Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Meradowlark
    • By Meradowlark 14th Dec 16, 10:30 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Meradowlark
    Sky have "tagged" my landline number and won't let TT use it
    • 14th Dec 16, 10:30 PM
    Sky have "tagged" my landline number and won't let TT use it 14th Dec 16 at 10:30 PM
    I just tried switching my phone/broadband from Sky to TT, but Sky have seized the number and won't release it. TT tell me that I must get a new number, even though I've had this one for nearly 40 years! Both companies blaming each other, Sky denying that it has been blocked, TT telling me it has.
    Surely they cannot do this? My contract with Sky is yet to end and I'm still using the number, but Sky won't let me take it when/if I do jump ship.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Dec 16, 9:24 AM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 15th Dec 16, 9:24 AM
    • 15th Dec 16, 9:24 AM
    If you cancel it down with Sky rather than letting Talktalk transfer it for you that's what happens. This applies to all suppliers btw as I believe it's how the system works. If you're more than 31 days from cancellation you could stop the cancellation going through and then get TT to handle it for you perhaps.
    • LazyTyper
    • By LazyTyper 17th Dec 16, 11:56 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    LazyTyper
    • 17th Dec 16, 11:56 AM
    • 17th Dec 16, 11:56 AM
    I don't know what is meant by "Sky have seized the number" but if they are currently providing service to you with the number in question then they will allow it to port.

From what you have described it appears TalkTalk are speaking rubbish. They just need to issue the port request, as per their business as usual process.

Have you spoken with a manager at TalkTalk, or at least someone with a clue?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Dec 16, 8:54 PM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 5,096 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 17th Dec 16, 8:54 PM
    • 17th Dec 16, 8:54 PM
    From posts 2 and 3, it's occurred to me that they have ceased (not seized) the number and this happens if you cancel with your current provider instead of requesting the new one to take over.There is usually a charge for cease, too.
    • Meradowlark
    • By Meradowlark 9th Aug 17, 12:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Meradowlark
    • 9th Aug 17, 12:07 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 12:07 PM
    Taken me a long time to get back to this. Sky would not let another provider use my phone number. That's what I meant by "seized." I was going to switch to TT, but they told me I had to get a new number so I ditched that idea.
    I spoke to both TT and Sky at length and they both blamed each other an neither was willing to budge or to help.
    Eventually I went to Origin and they had no trouble using my existing number.
    I know the difference between "ceased" and "seized!" This was my phrasing, not what I heard.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 9th Aug 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 9th Aug 17, 12:17 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 12:17 PM
    Taken me a long time to get back to this. Sky would not let another provider use my phone number. That's what I meant by "seized." I was going to switch to TT, but they told me I had to get a new number so I ditched that idea.
    I spoke to both TT and Sky at length and they both blamed each other an neither was willing to budge or to help.
    Eventually I went to Origin and they had no trouble using my existing number.
    I know the difference between "ceased" and "seized!" This was my phrasing, not what I heard.
    Originally posted by Meradowlark
    Taken a long time to get back to this , at 8 months a bit of an understatement
    The fact that you got what you wanted and ported to Origin, pretty much shows the problem was with TT and not Sky, after all the process used between Origin and Sky would have been exactly the same process TT could have used, the rules don't allow Sky to cherry pick providers they will play ball with and those they won't, and given that you say you had the number for decades the number must be a 'BT' number range number anyway ,sounds like for whatever reason TT were using the wrong process to port, or were trying to get you to accept a TT number for their own reasons
    Last edited by iniltous; 09-08-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    • AntonyStark
    • By AntonyStark 7th Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AntonyStark
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:53 PM
    I decided to switch telecoms provider for my landline. Like Meradowlark, I too am suffering in suspense, my situation is not about Sky but it is about tagging. Our house has had our landline number over 30 years, we moved from BT to TalkTalk and kept the number. I rang PO Telecoms re switching to them and they offered a cheaper deal but their confirmation letter has quoted a different landline number. I rang immediately to say this is a deal-breaker - that if I can't keep my existing number I don't want to change provider. Incredibly PO cannot tell me for sure, they say it is to do with differing technologies and ownership of numbers, and they don't seem able to tell me in advance. I rang PO again today, spoke to another person but got the same message. PO says I won't know until the day the switch happens, but fingers crossed! When I rang TalkTalk they said they do not prevent their customers from taking their existing numbers with them. Neither company used the words ‘tagging’ or ‘porting’ but that is what I want to do. PO seems to be saying it will try to port but can’t guarantee that it will succeed. Why not? It is difficult for me to gauge whether this is a widespread problem or not. I bet there IS a way for the 2 companies to confirm with each other IN ADVANCE whether or not a number can be ported. They just are not trying hard enough. I rang Ofcom who said it is up to each provider whether to offer a porting service or not. PO are saying yes they do but it might not work. Martin should highlight this potential problem in his money saving tips.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 8th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,419 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:28 PM
    I decided to switch telecoms provider for my landline. Like Meradowlark, I too am suffering in suspense, my situation is not about Sky but it is about tagging. Our house has had our landline number over 30 years, we moved from BT to TalkTalk and kept the number. I rang PO Telecoms re switching to them and they offered a cheaper deal but their confirmation letter has quoted a different landline number. I rang immediately to say this is a deal-breaker - that if I can't keep my existing number I don't want to change provider. Incredibly PO cannot tell me for sure, they say it is to do with differing technologies and ownership of numbers, and they don't seem able to tell me in advance. I rang PO again today, spoke to another person but got the same message. PO says I won't know until the day the switch happens, but fingers crossed! When I rang TalkTalk they said they do not prevent their customers from taking their existing numbers with them. Neither company used the words ‘tagging’ or ‘porting’ but that is what I want to do. PO seems to be saying it will try to port but can’t guarantee that it will succeed. Why not? It is difficult for me to gauge whether this is a widespread problem or not. I bet there IS a way for the 2 companies to confirm with each other IN ADVANCE whether or not a number can be ported. They just are not trying hard enough. I rang Ofcom who said it is up to each provider whether to offer a porting service or not. PO are saying yes they do but it might not work. Martin should highlight this potential problem in his money saving tips.
    Originally posted by AntonyStark
    If you have had the number for 30 odd years then the number is originally from BT's number range , so you want to port a number from TT to the Post Office that is already ported from BT to TT, the PO are not saying they cannot get you the number you want , they just don't guarantee it ( in case things go wrong) ultimately it's your choice, take a chance with the PO , pick a provider other than PO or stay with TT,
    BT could probably guarantee to get the number , then port to the PO, but you would have to see out a minimum term with BT before switching to the PO , or pay BT an ETC, but that may not make financial sense

Ironically , AFAIK , the Post Office use TT network to provide service
    Last edited by iniltous; 08-12-2017 at 6:31 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,558Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin