Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 19th Dec 16, 9:23 PM
    • 7,689Posts
    • 15,469Thanks
    Resolutions: Return to this thread December 2017
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:23 PM
    Resolutions: Return to this thread December 2017 19th Dec 16 at 9:23 PM
    Following on from our December 2016 resolutions thread this is your chance to set your intentions for 2017.

Well done to everyone who achieved some of their goals in 2016 - remember if you don't fail occasionally you aren't reaching high enough!

I will come back and post mine when I've had a chance to think but I know some people are better organised than me. I've signed up for a bootcamp course to run from the end of January to Easter so that's going to be my first one anyway

This Forum tip was included in's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-12-2017 at 9:55 AM.

Page 4
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 7th Dec 17, 6:29 AM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 8,489 Thanks

Well done and congratulations to you both.

I never did complete this for 2017 as I was ashamed of meeting few off of the 2016 list.

However I finally managed to complete mine this year for 2016 including selling my 'too big' house.

So mortgage free and funds in the bank, earning very little, retirement planning is in process, looking at the ripe old age of 53. Three years and 4 months to go.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Dec 17, 7:03 AM
    • 6,046 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Have you lurked on the early retirement wannabe thread on the pensions board uberalles? Or on the over 50s board, the everyday ordinary man thread about retiring without a huge pot is developing nicely.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 7th Dec 17, 7:10 AM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 11,109 Thanks
    I thought I posted on this thread (I definitely did on the 2016 thread) but can't find it now, so it seems I didn't
    Probably just as well as I don't feel I've achieved much this year
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Dec 17, 7:45 AM
    • 6,046 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Congratulations on your engagement Gavin

And we'll done xxmessedupxx, you are really rocking there. Might not have quite sorted the overdraft, but you now know the strategy was wrong and you've put a better plan into action. Sounds like .5 win to me
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 7th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 4,958 Posts
    • 7,981 Thanks

Well done and congratulations to you both.
    Originally posted by uberalles
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Thanks! I decided not to put it in my original aims as while she doesn't actively read these boards I didn't think it was worth the risk.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 7th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    God I've done so baddddddddd
    In December 2017 I will.........

1 - weigh 10st 7lbs - currently 16st 7lbs - FAIL

2 - be debt free - currently owe around 9k - DONE well will be by 21 December 2017 when I make the last payment!

3 - have savings - want to buy a house in the next few years - FAIL

4 - increase fitness levels - currently a lazy sod - FAIL

5 - more quality time with husband, friends and family - do alright at this but sometimes it's struggle trying to fit them all in! - FAIL

Will get on the next one to add my goals for next year which I really really want to achieve!

CWP start 16st2lbs, current 14st4lbs, lost 26lbs

As of today I have 5 Nationwide Referrals available, PM me if you want £100 to switch accounts
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 7th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 10,500 Thanks
    Lose three stones

Complete my GCSE Mathematics with a 9, 8 or a 7 (yes, they've changed the marking system again)

Move into my newly refurbished house - five to six month conpletion schedule, they start in the New Year.

Decide what I want to do with the rest of my life - I'm 49 next month, I need to get a move on

Perhaps, have a proper, bone fide holiday for more than a weekend.

Start to learn to drive
    Originally posted by Gingernutty
    I've started to learn to drive. That's it.
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 7th Dec 17, 7:50 PM
    • 6,796 Posts
    • 35,962 Thanks
    I thought I posted on this thread (I definitely did on the 2016 thread) but can't find it now, so it seems I didn't
    Probably just as well as I don't feel I've achieved much this year
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    I am the same Jackie. I thought I posted on this thread too, but it must have been last year.
    I've achieved rock all this year. In fact I will go as far as to say that my life has been turned on its head.
    Roll on 2018-2017 has not been kind.
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 83
    Mortgage overpayments:

Emergency savings £100/£2000
    Savercard Christmas savings £10
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb - 29/12/17 155lb
    • xXMessedUpXx
    • By xXMessedUpXx 7th Dec 17, 11:40 PM
    • 17,135 Posts
    • 45,081 Thanks

And we'll done xxmessedupxx, you are really rocking there. Might not have quite sorted the overdraft, but you now know the strategy was wrong and you've put a better plan into action. Sounds like .5 win to me
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Thank you

My main aim for next year is pay off as much as i can. I'm giving the bf money every week to save for me (having bipolar of i had the cash i'd end up spending it! ) and we're going to pay it off in 4 £500 pound chunks. Then i can get saving for a deposit and we can get a place to live! I'm very excited and more motivated than ever!
    "Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
    To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
    busting my debt: £680/£2750
    • MERFE
    • By MERFE 8th Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    Aims for 2017

1 Lose weight, at least 3 stone

2 Run more

3 Declutter, I have alot of craft items I no longer use so I aim to have none left by next Christmas and a nice empty desk.
    Originally posted by MERFE

1 nope, started well but was poorly in April and didn't get back into it. Will attempt again this year but lower target 2 stone loss.

2 Well I did manage this one, went at least a couple of times a week and did a few 5k runs but haven't been at all since beginning of Nov, it's just so cold. I want to carry on with the running next year, maybe increase to 3 times a week.

3 It was a big aim, I guess work and other stuff got in the way. I have less than last year but still boxes full of stuff and my desk is not clear. 2 big car boots in the summer did pay for our little summer holiday (3 nights hotel).
    • Starchaser
    • By Starchaser 8th Dec 17, 10:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Hello everyone,
    So it's been nearly a year since my stated aims (and since I last posted on MSE full stop!).
    Let's see what I said and how I did:

"-lose 2 stone, having eaten terribly over the last 12 months and gotten into the worst shape of my life"
    Partial success here. I started 2017 with an alcohol and chocolate biscuit-free January and I lost over a stone. Sadly since then weight has yo-yo-ed slightly and with the festive season approaching I've started treat-eating in earnest again. Will hopefully not get as heavy as last new year though!

"-finish decorating my house"
    Partial success. Have made progress but still bits to do.

"-get out more generally (I've become a little too reclusive lately)"
    Probably about the same as last year.

"-read more"
    Again, about the same.

"-generally cram more in"
    Nah, can't say I've done too well here!

"Oh - and perhaps I should try a bit harder to meet someone too."
    Nope - still single!

So, some progress in 2017 but still lots to do - could have been worse I suppose! On to 2018
    • gien
    • By gien 8th Dec 17, 11:18 PM
    • 1,583 Posts
    • 15,122 Thanks
    Just spotted this thread again!
    Yes, I managed all of my resolutions.

I got a job in A restaurant but am starting a new job in january as a clerk in my local hospital. My house has been done and we have plans drawn up for thw outhouses.
    Iíve lost about a stone and am quite a lot fitter because `i started running
    Social life has been slow to pick up but I am getting there

Is ther anothe rthread for the next year?
    By December 2017 I want to have:

1. Got some form of regular income - whether it be through getting a job, selling stuff I make or something else but I need to generate some money.

2. Got myself back into shape which means loosing a bit of weight, eating a bit better and doing some more exercise - I'm one of those middle aged people who aren't healthy enough.

3. Finished all the work in our house and at least started on the renovations of the outhouses.

4. Built up more of o social life where `I live whilst keeping in touch with old friends.

I might think of a few more things as time goes by but I can come back and edit this post...
    Originally posted by gien
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Mountain Man
    • By Mountain Man 13th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Mountain Man
    Cracked it
    Some 10 years ago my Resolution was to never make one again. That's the only one I've ever been able to keep!
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 27th Dec 17, 12:48 PM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 15,469 Thanks
    Just popping in to say I will start a new thread tomorrow for 2018 so get your thinking hats on!
    Last edited by belfastgirl23; 27-12-2017 at 1:19 PM.

• belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 31st Dec 17, 9:52 PM
    • 7,689 Posts
    • 15,469 Thanks
    So a little bit late but finally, my own resolutions.

Fitness and health:
    Well I learned that this approach really doesn't work for me. On the off days I drank like a fish and ate like a hog, which wasn't the aim! And tracking felt like a real faff
    • 300 alcohol free days (including 3x30 days) drinking like a fish, this hasn't worked at all
    • 300 days completing myfitnesspal
    • 300 days with some kind of exercise ok for 1st six months, then total fail
    • Walk 2000 miles and where possible do hillwalks managed 1750
    Building connections:
    • Visit my Dad every three weeks Yes, until he died
    • See a friend at least once a month for a coffee yes
    • Join a book club yes
    • Use fitness plans to build new connections where possible yes until I stopped all fitness activities

• Institute focused time first thing in the morning (2hrs) nope
    • Organise team meetings yes
    • Leave on time lololol
    • Continue to manage workload and expectations total fail
    • Don't keep adding and practice saying NO total fail and my main goal for next year. Though in a lot of cases, nobody asked me to do anything, they just presumed I would and I didn't have space to stop and think about it - another learning point
    • Turn off the news and focus on positive news sources (set up a stream for this) nope
    • Read 52 books 53
    • Tidy up before bed mostly yes
    • Create thinking space a bit but I've been actively avoiding thinking lately
    • Be grateful mostly yes
    • Donate mostly no
    • Prioritise nope

• Pay £2k off house loan paid £1.5k and added £1k to savings
    • Pay £600 to my ISA Achieved
    • Stay out of overdraft mostly yes
    • Do a monthly finance review (on 25th of month to help with above) nope but keeping a general eye
    Will probably do a quarterly report back to keep myself on track.

Well done everyone for your commitments and good luck with keeping them!
    Originally posted by belfastgirl23

I wish I was still the same person that wrote this list. 2017 has been a grim and miserable year for me. I lost my father unexpectedly (I was glad I'd been making a point of seeing him regularly though). And work has been horrible too, for most of the year - double jobbing with no thanks. I've spent most of the last 6 months just clinging on, and have lost all motivation for self improvement. I've done a sketchy go through what I've managed to do and haven't managed to do. But the fact that I've kept putting one foot in front of the other feels like an achievement in itself. I don't want to say that 2018 can't be worse because you can always be proved wrong. But I really hope not.

Well done to all of you who achieved your goals, you can be my inspiration for next year.
    Last edited by belfastgirl23; 31-12-2017 at 10:04 PM.

• princess loki
    • By princess loki 5th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,972 Thanks
    princess loki
    Not complete failings but not 100% successful however I am rather happy with my achievements in 2017

Hmmmmm so many things I SHOULD be doing but what do I WANT to do!?!

Want to do and should be possible
    1. Go to the seaside for a week - went on my own for two days
    2. Get front room re-plastered (do need to cut unnecessary spending to achieve this though) - FAIL but only due to finances
    3. Sort out garden fence with neighbour (as above) Fail due to finances
    4. Hopefully do National Trust Volunteer Leader Training - if I am selected Completed training!
    5. Help to run a NT holiday did this as assistant leader
    6. Do my best to keep my mental health stable without taking medication invested in lamp and vitamins, been doing meditation - big improvement on previous years

Now for the ones I need to address but won't definitely succeed at so they should be classed as NY hopes

1. Get fitter and drop a few dress sizes FAIL
    2. Stop using credit card for silly things and aim to halve balance by Sept 2017 Doing much better with this and less debt now
    3. Cut down on alcohol consumption achieved in the main
    4. Join a yoga class or similar AND go regularly did this but teacher left for different town. Have been doing weekly volunteering at Nightshelter instead
    5. Stop buying Chinese when I am depressed! I AM A GOOD COOK! FAIL -
    I still love Chinese but I have been cooking a bit more recently

I might think of some more and add them
    Originally posted by princess loki
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,685Posts Today

8,104Users online

Martin's Twitter