Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,168Posts
    • 12,566Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 106
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 27th Nov 17, 6:16 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 8,810 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    A quick pop in, we’ve only gone and bloomin done it. We are currently sat on the sofa surrounded by boxes in our new home. It’s going to take some work but at the moment we’re just focusing on making space for Christmas x
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 27th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 26,520 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    So pleased it all worked out girlinayellowdress!

Wishing you lots of happiness in your new home
    • mandco
    • By mandco 27th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 8,921 Thanks
    mandco
    A quick pop in, we’ve only gone and bloomin done it. We are currently sat on the sofa surrounded by boxes in our new home. It’s going to take some work but at the moment we’re just focusing on making space for Christmas x
    Originally posted by girlinayellowdress
    absolutely brilliant news glad things finally worked out

a little bit of good news myself today went for an interview yesterday and they said they would let me know by the end of the week got a call just after 9 this morning offering me the job not totally sure that taking on a new job this close to xmas is a great idea esp as its longer hours & further to travel but the extra money will def come in handy.

The main tree is up its 1/2 finished but that is partly down to the fact that we have a new family member a beautiful 3 month old calico kitten who spends 80% of the day up it knocking all the baubles off
    Last edited by mandco; 27-11-2017 at 8:33 PM.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 27th Nov 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 15,321 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Happy New Home GYD
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • murie
    • By murie 28th Nov 17, 5:33 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 9,198 Thanks
    murie
    Great new GYD xx
    lovin' this site!
    • maryasmith447
    • By maryasmith447 28th Nov 17, 7:37 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    maryasmith447
    Great help for me to buy Christmas stuff
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 28th Nov 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 4,155 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Great news GYD!!!

Cheeky little update whilst I am bunged up with cold, was meant to be getting my tree delivered by a garden centre £45 for a 6ft tree but Aldi have 6 ft trees for £20 so going to try one of those. Will be picking up & decorating tonight.
    Hiraeth
    • murie
    • By murie 28th Nov 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 9,198 Thanks
    murie
    Card swap details sent! Everyone that has pm'd me that they would like to take part has been sent details of who they are swapping with.

Oakdene- everyone seems to have a nasty cold at the mo (apart from me I am lucky ). I would go with the Aldi one too if its half price!
    lovin' this site!
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 28th Nov 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 4,155 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Murie - yeah its going round work, I've decided to eat a load of oranges today to help shift it... I shall indeed be going with the Aldi one- I will let you all know tonight how it goes.
    Hiraeth
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 28th Nov 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 15,321 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks MURIE.

OAKDENE that's a great price for a real tree, we paid £50 at the garden centre the year before last.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 28th Nov 17, 9:38 AM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 26,520 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Thanks for the sorting the card swap Murie.

Oakdene sorry you are full of cold...it's all that kissing

Hope the tree is suitable. Great price.

Need to pop to town soon and try and find a couple of silly things for. Other half's stocking. Also need birthday wrapping paper as it's all Christmas paper in my drawer

Then I might wrap the few bits that I ordered on pay day that arrived as I am slowly (quickly!) running out of spare time.

27 sleeps until Christmas Day. You would never know we are counting in our house - we're just two big kids

Will dig out our advent calendar too and fill the pockets
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 28th Nov 17, 12:16 PM
    • 4,360 Posts
    • 42,312 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Congrats GIYD, happy new home!

Congrats to you too MandCo on your new job

Stokiebecks, your hamper looks awesome

Peppapig, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks like that, it was nice to see all the handmade stalls surrounded by people and very few around the two mass produced tables as its so often the other way round (I do wonder why these people go to craft fairs to shop if they only want to buy mugs and socks with Marvel characters on them ).

Had a few more bits picked up this morning as DH managed to talk me into going through the first cupboard under the stairs. Feel like we are actually getting somewhere and DH's momentum is still going (its a very tricky thing, trying to keep DH motivated while not letting him get carried away ) he's now outside taking pictures of the lawn roller, the spare wheelbarrow, a water butt and his uncles old fireplace surround! You never know, we might actually have the garden back as well by christmas

p.s! we can actually get to the tree and decorations in the loft now!
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 28th Nov 17, 3:57 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Great news GYD

Decorating is finally finished so now I have a few days to get the house back together so that I can get the tree etc down from the attic.

I'm having a well deserved day off work tomorrow to go Christmas shopping too, so I'm really starting to feel more & more Christmassy now.

I bought a few small gifts today in Asda while I was getting myself some lunch. Nothing major really, just stocking filler type gifts for my daughters and my Dad, but it's something I can get wrapped & start to put presents under the tree. I love seeing wrapped gifts under the tree, but I only put the presents for the rest of the family. Presents for my daughters and OH come direct from Santa!!
    • mandco
    • By mandco 28th Nov 17, 3:57 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 8,921 Thanks
    mandco
    M&S have the musical tree biscuit tin 1/2 price now £5 this week so that is another thing ticked off the list. The design isn't particually xmassy this year as seems to be the theme with M&S but it does mean you could use it more all year round other than the music if you were inclined.

can't remember who asked as it was a while ago but poundland had the xmas haribo mini packs in stock today ( 11 mini packs for £1)

Oakdene hope your feeling better soon I've still got this flippin cough/cold thing that Taz gave me a couple of weeks ago cant seem to shift it great price on the tree

Storkiebecks that was me the other week loads of xmas wrap but not single sheet of suitable birthday wrap and couldn't get to a shop so ended up using my least xmassy gift bag
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 28th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 26,520 Thanks
    StokieBecks

Need smaller chocolates next year but squeezed the Lindt in

Semi productive day but it has gone too fast and not done everything I hoped to do.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 29th Nov 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 4,155 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Afternoon all, just had my lunch in work.

Am pleased to say that the tree is up!!! I must admit it is a very nice tree from Aldi, they do 5ft trees for £14.99 & 6ft for £19.99.

We had fun decorating it last night, so all thats left for me to do is light the fire Friday evening & have some mulled wine & wrap presents.
    Hiraeth
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 29th Nov 17, 3:14 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 2,102 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Afternoon all.

Ears slightly better but now I have a cold. Typical!

I only have a few more presents to buy. Have started wrapping - done my Mum's and today did my friend's presents because I'm seeing her tomorrow before she moves away.

Got my Mum's advent calendar done! It's already sitting downstairs in the front room in a gift bag - ready to be quickly moved when my niece comes.

Oh, nearly forgot to tell you my heart news. Finally got test results letter through post. Very vague. I (after googling the terms!) have mild regurgitation on two valves and bradycardia at night (which is weird cause my main problem is my heart going too fast not too slow!). This is all well and good but the letter explains very little about what this means so I guess I have to wait till my next appointment end of Jan to find out.

Ah well, think Christmas thoughts! Not long till advent now.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 29th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 26,520 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Evening

Hope everyone is ok.

Clumsy shame you have to rely on Google for test result meanings. They should write things simply in a patient write up.

Nothing Christmassy done here today. Been out for a meal for other half's birthday. Definitely need to stop spending money now this month. Been an expensive couple of months - I can't even really blame Christmas as most of that is saved for every month.
    • fiona20
    • By fiona20 30th Nov 17, 2:31 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    fiona20
    My youngest son, about 7 then, came to me a few days after Christmas: "I know Santa isn't really real. I know it's you and Dad."

"Really? What did you get for Christmas this year?"

"This and this and this...."

"And in your stocking?"

"This and this and marbles and jacks...."

"Marbles and jacks. Would *I* have ever given you marbles and jacks?"

Silence. Wide-eyed thoughtfulness. Huh.

Worked for another year, anyway.

Thing is, there was no trauma about it; no sense of betrayal that Santa was real one day and not-real the next. No sense of "You lied to me!" because the lie was understood to be necessary to the Santa story. Like Neil said, "Kids aren't stupid". Santa is real, and then Santa is a story. So?

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 03-12-2017 at 8:34 AM. Reason: Self Promotion
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 30th Nov 17, 8:45 AM
    • 19,707 Posts
    • 31,853 Thanks
    Spendless
    Haven't got time to read through but we are off to London today and France tomorrow for the weekend. I'm about halfway thru pressie buying so hope to pick up some more over the next few days.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

520Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter