Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • derrick
    • By derrick 9th Dec 16, 2:02 PM
    • 6,865Posts
    • 2,239Thanks
    derrick
    How long should a car battery last?
    • 9th Dec 16, 2:02 PM
    How long should a car battery last? 9th Dec 16 at 2:02 PM
    Purchased a car battery 30-10-14 for £49 with a 2 year guarantee, it has been alright until 2 weeks ago when after sitting for a week it was flat, got a jump start and did a 30 round trip, then left it on charge for 24 hours.

It was then showing 12.5 volts not running, started engine,showing charging at 13.5v, turned on rear demister, headlights and 4 speed heater fan, still showing charging at 13.5v.

Car left for another week then did the checks outlined above in 2nd paragraph with same results.

However another 7 days later, whilst still not been used the car would not start, (flat battery), and is showing as 9v.

Called recovery who checked the battery and whilst charging at 13.5 I was told no "charging amps", health "0", "replace", there was nothing said about buying a battery from him, he actually said we don't sell batteries.

Took car to where I purchased battery, (it is 5 weeks out of warranty),and told nothing they can do. Told them regardless of warranty it should last longer than 2 years, would not budge save to suggest I buy another,(duff?), battery and they would send mine to manufacturer and they may if it is faulty replace, (not likely that would happen even if he actually sent it back, why would he if I buy another one?). Or he would sell me another one for £25 without warranty or receipt, I did not take him up on that one!

On Wednesday I disconnected the battery and charged it for 24 hours, it was showing fully charged at 13.6v, 24 hours later, today, battery is down to 12.9v.

Have I got a case to have the battery replaced re SoGA or do batteries with a 2 year warranty only last 2 years and 5 weeks?

Battery fitted to a 1996 Toyota Carena E 1.6 Petrol

Battery details :
    PL2024
    12v 60amp
    CCA 480

The car does not get used regularly and can sit in the garage for 2-3 weeks, but it has been OK for the last 2 years and several years prior to that on the previous battery.

Last edited by derrick; 09-12-2016 at 2:07 PM.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Page 6
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 17th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 3,466 Posts
    • 2,841 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Not American

Not convinced they're spamming either, they've only made one post. But they are most certainly affiliated with an Indian battery retailer, who have a website hosted in the US.
    They also tried to make generic and slightly misleading statements.

One could argue that warranty is related to battery life, in that a battery manufacturer will put a longer warranty on a battery they expect to last longer.
    Originally posted by Strider590

OK, fair enough - I was going by the fact that his website advertises a "1800" number, which is the American free-phone code.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 17th Mar 17, 5:42 PM
    • 3,782 Posts
    • 3,156 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    Just letting you know, I successfully recovered an Exide battery that had been fully discharged for over 2 weeks.

Garbage battery pal. Sorry.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    In late Feb we passed on our old Pug 405 diesel to a friend who needed a car quick. The battery was just over 2 years old at the time. It had been standing since September last year and the battery was dead flat at the start of November (not even dash lights). Left it dead through the new year including a few frozen nights.

Gave it a 25 hour charge on a basic charger (no frills, transformer and rectifier jobby) before handing the car over, it's been running fine since. Ok, it will have suffered but there's still life in it even after that treatment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

211Posts Today

1,396Users online

Martin's Twitter