Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,093Posts
    • 11,801Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043
Page 25
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 20th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 13,253 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hiya,Not much Christmassy going on here.

Thank you for my Birthday Wishes.Mr V went to great lengths to take me to a patchwork exhibition in Cumbria! he came in with me and actually looked at stuff too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG.

Could've called in for a brew Mrs I and admired your new car.

Wow peppa,quick work with the house.I have moved twice in the past few years and the second time I ridded a lot more "stuff". I just thought " do I want to pay to move this?" I have only missed 2 things slightly.One an ornament and the other the Henry hoover which I gave away on freecycle in a fit of maddness.

I find watching marathons and sporting events in RL make me quite emotional these days.Same with brass bands!

Glad to hear everyone is busy and planning ahead.I too bought Easter chocolate and have had to replace some of them

I agree with the pancreatitis debacle.I have had it twice and you are in no doubt that you have it.I was told that it was constipation initially.It is only a simple blood test to diagnose.Hope your husband feels better now Chrissy.I wonder if its not taken seriously because people in general exaggerate their symptoms.No exaggeration needed if you have pancreatitis.

I have bought some new clothes recently and my DD1 is trying to get me to wear brow powder.I feel like Coco the clown.I cant wait for some better weather.I am ready for it! I am itching to get in the garden too.

take care Vx
    • Trendyjenny
    • By Trendyjenny 20th Mar 17, 5:51 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 2,972 Thanks
    Trendyjenny
    I enjoyed doing an escape room... you get locked in a room, (there is an emergency key if needed ) and then you need to solve puzzles / riddles to gain clues on how to get the combination to escape the room.
    we got 1 hour with 8 clues.

everywhere I look at the moment there is clutter ! just moved another pile to discover that the window sill has cracked and looks like frame is loose !!!!!

my dream job has just come up and i'm a bit reluctant to go for it. ( all the past months traumas ) application needs to be completed for 27th .

big hugs to everyone
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Thank you for all the congrats everyone, it's very much appreciated as I have been so rubbish at posting / replying to your good fortunes / trials / tribulations of late. I am now thinking about the next race to enter ...after spending the last three weeks thinking 'I can't wait for a break'

peppa great news on the house - hope it all goes smoothly for you

chrissy how awful definitely do not let that one rest - I hope OH is feeling better now. I loved Charmed when it was on (usually a re run in the US when I'm travelling) I actually got a bit teary in the final episode.

vulpix I'm not exactly over the hill yet but I don't 'get' some of this eyebrow malarkey at all. That said, mine are still recovering from all the 90's plucking

Some exciting holidays planned from the sound of it, can't believe today is the first day of Spring! Nothing more christmassy here atm, no real need (though i might get my DN gift sooner rather than later so that's sorted)

If anyone does work out that cloning secret, do share, either that or 48hrs in a day would be great too
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 21st Mar 17, 8:06 AM
    • 5,536 Posts
    • 15,784 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Well hubby is still in hospital lots of ups and downs but generally heading in the right direction[slowly] . he is to have an mri as they think there may be some debris causing the inflamation if so they may be able to flush it . What i didn't know was even though he had his gall bladder out in 08 he can still get gall stones !

DD is trying to be supportive she is tidying up doing washing , dishes etc and even made me a cup of tea last night .

I had a call to my mobile yesterday saying you recently had a non fault accident were you hurt ? so i said yes i was i died ! don't know why but that ended the conversation.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 21st Mar 17, 9:09 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 13,253 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hahahaha Chrissy,thats brilliant! Hope your husband is sorted soon.Pancreatitis is grim.

My eyebrows have bald spots too from over plucking,this is why my daughter is on my eyebrow case.I stopped plucking when I gave up work and now I cant see well enough to do it if I wanted to!I have a stencil which would make me look very surprised if I used it

Thank goodness for some nicer weather today.I am off into the garden.#excited.lol

Vx
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 21st Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 33,116 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

MURIE/PEPPAPIG Escape Room is like the real life version of Crystal Maze, they had to find keys and solve clues, to get out of each locked room, it was all to do with a either finding/running from a serial killer so bits of bodies were involved they absolutely loved it and completed it with 3 minutes remaining so they were dead chuffed

04624181 the easter weekend away sounds lovely the kids will love their surprise

VULPIX i wear brow makeup as my eyebrows are sparse and i look like i havent got any if i dont wear it (the problem with getting older) and i also well up when listening to bagpipes for some obscure reason!
    CURRENTLY READING A SPRING AFFAIR - MILLY JOHNSON
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £20
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £410/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 21st Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    kerri gt
    and i also well up when listening to bagpipes for some obscure reason!
    Originally posted by freespirit66
    They remind me of The Family Ness
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 21st Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    Peppapig
    FREE that Escape Room sounds like something my DD and SIL would like, I'll have to Google it as could be a good pressie.

My eyebrows are quite thin (all that plucking in the late 1970s) and DD2 is obsessed with eyebrow makeup so she does mine when she comes up, it's an art form with her. I did buy the Benefit eyebrow kit for about £20 but it's still in the box because I just can't do it. My sister had hers tattooed but they're quite dark to start with and my brother in law said she looked like the chinaman character from Benny Hill and kept saying 'you sirry irriot' (won't mean anything to anyone who doesn't remember Benny Hill lol).

Big news for me is that the vow renewal/blessing is sorted. We're having the ceremony in the village church where my daughter lives and then a buffet at the pub opposite. It's going to be July 1st so fingers crossed for good weather.
    Last edited by Peppapig; 21-03-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 21st Mar 17, 9:54 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 33,116 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone,

KERRI i have never heard of The Family Ness what is it?

PEPPAPIG oh that is lovely news about your vow renewal all being sorted, you must be so looking forward to it, i will be keeping my fingers crossed for the weather. I use Benefit Gimme Brow it is very easy to use although its £20 as well, i have thought about tattooing but would be worried i would hate it. I remember Benny Hill my nan used to watch him all the time, also they do the escape rooms in a few different places as well as on groupon, google it and see what comes up
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 21st Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Free The Family Ness was a cartoon on the BBC that aired (according to Wicki) between 1984 - 1985 - though I am quite sure I recall watching it on the BBC later than that. The Nessies were called up from the Loch via the children blowing their 'thistle whistles' with a common line 'Angus, blow your thistle whistle'

Here's a link to the theme tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaCzbqdFS24

Peppa great news on the renewal being sorted. x

I was contemplating having microblading for my brows - which is a method using the semi permanent tattooing....then I saw how much it is...currently wondering which vital organ to list on fleabay to fund it!
    JAN NSD 11/16

• vulpix
    • By vulpix 22nd Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 13,253 Thanks
    vulpix
    Peppa that is lovely news about your vow renewal. I am so impressed with your husband for even thinking about it.

My SIL has had her brows tattooed. They look very realistic,not too dark or slug like.So far i have used the powder 1 day.Maybe tattoo is the way for me cos I just cant be bothered with makeup any more.

My daughter has done the escape room thing a couple of times in Manchester,she really enjoyed it.

I did a full day in the garden yesterday and am pleased with the results.I am still making the garden in the back.I have decided that I made the patio too big so I am taking some of the stone up digging out the hardcore and filling with top soil and compost.I know how to have a good time.A couple of friends called in yesterday for coffee and it was a treat to sit in an almost complete garden in the sun.Even better, Mr and Mrs Blackbird have started to come in the garden.A sign the back garden is more healthy than the broken glass and rubble it used to be.Mr B has even been in the bird bathI have had that bird bath about 4 years and have never seen a bird even glance at it before.

Bloomin chucking it down today.We are off to buy new pans.Yes I put some spuds on yesterday lunch time ,went in the garden and left them on.I am not safe.I am making a regular habit of it.

Vx
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 23rd Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 33,116 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

KERRI i looked at the link but i have never heard of or seen them before, 84/85 i would have been teenager and too cool to watch cartoons i expect

VULPIX i so wish i enjoyed gardening like you, i am glad you can sit out there and admire all your hard work now

DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • murie
    • By murie 23rd Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    murie
    Sorry been MIA as I have the lurgy now straight after my tummy bug so ive been feeling sorry for myself.

Mrs I- have you picked up your new car yet and been 'cruising' ?

Trendyjenny- go for it! Get that application in asap! Dream jobs don't come along that often x

Chrissy- how is DH now? Whenever I have one of 'those 'calls I pass the phone to one of thie kids if they are around, they wind them up really badly and its hilarious. They have a competition to see who can keep them on the line longest! I know these people have a job to do but honestly they do get on your nerves!

Peppa- whoooohooo!!! You've done it! Fab news for you and DH x

Kerri - I remember The Family Ness- it was a sort of melancholy tune. Stick with the brow powder if you have to sell a body part to finance 'new' eyebrows! I have naturally very light mousey hair (bottle blonde to cover the grey now though ) but almost jet black eyebrows for some reason (Irish colouring) - I look as if they have been tattooed on but they haven't honestly!

Vulpix- you make it sound so simple to rip up the patio and move hardcore! I agree its lovely to be able to get out into the garden and potter around then sit back and enjoy the hard work. We haven't had any small birds in the garden since Mr Bailey has been out on his prowls and I do miss them so Im jealous about your blackbird and his ablutions!

Yesterday was DS's birthday but it was overshadowed in part by the terrible events that occurred in London. My heart goes out to the families of those that lost their lives and those that were injured. I'm further saddened by the news today that it was someone living in my own beloved City that was responsible for those acts. I have heard reports on Sky News that paint a picture of Birmingham being a 'hotbed of terror related activity in recent years', no more than any other large conurbation in the UK, there are good and bad in every community .( I just wanted to say that Birmingham is a vibrant multicultural metropolis and I am inordinately proud to call myself a 'Brummie'. Sorry but I just felt the need to put that out there as I feel as a City we get a hard time sometimes in the press. I promise not to spout any more!)

On the Christmas front I reserved a Christmas stocking cider kit that produces 10 pints in 48 hours from Argos for £5.99! That's going to be my sisters advent calendar this year! I managed to get the last one in the local area so Im pretty chuffed with myself! Just hope it makes cider and not vinegar!
    lovin' this site!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 23rd Mar 17, 8:54 PM
    • 7,291 Posts
    • 45,625 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Kerri - I remember The Family Ness- it was a sort of melancholy tune. Stick with the brow powder if you have to sell a body part to finance 'new' eyebrows! I have naturally very light mousey hair (bottle blonde to cover the grey now though ) but almost jet black eyebrows for some reason (Irish colouring) - I look as if they have been tattooed on but they haven't honestly!

Yesterday was DS's birthday but it was overshadowed in part by the terrible events that occurred in London. My heart goes out to the families of those that lost their lives and those that were injured. I'm further saddened by the news today that it was someone living in my own beloved City that was responsible for those acts. I have heard reports on Sky News that paint a picture of Birmingham being a 'hotbed of terror related activity in recent years', no more than any other large conurbation in the UK, there are good and bad in every community .( I just wanted to say that Birmingham is a vibrant multicultural metropolis and I am inordinately proud to call myself a 'Brummie'. Sorry but I just felt the need to put that out there as I feel as a City we get a hard time sometimes in the press. I promise not to spout any more!)
    Originally posted by murie
    How funny, I remember the theme tune as being quite upbeat - isn't it strange how music affects people in different ways.

You're right about good / bad in all communities. Isn't it sad how a so called highly intelligent species can't just get on together. As my dad used to say 'too much religion causes wars'.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell - hope you're on the mend now. Well done on the cider kit - if it makes vinegar at least that could be used for pickling

re: brow powder - I don't even have any, just a very old brow pencil and some brow mascara that might or migh not have dried up I have very dark brows like you but there're quite fine
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 24th Mar 17, 7:24 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 12,137 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Yaay, got my new car yesterday afternoon, it is a bit bigger than my last one, and has so many bells and whistles l ran out of fingers to use them! DGS is impressed with it so it must be ok!
    My eyebrows are white and coarse, so dye doesn't 'take' odd, really, as my hair hasn't gone grey, and l am approaching the 70 mark, cant figure it at all.
    Having a back massage this morning courtesy of my beauty therapist friend, a 'nearly mum' mothers day treat.
    Nothing Christmassy going on (unless you count the rescue of a drowning Christmas rose from the front garden border,) into a large pot until it is drier out there.
    I decluttered a kitchen cupboard and threw almost everything out, well took it to local charity place, will try to do another today. Gave my upstairs vacuum cleaner to my fave cous's DS1 as they needed one, so that also is decluttered, .......now, who can l palm a fat fryer and a health grill off on?
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 25th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    Peppapig
    VULPIX I love your enthusiasm for the garden. I must admit I'm looking forward to exchanging our long, narrow garden for a short square one when we move. Hopefully as I'll actually be able to see the new garden from the conservatory I'll be more inspired to do something with the flower beds. I did do something for the garden this morning.....I bought two reclining garden chairs from QVC

MRSINVISIBLE congratulations on your splendid new car, I wish you many enjoyable miles in it. You do always make me laugh, love the idea of you 'palming off' your unwanted stuff.

MURIE hope you're feeling much better now. Good for you being proud of your home town, it's such a shame when an entire area gets bad mouthed for the actions of a few individuals. I get quite cross when people are scathing about Milton Keynes (our nearest proper town). Yes it has it's not so great areas and a fondness for roundabouts but the shops are good, there are lots of green spaces and it's only a few minutes from lovely open countryside.

FREE I've never heard of that tv programme either. My girls would have been toddlers in 84/85 but it doesn't ring any bells with me at all. Maybe it was only shown in certain areas?

Finding it funny that we might all know each other by our eyebrows now

Well it's a lovely day here today so DH is outside clearing his shed a bit more and I'm thinking about what I can eat next - the diet seems to have been derailed a bit this week. Pizza Hut yesterday

Happy weekend one and all. xx
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 25th Mar 17, 3:41 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 13,925 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Hello there!

Had a blast in Budapest, hotel was fantastic, walked miles, food not that great, thermal springs amazing, 28 degree water in open air, was so relaxing.

Then back to work with a bang, been hell We have a big job going on & client is driving us mad, non standard materials so having problems sourcing, got to stage that we had to take advice on cost of pulling out. Going to plough on, but it is going to be a long year.

Had a text from my brother yesterday asking for my bank details. When he had his business, I had to help him out financially a few times. He was paying me back but then stopped. Wasn't fussed as I knew business was struggling & I would prefer he paid off any other debts. When he got this job last August, he ended up with a second income as the company also runs a charity so he does those accounts also & gets paid separately. He is now in the position that he can have his salary to live life in general & the charity salary to clear off the business debts. Everyone paid now, so I am now getting my money back However, as neither of us knew how much he owed, we had to agree on a figure, I was shocked that he owed me a lot more than i thought, I felt uncomfortable with wanting that, so we compromised on the amount in the middle.

Squatter update They ate all of the poison so had to get more, which has not been touched since laid. And today, I found a dead one. I truly hope that this means the end.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 25th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 12,667 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Yay GTQ! Great news about the trip, the money and especially the squatters Hope you manage to work through the job with all your hair intact.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,171Posts Today

6,838Users online

Martin's Twitter