Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 11,284Posts
    • 63,790Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 36
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 34,671 Thanks
    joedenise
    I've finally read the thread through from start to finish - it's taken a while.

Thanks for the links Kittie and others. I've book marked several for later.

Haven't done much sewing for a long time but used to make my girls skirts & dresses when they were younger (both in their 40s now!). Have just made my first dress for a long time but not particularly happy with the fit. Will need to make a few adjustments to it before I can wear it. It's a bit loose around the bust area and a bit tight around the hips - think I should have graded the side seam and made it size 14 rather than 12 but it was good practice.

I'm thinking about getting some fabric and having a go at making some knickers - they look fairly easy to do but not sure when that's going to happen as going away shortly for 3 months.

Will keep an eye on the thread when I can.

Denise
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 51,724 Thanks
    silvasava
    Only sewing for me this week will be altering a too large cotton nightshirt I bought in a CS for 50p - it's nice quality and has little embroidered hearts all over it. I've also got a new pair of cut offs to shorten - they're mid calf and I prefer them just below my knee.
    Out shopping on Wednesday with a couple of friends and I took a quick look in Fabric land - they had some nice heavy stretch cotton and a lovely roll of scuba - I've a shift pattern that I love and I'd only need my length as they were both wide .......thinking about it
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 8th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 51,665 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    silvasava If the nightie is an M & S one, I bought one but took it back to the shop because the embroidered hearts, though pretty, were really uncomfortable to lie on
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 34,671 Thanks
    joedenise
    Have washed and pressed a piece of material for a top and sorted out a pattern.

Don't think I'm going to cut it out yet as we're off on holiday this week and won't be back until a week or so before Christmas! Think it's going to have to be the first thing I do in the new year - wow that sounds a long way away!

Denise
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 51,724 Thanks
    silvasava
    Ivy - it's not an M&S but I take on board what you've found - it doesn't seem too 'bumpy' but the proof will be in the sleeping!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Sep 17, 8:41 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 20,672 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Wow, that's a long holiday, Joedenise! Enjoy.

I tackled the fabric cupboard yesterday. As I expected there is very little in there that would actually make a garment. Some upholstery/cushion making fabric which I'm keeping, I do occasionally do upholstery so it may get used. A vast amount of white/cream fabric in different weights, no idea where or why I got it but it could be useful for backing/lining certain projects. And the real shocker - five metres of William Morris fabric that I have no recollection of buying!

There's much more - two bin bags for the CS, and I'm sure someone will be thrilled to get a large quantity of white broderie anglaise (something I would never wear!). It feels good to have got rid of some junk and to be able to see what's in the cupboard. In future I'm only taking fabric in if I've got a specific use in mind for it.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 34,671 Thanks
    joedenise
    Your local CS will be pleased as will lots of customers. Wish I was near you, love broderie anglaise. Have a piece in my stash which will make a blouse and possibly a little cami top (as long as the piece which is already cut isn't in the wrong place!)

Denise
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 12th Sep 17, 6:42 PM
    • 7,785 Posts
    • 26,109 Thanks
    Primrose
    I used to be a sewer but no longer. Today however I had to darn some holes in a much loved old woollen sweater of my husband's which he is reluctant to part with. Not having an old fashioned wooden "darning mushroom" to aid me I was wondering how to make my task easier when my eyes alighted on a couple of small butternut squashes ripening on my wi dowsill .

I have to report that one of these formed a very effective substitute!
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 20,672 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Great improvisation! I don't often need to darn anything but I still have my mum's mushroom in the sewing box.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Sep 17, 9:20 AM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 51,724 Thanks
    silvasava
    Second the improvisation! I tore a small hole in a quilted jacket that couldn't be repaired unobtrusively then had a LBM - put a decorative badge on it. Trouble was the badge needed a very hot iron to melt the glue (not able to sew it) and the jacket was nylon/ poly! Cue me finding a piece of wood the same size as the badge to put underneath so the iron only touched the badge - worked a treat!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Sep 17, 9:52 AM
    • 4,931 Posts
    • 51,665 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    That's brilliant, Primrose and silversava
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 7,785 Posts
    • 26,109 Thanks
    Primrose
    Love the badge idea, well done !
    • flissh
    • By flissh 13th Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    flissh
    Amazing what a bit of improvisation will do!
    Just traced a pattern for a simple t shirt from a new book, 'Beginners guide to sewing' by Wendy Ward. Not doing it today, maybe tomorrow. It looks like a really easy make though.
    Washed all my new fabric today, now folded and put away. I'm looking forward to getting going. Also caught up with all the sewing blogs and vlogs that I missed when on holiday, hopefully sewing is having a bit of a renaissance.
    • Green hopeful
    • By Green hopeful 14th Sep 17, 10:03 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Green hopeful
    Hi. I hope you can help.

I am making eyelet curtains for quite narrow French windows. I think each curtain will be one width of fabric. I cut the fabric and then tested out the placing of the Jupiter eyelet tape.

Going mid eyelet to mid eyelet is 137 cm. clearly that won't work and give me some fabric to fold over and seam allowance. It would waste lots of fabric to reduce the width enough to get to the next even number of eyelets.

Does anyone know of eyelet tape that fits one width of fabric or tried making eyelet curtains without using tape. My fabric isn't very thick but I have lining with wadding back so it is quite strong and thick.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Many thanks

Green hopeful
    • flissh
    • By flissh 15th Sep 17, 7:15 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    flissh
    Sorry, I don't think I can help, but I think I understand your frustration. I bought ready made eyelet curtains and had to join another curtain to them to make them wide enough and was really frustrated at the amount I had to discard to make them an even number. I had to cut off a whole eyelet width each side.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 15th Sep 17, 7:21 AM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 6,544 Thanks
    jackyann
    I would have a look on the Merrick and Day site, where anything curtain related can be found, along with useful tips.
    Having said that, I rather think that eyelets for a narrow, but heavy curtain is not the best way of hanging them(experienced amateur talking here). I think that the wadding will need a big 'fold' to hang properly.
    You might consider fabric 'tabs' ( loops) sewn on to the top and looped over the pole. I have found these very useful with narrow curtains BUT the bulk of the tab means they don't draw back into a narrow space . So they are most useful if you have a large side space to draw them into (needs a longer pole) or if they are on a window where their decorative effect is more important than letting in the light!
    You can reduce the bulk of the tab by using strong coloured webbing / herringbone tape that matches / contrasts with the curtain. You can also use this method with any old tape you have lying about to tack on and give it a try.

My own favourite is to buy poles with rings, use conventional curtain tape, and hook on to the rings.
    I have seen curtains made without curtain tape, where the rings are either sewn on or secured with a small, tightly sewn piece of fabric tape.

This site has nice tapes, and also stocks eyelet tape and other curtain stuff: http://www.fabricuk.com
    • Green hopeful
    • By Green hopeful 16th Sep 17, 6:02 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Green hopeful
    Thank you. I might just make normal tops.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th Sep 17, 7:42 AM
    • 11,284 Posts
    • 63,790 Thanks
    kittie
    I kept a darning mushroom, never used now but nice to stroke, tactile

Absolutely no sewing now as I am clearing anything I can get my hands on since I decided to move. I will be having a dedicated sewing room, no doubt about it. I finished washing the last of the lengths yesterday and will stash them away later, The sewing room here will be easy to pack as I want everything in it and the joy of it is that everything is in that one room, plus two shelves in the airing cupboard

I have taken to wearing my own hm things lately, almost every day, except for trousers. I only ever had one pair that fitted me well and I kept them going for 15 years, last year I took them apart, the very old MnS classic fit, I cut cardboard patterns and the patterns are hanging up. No point in trying to replicate exactly because the side pockets and front fly were complicated. What I will do is use a standard pattern and then use the cardboard to alter the all important fit from waist, down between legs and up again, this also gives me enough ease, whereas just a tape measurement does not. That is in the future. Next job is to start clearing some wardrobe space

This time of year I am wearing skirts outside too, long enough to wear with my opaque knee highs. I am another who does not have nice legs and was never brave enough to have them on show outside my own home

Oh yes, knickers, I wear my own by choice now, they are supremely compfortable, the fabric is much nicer. I cannot see me buying them again, ever. Welcome to all the new people, I am loving that this thread is thriving
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 16th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 5,331 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Hi all,
    I'm thrilled to have found a sewing thread. I'm an amateur sewer who has lapsed in the last 6 months. I don't really make clothes, more soft furnishings and sometimes scenes. I love sewing but this year has been stressful at work and despite the relaxing nature of sewing I have not been able to settle to it. If I'm not in the zone I find it hard to be creative.
    However, I'm about to leave my stressful career after 28 years, which is sad because I've devoted my life to it but good because I can no longer carry on being so unhappy. And that means I feel like I can begin to sew again. I started a seaside quilted scene for a picture frame which I am keen to finish. I'm very glad there are lots of experienced people here whose brains I can pick when I'm stuck and with whom I can share my interest with.
    So thank you and see you soon.
    • likklegibbon
    • By likklegibbon 16th Sep 17, 9:03 AM
    • 941 Posts
    • 22,339 Thanks
    likklegibbon
    Hi everyone. Today's my birthday and after a lot of thought I asked my family for a dressmaker's form and sewing lessons as my pressies. I'm short, busty and a bit on the curvy side and sick of wearing stuff that hangs in all the wrong places - have been a cross stitcher for years but now want to learn how to properly sew so that I can finally find things that fit me rather than kinda fit. Any suggestions of a good place to start?
    I'd rather be watching CSI!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,076Users online

Martin's Twitter