Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,173Posts
    • 12,618Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 23
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 6th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    I wish someone would de clutter my house. There are rooms I have to shut the door to when people come around. I am good at throwing things away. Husband is a hoarder. He will not throw anything. I have to do it when he's out! He's terrible for magazines. There are thousands in the office all piled up. Can't bin them but he will never look at them again. All music magazines and film ones. And wires and cables!! We could supply a shop with them. I could scream. Then again I'm as bad with craft things. Those I do hoard. So I can't mock too much.

Some of my random buys are coming in finally. Actually I lie. I only bought one or two of the bits. Most were Christmas presents, when I couldn't think of anything else. Decided to have a go at growing fruit and veg again. Did it a few years ago and loved the results. So we will see if I get rated to anything by the slugs this year. I got some baby fruit trees, seeds, planters and other bits as presents and bought lots of compost (delivered today), seed trays, canes, string and labels. So when it's the baby's nap time I will go and make a start I think.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 5/12
    Read a book a week: 17/52. Current book. "How I lived on a pound a day".
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 7th Mar 17, 5:27 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 15,479 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Wow it's quiet on here, last year we were on page 35 by this time. Either we've lost our chatterboxes at the moment or there's just a lot less going on this year.

Glad PINKSTEPS is ok, hopefully she'll come back as the year moves on.

Congratulations on the competition win 3FORHOLIDAYS!

Ooh FREE, Las Vegas and an Elvis impersonator, you were very adventurous.

TRENDYJENNY/VULPIX - you get a lot more chocolate in a bar too

I must admit I'm quite good at decluttering because I can't function properly with too much stuff, somehow getting rid of things is very liberating. Unfortunately I often throw things out a few weeks before I suddenly really need them! Did this recently when part of my clear out included all my original weight watchers stuff - stuff I could really use now that I'm trying to lose half a stone!

Nothing at all happening on the Christmas front here although I did find myself singing 'It's gonna be a cold, cold Christmas without you' this morning (it's an old hit from the 1970s for those not born then or too young to remember lol). Fortunately it's actually been sunny today after days of rain so I'm looking forward to spring again, I just wish it would hurry up
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 7th Mar 17, 8:19 PM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    I think most people are busy at the moment Peppa - I know I've been snowed under. The nice weather doesn't help much either!

Not much to report other than small breakthroughs on the MH side, got PALS sorting things out after the trust naffed up so hopeful for recovery still.

Nieces are coming over at weekend with their new puppy, they're trying to get him car trained and it is only a 15 minute journey so good practice for them. Looking forward to feeling a little less lonely with working from home and the agoraphobia, its starting to cave me in a little.

Off for a well deserved bath and some quiet time away from work and life.
    • Mischiefmanaged
    • By Mischiefmanaged 8th Mar 17, 7:53 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Mischiefmanaged
    Little more christmas prep courtesy of primark. Got 2 pairs of checked pj's bottom. So reduced from £6 to £2 to go with the £1 slippers I bought at Christmas. Also got 2 wraps/towel things that fasten around yourself made out if towelling for both dd's reduced to £2.50 x
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 8th Mar 17, 9:00 AM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 15,297 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Just a very quick float in, been so busy at work that I don't know whether I am coming or going. Got a couple of shirts from Edinburgh Woollen Mill reduced, so another couple of gifts sorted.

Not had as much as a sneeze for the last 3 years and get a cold the day before I go to Budapest Never mind, been fun sorting out what to do while we are there. Have booked Thermal Springs, was advised to wear flip flops while there, so nipped into Primarni, picked up a pair for 90p! Don't care if they get left behind at that price. Also picked up a card of Grumpy Cat pins for littlie in Egypt, she will love them, they were reduced to £1, so a bargain shop that evening

Will do a proper catch up when I get back, have a good weekend everyone. Hugs to those who need them
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 8th Mar 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 12,888 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Dom, have a great time. 90p flipflops, go, you!
    Have spent the morning sowing seeds and pr*cking out seedlings, the bedroom/greenhouse is covered in compost and seed boxes and this year there is an overspill into the other front facing bedroom. Now l have run out of compost so will have to get more.
    Sunshine today, lovely, but still too wet to garden.
    Christmas front, a pair of Paw Patrol jimjams for DGN1, £3.99 in Argoose, half price.
    Downside of sunshine, the dust is very visible and the grimy windows get shown up too. I best do something about it, maybe sit with my back to it and knit.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 9th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 35,343 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, phew what a day i feel like a wrung out dishcloth, ive been at hospital most of the day with DD2, she was having the latest op on her back, another solution??? She had the nerve endings burnt off in her lower back, she has had enough now she was just so upset about this op and at the end of her tether, we have been backwards and forwards since she was 9 with back pain she is now 25 i just hope to god this works, she has had so many procedures and nothing has ever worked properly as it should except a spinal epidural when she was 18 which worked for nearly a year. Mind you she is so lucky as most of the treatment the last few years has all been private through her work, the ward was spotless and great coffee and people, oh how the other half live eh! I hope everyone is ok and just busy, i am reading just havent had anything interesting to say I have tomorrow to hoover and mop and get Thumper proof as we have him all day saturday while DD2 (hopefully if the pain has gone) and DS go to the theatre to see Phantom of the Opera
    CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP BY THE SEA - JANE LINFOOT
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £155
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £590/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 10th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 15,479 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Keeping everything crossed for DD2 FREE, really hope this works for her. Have a lovely time with Thumper, bet he's getting big now.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • By 04624181 10th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 5,791 Thanks
    Hi all, just wanted to say I am still here but am snowed under at work. Still getting the hang of things with routine etc x I will catch up, its just so manic here xx
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 10th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 16,814 Thanks
    nic2075
    I've no excuses for not popping in. Ive been busy, but no more than I ever was. I still sit at night an pop onto fb. So should make more of an effort to come in here. I just don't have much to share I guess.
    It's nice to see the weather changing a bit and to see the daffodils out. Makes me smile. I always feel my dark mood lifting this time of year.
    I need to make a start in the garden. I need to prune back some shrubs in my rockery that have gotten out of control. I also need to get weed killer down on the drive and pathways. My neighbour was out cutting his grass the other evening. But mine is still like a mud bath if you step on it. Will be a while before I attempt the lawn.

Talking of clutter, I also have rooms I close the door on if anyone comes round (Monica's closet ;-) ) most stuff gets chucked in my room to deal with another time or the utility room. That's my haven. The garage is next on the list. I hoard boxes from big purchases and electrical stuff Incase it needs returned or can be sold. But that means I have 4 yrs of boxes along with bikes and baby car seats etc in the garage, oops. At least the house is tidy as I can open the door and chuck stuff in..
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 11th Mar 17, 8:52 AM
    • 815 Posts
    • 15,309 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi,Hows tricks?

I have been up since 4 and feel rough.I am having trouble sleeping at the moment.It will pass.

You are right about the chocolate bars,you get much more chocolate than an Easter egg. I bought 6 yesterday for £6 so my Easter buying is done.I got branded chocolate too.I am a bit fussy about chocolate although Aldi chocolate is very nice.

I would love to declutter for anyone who would like it.My Mums has come to a standstill as we will do it at her pace.My Husband is borderline hoarder.He has got rid of MASSES of stuff in the last 5 years but he still has enough for several people.Our loft is full and he has 2 sheds stuffed to the rooves. He also has stuff in his Mums garage,a friends loft and at his work.Some of it is equipment for his work but most of it is boxes which he wont look through.I am not at Marie Kondo level but I do like to be on nodding terms with my stuff.He has stuff he hasn't looked at for years.At our last house we had a garage which could be accessed through the kitchen.I loved it.The washer was in there and I could chuck stuff in if I had unexpected visitors.It was also great as a cold room at Christmas for drinks and stuff.That is the only thing I miss about that house.

Since my Mum has been ill I have ridded some of my stuff from the loft and some clothes.A touch OCD I think.Having things in order helps me feel like I am in control.I have also been through all my kitchen cupboards and sorted stuff out for charity.

I had the nicest day on Thursday in Manchester with my eldest daughter.She has some holiday to use up before April.We walked miles.I bought a couple of tops and a couple of pairs of earrings. A big deal for me,I don't often spend money on myself.My healthy eating is out the window recently and i was feeling scruffy,wearing the same clothes over and over.I didnt like what I saw in the changing room mirrorNext week,next week back to it

Tomorrow I have family coming for lunch then DD2 going off on her school trip.Later we are going for a meal at Southport with some friends.

Are we crafting this month?

Free I do hope your daughter is helped by this latest procedure.Back pain is so draining and she is so young.xx

Mrs I,I like your style about sitting with your back to the windows.This bit of sun we have had is taunting me with mine.I struggle with the windows at this house.They had never been cleaned for many years and although I clean and clean them with numerous methods they always look like they need cleaning.I have even scrubbed the old glass in the porch door with a toothbrush!

I will go now,I think I am delirious from tiredness.

Vx
    • By 04624181 11th Mar 17, 11:10 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 5,791 Thanks
    I have not taken part in the craft challenges lately but thought a nice theme for this month could be..

Flowers
    • murie
    • By murie 11th Mar 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,245 Thanks
    murie
    Crazy-cat lady- the under stairs pantry is where I chuck all my 'crud', its getting to the point now where I know I have to do something about it soon before Im unable to shut the door! Maybe tomorrow.....

Mrs I- I love the sunlight but I have two very large mirrors across the fireplaces which are supposed to gleam and glisten in the sun- instead they look dull and full of static dust and put me to shame-when it gets too much I shut the curtains so I cant see it lol! Admittedly the sunlight is diffused but at least I cant see the dust!

Peppa I do that too- I always manage to chuck out the very things I need a few weeks later!

Free- hopefully DD2 will be feeling the benefit of her procedure now x

GTQ- enjoy your break!

Dom Ravioli- hope all is well with you and that you have managed to get the support you need x

Nic-when you have finished your gardening could you pop round to do mine? I have more weeds than plants at the moment and its getting to me- I feel the need to go out and tear the borders apart but every time I do it rains (that's my excuse!). I do need to get out though because the kitchen window sills are looking more like a garden centre with all the seedlings and plug plants I have growing on them, they are taking over so they need to go outside.

Vulpix- whenever I have a go at decluttering Moms I have to go at her pace (til she turns her back) as she gets very stressed about things being moved and thrown away. Its frustrating but I understand that the reason she is so attached to her 'stuff' is that she was the youngest child for a long time, and we weren't exactly comfortable when my sis and I were young, so had hand me downs most of the time. She treasures what she has , even if to the rest of us its tat. Hope you are feeling better btw x

046- getting to grips with a new job takes time x Flowers it is then for this months challenge. I have just completed a project today that I can use. I was going to use DHs valentine card for last months challenge but I tidied it away when I was cleaning for the funeral and I have a nasty feeling I binned it cus its nowhere to be found. This month I will do better!

Nothing Christmassy going on here either but I did see some Swarovski crackers advertised the other day- down from £249 (yeah right!) to £19.99. I must resist........
    lovin' this site!
    • Trendyjenny
    • By Trendyjenny 12th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 3,177 Thanks
    Trendyjenny
    Hi, everyone, thought the posts would be further on too !

another trip to charity shop with couple of black bags full. the ex is coming to get more of his stuff so more space there. soon be able to put the Christmas decs back into loft. (feeling bit anxious he coming - not a good break up, at least not got to see him ! )

flowers seems like a good theme for craft challenge, think can come up with something.

loving hearing bout all your de cluttering, wish I could be so ruthless.

love idea that kids get more chocolate in a bar !

need to get to hb apparently they have the noisy slippers for 1.99 ( that would be most of nieces and nephews covered if can get them )
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 12th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 16,814 Thanks
    nic2075
    Hi, everyone, thought the posts would be further on too !

another trip to charity shop with couple of black bags full. the ex is coming to get more of his stuff so more space there. soon be able to put the Christmas decs back into loft. (feeling bit anxious he coming - not a good break up, at least not got to see him ! )

flowers seems like a good theme for craft challenge, think can come up with something.

loving hearing bout all your de cluttering, wish I could be so ruthless.

love idea that kids get more chocolate in a bar !

need to get to hb apparently they have the noisy slippers for 1.99 ( that would be most of nieces and nephews covered if can get them )
    Originally posted by Trendyjenny
    They had the slippers in my Hb on Wednesday night. I was going to get some for my kids, but they never wear slippers any more.

I picked up the kids Easter eggs yesterday. I got the ones with mugs for £2 from Tesco. They love getting new mugs, so seemed a good deal. I'll need to hide them from myself now
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 13th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Afternoon everyone. Yet again I haven't been on in ages.

Volunteering still ongoing. I'm starting to hit my stride a bit more now though.

Got an appointment next week to have a 24hr ECG fitted. That'll be fun I'm sure.

I'm impressed with all you people getting stuck into cleaning, decorating and clearing out. My bedroom sorely needs work doing. There's mould growing... But the energy it takes to even do the normal clean is immense. Hopefully me and my mum can find some time to tackle it together.

I keep catching parts of that BBC painting show on a sunday night. I'm feeling really inspired to get stuck in with art. But alas I lack any talent or skill in that area whatsoever (luckily I'm a bit better at crafting ). Found a lovely looking book about acrylics that teaches you different techniques via 50 small step by step paintings. Might order that (leftover birthday money of course ). Maybe I'll be painting presents for Christmas this year!
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Mar 17, 6:08 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 35,343 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, just a quickie i can only get on as and when, my laptop keeps crashing, its so old everyone seems to be not supporting it now. I cant afford a new one so maybe will try to use my phone and see if that works. I couldnt get on at all yesterday so i am so sorry Vulpix i kept trying to get on but my laptop just wouldnt play ball, i hope you had a lovely day and felt much better.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VULPIX
    CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP BY THE SEA - JANE LINFOOT
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £155
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £590/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 13th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 12,618 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Happy birthday Vulpix Hope that you had a lovely day yesterday.

Apologies - I'm a bit late with my wishes!
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
    • murie
    • By murie 13th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 9,245 Thanks
    murie
    Happy Birthday Vulpix!!
    lovin' this site!
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 13th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 5,617 Posts
    • 16,104 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    We have had a discussion about Christmas and have agreed from now on to go for quality rather than quantity I do like to see a large pile of pressies for everyone but I'm buying stuff that they don't need
    ,as a result at the end of the week will be ordering dd the charmed t-shirt from America that she's eyeing up so at least its a start.

We have also put an end to Mothers and Fathers day cards etc there's really no need , we don't do Easter either we have a takeaway instead.
    I sound really miserable but its really quite liberating not having to deal with it all .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter