Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davidturpie
    • By davidturpie 12th Dec 16, 8:25 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    davidturpie
    Parking fine for wrong location - Can I appeal, or do I ignore?
    • 12th Dec 16, 8:25 PM
    Parking fine for wrong location - Can I appeal, or do I ignore? 12th Dec 16 at 8:25 PM
    Hi,

So my wife was driving my car a few months ago and parked in a pub car park (The Fox & Hounds) next to the local train station in Hhrsforth, Leeds. It was 15 to park for the full day which she didn't pay as she had our 3 year old son with her and was running late for the train.

So, she gets a parking ticket on the windscreen and decides to ignore it.

The ticket was issued on the 1/9/16.

I get a naughty letter from Debt Recovery Plus on the 17/11/16, can't remember what it said particularly but I presume it was fairly standard.

Received another letter last week, on the 2/12/16 addressed to me, the registered keeper of the car telling me of intended court action for an unpaid parking charge of 160.

Not sure how they can charge 160 for 15 worth of parking! Anyway, top of the letter it states the following:

Location: Fox and Hounds, Newcastle upon Tyne. Ive googled the address and there is a pub called the fox and hounds in Newcastle, but eagle eyed readers will have spotted that the car was parked in Leeds.

I've read a few things online about the amount of time they have to contact you, the letter states that the 'offence' took place on the 1/9/16 and they first wrote to me on 17/11/16, thats 78 days elapsed.

The letter states that the law has changed and the Supreme Court ruling in November 2015 states the parking charge was lawful.

So, do I ignore it, or do I write to them stating the car wasn't in Newcastle - I have no evidence to support that though!!

Please help, I have until the 16/12/16 to make payment arrangements.

Many thanks

David
Page 2
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 15th Jan 17, 11:37 AM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 5,429 Thanks
    The Deep
    Please do not pay them, you hold all the trumps and, if they persist, they could end up paying you money.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • davidturpie
    • By davidturpie 9th Feb 17, 1:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    davidturpie
    Hi,

Just another update, got the following letter dated 12/1/17

"Thank you for your communication regarding the above PCN, the time to challenge the charge has now expired and therefore access to the independent appeals service (if applicable) is no longer available.

However, in order to resolve this matter, I will offer he following comments as to why this PCN was correctly issued and is still payable.

My findings:
    The site in question is subject to terms and conditions, which are stated on signs through the area. Those signs state that all vehicles must be parked in an authorised manner.

On 1/9/16 the vehicle was parked in an unauthorised manner and a PCN was correctly and legitimately issued as a result.

Legitimacy

I would like to make clear that Debt Recovery Plus Ltd is a legitimate debt recovery company and we are members of the British Parking Association and the International Parking Community. furthermore, we are enrolled on the data protection register and as such are authorised to request and handle the information in our possession.

Registered Keeper Liability
    As you failed to provide the drivers/hirer's contact details within the stipulated timeframe liability now rests with the registered keeper of the vehicle.

What you need to do now
    Please ensure that 136 (reduced from 160) is paid by 26/1/17.

What will happen if you do not pay what you owe
    If the amount is not paid by the date shown above, we will recommend to our client that court action be taken by them to recover the outstanding balance.

What if you do not agree
    Although any correspondence that does not provide further evidence with be noted and retained, I cannot guarantee that we will reply

Do i just ignore? I haven't paid them!

cheers lots!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 9th Feb 17, 1:54 PM
    • 14,013 Posts
    • 17,294 Thanks
    Redx
    that "my findings" letter is a template from DRP

ignore DRP, they are powerless and useless and can do nothing at all

the NEWBIES thread deals with DRP/ZENITH and other debt collectors

their "my findings" templates have been in use for years, which is why its easy to spot them

IGNORE , and DO NOT PAY those sc@mmers

if the PPC want to take it further, that is their decision and nothing to do with DRP
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Feb 17, 1:56 PM
    • 31,272 Posts
    • 15,240 Thanks
    Quentin
    Originally posted by davidturpie

See the last paragraph of # 20!

(They are debt collectors.)

See this thread on why you don't need to post about DRP:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5035663
    • davidturpie
    • By davidturpie 10th Feb 17, 9:48 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    davidturpie
    Thanks all,

I won't bother you all again, it's just hard to know what to do and answers to the questions have been really helpful so thanks very much indeed

cheers
    David
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 10th Feb 17, 10:59 AM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 5,429 Thanks
    The Deep
    I do not understand, how can OP's wife lose? They are claiming the event took place in Newcastle, she parked in Leeds. I do not know all that much about Oop North, but I do know that they are a few hours away from each other.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Feb 17, 1:41 PM
    • 45,879 Posts
    • 58,885 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Hi,

Just another update, got the following letter dated 12/1/17

"Thank you for your communication regarding the above PCN, the time to challenge the charge has now expired and therefore access to the independent appeals service (if applicable) is no longer available.

However, in order to resolve this matter, I will offer he following comments as to why this PCN was correctly issued and is still payable.

My findings:
    The site in question is subject to terms and conditions, which are stated on signs through the area. Those signs state that all vehicles must be parked in an authorised manner.

On 1/9/16 the vehicle was parked in an unauthorised manner and a PCN was correctly and legitimately issued as a result.

Legitimacy

I would like to make clear that Debt Recovery Plus Ltd is a legitimate debt recovery company and we are members of the British Parking Association and the International Parking Community. furthermore, we are enrolled on the data protection register and as such are authorised to request and handle the information in our possession.

Registered Keeper Liability
    As you failed to provide the drivers/hirer's contact details within the stipulated timeframe liability now rests with the registered keeper of the vehicle.

What you need to do now
    Please ensure that 136 (reduced from 160) is paid by 26/1/17.

What will happen if you do not pay what you owe
    If the amount is not paid by the date shown above, we will recommend to our client that court action be taken by them to recover the outstanding balance.

What if you do not agree
    Although any correspondence that does not provide further evidence with be noted and retained, I cannot guarantee that we will reply

cheers lots!
    Originally posted by davidturpie
    Ignore that drivel. If you Google these words:

'Debt Recovery Plus My Findings parking'

you will see it is a letter they automatically churn out when people pointlessly write to them. Loads of people get that rubbish and really you shouldn't have bothered to write to DRPlus aka Zenith.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• davidturpie
    • By davidturpie 14th Feb 17, 10:36 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    davidturpie
    you will see it is a letter they automatically churn out when people pointlessly write to them. Loads of people get that rubbish and really you shouldn't have bothered to write to DRPlus aka Zenith.

Interestingly just got a letter from Zenith :

Without Prejudice
    We are writing.... won't bore you with the rest as sure it's another standard letter.

Settlement figure has now been reduced to 80 - slashed by 50%!!!

I do not understand, how can OP's wife lose? They are claiming the event took place in Newcastle, she parked in Leeds. I do not know all that much about Oop North, but I do know that they are a few hours away from each other.

^ correct, they are about 90 miles apart! Thing is, I have no proof the car was actually in Leeds and not Newcastle. Despite their clerical error, there is no proof other than a ticket on the cars window!

Guessing I don't reply to Zenith either?!

cheers!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Feb 17, 10:39 AM
    • 31,272 Posts
    • 15,240 Thanks
    Quentin
    Ignore all debt collectors (drp = zenith!)
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 14th Feb 17, 10:44 AM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 5,429 Thanks
    The Deep
    Thing is, I have no proof the car was actually in Leeds and not Newcastle.

Why should you need any? They are accusing your wife of bilking in Newcastle, make them prove it.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Feb 17, 1:48 PM
    • 45,879 Posts
    • 58,885 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Zenith are DRPlus:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3829727

That's from 2012 but well worth repeating!
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• davidturpie
    • By davidturpie 20th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    davidturpie
    OK,

Just a quick one as I'm pretty sure of the answer, but just for peace of mind...

received a 'notice of intention to commence legal proceedings' letter.

Is this more rubbish to be filed away in the folder?

thanks!!!
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 20th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 6,522 Posts
    • 5,429 Thanks
    The Deep
    Looks like a LBA to me, who sent it?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Mar 17, 11:26 AM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 2,265 Thanks
    DoaM
    As above, WHO sent this letter? WHO does it tell you to pay?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • davidturpie
    • By davidturpie 20th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    davidturpie
    Oops sorry, its from Zenith Collections.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,273 Posts
    • 2,265 Thanks
    DoaM
    Then it's not an LBA and you can ignore it like any other debt collector letter.

Have you had the one with CAPITAL BOLD RED TEXT yet?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,250Posts Today

5,777Users online

Martin's Twitter