses starts tomorrow!

Hope everyone is ok.
    • murie
    • By murie 22nd Apr 17, 6:12 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 8,793 Thanks
    murie
    Peppa- ooh I love the idea that no one (except your sis and DGD) will know what you will be wearing. I would be excited too at choosing accessories and shoes- enjoy mooching through all the 'pretties' out there!
    Renting storage seems a sensible way to go, it will keep upheaval on the day down if you can do it bit by bit (plus it brings the move that little bit closer for you if you are actually removing things from your current home). Have you got a completion date yet?

Hope everyone has nice things planned this weekend - even if the weather is supposed to be a bit naff. I want to get cracking and paint one of the walls in the garden but as 'showers' are forecast I might not get to do it today.
    lovin' this site!
    • Pink_Giraffe
    • By Pink_Giraffe 22nd Apr 17, 8:14 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    Pink_Giraffe
    Hello Christmas people! I've been lurking for a day or so, just thought I'd say hi it's nice to find other people who've already started Christmas shopping! My partner's birthday is the beginning of Jan and I spent this January trying to catch up money-wise so I'm doing what I always said I would and buying Christmas and his birthday gifts through the year, in the name of organisation (and also because Christmas should be fun rather than stressful.)
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 22nd Apr 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 12,705 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    happy weekend folks.
    The jolly holli lot had a lovely time away, and are going again next year. DD had her 39th (shhhh) birthday on Tuesday, so a celebration meal out is on the cards. I did something Christmassy on Thursday, l got a handmade voucher from fave niece at Christmas for a day out to the place of my choice, on the day of my choice with her and DGN, so l opted for a day at a garden centre 30 miles away with afternoon tea. (because l had a voucher for 2 4 1 on the tea) . Was a fantastic day, so much to see, too much to buy, great company, good craic and nice food.
    DGS has spent a lot of time this week with one of his friends. This young man is reeling from the suicide of his father last week, so DGS said he had to be there for him, as he knows a little of how he feels, following on his step dads death last year.
    On a brighter note, the greenhouses are both full to capacity and everything is thriving, and the ground seems to be drying out, so l may get the perennials into the front border this weekend.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 22nd Apr 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 12,375 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Welcome to the thread Pink_Giraffe!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 22nd Apr 17, 12:53 PM
    • 3,452 Posts
    • 14,837 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Well the windows went on hold last weekend as I couldn't find the charger, so had to order a new one, so was out at 8 this morning doing them, so have nice clean ones now have done all of the housework, hung new shower curtains, washing, recycling emptied. Desperately want to drop off to charity shop & get car cleaned, but DPD left a card yesterday saying they will deliver today, no idea what is being delivered, as anything I have ordered will fit through letterbox.

Have had a couple of pairs of cuff links delivered for my brother & have started getting my orders from Egypt, which also included Oral B dental floss. I know it is expensive there & the exchange rate for them now is awful, I can now get more than twice as much now, so it will be even more exp. Had a look at Lloyds pharmacy as I make up homeless packs every month so like to get a bargain,m& they had the floss for £1, so bought 6 of them.

Going to a St George's night dinner tonight, only £10 in local hall, where I am on management committee. Will be really strange for me as I am usually involved in making sure everything is ok, so going to enjoy the rare event.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

6,832Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin