Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonbvn
    • By Jonbvn 22nd Dec 16, 8:29 AM
    • 5,300Posts
    • 5,574Thanks
    Jonbvn
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017
    • 22nd Dec 16, 8:29 AM
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017 22nd Dec 16 at 8:29 AM
    Myself and bugslet have decided to target walking 2000 miles in 2017.

Although a big target, I think it is achievable with consistent effort.

Anyone who wants to join us, feel free to post on this thread. Also feel free to post updates on your progress.

Good luck and stride on!
    Last edited by Jonbvn; 23-12-2016 at 5:09 AM.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot
Page 19
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 7th Jun 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    SplanK
    Well, Monday and Tues morning were no go in terms of getting out, however last nights walk combined with this mornings, I have just clicked over to 1000.1 miles!

Half way done!
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    wow - well done. Injury issues are still slowing me a bit but I am on plan for 1000, just not going to make the 1500 I originally hoped for.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 7th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4,907 Posts
    • 11,488 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    88.14 miles to add for two fitbit reports. I'm sure I am missing one but will have to make do with that as I can find it.

That moves me up to 869.49 miles.

Need 43.5 miles for each of the next 3 weeks to be on target.

Hmmm I'll start making an effort tomorrow.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £217.53
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1490.18 miles
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 8th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 27,976 Thanks
    bugslet
    Rain...when is it going to stop. I've normally done a couple of miles by now, think it could be measured in yards this morning.
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 8th Jun 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    SplanK
    My alarm went off at half 5.... opened my ears, listened the rain bouncing off the conservatory roof and went back sleep until 7 haha

I think I am going to end up chewing into my lead this week at this rate. Looking at the forecast I may go Ikea this evening instead of a 2hr strole.... in fact if I did a few laps I could get a few miles in!!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 8th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 27,976 Thanks
    bugslet
    My alarm went off at half 5.... opened my ears, listened the rain bouncing off the conservatory roof and went back sleep until 7 haha

I think I am going to end up chewing into my lead this week at this rate. Looking at the forecast I may go Ikea this evening instead of a 2hr strole.... in fact if I did a few laps I could get a few miles in!!
    Originally posted by SplanK
    Half 5, so late. I got up at 5.15 as susual, thought maybe it's better in Salford....it wan't.

Gemini? I'll see you for some meatballs later then, it'smy only chance as well!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 8th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 9,228 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Rain...when is it going to stop. I've normally done a couple of miles by now, think it could be measured in yards this morning.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    I must be daft then, I have just continued to walk the dog pretty much as normal. Although I have taken him out fewer times, we have covered about the same amount of distance.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2986.4
    This week 70.1
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 9th Jun 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    SplanK
    Gemini? I'll see you for some meatballs later then, it'smy only chance as well!
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Yep, ended up there last night picking up a bed for my 4 year old! Sods law the rain stopped though and I missed out on a good evening to build up this weeks miles.

Managed to avoid having meatballs, but did end up having a chippie!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 9th Jun 17, 4:46 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 27,976 Thanks
    bugslet
    I must be daft then, I have just continued to walk the dog pretty much as normal. Although I have taken him out fewer times, we have covered about the same amount of distance.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    No wiz, you aren't. If it was the weekend I'd be out, but my dogs come to work and walk in the morning - thereby missing the rush hour - and walk at lunchtime. I'd end up wet, and so would they. Office is not geared up for wet walking, and Tbh, the dogs don't like it really.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 9th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 27,976 Thanks
    bugslet
    Yep, ended up there last night picking up a bed for my 4 year old! Sods law the rain stopped though and I missed out on a good evening to build up this weeks miles.

Managed to avoid having meatballs, but did end up having a chippie!
    Chippie, now you tell me.

Never actually had meatballs from IKEA!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 16,049 Thanks
    indesisiv
    62.8 miles run this week: Total of 15,440 ft of ascent too

Brings me up to 918.2 miles for the year.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 11th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    SplanK
    Awful week this week..... only 29 miles. Stress, weather and other stuff getting in the way! Decided that today will be a 'reset' day as such, scoff myself silly with icecream and start again tomorrow....

Total so far, 1016.7
    • Jonbvn
    • By Jonbvn 12th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    • 5,300 Posts
    • 5,574 Thanks
    Jonbvn
    Reporting in at the end of the 23rd week 11 June 2017:

As of midnight Sunday night, I have walked 1399.68 miles putting me 504.46 miles ahead of schedule.

Temperature is really cranking up now. It was 47 degrees (yes that is centigrade!) yesterday lunchtime. However, evenings are OK, and I will be back in the UK for 2 weeks from the weekend.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 13th Jun 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    SplanK
    wow..... that's 40c higher than I would be comfortable with lol!

I seem to have got my walking hat back on! So far 20.3 miles this week already. Concentrating on getting my mileage up and back into a routine, then will worry about my eating habits later.... although saying that it seems to be falling mostly back into place by itself now a number of stresses have lifted off my shoulders!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 14th Jun 17, 9:17 AM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 27,976 Thanks
    bugslet
    I'm struggling when it gets to 20, I can never see myself acclimatising to that! You'll be the guy back in the Uk with a scarf and overcoat on, complaining about the 'cold'....

Pretty much stayed on track so far. I'll do a mileage total at the end of the month.

Just come back from a nice weekend away near Skipton, walking was around the required daily total, but any health benefits were outweighed by the restaurant and Betty's tearooms. Well, you can't go to Harrogate and not eat at Bettys, it would be a sin!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 18th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 9,228 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Sig updated with totals.
    I am still averaging over 9 miles a day so I am well ahead of the target for the year.

My Rambling group does not want dogs on the weekend walks so I am not going either, I am not losing out on any miles as I cover the ground with the dog anyway.

This week 70.1
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 18th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 16,049 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Just 26.2 miiles this week, which is quite apt considering the reason it is so low is due to tapering for a marathon next sat. 944.5 for the year so far.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 18th Jun 17, 9:32 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    SplanK
    a nice healthy 48.4 miles this week for me! Although would have been more if it wasn't for this silly weather. Managed 6 miles this morning but should have been more but the heat was unbearable!

Total 1065.1

And now need another set of walking shoes/boots. The ones I have now are starting to show their age and starting to hurt my feat.... the next set will be my 5th this year!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 19th Jun 17, 9:20 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 9,228 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    And now need another set of walking shoes/boots. The ones I have now are starting to show their age and starting to hurt my feat.... the next set will be my 5th this year!
    I just picked up a cheap pair this morning in Aldi £14.99, they should see me through the rest of the summer and save wear & tear on my good boots

This week 70.1
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 19th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 5,692 Posts
    • 27,976 Thanks
    bugslet
    I've definitley slumped a bit in this heat. The dogs don't want to walk too much either, so my buffer might be slipping.

I've still got the pair of Merrills I got around Xmas times and another pair that I picked up from Sports Direct £34.99, both seem to be doing fine. Gfplux suggested not wearing the same pair of shoes every day, so I took note!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter