Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,163Posts
    • 12,528Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 24
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 14th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 12,826 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    How very sensible, Chrissy, a take out is so much easier, and a real treat.
    Well, l am keeping up with the decluttering, another shredder bag full of papers, and a bag of too small/big/ugly clothes to the Cs. DGS's wardrobe tonight and the linen closet, then start on crockery etc.
    l got good news too, the china brigade are coming over for 6 weeks in summer, l cant believe it!
    DGN is fast asleep on my bed, when she wakes and has her lunch we will go in the garden and get well wet, playing ball.
    Christmas no movement, but 4 more tubs of spring bedding done this morning so nice and cheerful.(the tubs, not mrsl -she is grinning like a Cheshire cat at the thought of 6 whole weeks).
    DDs car finally gave out on Sunday, so we will spend this weekend looking for a replacement, she cannot complain, tho, the old one was 15 years old. Just another headache, looking for a good deal.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 14th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,993 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Great news about the china visit MRSI, no wonder you're grinning

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY VULPIX ��������, hope you had a lovely day. I usually check in every day but trust me not to have a nosey on a birthday

CHRISSY I think that's a good idea, I'm not really sure why we still do Mother's Day and Father's Day, far better to appreciate/be appreciated all year. We've never really done Easter other than buying eggs but this year we're not buying for older grandchildren (some of them are grown up now) just the little ones. This year I've bought them early as we've gone for the sets with cup, plate and bowl or mugs so we're less likely to cave in and eat them. Usually we have to buy at least two lots because we eat them.

Big news here today, we've had an offer accepted on the bungalow we like so if all goes well chez Peppa will be on the move in a few months. Excited is an understatement! ETA - I probably should have said that we accepted an offer on our house at the weekend too!
    Last edited by Peppapig; 15-03-2017 at 8:39 AM.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 14th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 12,528 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Peppa Great news regarding the bungalow - hope that you manage to sell your house quickly.

MrsI Lovely to read that the 'china brigade' are coming to visit!!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 15th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    • 5,617 Posts
    • 16,100 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Great news about the Bungalow .

Well very expensive t shirt ordered for DD for Christmas the added pain is i will also have import duty to pay hopefully not to much.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 16th Mar 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,993 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks 3FORHOLIDAYS, forgot I hadn't said that we've accepted an offer on our house too. Keeping everything crossed it all goes through now.

Thanks CHRISSY, hope the duty isn't too much, at least you've got it ordered though, I seem to be having trouble just sorting out the birthdays at the moment.

Hope everyone is ok and just too busy to post.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 17th Mar 17, 1:31 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 35,155 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon Everyone, it was my eldest DDs birthday yesterday 28!!!! she said she feels really old get to my age and you will DD2 had a good day with her back yesterday so fingers crossed it is working now the bruising has gone down thanks everyone for your good wishes.

MRSINVISIBLE that is wonderful you will have the chinese contingency over for 6 weeks and you will be able to do a lot more in the nice weather

PEPPAPIG congratulations on selling and having your offer accepted, i hope it all goes through quickly and smoothly for you
    CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP BY THE SEA - JANE LINFOOT
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £135
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £590/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 17th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 12,528 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Peppapig Lovely to read that you have accepted an offer on your house! Hope that the legal side moves quickly.

Freespirit at eldest DD feeling old - I'm afraid to be the bearer of bad news for her: you only get older with each passing day!

Real life is rather busy at the moment - I love to be able to clone myself!

Hoping that everyone has an enjoyable weekend whatever they are up to.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 18th Mar 17, 7:23 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 12,826 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Peppa, great news about the bungalow and the sale of chez peppa, hope it all goes well, you deserve it.
    Glad that DD2s back is less painful, hope it lasts for her, Free, could be a corner turned.
    OOh Chrissy, what is the T shirt? you are a hero mam to do that for her!
    Now, l have a confession to make........l have bought a new (really, new) car. went shopping for one for DD and got offered a super deal, works out that l pay less per month than l am at the mo, for an extra 18 months tho, but ......... it is nice.
    DD decided to go back onto a mobility vehicle, it seemed the logical choice for her.
    l keep trying to justify it to myself, cos l didn't really need it, but once in a while you do do daft things.
    DGS has been off school with a D&V bug, but seems ok this morning, he has just had tea and toast, see how long it lasts inside him!
    Gardening today but indoors, and maybe cleaning the little greenhouse inside, ready for spring. Have a lovely weekend everyone, whatever you do with it.
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 18th Mar 17, 9:34 AM
    • 5,617 Posts
    • 16,100 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    The t shirt is an officially licenced Charmed one , ive bought her cheaper versions in the past but they havent been very good quality so im hoping this will be better.
    Hubbys in hospital he was unwell on Tuesday went to the Drs on Thursday who despite OH saying it felt like a pancreatitis flare up diagnosed excess acid , Friday he got a lot worse so i took him to A & E where after tests was diagnosed with acute pancreastitis !!They expect him to stay in until Sun/Mon. I am going to ring the Drs Monday as thats the second time in as many months they have failed to listen and have made a wrong diagnosis.
    Sorry to be a grump just feeling a little low at the moment.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 18th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,993 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I don't think you're being a grump at all CHRISSY, I think you've got bloody good reason to complain. You could make a formal complaint to the practice manager, if nothing else they'll have to look into it and hopefully take more care in future. There's an NHS complaints procedure they have to adhere to so they can't ignore you. Hope your OH is ok.
    • Trendyjenny
    • By Trendyjenny 19th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 3,177 Thanks
    Trendyjenny
    hi , sorry not popped in for a while.
    belated birthday wishes
    great news about bungalow
    hope goes well for you Chrissy

more de cluttering so keeping up with lent target. I've also lost over a stone in weight over the last two months.

didn't manage to get slippers but was at asd@ today and they had some children's arts set half price £1.50 instead of £3 so got a couple for the young ones.
    also been to our local post office which does discount choc and biscuits (close to sell by date ) so defo going back there for the choc bars for easter. don't trust myself before then !
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 19th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 35,155 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, i hope you have all had a good weekend, i have had quite a relaxing one, the kids went to London yesterday to do an Escape Room so i had a day of reading magazines and kindle, then today after picking our shop up and getting caught in the town half marathon, we came home and watched a film, curled up under throws.

3FORHOLIDAYS we all need extra hours in the day dont we?

MRSINVISIBLE congratulations on your new car, good for you to have something you really want, you do so much for everyone, i hope you enjoy it! I hope DGS is feeling better now and the bug has gone

CHRISSY oh your poor DH! Why do some drs not listen when the patient usually knows the symptoms, i hope he recovers quickly and you can destress when he comes home, good on you for complaining when you can

TRENDYJENNY i have only decluttered two green bags of garden stuff into the green bin but i feel so much better i have been trying to do it for 5 weeks and it was done in 2 minutes!!

DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 6,699 Posts
    • 47,267 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Evening everyone, i hope you have all had a good weekend, i have had quite a relaxing one, the kids went to London yesterday to do an Escape Room so i had a day of reading magazines and kindle, then today after picking our shop up and getting caught in the town half marathon, we came home and watched a film, curled up under throws.

Originally posted by freespirit66
    Whoops, apologies if it was the half marathon I was running in today

Which is a little why I haven't been on here for a bit as I've been head down in training (or rather less training and more panicking about what on earth I had signed up for )
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 19th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 35,155 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Whoops, apologies if it was the half marathon I was running in today

Which is a little why I haven't been on here for a bit as I've been head down in training (or rather less training and more panicking about what on earth I had signed up for )
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Haha was it the Reading Half Marathon? No apologies needed my lovely we were just a bit earlier than planned going into the town centre. I hope it went well, we were admiring the stragglers bless them they looked totally exhausted!
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 19th Mar 17, 8:50 PM
    • 6,699 Posts
    • 47,267 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Haha was it the Reading Half Marathon? No apologies needed my lovely we were just a bit earlier than planned going into the town centre. I hope it went well, we were admiring the stragglers bless them they looked totally exhausted!
    Originally posted by freespirit66
    It was indeed the Reading half I managed a PB so feeling pleased. I did look whistfully at someone's Next sale bag in the town thinking. 'I could be doing that rather than this madness' The support was great though, it really makes a difference to the runners and I'm sure those you saw appeaicated it.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 19th Mar 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 35,155 Thanks
    freespirit66
    KERRI - ooh well done for running your personal best, congratulations!
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • By 04624181 20th Mar 17, 7:08 AM
    • 486 Posts
    • 5,703 Thanks
    Good Morning all,

Peppa- Congratulations on the house sale, fantastic news x
    Free- sounds like you had a lovely day yesterday
    ChrissyG- definitely complain as they need to know that they have misdiagnosed your hubby again! not only that, how many other people may the GP have misdiagnosed? The gp may need some help/timeoff so a complaint will make the practice look into it.
    MrsI- a new car sounds amazing, you definitely deserve it! enjoy xx
    Kerrigt- well done on your PB xx
    3forholidays-I would love a clone as I am meeting myself coming back at the moment!
    trendyjenny-Good price for the art sets, I tried to do a little shopping yesterday but had DD with me and DS needed picking up from a hike he was doing. He was cold, muddy and hungry. Not a good combination lol
    vulpix- belated birthday wishes hope you had an amazing time x

Still busy at work, am loving it but it is very full on. We are currently starting to renovate the house. Trying to find reliable workers is proving difficult. Have bought myself a fitbit so will set it up tonight and start using it as just do not have time to get to the gym. Not done anyhthing for christmas yet. Going to start putting some cash away and buy nearer the time I think. We have booked an Easter surprise weekend away for us as a family of 4, my mum will be staying at mine to watch my dog. Kids will go crazy when they find out.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 20th Mar 17, 7:30 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 12,826 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    ChrissyG definitely definitely complain about a repeated mis-diagnosis, and a meeting with the misdiagnosing GP, then you know that the message has been received.
    046... how super, what a great treat for you all for easter. Hope you find reliable builders soon, we are lucky round here, well blessed with real, good tradespeople.
    Kerri GT, congratulations on completion and PB half marathon, l am always in awe of people who can run, or do any kind of sport, me, l can do conclusion jumping, but nothing more strenuous !
    Free, an afternoon under a throw sounds just lovely, will definitely copy that., and yes, thanks, DGS is fully recovered, back to school this morning.
    • murie
    • By murie 20th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,030 Thanks
    murie
    Free- sounds like a nice calming day- whats an escape room?
    Mrs I- good on you for getting a new car for yourself! The amount of running around you do for others you deserve it.
    Kerri- well done on your PB- you should be proud of yourself!
    Trendyjenny- sounds as if your stash pile is growing- the art sets were a bargain.
    Chrissy- definitely complain! To misdiagnose once could be a mistake, to misdiagnose twice needs looking into before something very serious happens. Pancreatitis pain is horrendous. I hope DH flare up has eased now.
    046- Im hooked on my fitbit now, although the light is very bright during the night when I turn over or get up, wakes us both up. That's a lovely surprise for the kids- when will you tell them?
    3forholidays- if you manage to clone yourself you could make a fortune! In the meantime remember to try and take some time for yourself x

Peppa- great news on the sale and acceptance. Onward with the sorting and packing now ..
    Nothing Christmassy here, have been under the weather with the tummy bug the rest of the family had earlier in the week. I thought I had avoided it but unfortunately it was waiting for me on Friday night!

Hope everyone is well x
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 20th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 14,993 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I second or third what the others have said MRSINVISIBLE, you're always helping everyone else so how lovely to treat yourself to the car. The pleasure you get driving it will be worth the extra time on the repayments.

Well done on the half marathon KERRI, as a total non athlete I salute you My honorary DD does the Great South Run (and has done the Great North Run) but I have no idea how.

JENNY you're doing really well with your decluttering, we started on DH's shed yesterday so need to do a couple of runs to the trip today. Congrats on the weight loss too.

FREE your weekend sounds lovely, a good way to recharge those batteries. I wondered what an Escape Room was too.

0462 hope you all have a fabulous time on your Easter break. I'm still thinking about getting a Fitbit, I just don't seem able to take that final step and buy one. Not sure if it's because I'm too scared to see just how little I move or I'm just too mean to fork out the money!

MURIE you have my sympathy re the bug, I hate anything like that. Hope you're feeling much better now.

Disappointed to hear that we're in for more rain and a cold spell, was really hoping Spring might be about to, well spring into action. I'm ready for some sunshine!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

1,572Users online

Martin's Twitter