Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 10,520Posts
    • 55,539Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 15
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 10th Apr 17, 9:27 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    @ivyleaf
    Thanks. The nearest place is a half hour drive, then park and ride, then a fair walk, and the machine weighs a ton! I took the old plastic one there once to get the tension sorted [it didnt get sorted] and it was as you say, about £60.
    I'll hazard a look inside the pedal first...!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    • 4,315 Posts
    • 45,434 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    @ivyleaf
    Thanks. The nearest place is a half hour drive, then park and ride, then a fair walk, and the machine weighs a ton! I took the old plastic one there once to get the tension sorted [it didnt get sorted] and it was as you say, about £60.
    I'll hazard a look inside the pedal first...!
    Originally posted by beautiful_ravens
    Good luck

If you did want to take it to the shop, if you ring them in advance, they should be able to arrange for you to park round the back and enter by the back entrance - that's what our local one does at any rate, when people are bringing machines in.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 11th Apr 17, 2:20 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 18,130 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I've never had this problem, but if anything jams or sticks my first recourse is always to give everything a jolly good clean- it could be something simple like a bit of lint or fluff caught somewhere.

I had my old hand-crank machine serviced and that cost about £60 a few years ago, but that machine is priceless to me. With brand new entry-level machines for as little as £99 it makes servicing seem very expensive.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Apr 17, 3:31 PM
    • 4,315 Posts
    • 45,434 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I've never had this problem, but if anything jams or sticks my first recourse is always to give everything a jolly good clean- it could be something simple like a bit of lint or fluff caught somewhere.

I had my old hand-crank machine serviced and that cost about £60 a few years ago, but that machine is priceless to me. With brand new entry-level machines for as little as £99 it makes servicing seem very expensive.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle

It does, doesn't it? But the cheapest ones have plastic components slotted into a plastic carcase, and they can't be mended if anything goes wrong, you just have to throw the whole thing away!
    • Emm-in-a-pickle
    • By Emm-in-a-pickle 13th Apr 17, 7:42 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 8,221 Thanks
    Emm-in-a-pickle
    My old Brother industrial straight-stitch machine was originally leased from then bought from a firm 20-odd miles away. The firm moved a couple of times then got taken over by Sew Europe, during the 15 years or so when I wasn`t sewing at all. I managed to track them down, to find they were on the small industrial estate that has its boundary fence at the bottom of our garden!! I pop round there for needles, bobbins and a chat every now and then, and the chap who originally set it up in my house is semi-retired and was very happy to know the machine is still in use. I feel very lucky - and privileged - to have an open SOS line, although they don`t do domestic call-outs officially...but as I`m practically a neighbour now they`ll make an exception. (I am growing to love this beastie nearly as much as my old long-gone treadle.)
    • Emm-in-a-pickle
    • By Emm-in-a-pickle 13th Apr 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 8,221 Thanks
    Emm-in-a-pickle
    Dithering

I am a compulsive fabric buyer. I buy stuff either because it`s a bargain and is ok, or because I really like it but not sure what as!!
    The former I have no trouble with, I look at it one day and think `go for it`, cut and sew and see what happens. I`d say I`m usually at least 75% happy enough with result.
    The latter, something I bought because I REALLY like, I look at and dither. I have a velvet top that I love wearing, that always gets compliments, but I spent 18 months dithering before deciding to cut...bought the fabric ages ago because I loved the colours, then looked at it/put it away/looked at it, etc.
    Now, I have a couple of remnant pieces, enough to make a shirt. It`s a mustardy-lime background with little foxes printed all over. I just love it, and if there`d only been the one piece I`d be wearing it right now as a sleeveless shirt, but as it is I`m dithering between a long sleeved shirt or a long sleeveless thing. Either would make me happy, but first I have to stop dithering and decide.
    Eldest DGD is coming to stay tomorrow, I`ll seek her opinion. Or toss a coin? It`s haunting me now and I`m getting cross with myself! Does anyone else here dither like this?
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Apr 17, 1:43 PM
    • 4,315 Posts
    • 45,434 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    My old Brother industrial straight-stitch machine was originally leased from then bought from a firm 20-odd miles away. The firm moved a couple of times then got taken over by Sew Europe, during the 15 years or so when I wasn`t sewing at all. I managed to track them down, to find they were on the small industrial estate that has its boundary fence at the bottom of our garden!! I pop round there for needles, bobbins and a chat every now and then, and the chap who originally set it up in my house is semi-retired and was very happy to know the machine is still in use. I feel very lucky - and privileged - to have an open SOS line, although they don`t do domestic call-outs officially...but as I`m practically a neighbour now they`ll make an exception. (I am growing to love this beastie nearly as much as my old long-gone treadle.)
    Originally posted by Emm-in-a-pickle
    Aw, that's nice to read

And I can completely understand the dithering - it's because you want to make exactly the right thing to do your lovely fabric justice!
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 14-04-2017 at 1:52 PM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Apr 17, 5:17 PM
    • 10,520 Posts
    • 55,539 Thanks
    kittie
    Hi,
    Any ideas about this - I was happily sewing and the machine suddenly went full pelt and wouldn't stop, I had to unplug it. Plugged it in and out a few times [at the machine, not the wall] and it was still going; eventually it stopped... is it likely to be a faulty pedal? [the pedal wasnt stuck on the table or anything!]
    Its pretty old, I got it off ebay to replace my plastic machine because I wanted a really heavy machine.
    Originally posted by beautiful_ravens
    If it is a really old machine then it won`t have that button to make it run by itself, or a speed change dial. It must be the foot or something inside that is causing the electric current to increase. You unplugged it several times at the machine so probably foot control capacitor short circuiting the switch. Maybe ring and see if you can take just the foot pedal in

sorry its a few days late, haven`t been sewing so not been on the thread for a while

If you know someone with a soldering iron, then just buy a capacitor and solder it in or you may be lucky and have one that screws in. They are very cheap
    Last edited by kittie; 14-04-2017 at 5:21 PM.
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 14th Apr 17, 5:53 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Artytarty
    Following on fromEmm in apickles post, how old is the old piece in your stash?
    I've got some lovely cotton sateen with a paisley print in a blue and some in pick, perfect for a summer dress but neither me nor my gran have ever used it, she probs bought it in the sixties.
    I've got some fine woven wool that was part of an inherited house contents of hubby's aunt- thirty years ago and she probably had it for twenty before that.
    I've some really really noisy rustly taffeta that's from the fifties.its probably the oldest piece and I don't think I'll ever use it. It's too stiff and noisy.
    You?
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Apr 17, 6:44 PM
    • 4,315 Posts
    • 45,434 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Following on fromEmm in apickles post, how old is the old piece in your stash?
    I've got some lovely cotton sateen with a paisley print in a blue and some in pick, perfect for a summer dress but neither me nor my gran have ever used it, she probs bought it in the sixties.
    I've got some fine woven wool that was part of an inherited house contents of hubby's aunt- thirty years ago and she probably had it for twenty before that.
    I've some really really noisy rustly taffeta that's from the fifties.its probably the oldest piece and I don't think I'll ever use it. It's too stiff and noisy.
    You?
    Originally posted by Artytarty
    Visualising maybe a boned strapless bodice made from the taffeta, with a contrasting skirt made from something a bit softer....(not that I'd have a clue how to make a boned strapless bodice, but you might)

I don't actually have a fabric stash at present, apart from a piece of 36-inch-wide cotton in a small floral print from about 1980, bought as part of a "lucky dip" pack of 6 pieces by mail order all those years ago. (We were living in Belgium at the time with not much local access to cheap fabrics.) The other pieces were made up into dresses and skirts for my daughters at the time, the one still left is the one I liked least

Oh, come to think of it I do have a piece of silky polyester print that I bought just before getting ill. Must get that out in the near future and see what I can do with it

kittie
    that's a very helpful post, I hope you're right as that sounds quite simple to fix!
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 14-04-2017 at 6:47 PM.
    • Emm-in-a-pickle
    • By Emm-in-a-pickle 15th Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 1,596 Posts
    • 8,221 Thanks
    Emm-in-a-pickle
    I`ve got a few pieces that date back about 25 years, I did have more but had a cull a few years ago before I started sewing again. The velvet top I mentioned in an earlier post was one of the 25yr old stash till recently.

The fox print cotton I was dithering about is only a few months old, and I`ve taken the plunge. decided on long sleeved shirt, and have just finished cutting it out. Loads left, will find a use for it I`m sure.
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 16th Apr 17, 3:25 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Artytarty
    My Mum gave me an old oven gl Ve, the typemthat is woven from a heavy cream heat resistant cord. But it was a bit worn on the hand part so I sewed some pretty floral fabric over the mit bit and it looks pretty good.
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 20th Apr 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Artytarty
    I've had a minor disaster! I decided to narrow the legs on a pair of navy trousers I made last year and always felt like a bit of a clown in. Just too wide all the way down. That's worked ok actually but when I was trying them on the zip got well and truly stuck- closed! It was always a bit dodgy if I'm honest. I could not get the trousers offf me so I had to take my little seam ripper and cut myself out of them and then replace the zip!
    But it a weird way it was fun.
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 21st Apr 17, 9:14 AM
    • 5,573 Posts
    • 85,062 Thanks
    fuddle
    Love it artytarty!

I'm afraid my sewing machine hasn't seen the light of day since I moved house and cant get it out now as having major works done but I am hand sewing DD a viking outfit out of 2 pillow cases. An interesting job, no, but it's nice to be able to have a project again.

• purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 22nd Apr 17, 5:05 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 20,295 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Sorry Kittie, been away and busy and not on the forum.
    The Harrison is great, not sure why I made it though, I hardly ever wear woven fabrics!
    Re Babylock. I sent mine with Hermes, not a problem, they take things heavier than that! I think the company sent it back with Parcel Force though. They must have preferential rates for an account holder, as it cost them a lot less.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 24th Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    • 10,520 Posts
    • 55,539 Thanks
    kittie
    I am going to have a bash at shortening a bra band this afternoon, not the easy way by doubling fabric. I have some beautiful empriente bras, cost a lot and I want to keep, hardly or never worn. I am going to first tack a set length in a fold on each side and I will wear it, to check that it is right. Measuring properly is key and so is being accurate

I will wear it all afternoon and if it feels comfy and if the band no longer rides up, then I will undo stitching and even shoulder straps and re-cut to fit the hooks and eyes and perhaps re-position the shoulder straps. It is going to take time to do this properly but I am sure it will work. Watch this space

Ahh fuddle, making outfits for children, that brings back memories. It was always christmas, the busiest time of the year, when they needed shepherds and angels
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 27th Apr 17, 10:17 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Artytarty
    How did the bra alterations go Kittie?
    Today I made a double oven glove for my daughter, I bought some heat reflective fabric for the inner layer and a lovely navy cotton print with lemons on it or the outer layer.
    I really struggled with the bias bi ding edging though and had to resort to a bit of zigzag to fill in a few misses.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 28th Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 5,488 Thanks
    jackyann
    Absolutely love the Harrison shirt I made. Next time I will shorten the sleeves a bit, but it is in a lovely purple that my mother used to call 'my colour'. She taught me to sew and I hear her voice when I make things (in my head, I mean, as she's been dead 10 years!)
    • kittie
    • By kittie 28th Apr 17, 8:24 PM
    • 10,520 Posts
    • 55,539 Thanks
    kittie
    I have been too busy arty, not even done the rough sewing of the band. Still, I realised that I could do it and they are staying put, in my drawer

Nice to hear that jackyann, it is going to be a must-do sew for me but not at the moment. I have too much to do here, the allotment etc. I have to pace myself. Would it be good in silk? I have a length of beautiful deep rich turquoise silk, it was destined for a nightie but tbh I have enough nighties or maybe a cotton or a viscose mix as there are buttonholes. I think I will do a prelim sew of harrison first, in an easier fabric
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 28th Apr 17, 11:02 PM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Artytarty
    *goes off to Google Harrison shirt...*
    And very nice it is too!
    I'm busty as well oddly enough and rarely if ever wear button up shirts.
    I like the pattern a lot but it looks quite tricky for me and I'm rather more of a make in a day type! I tend to make batwing style drapery tops and short tunic things.
    Last edited by Artytarty; 29-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

390Posts Today

2,706Users online

Martin's Twitter