Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kratosthegreat
    • By kratosthegreat 19th Dec 16, 9:06 PM
    • 115Posts
    • 38Thanks
    kratosthegreat
    Private Medical Consultation - additional fees
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:06 PM
    Private Medical Consultation - additional fees 19th Dec 16 at 9:06 PM
    A while back I had a private consultation that was quoted at £200. I had the consultation and had a test done. A few weeks later I was charged around £380 for the test and £70 for prescribed medicine. The £70 charge I was aware of, the £380 was a shock.

Turns out these were just the private hospital charges. I still owe the £200 for the consultation and I'm getting invoice reminders. At no point was the additional price given to me until the invoice came through.

Should I pay the £200 and try to get my £380 by trying to argue consumer rights - hidden charges. Or should I ignore the £200 invoice. I'm moving house shortly. Could this end up in a CCJ that I miss if I just ignore this.

I feel I have been treated unfairly. It wasn't clear that the test wasn't part of the consultation to me and charges were explained at no point but don't want a debt hanging over me.
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Dec 16, 9:19 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,098 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:19 PM
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:19 PM
    If you take a pet to see a vet, you don't expect the consultation fee to cover tests or drugs.

A consultation is seeking someone's opinion and not actual treatment.
    • kratosthegreat
    • By kratosthegreat 19th Dec 16, 9:30 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    kratosthegreat
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:30 PM
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:30 PM
    I didn't take a pet to see a vet. I didn't receive treatment. I didn't receive costs of the test any time before receiving it, I didn't agree to the cost at any point and it was not clear that a test is not part of the consultation. Consumer rights act protects strongly against hidden charges and I have won consumer rights cases before. I've researched it a lot, and I know there is a strong case here. I HAVE to receive and accept the £380 quote.
    • kratosthegreat
    • By kratosthegreat 19th Dec 16, 9:34 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    kratosthegreat
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:34 PM
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:34 PM
    If you take a pet to see a vet, you don't expect the consultation fee to cover tests or drugs.

A consultation is seeking someone's opinion and not actual treatment.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Also I've never had a pet so I wouldn't know. See how that statement suddenly becomes invalid? That is true by the way. But it's also completely irrelevant. I was involved in a consumer rights case were the business tried comparing something to purchasing a holiday. Completely different scenario, as is this, and they lost the case.

And I never expected £200 to include cost of drugs. I paid for and accepted the prescriptions costs after receiving the price for them. You need to read my post more carefully, attention to detail is key.
    Last edited by kratosthegreat; 19-12-2016 at 9:37 PM.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 19th Dec 16, 9:36 PM
    • 12,263 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:36 PM
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:36 PM
    Could this end up in a CCJ that I miss if I just ignore this.
    Originally posted by kratosthegreat
    Yes.

Don't ignore it, let them know if you are struggling financially but don't ignore it.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 19th Dec 16, 9:40 PM
    • 15,424 Posts
    • 38,737 Thanks
    elsien
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:40 PM
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:40 PM
    I would expect to pay extra for tests, but I would also expect any additional costs to be discussed beforehand or at the time.
    How was the appt arranged and were you sent any written information e.g. Insurance terms and conditions?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 19th Dec 16, 9:44 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    indiepanda
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:44 PM
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:44 PM
    Did the consultant do the test as part of the consultation or were you sent to another person for the tests?
    • kratosthegreat
    • By kratosthegreat 19th Dec 16, 9:47 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    kratosthegreat
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:47 PM
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:47 PM
    I would expect to pay extra for tests, but I would also expect any additional costs to be discussed beforehand or at the time.
    How was the appt arranged and were you sent any written information e.g. Insurance terms and conditions?
    Originally posted by elsien
    It was arranged through the PA of the consultant who completely failed to mention any costs of any of the tests. The hospital it took place at did ring and mention that there were potentially additional costs for tests but gave no prices.

I had the consultation, the consultant did the test, didn't tell me there would be a charge for this or what the charge was (to me it was just like a doctor getting a stethoscope out. I genuinely thought it was part of the consultation.) It wasn't through Private insurance I just funded myself for a speedy appointment.
    • kratosthegreat
    • By kratosthegreat 19th Dec 16, 9:49 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    kratosthegreat
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:49 PM
    • 19th Dec 16, 9:49 PM
    Did the consultant do the test as part of the consultation or were you sent to another person for the tests?
    Originally posted by indiepanda
    He did the test during the consultation, the test to me was pretty much the consultation.
    • Cloudydaze
    • By Cloudydaze 19th Dec 16, 9:49 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    Cloudydaze
    Originally posted by elsien
    I would have thought that the majority of people who go for a private medical consultation are covered their insurance. Whenever I've been, costs for tests or follow up consultations were never discussed.
    • kratosthegreat
    • By kratosthegreat 19th Dec 16, 10:09 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    kratosthegreat
    I would have thought that the majority of people who go for a private medical consultation are covered their insurance. Whenever I've been, costs for tests or follow up consultations were never discussed.
    Originally posted by Cloudydaze
    It varies on every insurance policy. However this wasn't funded by insurance, it was a self-funded consultation.
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 19th Dec 16, 10:36 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    indiepanda
    He did the test during the consultation, the test to me was pretty much the consultation.
    Possible you might have a case then - all tests I have had as a private patient I have been referred to a different department to have the test then had another consultation with the consultant to discuss the results. It's fairly obvious if you are sent elsewhere to see someone else to have a test that there will be a separate fee, but less so if the consultant does it within the consultation and doesn't mention there is an extra cost.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 19th Dec 16, 11:19 PM
    • 36,207 Posts
    • 153,058 Thanks
    silvercar
    It was arranged through the PA of the consultant who completely failed to mention any costs of any of the tests. The hospital it took place at did ring and mention that there were potentially additional costs for tests but gave no prices.

I had the consultation, the consultant did the test, didn't tell me there would be a charge for this or what the charge was (to me it was just like a doctor getting a stethoscope out. I genuinely thought it was part of the consultation.) It wasn't through Private insurance I just funded myself for a speedy appointment.
    Whenever I have been to a private hospital, for tests, consultation or treatment, I have needed to handover my credit card in advance to cover anything that my insurance doesn't cover.

Quite common to get a letter from accounts afterwards saying the insurance excess and anything not covered will be charged to my credit card.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 20th Dec 16, 5:34 PM
    • 3,990 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    sheramber
    The charge for the test will be a hospital charge for the equipment used to carry out the test.

The consultation fee is only that - a fee for the consultant's time and his expertise to give you advice.

You say you were told there may be additional costs. Did you not ask what these may be?
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 16th Apr 17, 7:41 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    A while back I had a private consultation that was quoted at £200. I had the consultation and had a test done. A few weeks later I was charged around £380 for the test and £70 for prescribed medicine. The £70 charge I was aware of, the £380 was a shock.

Turns out these were just the private hospital charges. I still owe the £200 for the consultation and I'm getting invoice reminders. At no point was the additional price given to me until the invoice came through.

Should I pay the £200 and try to get my £380 by trying to argue consumer rights - hidden charges. Or should I ignore the £200 invoice. I'm moving house shortly. Could this end up in a CCJ that I miss if I just ignore this.

I feel I have been treated unfairly. It wasn't clear that the test wasn't part of the consultation to me and charges were explained at no point but don't want a debt hanging over me.
    You paid for a private consultation. That's to see the doctor.
    Treatment is extra.
    Who did you think would pay for the treatment?

Pay it. You took the queue jump, you had the treatment as a result. Now pay up.
    • krlyr
    • By krlyr 17th Apr 17, 10:43 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 11,999 Thanks
    krlyr
    Attention to detail is key...why, having been told there are potential additional costs for tests, did you not then ask what this test would potentially be costing you?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Apr 17, 5:05 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,098 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Attention to detail is key...why, having been told there are potential additional costs for tests, did you not then ask what this test would potentially be costing you?
    Originally posted by krlyr

Just like the OP told me when I compared a human medical consultation to a very similar situation of a vet visit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

454Posts Today

2,366Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin