Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,168Posts
    • 12,566Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 108
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 4th Dec 17, 10:43 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,341 Thanks
    Peppapig
    You'll get there STOKIE although I'm feeling the pressure and I haven't got work to fit around. It's about this time that I start to want everything to slow down so we can enjoy the anticipation. I think in my ideal world it wouldn't be Christmas every day, it would be Christmas Eve so I'd always have that sense of anticipation.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 5th Dec 17, 8:04 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 16,790 Thanks
    nic2075
    Hope everyone else is feeling better than I am?
    It has been a sick house since Friday. I felt not right all last week, but on Friday and Sat I went down hill. Hot/cold, shivery, achey etc. Then from midnight on Sunday through to 7am yesterday all 3 kids were sick every hour. Yesterday we were just laying about in heaps, unable to do anything. My stomach still doesn't feel right. Another day off work and school for us all. The kids will probably be feeling fine once they are up, but need to keep them off for the 48 hrs. And to make sure they are all fine. It's a busy week for Carol concerts and at my work we have the christmas lunch to serve, which is mental with 350 all coming through for lunch in a 40 minute gap.
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 5th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 42,326 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Aww get better soon Nic and family, there is so many nasty bugs going round right now

5th December and our tree still has not made an appearance, nor has the livingroom tidy up even been attempted to make room for it my mojo seems to have just upped and left! All presents are bought even if I have wrapped none Taking the uncle shopping tomorrow as he needs 'one of those car key coats' we gave up trying to explain it was Khaki and that's a colour not a style bless him, at 81, we have some very interesting conversations with him

Off to tesco today as the kids seems to have made 4 pints of milk just vanish might pick up a few more christmas food items while im there, get me in the christmas spirit again.
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • By 04624181 5th Dec 17, 11:48 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 5,777 Thanks
    Hi everyone,

Been writing a few Christmas cards. No Christmas tree up still, got work to be done first. Still off work, hopefully be back in soon. Going to try and do some wrapping. Not enough hours in the day. hope everybody is ok
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 5th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 15,266 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Why is it that I was reasonably organised and now I don't know whether I am coming or going? I plan things, then have to re-arrange because something else in the chain of events has changed, which then has a knock on effect, is it just me, or is it happening to everyone? I think it is probably when the big day is, we have in theory lost a weekend so my timings are all out of synch.

Had a reasonable week ahead for next week, now I am suddenly eating out 3 times and my brother is coming for his annual Christmas dinner with me, need to think what to cook for him, think there may be a bit of an issue with the diet!

Hugs for all of those feeling under the weather, look at it this way, you should be safe for Christmas! I know everyone is busy, just look after yourselves.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 5th Dec 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,341 Thanks
    Peppapig
    NIC that sounds horrendous your poor kids and poor you. Hope you're all soon feeling much better.

JAKESMUM I feel for you, my mum is 83 and our conversations can be very strange. How she keeps track of the plots in tv programmes I really don't know, I suspect she thinks what's happening varies significantly from what actually is.

0462 hope you can get back to work soon, the time is going by so quickly.

GTQ what throws me out is people who pop up now and want to meet up before Christmas but don't give you enough time to make it happen. I've def had more lunches out in the past few weeks than in the past few months though and I must say it's been fab. I think I'm enjoying this December more than any other so far, just hope I don't peak too soon and lose my festive spirit at the last minute!
    • By 04624181 5th Dec 17, 3:00 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 5,777 Thanks
    A couple more gifts have arrived in the post/delivery today. Beginning to look alot like christmas lol xx
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 5th Dec 17, 10:08 PM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 26,548 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Hope you all feel better soon Nic.

Think we all feeling a little bit of the time pressures at the minute. Don't know why I feel so mithered by it all, not like I have masses to do, think it is the thought I just have four days off - doesn't seem long at all
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 6th Dec 17, 12:29 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 8,813 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Hi all, I’ve missed you.
    Move went well and we are still very much up to our eyes in boxes. One downer which I’m hoping someone can come up with a cheap solution, most of my china has broken enroute. Now obviously the cheap bits are not broken but my Cath K, Biba and Spode are all in lots of pieces. As the most important thing for DS is a nice dinner table does anyone know of either sets or individual pieces that can see us through this Christmas. Either Christmas themed or elegant rather than the mishmash we have been left with. His autism/ocd means everything has to be proper and in its place. I’d be happy with paper plates and cups!
    Uncertain if we will be sorted by the big day but I’m on a mission. xx
    • murie
    • By murie 6th Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 9,203 Thanks
    murie
    I posted a long missive last night and the bloomin internet went dow- Virgin have been working to improve our service since last week and its been worse than ever!
    Hope all those that are feeling under the weather are on the mend and that no one else starts to come down with any nasty bugs.
    We have been busy for the last few days so Im trying for an easier day to recoup some much needed energy before our hols next week- so I have been crafting. Nice and relaxing except for the dire need to vacuum up all the glitter that has made its way into the carpet !
    Im with Peppa- I much prefer Christmas Eve to the day itself, I love the growing sense of anticipation leading up to it. I admit to even tracking Father Christmas on NORAD- even tho DH ribs me mercilessly.
    GYD- glad you are in and relatively sorted. Is it just you and DS at the Christmas table? Unless you are looking to spend big bucks replacing your sets it might be better to look at matching white pieces with a platinum or gold band. That way you can add to them at a later date. I have just seen these on Asda and they could look fab with a gold charger plate https://direct.asda.com/george/home-garden/tableware/leopard-print-dinner-set/050258809,default,pd.html (look for the table scene photo)- a bit different and quirky. Dressed with gold crackers etc (and maybe copper wire lights from the poundshop) they would look good for Christmas and with a black cloth and gold party poppers etc would look good for New Years too. Very glam! At £20 they aren't too bad and could be mixed in with plain white tableware easily at a later date. (ooh Im on a roll now lol).
    lovin' this site!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 6th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,341 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Lovely to have you back GYD but how annoying about your china tablewear. I do hope you get replacements that you both like. MURIE that's a good idea then nothing is wasted and can be used for any meal and just dressed up or down.
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 6th Dec 17, 5:53 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 42,326 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    So took the Uncle to the city for his 'car key' coat . . and he bought a black one was still calling it a car coat though so gawd knows what he was actually looking for Also got him sme new 'daps' (sketchers to you and me ) and 4 jumpers that I convinced did not all have to be blue! OK I couldn't convince him on the nice green christmassy one but he did get 2 red ones so half the battle Could NOT convince him on the awesome christmas socks though! I think he thnks im a bit crazy now

We all had lunch out after and bless him he treated us and when he went home he gave me the M&S biscuits he had bought (we both looooove chocolate biscuit selections). DH said 'I reacon he likes you more than me, and i'm his ruddy relative!'

Still no tree, Still no wrapping, BUT the livingroom has been tidied in anticipation and am hoping to crack on tomorrow and get all the decs up

On a slightly worrying note, whilst watching Elf and A Christmas Carol last night, DD decided to completely rewrite her christmas list So need to sneak a look and see what she's put for santa! Luckily her birthday is in january so if I need to do a couple of extra gifts and move a couple I have already bought into birthday gifts I can. I am currently in a dither as she desperately wants a firehouse lego city set and its £69 I already have a lego city set for christmas and her birthday from when they were on sale at different times of the year but this is the set she wants the most and tbh she never ever asks us for anything. Do I buy it for her and reshuffle something else into the birthday box, or do I stick with what I have? I know she will love the ones I have bought but its the only time I get to spoil her a bit . . . opinions welcome my christmassy loving friends
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 6th Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 26,548 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Girlinayellowdress maybe something like this? http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5275452 could then put charger plates in a gold or silver colour with them for Christmas dinner?

Or try wilko they usually have sets at decent prices.

Murie - glitter gets everywhere! I opened some decorative bits for my vase today and got covered too.

Jake's mum sounds like you had a funny day with your uncle. Is the Lego likely to go on sale before her birthday post Christmas? Or will she get any money she can put towards it after Christmas if you don't get it.
    • By 04624181 7th Dec 17, 8:13 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 5,777 Thanks
    Good Morning all,

Today will be a day of watching Christmas films, doing a bit of wrapping and basically hiding upstairs whilst the workmen are here plastering. DH is off so he will deal with them and keep me fed and watered. Increased the painkillers again as things are not as good as originally thought. Ah well, Im going to watch every cheesy Christmas film I can find and wrap a few gifts. I just want to see what I have left to buy. Hopefully not much.

Hope everybody is ok xxx
    Big hugs and Christmas Sprinkles to everyone xx
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 7th Dec 17, 1:48 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    LMG1305
    I finally have almost all of our decorations up but I feel really disorganised on the present side of things. I do have things already & am waiting for some orders to arrive, but I feel like this time last year I had already bought lots of things so even if I'd stopped there & then it would have been fine, but this year I feel like I'm missing things, forgetting what I've got & who I still need to buy for etc I had planned to get home from work last night & get everything out, so I could check it all, but my DD1 was at home because her plans for the evening changed, so I couldn't do that because she would have seen it all going on. I don't really know when I will get chance to do it but I am going to have to try & do it soon, because we're running out of time!!
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 7th Dec 17, 4:53 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Hi all,

GYD, wow! that's such a shame about your china! Are you covered for breakages in any way with the moving company or your home insurance?

I've done the deep clean of the lounge ready for the tree to go up, and my god was it needed! I can't believe I let it get that bad in the first place. I'll put the tree up and lights on it on Friday, and then will decorate it with my stepson on Saturday. Not sure if he will be to old to want to decorate with me...we shall see!

And I've started work on a tree skirt (nothing like leaving it to the last minute!) so I'm sticking with the plan suggested by someone on here (sorry, I've forgotten who) to tie tins to the tree base and cover it with a tree skirt, to hopefully prevent the cats having the tree over at any point. And as a bonus it will make some space in the cupboard temporarily, it's currently very full with Christmas biscuits. I bought one packet and then OH bought to others!

It's been great reading all your updates, I get reminded of little things I have to do
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 7th Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 42,326 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    i'VE DONE IT! I have the tree up and all my musical scenes are out (minus the plugs as the music drives DH mad and DD does love to set them all going at once ) Currently sat squinting at the laptop screen by fairy lights as its dark as a black hole in the livingroom but I don't want to turn on the light and ruin the lovely christmassy feel from the tree

Still to get everything out and do the present check, I have a spreadsheet but I always find a couple of bits extra that haven't been logged and I have no idea who they were for

Ahh had a great day with the Uncle thank you Stockie, when he's in the right mood he can be fabulous to be with. Re the lego set, well I got it completely wrong and its not the fire station its the airport she wants still £69 though! problem is I can't remember which sets ive already bought but we did go through the lego website just to make sure it was the one she wanted and she was quite happy with pretty much any set that had a plane in it so if I have a plane one i'll leave it as is, if not, i'll look at it again.

Food shopping tomorrow so need to remember to get some tree chocolates! Tree does not look finished without them though DS will no doubt have robbed them all well before the 25th! last year I had to hide a second pack just so the rest of us got some!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 7th Dec 17, 7:31 PM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 26,548 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Well work playing silly beggars already. Cutting overtime in run up of Christmas
    So have the bonus of an extra day off next week now so feel a bit better about getting everything done.

Have had a really rubbish day though.

Hope everyone is ok
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 8th Dec 17, 7:11 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    creative gal
    I've finally (almost) finished my Christmas shopping! The only thing I've got left to buy is one of the easiest presents to buy. I would have brought it yesterday but my bag was already pretty full. Now I can relax, getting the tree tomorrow, and enjoy a good wrapping session on Sunday.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 8th Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 16,790 Thanks
    nic2075
    I'm still unwell. My chest feels so tight. So hrd to sleep at night. I have a doctors appointment for Wed, but only because my boss made me phone as I sounded so awful. I woild prefer to let it clear itself, I don't like antibiotics if that's what I'm given. I always feel horrible after taking them. Any tips for clearing a horrible chesty/mucas cough would be great. Ive tried hotter than hell showers, covonia, potters pastilles (yuck) , sleeping upright, loads of water and hot tea.
    I'm not sure if I'm getting better at all. Feeling shattered on top just makes everything feel worse. All my muscles and my head is aching from coughing.
    Woe is me :,-(
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,257Users online

Martin's Twitter