Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 11,135Posts
    • 62,119Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 38
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 21st Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 19,865 Thanks
    RosyRed
    I visited a lovely craft shop in another town & bought Merchant & Mills Top 64 pattern yesterday,but I dont yet have any suitable fabric and I'm not sure what I fancy either.Been looking on pinterest for inspiration!You can make it up as though its a jumper,or linen types and denim.I did see some gorgeous pink,I think it said it was boiled wool but it was beyond my budget

Have a good hol Silva Sava.
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • flissh
    • By flissh 26th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    flissh
    Rosy, Ive just looked on pintrest. Its a very versatile pattern. I saw one in jersey (i think!) stripes for a sort of relaxed sweatshirt type.

I have put to bed the disaster last week by making a new dress.
    https://grainlinestudio.com/shop/women/dresses/willow-pdf/
    Its got a strange pleat about hip height, but I went with it and I'm really pleased with it. I made it in a cheap fabric I got in fabric land, brighton which seems to have worked really well. It looks a bit like a chambray, pale blue with white daisy type sprigs on it.
    I'm thinking of making another. I bought some green fabric which I thought had bees on it but my dughter took one look and said Uggh, Flies!! So I'm not sure if it's such a good idea!
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 26th Sep 17, 10:51 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 19,865 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Flissh- glad you're happier with your latest make! I like that pattern.

I've been looking at those images too of the M&M top-so many different ones I cant decide what look to go for yet .I might look through my stash and make it up in a cheapie first before I splash out on a dearer fabric.
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • flissh
    • By flissh 27th Sep 17, 5:02 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    flissh
    Good idea. I always think next time I'm going to make a toile out of something I've had for ages but I never do.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 27th Sep 17, 7:50 AM
    • 11,135 Posts
    • 62,119 Thanks
    kittie
    I make a sort of toile every time I make a new pattern for a top or dress, for that I use old fabric, like the pink linen for a top or an old fine cotton for a nightie. I made the MnM trapeze dress in a fabric that I didn`t really want but it turned out lovely except for the neck, being a fabric that I had not cared much for, I thought `what the heck` and cut and altered the neckline, it was a fab success and I applied it to the other two dresses that I made since then. I am glad that I made all these garments properly because I love them all

I have the top64 pattern, loved it but not made it yet, need to make room in my wardrobe first. I am glad you mentioned the boiled wool as it didn`t cross my mind but I have two lengths, from the german stemmer shop online, five years ago and carefully kept on their bolts. It would make a fab top in that but yet again it is another pattern I would first make in something like the kaufman denim that I now have in my stash. No seam finishing with boiled wool and would be very warm, ideal for winter as an overtop

I haven`t been sewing for weeks now, been so busy with kondo stuff, I am looking for a new house, so I need to prepare. I have three nice lands end cotton nighties,in a sale 7 years ago, nice slightly stretch small print on white fabric. I realised why my hip was aching at night and the fabric from the lower split sides was bunching up under me. I am going to make myself a few pairs of knickers from one of them, the fabric is just right and I have fold over elestic. These hm knickers of mine are now my `go to` for comfort and a quick sew
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 11:52 AM
    • 11,135 Posts
    • 62,119 Thanks
    kittie
    I have been waiting a long time for my back order of `cotton and steel` fabric to arrive but 2 lengths arrived this morning. One has bees on it and the other random red and pink shapes. I have seen an MnM dress made up of this make of fabric and it was awesome. These are destined for very artisan and exclusive dresses next year. They would cost a bomb if you can find them ready made. There is one more to arrive, magic forest foxes. They are also good for quilting hence ordering in multiples of fat quarters
    http://thefabricfox.co.uk/bees-yellow-magic-forest-cotton-steel/

one length washed and is drying outside draped over a rack. Inside out so the colour does noit fade
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 6th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 19,865 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Kittie,that site has some lovely interesting fabrics.I shall go back and have a good look later.

I have made up the top64 in a cheap black fabric and I enjoyed making it.I think when I use nice fabric I will make it slightly smaller too so it was worth doing.The only problem I had was I hadnt quite enough and made the neck facing from a black vest and its not quite right,but certainly wearable and comfortable for in the house.

I think I'll get quite a lot of use from the pattern as you can use various kinds of fabric,making it very versatile
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 11,135 Posts
    • 62,119 Thanks
    kittie
    Rosy, that re top64 is very interesting to hear. I have ample fabrics and think I will also make a first one in one of my less-loved fabrics. I don`t have any sewing mojo at the moment, partly because my wardrobe is already too full but it will come back. I can see that it will be a very useful top
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,633Posts Today

6,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin