Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 13th Dec 16, 8:27 AM
    • 865Posts
    • 4,228Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    A new chapter
    • 13th Dec 16, 8:27 AM
    A new chapter 13th Dec 16 at 8:27 AM
    So i was long time member and used to frequent the boards quite regularly however my circumstances have changed quite drastically.

I have now split from the OH and whilst I was very close to being MF I now find myself with an additional amount of debt in having had to buy her out.

I'll post a current SoA shortly but pretty much the overall debt stands at around £300k.

I have a fairly ambitious plan to pay off this debt within 5-6 years and still aim to be MF by the time I hit 40. Being single I am hoping will allow me the freedom to be money savvy where previously the ex liked to spend.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    Make £2017 in 2017 challenge - £821.76 #10
Page 6
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 16th Feb 17, 5:50 PM
    • 5,487 Posts
    • 37,462 Thanks
    newgirly
    Fantastic eBay sales this year well done, glad to to hear you are out and about dating too!
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £6,135 paid so far

Mortgage £53,630 5 yrs 2 months left. Total owed £74,251 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 2017 28lb target /0
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 20th Feb 17, 10:38 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Sold a few more bits on ebay up to £189.62 from eBay alone now.

Few other bits still listed so should get a few more pounds next few days and then I think I am about done until I do a car boot.

Had weekend with the kids and went to a local hall, had a lovely time and the kids really enjoyed being outside. DD2 was upset and didn't want to leave me..... but I am going to get this.

Had some family over and realised the annex gas has run out so had to buy refills today so that's £200 more spent, coming weekend I am away for the night with the girl i've been seeing, so I can't really see to many NSD coming up.... other than fuel I haven't had a great deal of things to spend on.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 21st Feb 17, 10:06 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Morning all,

Truck is finally fixed so I am another £350 lighter..... that better be the last thing for a while to go wrong with it.

Couple more bits of eBay sales to post today and I need to assemble some bits tonight and do a few house jobs. Need to fix DD wardrobe which she broke, hang up some picture frames from the "GF", need to assemble a BBQ and also have my best buddy coming around later for a catch-up. Not sure I'll have time to do it all mind but I seem to have very few free nights/weekends now to do any jobs.

I am away for the coming weekend for a nice overnight trip to York, looking forward to the time away in truth.

Tea for tonight is going to be chicken with mozzarella toasted sarnies. I am finding that mostly after the kids have been I am having to have left overs for the next couple of days.

I really must also start making an effort to get back into the gym and do some running for this upcoming 10K. But I am busy tonight, out at cinema Wednesday, haircut and seeing mates thursday, free Friday and out again saturday.....
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • sarahevie1
    • By sarahevie1 21st Feb 17, 1:33 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    sarahevie1
    It's good to be busy, better to be happy than miserable. I'm well and truly off the diet bandwagon myself must get back on it. I blame the alcohol and meals Out!

Sorry to hear abut dd2 it'll get easier I'm sure. You will have a lovely time in York, I went last weekend love It! Can completely understand the need to get away committing to more weekends away this year is certainly helping the happiness level gives me something to look forward to.
    Mortgage 1 - £44000 Value £283000 (Mortgage val survey Sept 15.) 24 years 3 monthsOPs 71670Without OPs balance 119000
    Mortgage 2 - £109000 Value £185000 (Purchase price 2007.) 15 years 11 months
    Original Mortgage debt £300,000 - Now £150000
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 22nd Feb 17, 8:55 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    I am having plenty of meals out of late..... got another takeway tonight round at a friends house and with the gf.

Yeah it will get easier I am sure too, at least it shows the kids are having a great time when they are with me which is all I can ask for.

Weekend away, then the kids and the weekend after I have tickets for cirque du soleil which should be awesome.

No idea still when I am going to be able to for the first OP of the year though....
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 27th Feb 17, 8:43 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Morning all,

Sold a few more items on eBay, which brings my ebay total to £227.88.

Spent the weekend at Harrogate in the end, had a really nice time although it was rather windy!

Got a few jobs which I have to get done this week as I have been rather slack around the house, namely:
    - Tidy my shed because its a nightmare finding anything
    - Hang the photo frames
    - Finish building my bbq

Weekend coming up I have the kids, DD has a part on the Sunday so I plan on taking them to a museum on the Saturday and a walk around a nature park on the Sunday after the party.
    Last edited by lincoln-potter; 27-02-2017 at 9:29 AM.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 6th Mar 17, 1:04 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Afternoon all,

Had a busy "long" weekend, had Friday off with DD we made cupcakes and did some colouring. Saturday was disrupted as DD had a birthday party to attend so that stopped my plans of going to a local park and museum, it also happened to be the only nice day we had so Sunday was stuck inside mostly. I did have a somewhat last minute birthday party for DD as it appears she didn't get one on her birthday by the ex.

Job wise I finished the BBQ and I have hung some but not all of the photo frames, instead I am going to start decorating the rooms so that there is a difinative "my house" feel rather than it being the ex's choices always.

Tonight I am hitting the gym for an hour, digging out an eBay sale and putting on a stew with some beef that I defrosted and meant to use up yesterday.

Spend wise, had fuel and also ordered some items off eBay for craft birthday and mothers day presents. They will either look nice and be appreciated for the effort or they'll look like a dogs dinner.... hopefully the former!
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 9th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Still haven't managed a NSD in I don't know how long.

The caravan battery decided to give up so I've had to buy a new one £80 or else the motor mover won't work and it'll be stuck forever. Also replaced the shower head in my bathroom as the other was all flaky. I have however been getting the bits off ebay and getting 1% cashback by topcashback, nectar points and putting the spend onto my 0% card so not all bad.

Off to see cirque du soliel tomorrow night and I cannot wait!!! then Saturday off with the gf for a walk in Matlock baths as she's never been there before.

I have decided that I need to start redecorating the house, when the ex comes around she has been lingering and I think doing the hall first would be best as it shows that its no longer her house it is now only mine and I am now putting my mark on the place.

What else has been happening? Erm I am having the kids over for tea tonight, but it'll only be a snack tea because by the time I get home from work, pick them up I only have a small time window to cook something and get them back to the ex's before their bedtime.

Luckily I have the 0% card because my spends have been more than my income these first few months and financially I am finding it tough, looking forward to next pay day as there is £300 more a month I won't have to pay the ex and that money is the difference between me breaking even and going over.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 9th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Oh forgot to say still no chance at the minute of any mortgage overpayments and matched betting for now I have put on the backburner, when I get time again as I am either seeing mates, the gf or have the kids so time is limited but once I start I will use oddsmonkey to really give it a good god.

Hoping in another month or two to be able to start doing OP again even if only £50 so I can tell myself mentally I have started.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 9th Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Another eBay sale £13.70 brings eBay to £286.39 so far this year. That is however pretty much everything sold on eBay apart from one larger ticket item which i need to clean and assemble.

All thats left are smaller items which I need to collate and get ready for a car boot this summer.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 13th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Had an amazing weekend, the show on Friday was fantastic, really amazing. The time just seemed to fly by and it was just so well choreographed. Saturday too was equally as good had a nice trip out with the gf and then later that night out with the lads to celebrate a birthday. Sunday was not very productive at all as I over indulged the night before!

I did however manage to replace my caravan battery so I got one job done at least.

Tonight I need to go to Mr S for some fuel and some food bits ready for the kids this coming weekend.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 14th Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Okay done a few bits this morning which are in my "next step" list of bank switching. My mule current account now has 3 active DD (should all complete next day or two) and I am then ready to start the first switch to M&S bank for £50 reward and a further £5 a month plus it gives me access to a 5% 12 month savings account which will yield £81 in interest.

Once I have applied and been accepted for this my next step is to create some more active but nil value direct debits, ie store cards. my credit rating is good enough that it will cope and I need another 3 direct debits really in order to start two more current account switches this time with first direct and nationwide.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • FacelessNumber
    • By FacelessNumber 14th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    FacelessNumber
    When I opened a Nationwide account I didn't actually need any direct debits to get the rewards, just needed to pay in £1k a month - this might have changed but worth checking!

• lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 15th Mar 17, 8:28 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    When I opened a Nationwide account I didn't actually need any direct debits to get the rewards, just needed to pay in £1k a month - this might have changed but worth checking!
    Originally posted by FacelessNumber
    I was looking at the criteria last night and a few say "paying direct debits", now I am trying to see if that means pay every month or just ones that are active like the DVLA car tax which is annually. If it means they must pay out each month then its going to be tricky to get so many direct debits that are being used. Even if I sign up for low cost charities the cost is likely to be more than the rewards for saying with the current accounts long term.

I've emailed a couple of the banks for clarity.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 15th Mar 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    poddle911
    Hello, I think a lot of people use direct debits to savings accounts - I just opened up a few online instant access savers and set up some small DDs to fulfil the criteria. Charity donations are also good, but this is MSE
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 15th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Hello, I think a lot of people use direct debits to savings accounts - I just opened up a few online instant access savers and set up some small DDs to fulfil the criteria. Charity donations are also good, but this is MSE
    Originally posted by poddle911
    standing orders from one current account to another don't count though.

For my "master plan" i am going to need 14 direct debits and I am hoping that ones which are "active" (Direct debit website classes that as used once or more within the last 13 months). So I would achieve this with credit card and store cards which are used once and then not touched again other than to keep them "active", if however the banks small print of "paying direct debit" means its a monthly payment thats needed then I will need to adjust my plans.
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 15th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    Managed to accumulate £25 of nectar points so far past two months, £21.50 in TESCO points and £37.14 via topcashback (some weeks form payment mind).

Receipt hog is a little slower going with only 483 coins but it'll get there eventually.

Got the LO's again tomorrow and luckily the weather forecast has changed from rain to just cloudy this weekend so I'll take them to a museum on the Saturday and a walk around a nature park on the Sunday unless it changes again.

Couple jobs I need to get done this weekend really, ideally paint DD1 ceiling and also clean out the caravan.

GF coming over tonight and its salmon and salad for tea, followed by lemon cheesecake!
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 15th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    poddle911
    I was talking about direct debits, not standing orders. (Eg. I have 3 Tesco online savers and have a direct debit set up on each which satisfies my current account criteria.) But it sounds like you've got a plan and are keeping busy!

Good luck with everything
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Mar 17, 5:58 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 3,735 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I have DDs going to Tesco online savings accounts as well, meets the criteria and I get to keep the money as its in my savings accounts
    • lincoln-potter
    • By lincoln-potter 16th Mar 17, 8:19 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 4,228 Thanks
    lincoln-potter
    I have DDs going to Tesco online savings accounts as well, meets the criteria and I get to keep the money as its in my savings accounts
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Ah direct debits for a savings account and not a current account, yeah I hadn't even considered that!
    MFiT-T #82 £85k -> £38k
    MFW #32 £8,200/£500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,600Users online

Martin's Twitter