Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    • 10,624Posts
    • 56,835Thanks
    kittie
    The sewing thread
    • 9th Dec 16, 7:42 AM
    The sewing thread 9th Dec 16 at 7:42 AM
    We have an active knitters thread on the os board, I always felt that we should have a sewers thread here too, in visible sight. Many many people sew and there are also many learners. I made my first skirt on a treadle singer machine at age 10, many of us oldies were taught sewing at a very early age. The craft died down for many years when cheap clothing shops flooded the high streets but there is a re-awakening and I have grandchildren who are desperate to learn how to sew. I believe that a sewers thread should take equal place with the knitters thread and on this board

I am still an active sewer, using three machines, overlocker, sewing machine and coverstitch. Even sewing a plain hemmed tablecloth for all day coverage to keep the table nice, using good quality fabric, takes less than two hours and gets lots of good comments, also very practical and made in a light fabric, it brightens that corner of the room

I am about to teach my 8 year old grand daughter, who is getting a future-proofed real janome sewing machine for christmas. She will obviously have to start with pedal control, forward and backward etc but I can see her making an apron for her mum after half an hour of basics. I have a simple paper pattern ready, the fabric and the notions. We will do simple cutting out of two fabrics, then will sew back to back, pulling the fabric through, there will be no seam edges, or finishing or hems.

Let`s get this thread going. Join us if you sew, if you want to sew, if you have queries and questions
    Last edited by kittie; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Page 11
    • tlb2408
    • By tlb2408 6th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    tlb2408
    [QUOTE=mrssnowy;71954615]
    Some tote bag ideas

I've picked out a few fabrics from my stash that should be big enough as I'd like something roomy with strong straps and a lining.
    ]

Katkin, I have made this one a few times and it is excellent,good and sturdy. holds a lot but not too big. I made them out of Laura Ashley cotton furnishing fabric and they didn't need lining,but it has double fabric on the base.

mrss
    Originally posted by katkin
    Where can I get this pattern please.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 6th Mar 17, 8:03 PM
    • 13,334 Posts
    • 16,530 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    love sewing and spend far to much money on fabric and patterns which I am going to try and stop! I buy more patterns and fabric than I can sew.

:-)
    Originally posted by tlb2408

That's standard I think
    NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
    Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 6th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 1,702 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    I'm just about to start reading the whole thread, but I have just bought a very basic sewing machine, which was mainly for hems and easy projects for school.

I really would love to learn how to sew properly though, so wondered if anyone can recommend what easy things I could start with please?
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 7th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 18,345 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Cushion covers are a good place to start - straight lines and you can start with an 'envelope' type and then progress to more technical things like zips, piping, and so on. There are lots of tutorials online. Why not see if you can find a workshop day locally to get you started?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Mar 17, 5:53 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 56,835 Thanks
    kittie
    I did two rolled hems on the overlocker today, I have a years old babylock. I put the cutter down and was able to go straight onto the edge and got good results. Very pleased as I haven`t done a rolled hem for many years. Trouble was that my lower looper was unthreadable, it uses puffs of air to put the thread through and I think there must be a bit of fluff blocking the flow. I spent a long time on the net looking for a solution and eventually realised that there is a very thin and long babylock threader, which you put down the hole and it comes out of the looper. Then I lost it, blooming could not find it anywhere, not helped by a ridged sisal carpet. Two hours later found it and forced it through. Anyway got the overlocker threaded. I`ll have to take it for a service but it is so darn heavy and I need to go to park and ride and then bus and then walk. I did finish and did get a result but it was one of those days that has left me very tired
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 9th Mar 17, 6:45 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 18,345 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    That sounds like hard work - my overlocker doesn't have any fancy attributes, it's just fiddly threading it. I'm very impressed with your rolled hem. My course begins next week, and I'm hoping after that I'll understand how to do such things- I've got a book and I know how in theory, but I don't think I could just sit down and do it.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Mar 17, 7:34 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 56,835 Thanks
    kittie
    The rolled hem was easy polly. it was the lower looper threading that took too long but I needed a change of colour today, so just fastened the new colour to the old colour and pulled it through the lower looper. I need to give both machines a good clean and oil and then I`ll cover them and leave them alone for a while

Anyone new to sewing, needles make a huge contribution to good sewing, This week I changed between a 80 jersey ballpoint, an 80 universal and a 70 universal. Anything stretchy needs a jersey or stretch needle. I bought dozens of schmetz needles years ago, boxes of 100, then I used a US site and even with tax and shipping, they were much cheaper than in uk but not any more. Also thread is important, stretch fabric needs polyester thread and I always use either gutermann or mettler seralon on my sewing machine. Mettler from quilt direct.http://www.quiltdirect.co.uk/acatalog/mettler_seralon_100m.html#.WMGuD2dBrIU
    I also keep silk and cotton threads and have a large selection of overlocking threads on cops, mainly from empress mills. I tend to wind a full bobbin and then keep the reel and thread together with bobbin mates and then they just line up in an old rectangular box
    • snoop2008
    • By snoop2008 10th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    snoop2008
    Morning everyone.. what a lovely post.. I haven't really been on for nearly a year and I am a beginner in sewing.. I am still working out the thread needles for the machine as regarding fabrics.. lol.. have got several books from Debbie shore, half yard gifts etc.. and I learn a lot from youtube videos.. its been really lovely but lots to learn. My daughter bought me a singer legacy.. its computerised,, got the hang of some of the intructions.. but can not understand how to do the embroidery as its all in one.. I was nervous to use it for nearly 6 months, but now I sew the basics,, never have to buy another cushion cover or curtains anymore!! buy most of my fabric from ebay, as I am mostly housebound and have chronic joint problems. but I always keep an upbeat attitude and love sewing as well as other crafts, like basic jewellery making, but its the sewing I love.. I have made some comestic bags too and little purses from leather for my daughter.. I tried to make a cat bed for my fluffy, but he is not having it.. lol... Thanks for tips on the needles.. I didn't understand them at first but got a better idea.. I just the regular needle for most of my projects and it seems to do the job..

Happy sewing everyone.. lovely thread..
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 11th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 18,345 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Well, every day's a school day - I didn't know those big reels used on overlockers were called cops, and I'd never heard of a bobbin mate! They look like a good idea - at the moment I store bobbins separately in a little case. I tend to just use the nearest match but if you've chosen thread for a specific project I can see you'd want to keep it the same.

I'm guilty of using the same needle for everything ... and yes, I know I should start a new needle for each project!

If anyone is tempted by the idea of an overlocker, I see that Lidl have got one of their special promotions on from 19th March. It's a Singer, so it's a known make.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 11th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 7,061 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    -taff
    I got a couple of overlockers from ebay, both singers, 14u's, they are virtually indestructible and I think retailed in the 80's, cost about 50 each

Highly recommend them....both 4 thread, one with differential feed, one without...
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 17, 2:23 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 56,835 Thanks
    kittie
    welcome snoop, it is such a good uplifting hobby

I needed a carrot cage and looked on amazon and ebay, they work out at over 10 each for what is a 70cm high strip of fine mesh. I made one this morning, I had the fine mesh and made channels for canes. The mesh was problematic to sew at first, it was being pulled down, so I put my single hole throat plate on, must remember to put the wide hole plate back. Used a 90 needle and decided to lay some tissue paper on the back. It worked fine and then I realised that I had missed a step in threading doh, that is why the machine played up. However the tissue paper tip is worth remembering for tricky fabric

I have a new sewing book, it looks amazing and is full of tips and help. Called fine machine sewing by Carol Ahles, it goes well beyond the basics
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 56,835 Thanks
    kittie
    I did a gentle de clutter in there last night, found five new boxes of pins so got rid of all my old pins stacked high on my magnetic pin holder. I am liking longer pins best and am going for clover fine quilting pins lately.

Thoroughly cleaned my sewing machine, only needs one drop of oil and sorted my machine needles, having read in that book a tip ie putting part used needles in an empty needle box. I found an empty red box and its good for that. I also re-discovered a puffy felt ball shape marked in needle sizes, so have put another 4 part used needles in that. and will be using those needles first, unless I sew something delicate

Overlocker needs a good de-fluff but will do that before my next use. Re-read the instuctions and does not use any oil but I will use my micro tools on my vacuum as it is hard to get into nooks and crannies

I will be sewing today, fleece and long zip, from empress mills, all cut out to size. Dressing gown. Lots of tips learnt from craftsy and will use wonder tape to help with the zip

something is making these posts awful wide. Is it the picture?
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 17, 2:54 PM
    • 10,624 Posts
    • 56,835 Thanks
    kittie
    I have finished my dressing gown, it was awesome to make, everything fitted together like a dream. I did view A with the zip and hood. I altered the pattern and cut it out weeks ago. I usually do that
    https://sewdirect.com/acatalog/Kwik-Sew---9999-5207.html

The fleece is fantastic, feels like a slightly felted wool
    http://www.empressmills.co.uk/shop/fabrics/fleece-fabric/printed-antipil-fleece/printed-antipil-polar-fleece-largespot-grey/

The zip is bright red. I ordered 3m of fabric and have lots left, must measure it and see what is left for next time. This is the only company I could find that did the correct weight of long zip. I will be making another in the future as I already have fabric, pale blue with stars but with buttons. In the future I want to make a lovely dressing gown from pure wool or even a cotton velour and will definitely use that pattern

I don`t like the waist ties on dressing gowns, hence the zip. I looked far and wide and found
    https://www.davidnieper.co.uk/easy-on-warm-fleece-gown-3311.html
    then looked at the price, for fleece
    Some tips:
    long stitch ie 4
    plenty of zig-zags to hold seams together
    size 80 needle, I used universal part used, so will now bin it as fleece is dulling
    didn`t iron or use wonder tape, just long sharp pins

The pattern is so easy that I would recommend it for a beginner, it is very clearly written
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 12th Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    Well, every day's a school day - I didn't know those big reels used on overlockers were called cops, and I'd never heard of a bobbin mate! They look like a good idea - at the moment I store bobbins separately in a little case. I tend to just use the nearest match but if you've chosen thread for a specific project I can see you'd want to keep it the same.

I'm guilty of using the same needle for everything ... and yes, I know I should start a new needle for each project!

If anyone is tempted by the idea of an overlocker, I see that Lidl have got one of their special promotions on from 19th March. It's a Singer, so it's a known make.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle

Must go have a look then! I just googled it couldn't find anything though?
    Mortgage 67 869
    Credit card 0% 870 (2 more pay days to go)
    Emergency fund 742/1000
    Christmas fund 40/160
    Savings aim (including EF fund) Jan 2018 3050 Jan 2019 9450
    Updated 14/05
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 12th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    pandamonium
    I've been considering buying an overlocker - not that I have anywhere to keep it at the moment. But I would like to be able to alter shop bought clothing and make some of my own. I'm only 5ft high so getting clothes to fit well can be a problem unless I pay a small fortune. Most clothes seem to be jersey type fabric. Can I see this with an ordinary machine or would an overlocker be more suitable?
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Mar 17, 9:06 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 18,345 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Whoknows it's in a leaflet that I picked up, there's a 'craft' offer coming up. The website only goes up to 16 March as far as I can see, this promotion is listed for 19th March so keep watching.

Kittie I never thought of making a dressing gown, but that pattern looks great, I can never find exactly what I want.

Pandemonium, I'm not sure- I bought my overlocker so I could sew jersey but I think you can sew a lot of things with an ordinary machine and a zigzag stitch.
    Last edited by PollyWollyDoodle; 12-03-2017 at 9:08 PM.
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 12th Mar 17, 9:11 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    Thanks Polly Don't suppose you have any idea on prices?
    Been contemplating getting one and though extra money should probably go on my loan, long term will give me more things to do and save me spending hundreds in another shop a year down the line!
    Mortgage 67 869
    Emergency fund 742/1000
    Christmas fund 40/160
    Updated 14/05
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 12th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    Pandemonium I sew jersey stretch on a plain fairly simple sewing machine (brother ls14) you can buy needles especially for stretchy material which do help but try to get an off cut you can test the stitches on first as the tension needs altering a fair bit on these types of material
    Mortgage 67 869
    Emergency fund 742/1000
    Christmas fund 40/160
    Updated 14/05
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Mar 17, 9:32 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 18,345 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    If you go to the Lidl site and find 'online leaflets' you should eventually get to a PDF of a leaflet with baby stuff on the front - I tried posting a link but couldn't get it to work. Scroll through to page 27! I now see it says something about regional offers so I apologise if I've misled anyone and it's not going to be in your area. Price shown is 119 which is good value.
    • Whoknowskt89
    • By Whoknowskt89 12th Mar 17, 9:35 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    Whoknowskt89
    There's 3 lidls within a few miles of me so I'll give it a shot! Thank you, probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.
    Mortgage 67 869
    Emergency fund 742/1000
    Christmas fund 40/160
    Updated 14/05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

2,068Users online

Martin's Twitter