Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MadHatter752
    • By MadHatter752 3rd Dec 16, 3:10 PM
    • 53Posts
    • 35Thanks
    MadHatter752
    VCS/BW Legal - writing witness statement
    • 3rd Dec 16, 3:10 PM
    VCS/BW Legal - writing witness statement 3rd Dec 16 at 3:10 PM
    Hello

After a week of reading through threads on this forum (including the newbie sticky) to find an answer to my predicament I am finally at my wits end and having to start my own thread... sorry to anyone annoyed by this but the wealth of information is baffling and I cannot waste anymore time reading things I don't understand and getting more confused! So THANK YOU to everyone who reads and helps.

So... in October 2014 a ticket was put on the car i am the registered keeper of in a free train station car park, informing the driver that they were "parked beyond the bay markings". The PCN was issued by Vehicle Control Services Ltd.

Debt Recovery Plus Ltd appear to have become involved and I have received numerous letters from them. Upon receipts of letters from DRP I read lots of threads on this forum which I thought advised me to ignore. I have therefore not appealed or had any contact with VCS or DRP.

On 21st November, I received a letter from bw Legal entitled a "Letter of Claim" which I understand is another name for Letter before Action, asking me to pay the payment or detail grounds for dispute by 7th December, hence why I am getting a bit panicky... my time is running out to reply to this.

They mention what I gather is all the usual stuff re County Court Proceedings could be issued, Parking Eye vs Beavis, CCJs.

I know I have to reply to this letter as it is from the Solicitors and I have drafted the below. Is this sufficient for now? Is there anything else I can use to get them to stop hassling me. Also, some are saying send registered post, others saying email... what is the recommendation please?

Thank you!!!

Ref: VCS/******************

Dear BWLegal,

Further to your letter dated 21 November, I am writing to confirm that I amthe registered keeper of the vehicle in question, however I deny any debt toVCS Ltd.

Your letter dated 21 November, refers to a letter dated 21 November whichyou have not received a response from. Pleasenote, this is the first letter I have received from yourselves.

In order to respond fully to yourclaims, I should be grateful if you could issue a letter that fully meets therequirements of the Practice Direction for pre-action conduct andprotocols.

I am disappointed in your breaches of the Solicitors Code of Conduct inrelation to your attempt to use a third party’s lack of legal knowledge to yourown advantage.

I also note your misrepresentation of the consequences of an adversejudgement. You are in breach of Chapter 11 of the Solicitors Code of Conduct,specifically (Indicative Behaviours) IB 11.7 and 11.8.

I shall be making contact with the Solicitors Regulatory Authority inrelation to your threats of court proceeding, CCJs and your mention of ParkingEye Limited vs Beavis (2015) UKSC. I findyour letter very intimidating and unprofessional.

Furthermore, as a member of the Credit Services Association and thereforesignatory to their codes of practice, BWLegal is inbreach of several of these codes. As the debt is disputed continuedcorrespondence from yourselves will be seen as a further breach of that COP.

Yours Faithfully"

Cc: SRA
    Last edited by MadHatter752; 13-03-2017 at 8:46 PM.
Page 4
    • MadHatter752
    • By MadHatter752 24th Feb 17, 12:18 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    MadHatter752
    ah man

My understanding is that I will get some paperwork from the Court next and I can request it is switched to a nearby court, is that correct.

really really dont want to have to go to a hearing!!
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 24th Feb 17, 1:49 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Lamilad
    ah man

My understanding is that I will get some paperwork from the Court next and I can request it is switched to a nearby court, is that correct.

really really dont want to have to go to a hearing!!
    Originally posted by MadHatter752
    You'll receive the directions questionnaire (DQ) soon. MCOL will update when this is sent out. This is where you state that you want the case to be heard in your local court. You must make sure the DQ is returned to the court and served on the claimant before the deadline.
    • MadHatter752
    • By MadHatter752 2nd Mar 17, 5:37 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    MadHatter752
    Got the DQ today... woohoo not!

I am thinking of postponing sending it back for a week or so as i want any hearing to be once I have more time to prepare everything! Obviously it will be back before the required date though. Do I send a copy to VCS AND BW Legal? The claimant is listed as VCS with no mention of BW Legal?

Should I be keeping a note of the cost of posting these copies?
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 2nd Mar 17, 8:36 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Lamilad
    Got the DQ today... woohoo not!

I am thinking of postponing sending it back for a week or so as i want any hearing to be once I have more time to prepare everything! Obviously it will be back before the required date though.
    Delaying your DQ won't make any difference, your several weeks, possibly months away from a hearing yet.

Do I send a copy to VCS AND BW Legal? The claimant is listed as VCS with no mention of BW Legal?
    you need to serve a copy on BWL. Don't waste a stamp, scan and email it to
    Disputeresolution@bwlegal.co.uk

Should I be keeping a note of the cost of posting these copies?
    No, but get a receipt as proof of posting - free with 1st class post.
    • MadHatter752
    • By MadHatter752 10th Mar 17, 6:39 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    MadHatter752
    I received the copy of the DQ from Bw Legal today... under witnesses to be used they stated TBC... are they allowed to do that?
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 10th Mar 17, 6:52 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Lamilad
    I received the copy of the DQ from Bw Legal today... under witnesses to be used they stated TBC... are they allowed to do that?
    They always put that. It's not right but they'll get away with it. Highly unlikely they'll involve any other witnesses but if they did you could argue that they should have stated this at DQ stage.
    • MadHatter752
    • By MadHatter752 10th Mar 17, 7:24 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    MadHatter752
    Thanks

They have also said yes to mitigation... do they always do that do you know? I have said no.
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 10th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Lamilad
    Thanks

They have also said yes to mitigation... do they always do that do you know?
    If you mean 'mediation' then, yes, always

I have said no.
    Correct! You intend to pay them nothing so what is there to 'mediate'?
    • MadHatter752
    • By MadHatter752 10th Mar 17, 9:26 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    MadHatter752
    Yes I did mean mediation :-) I thought it didn't sound right but didn't have the form with me!!
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 10th Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 4,805 Posts
    • 5,918 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Yes I did mean mediation :-) I thought it didn't sound right but didn't have the form with me!!
    It would appear that those in the mediation service are clueless to the parking scam. Their job is to avoid court if they can.
    For BWLegal it saves them money but read between the lines, if BWLegal were confident of a win, they would want to go to court.
    BWLegal are aware of the lack of knowledge of the mediation service and are exploiting them for an artificial win in their favour.

Every parking case must be heard in front of a judge and as we are now seeing, the judges do not take too kindly to BWLegal

NO TO MEDIATION
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • MadHatter752
    • By MadHatter752 13th Mar 17, 8:58 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    MadHatter752
    So I've spent a few hours tonight looking through threads/posts with Witness Statements on and finding photos/transcripts etc... a couple of questions to start me off if I may....

1) I only replied to correspondence from BW legal when I was issued with a Letter of Claim... do I mention this in the WS? The fact that any previous letters were ignored features in the transcript for EXCEL PARKING SERVICES LIMITED-v MR IAN LAMOUREUX.

I didnt appeal the PCN directly or to POPLA as ignorance would have it

2)Because of the above... I have no idea what they are basing their claim on i.e. whether they are using POFA 2012 which I feel is something major in my defence as it hasn't been mentioned in any correspondence between us. When will I find out what they are basing their case on? Do I have to wait for their WS, which they could submit late, therefore meaning that I would have to submit mine without seeing theirs? I just don't really feel like I have much to go off at the moment in terms of writing my WS.

3) How do I relate my WS to my defence? Do i use the defence I submitted as a basis for mentioning points in my WS?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to receiving your help as ever. Reading through other threads highlights even more what a good job you all do.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 44,299 Posts
    • 57,011 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    i.e. whether they are using POFA 2012
    VCS never attempted to use the POFA, ever, between Summer 2014 and December 2016. So you KNOW that any NTK issued then said: 'we assume you were the driver' which is a pile of rubbish, as exposed by Lamilad who posts here (and who is Mr Lamoureux in the case transcript), as well as in other VCS cases galore.

How do I relate my WS to my defence? Do I use the defence I submitted as a basis for mentioning points in my WS?
    No, it shoudn't really include legal arguments (that is for the skeleton argument if you submit one or take one with you). The WS should be a statement of the facts, such as that the driver didn't see signs (if true), etc., any details that assist your case; when letters were received, the fact you have never received a POFA-complaint NTK capable of holding you liable.

The difference between a WS and a skeleton is covered in post #2 of the NEWBIES thread, with linked examples.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• MadHatter752
    • By MadHatter752 21st Mar 17, 7:35 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    MadHatter752
    Thanks CM - I had read the Newbies thread but still struggle to get my head around everything!

I sent my DQ off last Tuesday 1st Class - 14th March. Just checked MCOL and it wasn't updated that it was received until 20th March.... my deadline was 17th!! So it looks like i didn't return it in time for the deadline but I left three days! MCOL also says it has been transferred to my local court which is good for me.

Anything I should do regarding the late date?

Thanks
    MH752
    • Lamilad
    • By Lamilad 21st Mar 17, 8:58 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Lamilad
    Thanks CM - I had read the Newbies thread but still struggle to get my head around everything!

I sent my DQ off last Tuesday 1st Class - 14th March. Just checked MCOL and it wasn't updated that it was received until 20th March.... my deadline was 17th!! So it looks like i didn't return it in time for the deadline but I left three days! MCOL also says it has been transferred to my local court which is good for me.

Anything I should do regarding the late date?

Thanks
    MH752
    From what I've read on other posts CCBC don't seem to be too bothered if the DQ arrives a little late. Besides, if you have a receipt for postage then, in law, you document is deemed 'received' 2 days later. If the case has been transferred then everything is progressing as it should
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,792Posts Today

5,097Users online

Martin's Twitter