Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misterzim
    • By misterzim 13th Dec 16, 8:53 AM
    • 53Posts
    • 84Thanks
    misterzim
    Another year on and the company tradition is still alive!
    • 13th Dec 16, 8:53 AM
    Another year on and the company tradition is still alive! 13th Dec 16 at 8:53 AM
    So, another Christmas is arriving and my company tradition of contributing money towards gifts for our Directors is still going strong!!

Here is the email that went round the company yesterday:

Dear All

As we near Christmas and hopefully begin to feel full of Festive Cheer, I thought it may be appropriate to let you all know that, following with (company name removed) tradition, we will again be having a Christmas Collection for our company Directors

Each year staff kindly donate towards a gift to be given to each director, by way of a “thank you” for having steered the company forward and ensuring we continue to grow the business. We hope to be able to present the gifts to the Directors at the end of the Christmas Raffle on Wednesday 21 December

(Name removed) or myself will be “doing the rounds” during this week, for all those who would like to make a donation to the collection – or feel free to come and see us at our desks!

Thank you in advance for your generosity and please may I ask that you let others know who may not have access to emails

Kind regards

So there you have it, utter tripe, especially as the company haven't progressed in the last year, or last 2 years for that matter!!

If any company Directors out there have an opinion on this I'd love to hear it (and from others too!).

I will not be donating my money.

Page 3
    • misterzim
    • By misterzim 15th Dec 16, 5:01 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    misterzim
    The raffle money goes to charity.

I did say the bonus is not to be sniffed at but also said this is all down to the MDs wife, not the Directors.

The Directors receive the same share of the Xmas bonus as everyone else so no, they don't deserve £10 back from me or anyone else. It causes such unrest amongst staff each year yet it still goes ahead and the Directors don't decline the gifts either.

They pay me a yearly salary to perform the work that earns them their money so the money as a gift to say thank you is just ridiculous!
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 15th Dec 16, 5:07 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    In all honesty what I would do is this:

1. Create a new email account that can't be connected to you e.g. a gmail account.
    2. Send the MD's wife a link to this thread from the anonymous gmail account (don't send it from the office computer obviously).
    3. Sit back and wait for a climb down from the MD's wife

Anyone else agree with this idea? If the MD's wife is as thick skinned as she clearly is it will take a large weight of opinion from outsiders to make her realize that soliciting gifts for higher ups is in very poor taste.
    Originally posted by breaking_free
    Not being rude but thats just stupid. The MD's wife wouldnt care less about you not agreeing, she will have one sole desire and that will be to find the person who made the thread.

If something happens at YOUR place of work that you dont like and you vent on the forums, I DARE YOU to make an anonymous email account and forward it to your boss or manager. Have you ever done if before? I advise you dont tbh.

I guarantee you'll come to see the stupidity in doing what you suggested. But I agree, its easy to say when you bear no consequence.
    Last edited by xapprenticex; 15-12-2016 at 5:09 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 15th Dec 16, 6:38 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I tend to agree but would it not be fun? I don't suppose there is anyone who intends to leave, anyway, (ideally, and emigrate) misterzim? If so, do you think they might oblige?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Dec 16, 7:05 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,485 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Not being rude but thats just stupid. The MD's wife wouldnt care less about you not agreeing, she will have one sole desire and that will be to find the person who made the thread.

If something happens at YOUR place of work that you dont like and you vent on the forums, I DARE YOU to make an anonymous email account and forward it to your boss or manager. Have you ever done if before? I advise you dont tbh.

I guarantee you'll come to see the stupidity in doing what you suggested. But I agree, its easy to say when you bear no consequence.
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    I don't think there's much risk, but if the OP thinks there is then they can PM me the MD's wife's email address and I'll send the email, then there's no link between the OP and me and the wife can't do anything to harm me.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Dec 16, 7:07 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,485 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Unless it is his idea...
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    The OP says (post #27)

"The Directors, as far as I'm aware, don't ask for a gift"
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 15th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Timpu
    The OP says (post #27)

Originally posted by agrinnall
    If it's become a 'tradition' then it would appear the Directors accept the gifts, to me this means they are complicit.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 15th Dec 16, 9:39 PM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    robatwork
    The OP says (post #27)

Originally posted by agrinnall
    They are obviously well aware and could easily stop this if they thought it was a bad idea.

Doesn't say much for their stewardship of this company.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Dec 16, 8:31 AM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,485 Thanks
    agrinnall
    If it's become a 'tradition' then it would appear the Directors accept the gifts, to me this means they are complicit.
    Originally posted by Timpu
    They are obviously well aware and could easily stop this if they thought it was a bad idea.

Doesn't say much for their stewardship of this company.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    I'd agree that they are aware that the "gifts" are given, but they may not be aware of the circumstances in which the money to pay for them is collected (although I'd agree with Rob's conclusion either way).
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 16th Dec 16, 11:28 AM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Well if all the staff got a £700 Xmas bonus then chucking £5 in is not that bad in the great scheme of things.

I still think it's wrong that the MD wife thinks it is only because of the Directors that the company has been "successful" this year. Everywhere I worked they always say they success is down to the staff and without the staff the company wouldn't be a success etc.
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 16th Dec 16, 6:47 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    As the MD's wife obviously has the skin of a rhinoceros and very little empathy with the workforce, I would suggest that when she appears at your desk with her envelope in her hot little hand, you simply say that as it's voluntary you don't do contributions to Directors' gifts at Christmas and follow it up with a "Bah humbug".
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • Cirias
    • By Cirias 22nd Dec 16, 1:38 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Cirias
    At my current company everyone gets a 10% bonus (up to 12% if you perform well), Christmas hamper and a Christmas meal (one at work and another outside of work). Plus the Managing Director personally buys a load of stollen and has a box given to every single department in both offices with a note from her.

It's like night and day reading about your experiences! I agree with you OP - refuse to contribute but soften the blow by saying you donate to charity instead, how could they criticise you?
    Last edited by Cirias; 22-12-2016 at 1:45 PM.
    • misterzim
    • By misterzim 6th Dec 17, 12:20 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    misterzim
    It's 2017 and they're still at it!!
    Hey folks, another year on and another email asking for donations to the Directors Christmas Gift Fund!!!

This was complained about by quite a lot of staff members last Christmas but here it is again - the MD's wife leading the charge yet again!!!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 6th Dec 17, 12:32 PM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Just ignore it.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 6th Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    • 30,847 Posts
    • 18,451 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Each year staff kindly donate towards a gift to be given to each director, by way of a “thank you” for having steered the company forward and ensuring we continue to grow the business.
    have a look at the accounts.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 6th Dec 17, 2:56 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    This hilarious in a bizarrely tragic sort of way. Out of interest do you get to find out the total contribution? Just wondering how many are bullied/shamed into 'donating' into this shameful fund :/
    • Rofo87
    • By Rofo87 6th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rofo87
    This is just wrong, all of it. I hope you looked up their makings in the past year and see if they made more money by "steering the company forward". Why should you get gifts from your employees for doing what you're meant to be doing!

I don't understand the mentality of some people!
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 4,194 Posts
    • 6,920 Thanks
    sangie595
    So why are you still complaining on here? Either tell them to take a hike, get another job, or accept this is life. Posting the whinge on here every year isn't moving the issue forward in any way. If nobody was giving money, they wouldn't be collecting it.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 6th Dec 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    So why are you still complaining on here? Either tell them to take a hike, get another job, or accept this is life. Posting the whinge on here every year isn't moving the issue forward in any way. If nobody was giving money, they wouldn't be collecting it.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    Its funny though, just what i need after a days work.
    • misterzim
    • By misterzim 6th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    misterzim
    It's more of a tongue-in-cheek addition to last years post to be honest! I just laugh at it now and so does the rest of my office but I thought you might find it as ridiculously stupid as I do!!!
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 6th Dec 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    It's more of a tongue-in-cheek addition to last years post to be honest! I just laugh at it now and so does the rest of my office but I thought you might find it as ridiculously stupid as I do!!!
    Originally posted by misterzim
    Keep it coming
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

7,199Users online

Martin's Twitter