Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 11,292Posts
    • 63,842Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 37
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 51,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    Slowdown and likklegibbon - welcome to the thread! The more the merrier!! Congratulations on leaving your stressful job SD - in a few months you won't recognise yourself! I'm only an occasional poster but do pop in regularly to see what people are up to and what's going on.
    Today's sewing task is to move two buttons on a wrap over skirt to accommodate me expanding waistline lo!. It's only an inch - honest
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 16th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    jackyann
    Likklegibbon - meander round the various sites to look for patterns. My own 'curvy' favourite is Cashmerette - recommended on this forum (thanks whoever it was!) expensive but worth it.
    Style Arc are also good.
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 16th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Son is redoing his bedroom and wanted floor length curtains but like the fabric he had(mid radiator height.
    I found some cream canvas and some black cotton. I add d a wide band of each, finishing with the black doubled up. They look great! ...if I may so myself! And cost nothing but my time.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 16th Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    jackyann
    Artytarty - I am at this moment looking at curtains to which I did the same!
    A favourite fabric, beautiful rich print from The Cloth Shop, bought after a visit to Shakespeare's Globe, and the colours remind me of it. I made them 10 years ago when refurbishing our bedroom, only 2 years before we made the huge decision to buy a plot and build our own home. I could not bear to part with them, so bought some lovely russet cord fabric to 'frame' them. I still love them.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 16th Sep 17, 9:39 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 20,686 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Likklegibbon, happy birthday - great choice of presents! Do you mean where to look for lessons? Or what sort of things to start with? Give us some idea of what you want to make and how much experience you have. I have learned a lot from reading blogs, there are online classes from Craftsy and there are quite a lot of free resources on YouTube.

Slowdown I left a professional career two years ago, my income fell to about 1/3 of what it used to be but I've never been happier. One of the many benefits is that I now have more time to sew, it has taken me a while to create time for it but now I try and build it into my week because it gives me so much pleasur.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • This calls for cake
    • By This calls for cake 18th Sep 17, 9:37 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    This calls for cake
    Patched a worn knee on my Hubby's colleagues overalls today, payment in the form of teas and coffees and a chippy dinner for the hubster!
    I have some towels I bought last year to turn into hooded towels as Xmas gifts for my kids, what with one thing and another I ran out of time and the towels are still sat in the bottom of my wardrobe, might get them out this week and get started on them for this Xmas!
    • flissh
    • By flissh 19th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,365 Thanks
    flissh
    Oh the frustration! Before I went on holiday I was making a shift dress. I got into a right old muddle with the interfacing and had to unpick the side seam a couple of times.
    Anyway, I just got it back out to finish. I have spent a few hours adjusting some issues with the way the side seams hang, they were too sticky out A line style.
    Then put in a zip. That took a few attempts and lots of unpicking.
    Just adjusted the top of the side seams because when I looked at the almost finished dress I felt under the arms was not the best fit, cue more unpicking, side seams, facing etc.
    On a final sew I caught another part of the dress as I was sewing a seam and stitched a great big wrinkle in it.
    AAAaaarrgghhH. I don't even LIKE it. The style of the dress is not me. I don't like the pattern on the fabric, I don't like the neckline...
    It's going in the bin (when I've ripped the zip out)
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 51,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh flissh - feel your frustrations - been there done that. Mine was a gored dress in a green that didn't suit me. I don't think one bit went right and it ended up hanging in the wardrobe & then binned a few years later. Wasn't even worth finishing to pass on to someone else
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Sep 17, 10:00 AM
    • 11,292 Posts
    • 63,842 Thanks
    kittie
    just a quick visit to say, I think it was Polly said that you need to wear hm three times before you it becomes it feels good. Just saying that I have done that and it is very true, I am wearing a hm top now and will soon change into different hm garments as I am being taken out to lunch. Thy are far nicer than much of the stuff I bought in the past, including the tops from eatex via just last season, that don`t hold their shape and feel so clammy, all that cheap polyester, it makes me shudder
    • flissh
    • By flissh 19th Sep 17, 12:05 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,365 Thanks
    flissh
    Silva, maybe some garments are just not meant to be. Mine was trying to give me that message from the very start.
    I hear what you are saying Kittie. I'm not fishing this monstrosity out of the bin though!
    My day has continued to be non productive. A while ago a dart I had sewn on a top came apart because I snipped too close to the stitches when I was snipping to reduce bulk as advised in the pattern.
    I tried to re sew and made a complete hash of it. Tried it on with my new critical eye and thought 'you know what, I don't like this either' In the bin it went with the dress!!!
    I've put everything away as I am definitely not in a sewing mood.

Hope if anyone is sewing today it goes smoothly x
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 51,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    Have had those days too when everything you turn your hand to goes to rat sh*t! Cue me putting some sleeves in a dress - first one went in perfectly - would the other one - not on your life,sewn and unpicked about 4 times and left in frustration for the next day. Picked it up again next day and it went in perfectly - Huh!!
    Ive a pair of cut off's I want to shorten - they're mid calf and I prefer just below the knee. Not in a hurry though as the weather is turning cooler. I'll do them next time I get the machine out for a larger job.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 11,292 Posts
    • 63,842 Thanks
    kittie
    oh dear, those days are horrible when nothing goes right. Sometimes I stop in the middle and go up to the allotment to get it out of my system but best to leave it for a while and come back refreshed.

Wrt fabrics, its been a coolish day today but I am cosy as toast, this thicker linen/cotton skirt with a cotton petticoat and knee highs, it is just right. Good stuff linen. I was taken out to a posh hotel for lunch, I thought it would be a caf but I still felt good in my hm garments and more than that, they are different, no-one else has the same
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 19th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    jackyann
    Oh flissh - I have also been there. In fact, 25 years ago, I was returning to work after being a stay-at-home mum for a few years. In haste I bought a fabric I thought I liked, and made a dreadful shirt that looked awful.
    Juggling job, home and schoolkids meant that if I couldn't make it quickly, then I couldn't make it!
    I stopped dressmaking for 10 years. Then I got a bit more time for myself and I went back to basics and learned all over again. I have had my disasters, but have been able mostly to rescue them, and learn from them.
    I suggest a fitting course for birthday /Xmas gift. It has made the world of difference to me.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 20th Sep 17, 12:18 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 20,686 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Flissh, I feel your pain - I don't think there is a sewer in the world who hasn't cut through the garment while trimming a seam, sewed a sleeve in inside out, or done something that's ruined a finished piece. It is frustrating but it's all learning.

I've also done that thing of making something and realising that I don't really like it! You're probably right to shred it, you're never going to fall in love with it after this. I didn't come up with the 'wear it three times' idea, it was someone else on this thread, but I have found it to be a useful maxim, sometimes things need to be worn in
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • flissh
    • By flissh 20th Sep 17, 6:02 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,365 Thanks
    flissh
    Thanks everyone.
    Jackyann, thats a good idea. I need a fitting class. I don't understand it enough. I also need a dress form. That will probably be my next buy.

I've also been thinking about making a dedicated sewing room. We've got 2 spare rooms and it could always be tidied away when visitors come. I realised yesterday that I'm fed up with putting it all away when I'm done. It would mean that cutting out would be done downstairs and actual sewing upstairs but think that would be ok. It would also mean getting more furniture that we won't need when we finally return home though and thats why Ive been reluctant to do this.

No sewing for me today as i have been ignoring the ironing for too long. Hubby wore a pair of shorts yesterday that were from the bottom of the basket Don't want to make my self sound like a drudge, but I'm not working at the mo, so happy to do all the household chores.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 20th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 9,979 Posts
    • 46,569 Thanks
    euronorris
    Hello avid sewers!

I have a sewing machine that I am looking to sell (sadly I no longer have the time or space to use it), and am wondering where is the best place to sell it (other than eBay)? Do you guys have a preferred place to buy second hand machines from?

Thanks.
    • imho
    • By imho 20th Sep 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2,446 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    imho
    Your local for sale Facebook page.
    I always see sewing machines for sale on mine and most sell.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 20th Sep 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 6,561 Thanks
    jackyann
    I now have a dedicated sewing room. I chose it for the light, but it also has the airing cupboard in it, so the iron is permanently set up there, both for sewing and ironing. I have a large work surface running underneath the window, and some shelves.
    I have a clothes rail on which hang things for ironing, works in progress, and spare hangers for guests.
    As luck would have t, one the spare beds is quite high. Whilst not an absolutely ideal cutting height, it really is OK. I have a mattress cover on the bed, i cover that with green baize (acquired many years ago - any thick fabric would do) and on that I put a cutting board.

When I need the spare room for guests, it takes maybe 15 minutes to tidy sewing away, put covers on machines, quick hoover, fold up cutting board, fold up baize and make up bed.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 21st Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 20,686 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I probably could create a sewing room out of my spare room, but I have got used to gathering stuff up and moving it to the kitchen, and as I live alone, if I want to leave it out then it's up to me.

I've done three pages of the 'quiet book' so far: a tree with woodland animals hiding behind felt leaves, a barn with farm animals behind doors which opens up with a satisfying Velcro strip, and a rather poor recreation of one of the characters from The Night Garden, which is my little friend's favourite programme. Page four is a frog with a zippy mouth that will reveal a long red tongue. It's ended up being entirely hand-sewn, but I've really enjoyed myself with it. I can't wait till he is old enough to have pages with removable bits and pieces!

I need to bind the pages together somehow - not decided yet - and then insert eyelets, get some clip rings and make a cover. My plan is to make a new pair of pages every month. Tomorrow is a free day so far, I'd like to get the machine out again.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 21st Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 51,763 Thanks
    silvasava
    All I did yesterday was to alter the CS nightshirt and shorten a top. I'm tall but tops look better on me if no longer than my hip flexor, only needed a couple of inches off but makes a difference. Both ready to pack for my holiday on Saturday. I have got some cut off's that need to be altered too but decided to leave them u til I come back as they'll need a. Bit more time and patience!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,865Posts Today

9,183Users online

Martin's Twitter