Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • branwen111
    • By branwen111 18th Dec 16, 9:01 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    branwen111
    Struggling for funds for a charity I run
    • 18th Dec 16, 9:01 PM
    Struggling for funds for a charity I run 18th Dec 16 at 9:01 PM
    Hi!

I run a charity called Airway Stenosis patients' association (ASPA), but finding it hard to raise money as tracheal Stenosis is such a rare disease.

So far we've donated an ice machine for over £3000 to a hospital in London.

I'm currently writing to airlines for support, as the charity links in with airways. 🙈

Should I keep writing to companies, in the hope that a company will eventually support our small charity?

Our main goal is to purchase a respite home for patients.

Many thanks

Gwen
Page 1
    • asajj
    • By asajj 18th Dec 16, 10:02 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 10,175 Thanks
    asajj
    • 18th Dec 16, 10:02 PM
    • 18th Dec 16, 10:02 PM
    What other ways you are using to raise funds? You can try to be part of corporate social responsibility programmes that big companies run. Which part of country you live in?
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 18th Dec 16, 11:46 PM
    • 37,669 Posts
    • 33,983 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 18th Dec 16, 11:46 PM
    • 18th Dec 16, 11:46 PM
    Google volunteer plus your area to find your local voluntary services council. See if they can offer assistance with fundraising from grants and trusts: ours has access to an online database which charities and voluntary groups can book time to use. There will be some grants which will help with purchase of property, others which might help with furnishing / refurbishing / adapting etc. But at an early stage you'll need a plan: how much you might need to pay, what costs to set up might be. Then there's running it, ongoing costs can be more difficult to find.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • Bogalot
    • By Bogalot 19th Dec 16, 10:26 AM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    Bogalot
    • 19th Dec 16, 10:26 AM
    • 19th Dec 16, 10:26 AM
    Organisations/ sponsors will look at what you are doing to help yourselves, they'll look for you to be actively fundraising (not just asking people for money). They'll usually require you to be a registered charity too, they need this for their own tax purposes.

I would recommend setting your sights a little lower at first, the home can still be a longer term aim, but building up a record of events and achievements will make you more attractive to prospective sponsors.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 27th Feb 17, 6:43 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 27th Feb 17, 6:43 PM
    • 27th Feb 17, 6:43 PM
    Have you contacted supermarkets that do in store token collections?
    Waitrose and john lewis etc. I have so far received £1700 by doing this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

2,228Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin