Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonbvn
    • By Jonbvn 22nd Dec 16, 8:29 AM
    • 5,294Posts
    • 5,554Thanks
    Jonbvn
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017
    • 22nd Dec 16, 8:29 AM
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017 22nd Dec 16 at 8:29 AM
    Myself and bugslet have decided to target walking 2000 miles in 2017.

Although a big target, I think it is achievable with consistent effort.

Anyone who wants to join us, feel free to post on this thread. Also feel free to post updates on your progress.

Good luck and stride on!
    Last edited by Jonbvn; 23-12-2016 at 5:09 AM.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot
Page 12
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 20th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 5,019 Posts
    • 25,337 Thanks
    bugslet
    Not tallied mine up from last week. 06.00 starts, out in the evening with customers, literally no chance to walk. And today it is bucketing down
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Mar 17, 11:29 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 5,420 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I am ahead against my 1000 mile plan but not far enough ahead to be on plan for 1500 yet. I am hopeful that I can get a few more jogs in as that boosts the count - the dog walking has to happen whether I jog or not.
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 20th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    SplanK
    Just about managed a 36.8 week.

Taken 2 miles of my buffer but I thought I was going to take a decent chunk of out it! Ended up working very late Tuesday evening which meant that nights, and the following mornings walk was lost, didn't go as far on Friday than I had planned, but managed to scrap together a few walks Sat/Sun in-between the rain to pad it out.

My total is now 478.7

This week is another challenge week between the lads at work so hopefully I will have a decent run at it again.... assuming the rain behaves!

oh, I have another pair of walking boots lol. Took back the Kerrimores shoes I bought, they literally lasted 2 weeks before the sole wore away (120 miles), and now have some Regatta boots with Vibram soles which have a very deep, and firm tread.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 20th Mar 17, 6:49 PM
    • 5,019 Posts
    • 25,337 Thanks
    bugslet
    Don't say I don't try! Just come back from a walk and the last ten minutes the heavens opened, literally opened. Even had to change knickers, they weren't damp so much as soaked, I was literally squeezing rain out of them. Not as bad as the Newfoundland owner who had gone out in his shorts. Newfie was really happy though!

This walking, it is good for you, isn't it
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Don't say I don't try! Just come back from a walk and the last ten minutes the heavens opened, literally opened.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Its all sent to test us. We just had a few mins of hail right in the middle of our 30 min interval session. It was most painful!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 20th Mar 17, 8:44 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    SplanK
    And here was me, went out prepared for the worst.... full waterproofs..... not a single drop of rain!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 20th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    And here was me, went out prepared for the worst.... full waterproofs..... not a single drop of rain!
    Originally posted by SplanK
    I was prepared I had shorts and a t-shirt on .... with gloves
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 21st Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 4,549 Posts
    • 9,569 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Good week for me according to fitbit

57.93 miles to add which was helped by being in a workweek challenge.

Came second to a man that is superfit and will never be beaten so was happy with 2nd place.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....781.35 miles
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 21st Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Good week for me according to fitbit

57.93 miles to add which was helped by being in a workweek challenge.

Came second to a man that is superfit and will never be beaten so was happy with 2nd place.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    We have one of those leagues at work. Sadly my garmin won't translate to fitbit league steps. Which is a shame as the vouchers for the week were won with 60 miles of steps.

As I ran 58 miles before taking into any account of the usual amount of steps that you do during a day I feel I am missing out on some vouchers there somehow!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 22nd Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 5,343 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I have not done as many miles as I had hoped so far this week
    I have a bit of a chest infection so the dogs are just getting as far as a poop & pee then back home again

Still managing 6 miles/day though.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1226.3
    This week 77.42
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 22nd Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    SplanK
    6 miles is still good going, esp when a chest infection and doing that over 6 days will net you a decent weekly chunk so you wont loose to much!

I have the day off today and had planned a 12 mile trip around Rivington (my normal route which takes goes from the caf!/go ape car park, to pigeon tower, then pike, then 2 lads, then winter hill and circle back around to the pike and retrace my steps and then the rest of the miles is 'wing it'), but 'backwards', going up winter hill the steep side rather than coming down the steep side! However looking out of the window, I would need a boat rather than walking boots so trying to find all those little DIY jobs that I have been meaning to do for a while in the hope it may clear up later and I will just plod around town! Will have to see if the wife will let me do that walk very early AM Sat instead!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 22nd Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 5,019 Posts
    • 25,337 Thanks
    bugslet
    6 miles is still fine though Wiz, it's more than you would need to do ib a daily basis to make the 2000 miles.

SplanK, you are not far from me and I wouldn't go out today up Winter Hill either. Bad enough going for a fifteen minute constitutional round Salford Quays!
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 22nd Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    SplanK
    SplanK, you are not far from me and I wouldn't go out today up Winter Hill either. Bad enough going for a fifteen minute constitutional round Salford Quays!
    Meh, damp ground conditions don't concern me too much, but walking in rain is just depressing!

Ive lost all interest for today now and now treating it as a rest day. Just took in a delivery of some new blinds so should keep me quiet until the wife and kids get back home
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Mar 17, 1:56 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    It has been a gorgeous sunny day here today, alas we now have rain that looks like it is going to be set in till around 8 ish tonight. Sadly our club run is at 6:30 so looks like I am going to be doing 8 miles in the rain then.

Could be worse, I could have just booked a 2 night stay in the lakes starting Thurs. Hope they get all the roads open with all the snow they are having! It may be a tad tiring running up the mountains in the snow!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 22nd Mar 17, 2:09 PM
    • 5,019 Posts
    • 25,337 Thanks
    bugslet
    Meh, damp ground conditions don't concern me too much, but walking in rain is just depressing!

Ive lost all interest for today now and now treating it as a rest day. Just took in a delivery of some new blinds so should keep me quiet until the wife and kids get back home
    Originally posted by SplanK
    I don't mind rain actually, unless it's totally torential. In fact I quite like it apart from the dogs being wet when I get back home.

I'd definitely choose walking in rain over putting blinds up!

Lakes, bound to be sunny indesisiv
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 22nd Mar 17, 2:35 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I don't mind rain actually, unless it's totally torential. In fact I quite like it apart from the dogs being wet when I get back home.

I'd definitely choose walking in rain over putting blinds up!

Lakes, bound to be sunny indesisiv
    I've got a few mates over there at the moment ... its very wet in the valleys and snowy up top. Oh well I'm going anyway. Should be nice on Friday when I go out for my first run.

I don't mind rain as long as it is raining when you set off. Also helps if it is not too hot when it rains too. Then you can wear waterproofs and not sweat to death.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 22nd Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 5,019 Posts
    • 25,337 Thanks
    bugslet
    If it gets too bad, you could always go to the pub. It's my default option
    • Sarahdol75
    • By Sarahdol75 25th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    • 6,118 Posts
    • 82,162 Thanks
    Sarahdol75
    Sorry not been around, completely forgot!!!

I have been walking lots, or trying to anyway.

Im full of cold this week, but still trying to get out and about.

My signature is up to date now, as of this week.
    Walk 2000 miles in a year challenge 2017 -

229.37 January
    222.5 February
    218.80 March
    290.10 April

Taking part in Race for Life 25 June 2017
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 25th Mar 17, 10:34 PM
    • 7,654 Posts
    • 15,424 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Improvement this week, 42 miles must do an annual total so far. Will
    apart op back and update in a min. Need to be over 500 miles by end March I guess!

*update* have walked a total of 441.6 miles against a target of 423.5. Need to do 60 miles in next fortnight to be on target. Pretty sure I can manage that'll
    Originally posted by belfastgirl23
    36.25 this week. Has been crazy busy and my hay fever just kicked in so I'm ok with that. Esp since I walked 6 miles in sleety rain on Wednesday. 478 miles on the year so far and need to do 22 this week to be on course for the year.

Good luck for the 25% (500 miles) by end March!

• Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 26th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    Charlton King
    Has anyone got a rough 'mileage equivalent' for the often mentioned daily 10k steps?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,398Posts Today

8,608Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Beware the hidden £1,000s parents aren't told they must pay for University fees. My new FT column https://t.co/gDOyZDMCr9 (free to read) RT

• Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Follow Martin