Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hardtimes
    • By hardtimes 9th Dec 16, 2:27 PM
    • 337Posts
    • 69Thanks
    hardtimes
    Budget Energy
    • 9th Dec 16, 2:27 PM
    Budget Energy 9th Dec 16 at 2:27 PM
    Just got an email from Budget telling me their new rate of electricity will be 14.84 inc vat. They are letting you terminate your agreement by giving notice by phone,email or post at least 5 working days prior to 30 December 2016
Page 4
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 8th Jan 17, 9:27 AM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 3,679 Thanks
    Old Git
    I'm wondering if its worthwhile complaining to SSE? I've still not been moved almost a month later. Not exactly a great start is it? I topped up on Budget before the New Year hoping that would do until the switch however I've already topped up once and am going to have to do it again.

I was with Click before I went to budget, shortest stay I ever had. They may have fixed it now but the payment system was a joke, the damn website crashed on 2 separate occasions after the card payment meaning you got no voucher code and of course it happened at the weekend when no one in the office. I stayed a month and then left.
    Originally posted by n1guy
    if you want SSE then phone them .I had two missed calls from click before I phoned them .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 8th Jan 17, 10:15 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    n1guy
    I already have phoned them. It's in progress. Is it possible to leave a month later even though I've not been connected? Beginning to regret going to SSE
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 8th Jan 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Assuming you're not in a contract with SSE, I don't see any reason why you can't leave whenever you want. Since you're now had to top up at the higher rate, I'd put in a complaint too. They'll never improve things if no one complains. Hopefully their complaints process has improved since I used it.

The problem I had with them was that when I tried to leave, after 4 months, they started saying I was in a contract. (I specifically chose a contract-free tariff). The whole drama took months to sort out, and I'm very grateful to the consumer council for their help. Otherwise I would have needed to take legal action.

That's why I chose Click this time. Though, I'd no idea they also had issues! That's made me nervous. I'm really hoping they've sorted out the payment and website problems you describe.
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 8th Jan 17, 9:45 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 3,679 Thanks
    Old Git
    I already have phoned them. It's in progress. Is it possible to leave a month later even though I've not been connected? Beginning to regret going to SSE
    Originally posted by n1guy
    you can change your mind anytime up to the changeover .

I signed up to SSE last year and changed my mind before changeover .
    • Ticked
    • By Ticked 9th Jan 17, 7:25 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Ticked
    I too became cheesed with SSE, voted with the feet and went back to PowerNI. Will not be changing again, the hassle isn't worth the fraction of a penny per Kw, and even this small saving isn't guaranteed. At least with Power NI everything runs smoothly.
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 30th Jan 17, 5:08 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    guiriman
    Didn't bother to switch from Budget as I'm moving house in two weeks but just got an email from them saying my tariff isn't going up until 1st October at least, still 12.5p incl. VAT. Bizarre behaviour
    (Have switched to Click at the new house)
    • basmiles
    • By basmiles 31st Jan 17, 12:17 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    basmiles
    Didn't bother to switch from Budget as I'm moving house in two weeks but just got an email from them saying my tariff isn't going up until 1st October at least, still 12.5p incl. VAT. Bizarre behaviour
    (Have switched to Click at the new house)
    Originally posted by guiriman
    I've received that email as well. When they announced the significant price increase to their 12-month 'fixed' tariff I wrote to them suggesting they were in breach of contract. They didn't reply so I sent a further email saying I was considering action against them. Still no reply but at least they are not increasing the rate now. As things stand, with their new rates, they seem to be the most expensive company providing electricity in NI.
    • SMW87
    • By SMW87 10th Feb 17, 11:54 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    SMW87
    now doing units for 12p again. little too late...
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 10th Feb 17, 12:39 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    now doing units for 12p again. little too late...
    Originally posted by SMW87
    And with a 40 exit fee! The discount is for 12 months but given their penchant for putting prices up during the fixed term, I don't think I'll move back.
    • Golden Anemone
    • By Golden Anemone 10th Feb 17, 1:57 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 1,354 Thanks
    Golden Anemone
    I got a phone call from Budget today telling me they've just launched a new green energy tariff which is now the cheapest in NI and asking me to switch back to them.
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 10th Feb 17, 2:25 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    I got offered the 12p deal as well. I declined because it's only slightly cheaper than click energy and as the saying goes once bitten twice shy...

Although I did clarify with the call operative that when they say it's fixed for a year that they mean it'll be 12p for a year no excuses to which he replied yes, and since I record my calls (had an app on my phone that does so and it's proved very useful over the years) so if anyone does decide to switch back and if they do put up their prices please let me know and I'll forward you the call as I'd quite like them to face some sort of penalty for breaking their agreements.
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 11th Feb 17, 8:56 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    justaquestion
    In my opinion as someone who was on the 12.5 tariff fixed for a year and then got the unexpected email that my price was going up, I wouldn't go back to Budget now.

Just felt it was a terrible way to treat their customers. I just simply wouldn't trust Budget now, no matter what price they offered.
    As someone has already said once bitten twice shy!
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 11th Feb 17, 9:26 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 3,679 Thanks
    Old Git
    my guess is they lost a lot of customers and are now trying to win then back . Click are giving me 50 over 12 months and 15 for each referral .I haven't heard if budget is offering anything .
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 12th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 6,653 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    Jo4
    Should I move my electric supplier to Budget Energy & save 63.21?
    I am currently with SSE on their "2 Year Home Electric 10%" which costs 12.59p per unit excluding VAT but it is due to end on 31st March 2017. My account will then be moved to their "SmartSaver Standard" which costs 13.15p per unit excluding VAT.

When I used the Consumer Council for Northern Irelands tool, http://www.consumercouncil.org.uk/energy/energy-price-comparison/, it stated that Budget Energy had a tariff called "Simply Green" which would be cheaper at 11.43p per unit excluding VAT.

Considering we currently use about 3,500 units annually the difference between the 2 tariffs is 63.21

-Budget Energy "Simply Green" 11.43p per unit *3,500 = 400.05 *1.05 (price including VAT) = 420.0525

-SSE "SmartSaver Standard" 13.15p per unit *3,500 = 460.25 *1.05 (price including VAT) = 486.2625

If I move to Budget Energy I would also be moving my parents electric supplier to the same company.

Do you think I should move back to Budget Energy as I moved from them 2 years ago to SSE because SSE were cheaper?
    • SMW87
    • By SMW87 13th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    SMW87
    I moved to electric Ireland. not the cheapest but you get 50 instantly to go towards your bills. For our consumption it worked out only a few pound more with better customer satisfaction. Its also contract free so we can leave if there is a big change in prices.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 13th Mar 17, 11:02 AM
    • 6,653 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    Jo4
    I moved to electric Ireland. not the cheapest but you get 50 instantly to go towards your bills. For our consumption it worked out only a few pound more with better customer satisfaction. Its also contract free so we can leave if there is a big change in prices.
    Originally posted by SMW87
    Thanks!

-Budget Energy "Simply Green" 11.43p per unit *3,500 = 400.05 *1.05 (price including VAT) = 420.0525

-Electric Ireland "Standard Rate" 13.32p per unit *3,500 = 466.20 *1.05 (price including VAT) = 489.51

-50 Online Switching Bonus
    -20 Direct Debit Loyalty Bonus
    -5 Online Billing Loyalty Bonus
    =414.51
    • KiwiCoop
    • By KiwiCoop 15th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    KiwiCoop
    Electric Ireland experience?
    Have many MSEs had experience with Electric Ireland or tried negotiating with SSE after coming off their original deal/contract? EI are 50 p.a. cheaper with their switching deal so I'm planning to get SSE to match it under the threat of leaving.
    • smiley333
    • By smiley333 23rd Apr 17, 9:15 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    smiley333
    I literally just switched to electric ireland last week with the above deal. definitely better customer service than budget and 50 bonus. I seem to remember maybe 2 years ago i never got my winter bonus from budget (10 for 3 months) and funnily enough the lines were engaged or the website wasn't working.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 24th Apr 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3,670 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    Hengus
    Have many MSEs had experience with Electric Ireland or tried negotiating with SSE after coming off their original deal/contract? EI are 50 p.a. cheaper with their switching deal so I'm planning to get SSE to match it under the threat of leaving.
    Originally posted by KiwiCoop
    I cannot comment on Northern Ireland but in England a consumer cannot 'barter' with an energy supplier. Energy supply is not like BT Broadband or Sky. Suppliers have to publish their tariffs (that said, it is now the case that some of the lower tariffs are only made available to new customers).
    • sunshine
    • By sunshine 24th Apr 17, 11:56 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    sunshine
    Originally posted by KiwiCoop
    No need to negotiate with SSE. Just ring up and ask for another deal - starts a new 1 year contract, and you can continue to do that each year. I didn't realize that for a few years and was paying dearer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin