Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Raspberry Queen
    • By Raspberry Queen 6th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 57Thanks
    Raspberry Queen
    Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery
    • 6th Dec 16, 7:36 PM
    Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery 6th Dec 16 at 7:36 PM
    Your chances of winning are very small.

Number of postcodes in the UK: 1,750,871 x 31.26% of postcodes registered =
    547322 people competing with you to win. In fact, it is higher than this, as there are often several people registered with each postcode. (They no longer give statistics for how many individuals are signed up to FPL, which is what you really need to work out your tiny chances of winning.)

If you are the only person registered with your postcode, and there are two chances to win big each day, you have a maximum of a 1 in 273661 chance of winning big each day (the chances are actually much less, given that more than one person is usually registered to each postcode).

273661 / 365.25 = a one in 749.243 chance of winning per year.

In other words, it would take the average player more than 749 years to win a decent amount on the free postcode lottery. And you may never win it at all!

The statistics for if you include the smaller chances to win (£10-£20+) are as follows. I'm not including the weekly Quidco draw as it would make it too complicated, the £5 flash ad draws as I don't quite know how they work, or the two bonus draws as it takes some time to build up enough bonus to unlock them). I'm counting the twice-daily stackpots as 10 chances to win (as there seems to be an average of about 5 spaces on the stack each time). That is approximately 14 chances to win each day.

547322 / 14 = 39094 (to the nearest whole number). So there is a maximum of 1 in 39094 chance to win each day. Divided by 365.25, that makes the yearly chance of winning 1 in 107.035.

In other words, it would take the average player (who is the only person registered at their postcode) more than 107 years to win something, even just a little prize.

I have decided to quit, and spend the time checking FPL doing something else instead. I am thinking of trying VoxPopMe when I set my new phone up. It is an app that pays you £0.25 for short review videos.

It took me about 4 minutes or more each day to check the results; if I spent 4 minutes every day, that's over 24 hours per year. If I instead spent 4 minutes every day making a VoxPopMe video, that would have earned me £91.25 over the year. In 2 years, I would be on £182.50 - more than you win in the survey draw, and about 747 years quicker than the average time it would take to win it on FPL!
Page 2
    • Chesapeake
    • By Chesapeake 29th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Chesapeake
    My other half won £10 the other week which isn't bad for a few minutes work.

I play the usual lottery, I reckon £10 in exchange for the chance to win £157million is better odds than anything else!
    • jacobsdaduk
    • By jacobsdaduk 11th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    jacobsdaduk
    The OP's maths here are slightly flawed. As others have said, it's free, unlike the Lottery or Health Lottery.

My friend won £1000 last week, so it's worth it in my opinion.
    Happy with my advice? The please use the 'thanks' button vvvvvvvvvvvvv
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 6,773 Posts
    • 48,150 Thanks
    kerri gt
    If I found a tenner in the street I'd be happy (obv if I saw who dropped it I'd return it) and if I win on this for free then I'll be equally happy, I'm quite sure many of us spend more than a few mins browsing sites that add no particular value to our lives each day so a min or so to check FPL is no skin off my nose.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 16th Jan 18, 10:14 AM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    I won £100 just before Christmas, which added to my £23 bonus was a lovely surprise. Not life-changing, but since it's free I'm certainly not complaining
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 16th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 35,909 Posts
    • 237,783 Thanks
    mjm3346
    They have now paid out over £544,000 not bad for something you don't pay any cash to enter.
    Last edited by mjm3346; 16-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Internet goodness £23905
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,945Users online

Martin's Twitter