Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Perryface
    • By Perryface 7th Dec 16, 10:15 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 207Thanks
    Perryface
    Debt free me!
    • 7th Dec 16, 10:15 PM
    Debt free me! 7th Dec 16 at 10:15 PM
    Hello diary,
    I have been reading lots of diaries tonight and thought I would give it a try. I have not planned this very well and don't have exact figures to hand but...

Our debts, are:
    Mortgage £85000 (due a statement in January I think. £799 a month fixed rate for another 12 years)
    Loan £10000 (car, credit cards paid off, ends sept 2018. £500 a month)
    Overdraft £3300

Our debt was mainly due to me becoming disabled in 2014 and no longer being able to work conventionally, however, as part of my therapy, I paint - I have not sold a painting yet but my work is currently shown in a local gallery and also on artfinder.
    My husband has recently lowered his hours at work so he can care for me more and is planning on retiring in 16 months (he is a paramedic with recurring back problems) so money is even tighter so I have spent the last few days searching mse for tips to help us financially.

We have contacted the tax man and sorted out my hubby getting part of my allowance so we are due to get back £400ish from them for the last two years.
    I have also checked my tesco club card (£5.50) and nectar cards (£10.87)to see what we have in them ( which will help towards Xmas food).

We have swapped sky for virgin basic but are thinking about just going with free view, we have a package with virgin for phone, Internet and tv, so will have to look into how much we would save without the TVs, if it's pennies we might keep our little luxury!

We have just had smart meters fitted for gas and electric so are yet to see a benefit from that.

Oh, and all Xmas gifts have been bought and wrapped so we don't have any worries there (most of the stuff was bought in the January sales.

If anyone has any ideas, hints, tips on how I can generate an income sat on my bum, I would love to know!

Xxx
Page 6
    • -taff
    • By -taff 5th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    • 7,021 Posts
    • 4,434 Thanks
    -taff
    Milk in it.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 6th Mar 17, 12:21 AM
    • 10,342 Posts
    • 66,329 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Oh gosh, can see how that card would have been so difficult to suddenly read. It sounds like your neices birthday went well, and your gifts sound very thoughtful.

To add photos on here you need to set up something like a photo bucket account. Then link to that using a web address in your posts.

I always add milk and butter to mashed potatoes but you could try just milk for half the calories.
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £53.06 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1530.12 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • Perryface
    • By Perryface 6th Mar 17, 11:23 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Perryface
    We spent £88 on groceries yesterday. I bought some low fat soft cheese and will be having that with mash tonight (to test it out).

We also bought natural yogurt to freeze, however, the tub says 'not suitable for home freezing' gosh darn it! I froze some anyway just to see what happens! I would much rather only do one shop a month as the temptation to buy stuff we don't need is too much!

I bought cous cous and wraps for lunches and instead of salad (lettuce is pointless in my opinion!) we got jars of pickled gherkins, roasted peppers and beetroot, fillings will include leftovers, ham, tuna, chicken and cheese for hubby.

I plan on cleaning up the garage today, it is full of cardboard ready to package my paintings to buyers. But they are just dumped everywhere! The freezer needs to be moved so we have a good walk area and we need space to put pedal bikes when we can afford to buy them! That will be our exercise of choice -body willing!

We ideally want to demolish the garage - but hubby had a bright idea of converting half of it into my art studio.... However, I need natural light to paint so one wall may be replaced with those folding glass doors (another future project to save for!). It may all just be pie in the sky, but it is nice to dream.
    Barclaycard 326/2532
    Wedding payment 0/4600 due 01/10/18
    • Perryface
    • By Perryface 19th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Perryface
    I haven't updated in 9 days.... Naughty naughty!

We have been eating out quite a bit this month and need to sort ourselves out!

I have bought Mother's Day presents too. Two of which need to be posted. I have £34 in my bank account until 24/3 but will not be needing any of it....fingers crossed. We have £40+ (haven't counted) in our money jar (left over from monthly allowance for milk, bread, etc) which will also pay for mums day postage.

Soooo although we have been less frugal this month, we will be reigning it in now and still hope to be able to drop hubbys overdraft by £200 this month.

Next month should be back to normal as we only have our wedding anniversary to celebrate and we have a spa day voucher (Xmas pressie) we will use for that. We are going to make each other's anniversary cards this year! It may even become a tradition! We are 'allowed' to buy each other a £1 Easter egg as a present! Lol.

I have already bought and delivered Easter eggs to two of our 5 grandkids so just £3 more and we are done.

In other news.... My daughter is engaged and getting married in the Dominican Republic in October 2018. So there's an expense We were not budgeting for! Hubby and I have discussed it and have agreed to pay £1000 towards the wedding costs and we will look at prices of holidays to Dom Rep when they come out next month. 2017 prices are around £1800 each!

Sooooooo, provisional budgeting idea is to get out of hubbys o/d by October 2017 (£310 ish a month) then save for the wedding without going into debt. I will be adding the wedding payments to my signature and treating it like a debt.

As you can see, I am hoping for a miracle! Does anyone happen to have a villa in the Dom Rep you want to rent to me? Haha!
    Barclaycard 326/2532
    • Perryface
    • By Perryface 19th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Perryface
    Just checked hubby's o/d and he has accrued £80 in bank charged this month. Is there a way of paying off your o/d with a 0% credit card? These charges are killing any progress we make!

Edit: just done our own research and have now transferred the o/d to a 0% transfer credit card. This gives us 0% for 9 months which is more than doable!

Why didn't I think of this earlier... Idiot!
    Last edited by Perryface; 19-03-2017 at 9:12 AM.
    Barclaycard 326/2532
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,244Posts Today

7,197Users online

Martin's Twitter