Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Dec 16, 7:26 PM
    • 21,597Posts
    • 85,304Thanks
    Davesnave
    Conservatory fitting issue
    • 6th Dec 16, 7:26 PM
    Conservatory fitting issue 6th Dec 16 at 7:26 PM
    I'm not having much luck at present.

On and off through the year I've been preparing for the fitting of a new combined conservatory/porch, which was sold to us in January.

The specs were modified in September when the surveyor made his site visit prior to manufacture, but nothing was changed after that, except the price!

We agreed a number of changes, and in the absence of a written spec, I supplied an annotated final drawing based on the rather small ones sent to me by email.

The fitters turned-up last week and within a few hours they'd put in a sill which neither my builder nor I were happy with. It appears that the surveyor made an error, having the sill made as one piece, when there was a change of level clearly shown in the plans.

Their solution to this was to make a cut and the result is shown in the photo below:

As I understand it, the fitters intend to put an end cap over the cut end and "it will look fine." There was no discussion with me prior to him taking this decision.

picture share

The builder and myself have both queried this and said we're not happy, but the fitter has maintained that this is what had to be done: a different arrangement wouldn't shed water properly.

I feel I'm being blinded with science (or BS!) here, so I've put the picture up for commentsfrom those familiar with UPVC window fitting etc.

Meanwhile, the roof has gone on.....but there's another panel in the conservatory part that's Pete Tong as well, so we may be seeing the surveyor tomorrow.

Do we (can we) ask for a change here? Unlike the other item I've recently sought help with, I haven't paid for this yet!

What would you do?
    Last edited by Davesnave; 06-12-2016 at 9:03 PM.
    I used to suffer with kleptomania, but now I take something for it.
Page 5
    • Furts
    • By Furts 15th Mar 17, 10:17 AM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    Furts
    You and me have problems with conservatories.

I can only reiterate what I always say and hope Money Saving followers take heed. The conservatory industry is a huge, unregulated industry. It sails so close to the wind that is barely possible to differentiate between those that are sound and those that are are cowboys. It is an industry stuffed full with dodgy characters, spivs, and charlatans.

Any consumer wanting a conservatory needs to consider exactly what they are entering into. It truly defines the concept of "Buyer Beware".
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Mar 17, 7:26 AM
    • 21,597 Posts
    • 85,304 Thanks
    Davesnave

Any consumer wanting a conservatory needs to consider exactly what they are entering into. It truly defines the concept of "Buyer Beware".
    Originally posted by Furts
    This thread is more or less dead now, but when these issues are done & dusted, I'll start a new one and put the company name into it.

My latest piece of news is that the GGF are unable to assist at present, as their conciliation officer is off sick.

They have just the one?

That title is going to get tricky if I have to put the GGF into it as well!
    • Furts
    • By Furts 18th Mar 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    Furts
    Remain savvy and keep yours wits about you.

It is worrying that matters have progressed this far. Remember who funds the GGF and do not expect the report to be fair and reasonable. It could be thus if you get your procedures in place! A reputable witness, is one step towards this as is minuting and recording/submitting this before the report gets written.

However without an expert report you are fighting a difficult, if not impossible, battle.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 18th Mar 17, 9:57 AM
    • 21,597 Posts
    • 85,304 Thanks
    Davesnave

However without an expert report you are fighting a difficult, if not impossible, battle.
    Originally posted by Furts
    This is my problem, I'm afraid. Who do I go to?

It's all very well saying that, but I presume I need someone who knows the industry and who isn't a member of the GGF. Is that correct?

I'm out here in the sticks, in Devon, and I've no idea how to locate such an individual. I think the'yd have been here by now if I did!

Any pointers?
    • Furts
    • By Furts 19th Mar 17, 6:46 AM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    Furts
    Nobody will coming knocking as an expert, as you have found. I once used an expert to contest with a GGF based case. I won, but the irritation was I supplied all the info for the expert, and steered them in the right direction. However, they would argue they knew all this anyway.

A reasonable punt would be an experienced Clerk Of Works. But bear in mind you are working with a smoke and mirrors concept (a conservatory) and a smoke and mirrors industry. Equally, 99.9% of consumers have little, or no, interest in work being undertaken properly. Consequently supply and demand applies. There are few Clerks of Works because there are few people prepared to engage one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,051Posts Today

6,671Users online

Martin's Twitter