Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chanie
    • By chanie 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    • 1,893Posts
    • 9,684Thanks
    chanie
    2017 - Spend less, live more
    • 22nd Dec 16, 7:56 AM
    2017 - Spend less, live more 22nd Dec 16 at 7:56 AM
    This is a new spending diary for 2017 for me.

I have an overdraft of a couple of thousand, which I want to reduce in 2017. Now that both children are at school, we have a bit more money to play with.

Life is just so expensive and it feels like we are constantly spending, what with family birthdays, home repairs and spending on the children.

Last year, I aimed to save £500 on purchases through 'clever' shopping - using discount codes, freebies, sales etc. I managed to save £620.46 - I have nearly £70 in cashback which I haven't included in this figure. This year, I aim to save £800.

I've started my 2017 diary early, as I was paid early this month.
    Here is what I have saved so far:
    Body shop - saved £20 40% off my normal skincare, plus a free body butter (which will be gifted at some point)
    Cinema - saved £9.58 on two cinema tickets to watch the new Star Wars film.
    Last edited by chanie; 22-12-2016 at 8:02 AM.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £189.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
Page 10
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Feb 18, 11:06 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 7,172 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie,

I agree that contrary to popular belief, London is not an expensive place to live if you open your eyes to all of the free events on offer every day and the discounted deals on offer. We also have really inexpensive public transport thanks to the hopper fare on buses and trams.

Thank you for mentioning CSSC. Once I know what income I have to live on then I will definitely love to be a member if you would not mind linking me to your membership when the time comes, as I am not employed as a civil servant and am unlikely to be in the future.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 14th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 2,605 Posts
    • 19,768 Thanks
    sashybo
    Chanie we're only ever in London as tourists or passing through on our way to somewhere else (usually the outlaws) so we always see the high prices. It's probably true of everywhere that there are cheaper places if you know where to go.

The public transport is definitely much better than anywhere else in the UK too, there just hasn't been as much investment elsewhere, TfL seem to know what they're doing & plan ahead unlike others TOCs & transport operators.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £9717 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £48,737.28
    Loan £3294.75, CC 0% BT £820, Car loans £23,789

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 9,684 Thanks
    chanie
    sashy TFL arent brilliant, its just that in London there are alternative transport options eg other tube lines or busses for when things go wrong.

Sugar if you want details about Cssc, let me know.

Today was a big spend day. It was DNs birthday and so me and Dsis took the children to soft play. I ended up spending nearly £50 and Im still horrified. I made a couple of amatuer mistakes which I dont normally make. Firstly, we went at lunchtime and I should have fed the children before we went, but I was rushing to met Dsis on time. Secondly, I should have bought the children;s water bottles - you arent supposed to bring your own, but plenty of people do. These mistakes meant I had to buy food and drink whilst there.

I told Dsis that because I have access to lots of cheap or free trips, Im not used to paying so much for so little return. We have done trips to the zoo and beach amusement parks for the same price as soft play. The children enjoyed themselves which was the main thing. I will make sure i am prepared if we go again.
    Spend less - £189.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 7,172 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Chanie, I know how you feel, as I like most people occasionally do things that cost me more than if I had planned ahead. Your children and your niece had a good time and that is what really counts.

When I go to the cinema or the theatre, I always take a bottle of water from home. There is no way I am going to pay for a bottle of water in a theatre or a cinema, when I buy 12 bottles of water for only £2 in my grocery shop. Most theatres have a bag check but I am not being asked to get rid of my bottle of water. Even when I went to the 02 where they do more rigorous bag checks. I was asked to bin my bottle of water, but then the security man changed his mind and let me keep it. I was really grateful for his kindness and his willingness to turn a blind eye.

I am spending the weekend in Birmingham with my sisters, so I will end up spending a lot. I did a much smaller weekly grocery shop, so that money and more will be spent on my trip.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 17,552 Posts
    • 105,158 Thanks
    maman
    sashy TFL arent brilliant, its just that in London there are alternative transport options eg other tube lines or busses for when things go wrong.
    Originally posted by chanie

I think one of the advantages of TfL is that it's almost 24/7. At least it is in the more central parts that I visit. I'm fortunate that I live on bus routes that serve the university and the bus companies have cottoned on to the fact that students like to go out at night and at weekends! Other services seem to stop or become very infrequent soon after teatime and on Sundays.

I told Dsis that because I have access to lots of cheap or free trips, Im not used to paying so much for so little return. We have done trips to the zoo and beach amusement parks for the same price as soft play. The children enjoyed themselves which was the main thing. I will make sure i am prepared if we go again.
    Originally posted by chanie

I don't mind paying for something that I think is value for money and gives me pleasure but I hate paying for something I can do just as easily myself. A bottle of water would definitely come into that category. Personally I'm happy with tap water.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 9,684 Thanks
    chanie

I don't mind paying for something that I think is value for money and gives me pleasure but I hate paying for something I can do just as easily myself. A bottle of water would definitely come into that category. Personally I'm happy with tap water.
    Originally posted by maman

I agree. We normally take a packed lunch on our trips out as we've found that amusement park type food is often over priced and not very nice - we'd much rather save our money and go to a restaurant at another time.
    Spend less - £189.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 7,172 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman,

My body can not take tap water, so I drink bottled water all the time at home and when I am out.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 16th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 9,684 Thanks
    chanie
    Frugal stuff

£41 saved on a trip to Eltham Palace with my English Heritage membership. We had to pay £1 for an activity but received a prize worth £3 per child. The children have forgotten about their prize so Ill Put it aside for a charity donation.

We took a packed lunch today and I made some sausage rolls. Dsis was impressed with them, until I told her that the pastry was shop bought.

£7.53 saved in the Sainsburys 25% off clothing. I bought the children some underwear and socks. Ill buy some more at the next event.
    Last edited by chanie; 18-02-2018 at 7:10 PM.
    Spend less - £189.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    • chanie
    • By chanie 17th Feb 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 9,684 Thanks
    chanie
    £17.10 Saved today on a restaurant meal with a tastecard (241 on all courses) - a belated Valentines Day meal for me and OH.

£2.25 Saved on some more underwear for DS is the Sainsburys 25% off clothing
    Last edited by chanie; 18-02-2018 at 7:09 PM.
    Spend less - £189.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 19th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 7,172 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Great Savings Chanie on your family day out and on the items you bought
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,682Users online

Martin's Twitter