Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 13th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 169Posts
    • 885Thanks
    JWPopps
    Flush by 30?
    • 13th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Flush by 30? 13th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello!

I'm fairly new to MSE and have become totally obsessed with reading everyone else's diaries, so I thought I'd do one of my own! Even if no one else ever reads it, I'm hoping it will be somewhere I can rant my rants and think my thoughts without a) boring my friends and family and b) embarrassing myself in front of friends and family!

I'm 26 (27 in March) and have had a bit of a slog to get to where I am today which I will likely go into later... basically, money has always been something other people have. So, while my debts might not seem huge, making the payments every month is stopping me from really appreciating how far I've come and how nice it is to be earning a relatively good wage.

The above paragraph sounds a bit up myself, actually. Oh well!

Debts:
    Barclaycard: £1465.49 (19%)
    Sainsburys card: £75 (0%)
    Barclayloan: £6,673.36 (4.9%)
    Overdraft: £485.09 (I get charges as well but not sure of the %)
    Mortgage: £88,163.97 (34 years left on it, at 3.99%)

I'm not stressing about getting my mortgage paid off at the moment; it would be nice to be debt free and have a nice emergency fund, and maybe even a fun fund, and to be making mortgage overpayments.

Total debt I'm worried about then: £8,698.94

Goals for 2017:
    Pay off Barclaycard and close
    Get Sainsbury's card to 0 every month (i.e. use only for groceries)
    Pay off overdraft
    Get loan down to £3,500
    Start an Emergency Fund
    Start a Fun Fund
    Start making mortgage OPs
    Chill the heck out about my finances for the first time in 11 years!!
Page 8
    • jvr
    • By jvr 19th Apr 17, 3:49 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    jvr
    The other way to look at it is that anything you are able to do as a host is more than they would have without you. It has to fit in with your own goals and life as well or you will become unhappy and burnt out and then not able to do it anymore. I think you should be hugely proud of how much you do and not put pressure on yourself to do too much just because they are short of places. You never know, by demonstrating that you can make it fit around you, you might inspire someone else to do it....
    Credit cards: £6000 now £4650 aim to be debt free (ignoring mortgage and student loans) by Dec 2017
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 19th Apr 17, 7:05 PM
    • 10,344 Posts
    • 66,343 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Wow JWPopps I'm another that is thinking you are amazing! I think you must have way more compassion than the average person!

In terms of practical advice, I was thinking of the newborn, and just thinking what can I say to help? I can't imagine what it must be like to have a baby and not come home to your partner's help. From my own situation only I can say that the coping will come down to things like how difficult the birth is, if she has to have a c section, she will need more help initially, as it's a major op. Most people I know that had them took a lot longer than me to be up and about, and doing things.
    Feeding will be another big part to it. If she can breastfeed that will be a different set up at night than if the baby needs bottles.
    The rest comes down to what kind of baby it is, some are very easy going and some might get colic etc.
    I'd be willing to guess that the first three to four months she will need help overnight. Is there anything in place for support other than you during that time? I am worried that you will be tired out and have your day job to do as well.
    I'm not trying to be negative, I just think taking on a newborn is hard for anyone.

I really do think you are amazing.
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 24th Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Phew!
    Hello everyone

Weekly update time!

My expenses to pay off my credit card are rolling in slowly - and it occurs to me that I've hit one of the first targets I set myself, which was to have an active credit card that then gets paid off every month. I'm managing that! It's happening!

I'm still in Manic Month - the charity are being slow about letting me know when my lodger is moving in, and I'm away for this work thing from Thursday-Thursday so it's not really an ideal time. But hey, that's all fine - we'll get there in the end.

It's been an expensive start to my financial month (I get paid on the 21st of the month) as I had to buy 2 new bras... I'd been wearing a rotation of about 4 for 2 years and two of them tried to stab me in the heart last week. So, £60 down but at least I know I haven't changed sizing at all, so I can't have piled on as much weight as I thought!

Hope everyone else is doing well
    CC 1 £0.00 / CC 2 £0.00 /
    Overdraft £0 / Loan £7,500
    Savings: £240/£1000

PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 33% paid 2715/8280
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 24th Apr 17, 10:35 PM
    • 10,344 Posts
    • 66,343 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I shouldn't laugh at your heart stabbing bras, but, I did
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,186Posts Today

6,182Users online

Martin's Twitter