Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 19th Dec 16, 9:23 PM
    • 7,677Posts
    • 15,455Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Resolutions: Return to this thread December 2017
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:23 PM
    Resolutions: Return to this thread December 2017 19th Dec 16 at 9:23 PM
    Following on from our December 2016 resolutions thread this is your chance to set your intentions for 2017.

Well done to everyone who achieved some of their goals in 2016 - remember if you don't fail occasionally you aren't reaching high enough!

I will come back and post mine when I've had a chance to think but I know some people are better organised than me. I've signed up for a bootcamp course to run from the end of January to Easter so that's going to be my first one anyway

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-12-2017 at 9:55 AM.

Page 4
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 7th Dec 17, 6:29 AM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 8,339 Thanks
    uberalles
    ^^^^^^^^^

Well done and congratulations to you both.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I never did complete this for 2017 as I was ashamed of meeting few off of the 2016 list.

However I finally managed to complete mine this year for 2016 including selling my 'too big' house.

So mortgage free and funds in the bank, earning very little, retirement planning is in process, looking at the ripe old age of 53. Three years and 4 months to go.
    Lost fears of love come flooding back, every time you cry gives me a little heart attack
    There's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    Grab a little pickle & a little slap & tickle, you have to throw a stone to get the pool to ripple.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Dec 17, 7:03 AM
    • 5,783 Posts
    • 28,303 Thanks
    bugslet
    Have you lurked on the early retirement wannabe thread on the pensions board uberalles? Or on the over 50s board, the everyday ordinary man thread about retiring without a huge pot is developing nicely.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 7th Dec 17, 7:10 AM
    • 7,437 Posts
    • 10,394 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I thought I posted on this thread (I definitely did on the 2016 thread) but can't find it now, so it seems I didn't
    Probably just as well as I don't feel I've achieved much this year
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Dec 17, 7:45 AM
    • 5,783 Posts
    • 28,303 Thanks
    bugslet
    Congratulations on your engagement Gavin

And we'll done xxmessedupxx, you are really rocking there. Might not have quite sorted the overdraft, but you now know the strategy was wrong and you've put a better plan into action. Sounds like .5 win to me
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 7th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 7,519 Thanks
    Gavin83
    ^^^^^^^^^

Well done and congratulations to you both.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Originally posted by uberalles
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Thanks! I decided not to put it in my original aims as while she doesn't actively read these boards I didn't think it was worth the risk.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 7th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 3,485 Posts
    • 9,907 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    God I've done so baddddddddd
    In December 2017 I will.........

1 - weigh 10st 7lbs - currently 16st 7lbs - FAIL

2 - be debt free - currently owe around 9k - DONE well will be by 21 December 2017 when I make the last payment!

3 - have savings - want to buy a house in the next few years - FAIL

4 - increase fitness levels - currently a lazy sod - FAIL

5 - more quality time with husband, friends and family - do alright at this but sometimes it's struggle trying to fit them all in! - FAIL

Will get on the next one to add my goals for next year which I really really want to achieve!

Dxxx
    Starting Debt - £15,000
    Remaining Debt - £980

Starting Weight - 16st 7lbs
    Current Weight - 15st 9lbs
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 7th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,467 Posts
    • 10,440 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Lose three stones

Complete my GCSE Mathematics with a 9, 8 or a 7 (yes, they've changed the marking system again)

Move into my newly refurbished house - five to six month conpletion schedule, they start in the New Year.

Decide what I want to do with the rest of my life - I'm 49 next month, I need to get a move on

Perhaps, have a proper, bone fide holiday for more than a weekend.

Start to learn to drive
    Originally posted by Gingernutty
    I've started to learn to drive. That's it.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 7th Dec 17, 7:50 PM
    • 6,807 Posts
    • 35,759 Thanks
    tattycath
    I thought I posted on this thread (I definitely did on the 2016 thread) but can't find it now, so it seems I didn't
    Probably just as well as I don't feel I've achieved much this year
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    I am the same Jackie. I thought I posted on this thread too, but it must have been last year.
    I've achieved rock all this year. In fact I will go as far as to say that my life has been turned on its head.
    Roll on 2018-2017 has not been kind.
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    Mortgage overpayments: August: £203.90
    July : £5.05/£200 grocery 1/7/17 £98.36/£150
    Emergency savings £67.00/£2000
    Savercard Christmas savings £60
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 7th Dec 17, 11:40 PM
    • 17,056 Posts
    • 44,853 Thanks
    xXMessedUpXx

And we'll done xxmessedupxx, you are really rocking there. Might not have quite sorted the overdraft, but you now know the strategy was wrong and you've put a better plan into action. Sounds like .5 win to me
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Thank you

My main aim for next year is pay off as much as i can. I'm giving the bf money every week to save for me (having bipolar of i had the cash i'd end up spending it! ) and we're going to pay it off in 4 £500 pound chunks. Then i can get saving for a deposit and we can get a place to live! I'm very excited and more motivated than ever!
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    weight lost: 1lbs
    • MERFE
    • By MERFE 8th Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 5,856 Thanks
    MERFE
    Aims for 2017

1 Lose weight, at least 3 stone

2 Run more

3 Declutter, I have alot of craft items I no longer use so I aim to have none left by next Christmas and a nice empty desk.
    Originally posted by MERFE

1 nope, started well but was poorly in April and didn't get back into it. Will attempt again this year but lower target 2 stone loss.

2 Well I did manage this one, went at least a couple of times a week and did a few 5k runs but haven't been at all since beginning of Nov, it's just so cold. I want to carry on with the running next year, maybe increase to 3 times a week.

3 It was a big aim, I guess work and other stuff got in the way. I have less than last year but still boxes full of stuff and my desk is not clear. 2 big car boots in the summer did pay for our little summer holiday (3 nights hotel).
    • Starchaser
    • By Starchaser 8th Dec 17, 10:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Starchaser
    Update
    Hello everyone,
    So it's been nearly a year since my stated aims (and since I last posted on MSE full stop!).
    Let's see what I said and how I did:

"-lose 2 stone, having eaten terribly over the last 12 months and gotten into the worst shape of my life"
    Partial success here. I started 2017 with an alcohol and chocolate biscuit-free January and I lost over a stone. Sadly since then weight has yo-yo-ed slightly and with the festive season approaching I've started treat-eating in earnest again. Will hopefully not get as heavy as last new year though!

"-finish decorating my house"
    Partial success. Have made progress but still bits to do.

"-get out more generally (I've become a little too reclusive lately)"
    Probably about the same as last year.

"-read more"
    Again, about the same.

"-generally cram more in"
    Nah, can't say I've done too well here!

"Oh - and perhaps I should try a bit harder to meet someone too."
    Nope - still single!

So, some progress in 2017 but still lots to do - could have been worse I suppose! On to 2018
    • gien
    • By gien 8th Dec 17, 11:18 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 14,989 Thanks
    gien
    Just spotted this thread again!
    Yes, I managed all of my resolutions.

I got a job in A restaurant but am starting a new job in january as a clerk in my local hospital. My house has been done and we have plans drawn up for thw outhouses.
    Iíve lost about a stone and am quite a lot fitter because `i started running
    Social life has been slow to pick up but I am getting there

Is ther anothe rthread for the next year?
    By December 2017 I want to have:

1. Got some form of regular income - whether it be through getting a job, selling stuff I make or something else but I need to generate some money.

2. Got myself back into shape which means loosing a bit of weight, eating a bit better and doing some more exercise - I'm one of those middle aged people who aren't healthy enough.

3. Finished all the work in our house and at least started on the renovations of the outhouses.

4. Built up more of o social life where `I live whilst keeping in touch with old friends.

I might think of a few more things as time goes by but I can come back and edit this post...
    Originally posted by gien
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Mountain Man
    • By Mountain Man 13th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Mountain Man
    Cracked it
    Some 10 years ago my Resolution was to never make one again. That's the only one I've ever been able to keep!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter