Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,171Posts
    • 12,585Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 107
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 30th Nov 17, 9:23 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 16,794 Thanks
    nic2075
    Lovely frosty morning. It's a bit cold at -3 but looks gorgeous and glittery.

Kids are excited for the Elves coming tomorrow. Even my 12 yr old who is swithering on whether to beleive or not, is excited. I got a new elf door, so it's appeared yesterday with naughty elf at work tape over it.

Having the usual panic that I don't have any money so can't get xmas pressies. Just hope my overtime all ŵent in the wage due next week.
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 30th Nov 17, 3:09 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Hi All,

Stokie becks, the hamper looks great!

GYD - congrats on your new home!

I think I need to re-focus and make some lists because I know I've made progress but I also feel in limbo and like I don't know where I am.

We had snow today, big fat flakes swirling around for 10 minutes or so. It didn't settle or last long but it was sooooo good to watch it and I felt so festive!
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 30th Nov 17, 6:07 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 26,579 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Nic my mum has no children at home (we are all grown up and live in our own places) but as a keen photographer she has decided she wants to get involved so she has two elves - Jinx and Joy

December tomorrow! Where has the year gone. This is now where I get worked up about everything being done. Only have 5 days off left before Christmas and working right up to 5 on Christmas Eve. I know everything is pretty much done but still mither myself. We bought some big gift bags the other day so think I may separate everything out into where they need to go so can just pick up a bag to take when it is convenient

Tree will go up next weekend
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 30th Nov 17, 10:44 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Just to say that GIRLINAYELLOWDRESS says to let you all know she's settling into the new place and that all the stress was worth it now she's in. She's hoping to have internet up and running on 7th so will be back soon.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 1st Dec 17, 6:40 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    creative gal
    How has it got to December already?! (I've still got to get quite a few presents, and have an epic wrapping session once said presents have been brought.) On the plus side, I wrote all my work Christmas cards last night, and have had an early Christmas present from my hubby in the form of a Hotel Chocolat advent calendar. Only 10 working days until I and the colleague I sit next to break up for Christmas, I can't wait. We'll be getting the tree on that Friday afternoon/ evening.
    • mandco
    • By mandco 1st Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 8,927 Thanks
    mandco
    Peppa thanks for the update

Happy December 1st everyone

early start this morning as Taz was so excited about the elves arriving today

Still have a few presents to get but the majority are done. Plans for the month are a bit up in the air at the moment until I know what hours I will be working. Got to go in all day sunday so already had to reschedule what we had planned then.

Absolutely freezing here though no snow yet but there have been some nasty accidents due to ice so wrap up warm and be safe
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 1st Dec 17, 7:32 AM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 16,794 Thanks
    nic2075
    :x massmileHappy 1st of December!

It's exciting and sad at the same time lol. Excited that it's nearly xmas and the big build up has started properly. But sad and scary at how much I still need to buy and have zero money. But I always get there in the end.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 1st Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Yay, December! Will be putting decs up today, well starting anyway. May have to do it in stages but def front window, hallway and main tree today so very exciting. I agree it's bitter sweet though, I'm really excited but I know these next few weeks will go by in a flash and then it'll all be over for another year.

Just one pressie to buy (waiting for confirmation of size from DD2) and one to collect, both of those to wrap and I'm done. Still got cards to write and post but I don't send many so will probably get that done tonight.

Cold here again today but I don't think quite as cold as yesterday as the frost isn't as thick. No snow here either yet. My sister has placed a bet for snow on Christmas Day in Birmingham so MURIE you'll have to let us know

Happy December 1st!
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 1st Dec 17, 9:41 AM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 25,961 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi all,
    We have finished decorating the lounge. Just need to put the curtain rail back up and hang the new curtains - will be doing that tonight. DH said we can get the decs out of the loft tonight so I will be feeling a lot more festive after that whoop whoop.
    Got in-laws tickets to see the Hollies for April. They are moving/downsizing next year and have enough 'things' so a night out/voucher for somewhere usually goes down well.
    Had a Very order delivered to the local convenience store. Was told it was four parcels but have had a reminder for a fifth. Every item in it's own bag and one item delivered twice although I only order one! DS1 will be getting an extra pack of pants
    Christmas Fayre at church this Sunday, which I'm the lead on. Once that's done and dusted I am hoping to wrap some bits and bobs up. I'm off Thursday and Friday and the following Friday, so will be hitting the shops to get the remainder of my kids pressies. Haven't even thought about food but do know we are hosting 15 on Christmas Eve. Just us 5 for Christmas Day which is easy enough.
    Glad to see the elves are making an appearance. We have three teens so we are past that stage, although the chocolate advents were being fought over last night. I got three different ones but they all wanted Maltesers - can't win!
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    • By 04624181 1st Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 5,781 Thanks
    Hi everyone,

The pages are moving fast, full of organised people who will be sat happily enjoying the festive period very soon. My back has gone out again and I have been diagnosed with a connective tissue disorder. Not great news but the diagnosis has made alot of my symptoms make sense. I have been ordering up a storm online and have gt most of the Christmas shopping done inbetween the painkillers knocking me out. I need to wrap some gifts at some point x

I have been reading but struggling to retain the info as the painkillers are very strong. DS managed to find the elf last night for DD. He set it all up for her which is great knowing he will get involved this year!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 1st Dec 17, 7:50 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 26,579 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Keep missing the parcel delivery people...really hope I don't have to go to their depot to collect.

Happy December folks. Almost here now. 24 sleeps and he'll have been

Been blinking cold here past few nights. Think my nice cushion in the gas/electric accounts will have gone down considerably as had the heating on a lot higher

Sorry you are having back troubles 046

Hope those with visiting elves are all having fun planning little things they might do
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 2nd Dec 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Main Christmas tree up and done front window done hallway done Christmas tree in back room half done (need to get an extra set of lights so can't do any more for now) cards written and ready for stamps on Monday It's going to be a great December!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 2nd Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 26,579 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Wow peppa well done! Sounds like you have been busy.
    • mandco
    • By mandco 2nd Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 8,927 Thanks
    mandco
    peppa wow it sounds like you have had productive day

today has been hectic kitten had her jabs 1st things -I totally forgot so thankfully they text to remind me last night. Then had to take ds to the opticians as he broke his glasses at school by time we'd done that the shops were heaving managed to pick up a few bits I needed but I totally forgot to pick up my M&S order
    Got my 1st day on my new job tomorrow going to be a long day and taz is not happy that I won't be home

hot choc & and early night I think
    tc all
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 2nd Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Right, planning my schedule for the next few days to get as much as possible before shops get mental and last posting dates pass!

Sunday;
    - Write Christmas cards for friends in USA and Japan.
    - Wrap gifts for friend in Netherlands.
    - Go through Christmas box and dig out everything bought so far.

Monday;
    - Post the stuff from Monday.
    - Finish Dad's gifts.
    - Pick up order from Hotel Chocolat

Tuesday;
    - Buy Mum's birthday gift and card and finish her Christmas buying.
    - Look for gifts for my old housemate's little girls.

Wednesday;
    - Finish buying for DH.
    - Finish reverse advent calendar for the food bank.

I can then hopefully start wrapping up on Thursday! Sisters are almost done, brother is just chocolate so can wait another week.

Must remember to buy more sellotape too!!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 3rd Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 26,579 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Sounds like you are very organised vintage!

Day off for me tomorrow. My to do list involves finishing one last crafting piece, wrapping a few last bits and printing off a photo I keep forgetting to do.

Only have tomorrow, Saturday, 11th, 13th and 18th off now before Christmas!

Hope everyone is ok and had a good weekend. Any more trees up?
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 3rd Dec 17, 9:53 PM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 25,961 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Christmas Fayre at church today and I was the main organiser, which meant going down yesterday to set up and then running around like a loon today making sure all went smoothly. Last year this event raised just over £1k but we are at £277 currently with four tables still to give in their takings. I am beyond disappointed
    Outside lights went up yesterday but due to the Fayre and then coming home and clearing the ironing pile whilst DH cooked, we still haven't got our tree up. Tomorrow night I will get the decks down from the loft and we will sort out the tree. Not all bad today though as I watched the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special and laughed out loud a lot.
    Must order some bits on line this week and I'm off Thursday and Friday so will shop for stocking gifts and something for my two nieces who we rarely see as they live abroad with their mum. Will probably go with clothes as anything else will probably get binned.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 3rd Dec 17, 9:59 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 26,579 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Aww Coxy don't be too downhearted. At least there is some money made - it all helps and maybe the remaining four stalls will help boost even more for you
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 4th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Wow 23 hours and nobody has posted Hope everyone's ok and feeling festive.
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 4th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 26,579 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    I'm here Peppa.

Day off was ok. Done a few things I needed to but time seemed to go too fast. Just four days off now before Christmas - feels like too much to do in so little time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

712Posts Today

4,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin