Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 11,054Posts
    • 61,033Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 35
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 31st Aug 17, 4:28 PM
    • 3,268 Posts
    • 20,348 Thanks
    purpleivy
    That's an excellent tutorial for doing necks, but one thing to add.
    If you are pressing as you go along, be really really careful about hammering your poor fabric with the iron like the demonstrator is doing! Some jerseys (particularly bamboo or viscose/elastane will stretch out and also may mark quite badly with an impression of the seam allowance underneath. I would start gingerly with a pressing cloth and see how it goes.... on a sample of fabric before my garment.

I have finally learned to love my overlocker! By way of background, I bought the beast a few years ago, secondhand. I didn't really understand what to do with it, and it's been taking up valuable space in my sewing cupboard. I decided that this year I'd either got to learn to use it or lose it.

I tried making a T-shirt not long after I got it, and it didn't end well. In fact I think I'm still emotionally scarred. In my cupboard upstairs is a carrier bag with some scrunched up (and slightly tear-stained) jersey.

Earlier this year I went on an excellent Saturday course at Morley College in London, which make me slightly less scared of it, however I still hadn't really used it. Rather than risk a mistake with expensive fabric, I cut up a jersey wrap dress that my sister gave me. I used a pattern from this very good book Sew U Home Stretch by Wendy Mullin and followed the instructions. Wow - so quick and easy compared to making a woven top, no facings, no darts, no fitting issues. I'm sure it's not perfect but I seriously don't think I will ever buy a t-shirt again! I can choose some proper fabric instead of the 'cheesecloth' weight that most seem to be made from, and make the sleeves a comfortable length. The overlocker performed perfectly, I'm still learning how to position the fabric but it's so neat and so speedy.

Incidentally Kittie do you recall posting this link, http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3839/video-a-neckline-binding-for-knits about how to fit necklines? I followed it to the letter, and it worked like a dream - perfectly fitting neck band.

I'm so pleased with this, and it's given me a real boost after a somewhat challenging week. Now, am I brave enough to retrieve that UFO from the cupboard and see if there's anything to salvage?
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 31st Aug 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3,268 Posts
    • 20,348 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Well, been a while since I was here, but just to catch up on a few themes.

Overlockers...my Babylock has decided that chewing fabric instead of cutting is the way forward, so it's been collected today and is going to SMD for a repair. I do use it an awful lot for my work doing garment alterations and repairs. The 2nd overlocker has come into play. I used to think it quite decent, but finding it hard work, as the tension needs constant adjustment, unlike the Babylock, which goes from chiffon to fleece with no change!

Sewing for other people....hard one! I get paid to do it. I don't charge my parents, but everyone else pays. They don't think not to! even then, Mum bought me a cashmere top as a thank you for the recent (large) batch of stuff I had done for her.

I was bemoaning the fact that I hadn't got round to sewing for me. Well, work being under control I decided to get a top made to take on holiday at the weekend. 2nd overlocker not playing the game, so a slow start. Now I'm ill and not able to get on. grrrr!

Don't be scared of the overlocker, just be very careful! ONe thing to remember is always have your right thumb under the fabric as it feeds into the machine, so you can tell straight away if there is an extra layer (your gament!) which will end up with a hole in it and also your left hand doing the same with the rest of the garment. If you sew like this on your regular machine, then you will avoid getting little wrinkles of fabric in the seam, that you have to stop and unpick and re-do
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 31st Aug 17, 4:53 PM
    • 3,268 Posts
    • 20,348 Thanks
    purpleivy
    It's worth googling for this one. It's quite often possible to find sewing machine manuals on line.
    I found the one for my Elna Lotus, which is quite an old machine.

Polly I also have a second hand over locker, it was given to me sans instruction book, I have had a couple of goes but I do really need to learn how to use it properly. The problem is I don't even know if I have all the necessary bits, once the children are back at school I will have to pull it out and see if there are any useful numbers on it that might help me find the instructions online or something. In the meantime I'm pinning with gay abandon to my sewing inspiration pinterest board!
    Originally posted by This calls for cake
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 31st Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 3,268 Posts
    • 20,348 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I prefer hand made binding to purchased on the whole.
    Quite often the purchased ones are very hard and kind of crisp,
    not what I want next to my skin.

I use the funnel type of maker and if I have a lot to do, then I use the 'continuous' method.

Ooh, I want a Tailors' Ham - I'm planning to ask for one for my birthday along with a few other sewing items. Let us know how you get on with making one.

I've got a bias maker, just a simple metal funnel-type - you feed the strip of fabric in one end and then press it as you pull it through. They're quite cheap on Amazon, is that the sort of thing you mean, Tray Select? I wouldn't say it's better than purchased binding, but it means you can self-bind, use contrast fabric, use up scraps and so on. If you do get one, look up one of the many tutorials on how to cut a continuous strip. I don't use mine much, but I haven't needed binding for anything recently.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 1st Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 19,792 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Thank you very much for those tips, PurpleIvy - especially the one about feeding fabric through the overlocker. I haven't done it yet but I know sooner or later I'm going to cut something that wasn't intended to be cut, it's always a risk.

Not much has happened here as pesky things like work keep getting in the way, however bills must be paid so I'm working all weekend too

I started making some pattern weights a while back, they were going to be for myself but they've turned into a present for a friend who's learning to sew. Making the little fabric bags took no time (they're just square bags with a twist, like a beanbag) but filling them seems to be taking forever. I've run out of 'value' rice - I started looking at craft pellets and lead shot etc until I realised rice was much cheaper! I've also made a drawstring bag for her to keep them in. I've decided they'd just be something else to store, and sardine tins and soup cans do the job perfectly well for me.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • elf06
    • By elf06 2nd Sep 17, 10:51 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 15,128 Thanks
    elf06
    I've decided they'd just be something else to store, and sardine tins and soup cans do the job perfectly well for me.
    I use my coffee mug, scissors, corner of sewing machine - whatever is to hand
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 2nd Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,499 Thanks
    silvasava
    I've always pinned my patterns but after watching the Sewing Bee where one of the chaps used pebbles I think I'll be doing that in future!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 2nd Sep 17, 9:54 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 19,792 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I've seen some made from metal washers covered in ribbon and so on, there are lots of examples on Pinterest. I should have picked up some pebbles on my last beach holiday!

Storage is a thing; I've been looking longingly at Horn sewing cabinets after Kittie mentioned them, I even came close to bidding on one on eBay. But I realised it would take up space that I don't have to spare.

At the moment my sewing stuff is hidden throughout the house, machines and fabric live in a built-in wardrobe, buttons, ribbon etc in jars on a bookshelf, and some other supplies are in an old wooden sewing box on legs that was my mum's. It means before I start sewing I have to gather stuff from lots of different locations which is a pain, but I like sewing on my kitchen table, the light is good and the kettle is nearby!

I think my next home in four or five years time (I hope) will have a dedicated sewing space. It would be nice not to have to put everything away in between sewing sessions.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 4th Sep 17, 10:13 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 19,792 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Craftsy free access day alert!

You can view any classes today - obviously you can only stream them, not download them - but it's a chance to see if you want to buy something or maybe get some useful tips!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 4th Sep 17, 10:31 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,499 Thanks
    silvasava
    POLLY - I bought a little cupboard with two drawers for my spare room and its holds my machine and my sewing box and all the bits an pieces. There's some underbed drawers that hold fabric so it is all in one room but like you I like the dining room table to work on so everything has to be brought downstairs. We're planning on a kitchen/diner revamp and my dining room has a bay window. I'd like to have a window seat that will hold my sewing stuff so its out of the way but accessible. I sorted all my zips, bias bindings, ribbons etc into ziplock bags - no more tangle and I can see what's in there!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • flissh
    • By flissh 4th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    flissh
    Dining table for me. I've got acupboard next to it that I can keep everything in. I cut out on a sticky out bit of worktop I n the kitchen
    Last week of my holiday today. I have got lots of
    Lovely fabric to take home. Got to Brighton today went to fabric land and ditto. Now I have to stop or I won't get it all in my suitcase
    Im holidayed out now and missing home comforts
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 4th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 19,792 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I've come across Fabricland's website - some real bargains, I don't know what the quality is like but it looks perfect for craft projects/costume making etc. Flissh, is it sad that when I'm away I look forward to coming home and getting the sewing machine out?

Silvasava, I think I should probably move to Ziploc bags - in Marie Kondo style, I've been repurposing storage but some work better than others. The see-through jars do look quite pretty, though! Zips are awkward, I acquired a lot when my friend cleared her dad's house, but I can see that a bag for each length would be good, make it easier to sort them. Ah, I may have forgotten to mention the underbed drawers. And the plastic crate .... I really need to sort the fabric 'stash' out as I suspect a lot of it is not likely to be used.
    • flissh
    • By flissh 4th Sep 17, 10:24 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    flissh
    Polly that's not sad at all!! I bought a second hand machine the other day to keep in the caravan we have here. It's just like the one my mum used to have and a pleasure to use. I'm almost sad I can't take it back with me but I'll have it here next time I come.
    Now I've bought so much fabric and some patterns and a book on dressmaking I can't wait to get home to get stuck in

Fabric land was ok Think you have to take it at face value. There's no info re washing instructions and not all fabric is identified but it was a real bargain
    Last edited by flissh; 04-09-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    • elf06
    • By elf06 5th Sep 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 15,128 Thanks
    elf06
    Ooooh I'm off for a nosey at fabric land! Personally I like Oh sew crafty - good customer service, quick delivery (even to the arm pit of nowhere which appears to be where I currently reside).

Re storage - how do you all store your fabrics? By colour? Farbic composition? Project? season? I need to find a better way as mine are all currently flung in storage boxes but I can't always find what I'm looking for. Zips, clips, buttons etc are kept in either a small storage cube that has little drawers (think mini tool box for screws etc) or in a biscuit tin!!
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Sep 17, 2:46 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,499 Thanks
    silvasava
    I've got some underbed storage drawers - not plastic ones - they were bought over 40 years ago to go under my boys bunk beds so they're 2ft wide, 2'6'' deep and about a foot high. Nice and solid wood on castors with hinged lids. At the moment I store furnishing fabrics in two and dress fabrics in the other one.I really need to have a sort out to see what I will realistically use. Our local hospice has a craft shop so any surplus will go there. I use them a lot for oddments of supplies too. Have been known to buy a part reel of thread for 20p for one job and return it when I've finished!
    Polly - I've sorted my zips by colour rather than length - might do the same as you.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 5th Sep 17, 3:45 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 19,792 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Plastic crates for larger bits, underbed drawers for fat quarters/larger scrap pieces, and then upholstery fabric is piled in a cupboard that I'm slightly embarrassed to open at the moment. It's more oddments than actual dress lengths, and it does need tackling. I'm confined to quarters on Thursday as the car is being serviced, so perhaps that will be the day!

I am having huge amounts of fun at the moment, haven't been able to get on with a big project as too many things are interfering, so I've started something I have planned for ages. I'm making a 'Quiet Book' for my friend's little boy. If you haven't heard of these, Google it and be prepared to lose several hours of your life! Basically it's a cloth book with activities - zips, laces to tie, velcro, things that pop in and out of pockets etc.

Because he is very young, I am keeping it to things that are firmly attached - so far I've got a felt tree with leaves which lift up to show an owl, squirrel and so on, and the next page will be a barn with farm animals behind the doors and windows. It really appeals to my creative instincts, it's a great way to use up scraps of felt, coloured thread etc and it involves lots of hand sewing so I can do it while watching TV and without needing to use the machine. My plan is to punch eyelets in each page and clip them with a keyring type thing, so that further pages can be added in due course.

Once he is old enough not to put everything in his mouth, there are some fabulous ideas which involve things you can move around, match up, take on and off the page (with buttons or velcro) and so on. I am having so much fun, I have had to invest in a pair of microtip scissors though to cut things out neatly.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 5th Sep 17, 6:08 PM
    • 3,268 Posts
    • 20,348 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Well, I had the best laid plans. I got my top cut out, started sewing. Took ages to get the overlocker to play nicely. Work sewing under control. Then I was ill. Managed to get away, but still not well. No new top. Best overlocker has had its service and man let me know it is ready to collect on my return.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 5th Sep 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 19,714 Thanks
    RosyRed
    I spent a satisfying hour sorting all my threads into the new sewing basket my friend bought me for my birthday,and the top compartment housing machine needles,spools,& sundries like tailors chalk,pins.It made me realise how much thread I have got so I've sorted a bag of duplicates and colours I wont use to give to my cousin who makes costumes for school nativities etc.

My fabric is stored in a plastic crate on top of the wardrobe,and WIP or soon to be used under the shelf where my sewing machine is.Patterns are in a nice box on the bookshelf in the bedroom,which is where I sew. I am feeling a bit more organised now

DGD came today and I have one of the playsuits back-she said she was doing gymnastics on holiday and it got a hole in.Its actually the overlocking that has pulled away from the fabric on the crotch seams,easily fixed,though they are lightweight so there won't be that many chances to wear them now autumn is on it's way,& they probably won't fit her by next summer. She's back at school tomorrow,and DGS starts nursery school next week so I'll have a bit more time to get stuck into some sewing.
    Polly,the quiet book sounds great,I'll have a look at those later.
    Save
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 6th Sep 17, 6:20 AM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 61,033 Thanks
    kittie
    Just a catch up thread browse for now. Hope you are feeling better purpleivy. I am liking to read about storage and projects, I don`t have a storage problem any more as it is just me but in the past it was difficult, boxes under beds mainly. Now I store fabric in the airing cupboard as well as in any cupboard in my sewing room.

Proof of the pudding as in wearing and using. Yes I am loving my hm clothes, just the right season for them and I am glad that my linen skirts are a bit longer and looser, they are warmer and I can see the layering potential. Blanket is also wonderful

I am thinking about trousers, I have always had a fit problem, the best pair was from MnS classics about 16 years ago. I sacrificed them unpicked all the seams and made a pattern on card to hang in my sewing cupboard. I may never use them as an actual pattern because the side pockets and zip were complicated but they will make a huge improvement to any trouser pattern fitting

I am glad to see the thread remains alive and well, til we meet again
    • flissh
    • By flissh 6th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 1,333 Thanks
    flissh
    Thanks for the info 're the quiet books Polly, I'm definitely going to have a look at that
    Hope you are feeling better purpleivy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,289Posts Today

8,496Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin