Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mr.milo
    • By mr.milo 2nd Dec 16, 11:28 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    mr.milo
    BT haggling woes
    • 2nd Dec 16, 11:28 AM
    BT haggling woes 2nd Dec 16 at 11:28 AM
    I have been a loyal customer with BT infinity for the past six years,
    I have never phoned up to haggle a new price.
    BT have even sent me letters saying they can give me a saving.

So today after reading Martin's haggling advice, phoned up BT leaving line. After 15 mins on hold, a lady answered, she was not very easy to haggle with at all. To cut a long phone call short, she offered me £10 savings, I am paying £60 a month for infinity 76mb and inclusive calls.
    She was not willing to give out a new router, unless I pay full for it.
    When I started to say, actually I am going to leave, she just went on for ages about how, I might never be able to get back on, due to running out of room.
    Is £10 a month saving any good?Should I just shup up and take the discount?

Sorry for the ramble, but the operator was so matter of fact, there was no room for barter at all.
    Kind Regards Milo
Page 3
    • johnbhoy10
    • By johnbhoy10 18th Jan 17, 9:54 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    johnbhoy10
    Just off phone to them a while ago-

Line Rental £18.99
    Entertainment Plus £10.00
    Kids Extra £4.00
    Access to Kids channels plus on demand

Entertainment Plus discount for 24 months £-5.00
    Broadband and Calls £26.00
    Yet to discover BT TV? See bt.com/bttv for a great TV service
    Special offer discount £-19.00
    Your special offer discount lasts for 24 months

Total ongoing charges for this order £34.99

probaby go for this...BUT 24 months and i know what i'm getting into. I have yet another ongoing fault and if they don't sort my speeds and outages out they're getting sacked plus i've got 14 days cooling too.

Sky couldn't compete and were approx 15 bucks more for a lesser package but a better customer service (not hard to be honest) in my opinion.

ps- i still can't decide whether BT or Npower are the absolute worst company ever to exist. mmmm.....it's a really close call. must be 15 years since i've being with Npower and i'm still scarred.
    Last edited by johnbhoy10; 19-01-2017 at 12:15 AM. Reason: .
    • johnbhoy10
    • By johnbhoy10 22nd Jan 17, 3:05 PM
    • 372 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    johnbhoy10
    Just off phone to them a while ago-

Line Rental £18.99
    Entertainment Plus £10.00
    Kids Extra £4.00
    Access to Kids channels plus on demand

Entertainment Plus discount for 24 months £-5.00
    Broadband and Calls £26.00
    Yet to discover BT TV? See bt.com/bttv for a great TV service
    Special offer discount £-19.00
    Your special offer discount lasts for 24 months

Total ongoing charges for this order £34.99

probaby go for this...BUT 24 months and i know what i'm getting into. I have yet another ongoing fault and if they don't sort my speeds and outages out they're getting sacked plus i've got 14 days cooling too.

Sky couldn't compete and were approx 15 bucks more for a lesser package but a better customer service (not hard to be honest) in my opinion.

ps- i still can't decide whether BT or Npower are the absolute worst company ever to exist. mmmm.....it's a really close call. must be 15 years since i've being with Npower and i'm still scarred.
    Originally posted by johnbhoy10

looks like it's going to be £41 now with recent increases to fibre and line rental i've being reading about....ahh well still quite a bit more on offer for about a tenner less than Sky.

ps-sorry increase is for BT Sport i believe and not line rental.
    Last edited by johnbhoy10; 22-01-2017 at 3:12 PM. Reason: ps
    • bribri
    • By bribri 26th Jan 17, 8:21 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    bribri
    I've just renewed with BT
    £27.99 broadband infinity 1 (50mb or so) unlimited - so no cap
    This includes line rental and weekend calls.
    I have taken 12 months but could have had 24 months.

It was better than the offer to new joiners and slightly cheaper than EE.
    • Folding_stars
    • By Folding_stars 28th Jan 17, 3:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Folding_stars
    I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum as was coming to end of contract with both sky for TV and BT for broadband.

I called BT on 3 separate occasions today looking for best price for our package (BT infinity 1 unlimited and BT sport on our sky box).
    1st offer was £38 per month, told that was 'best possible price'. This was her coming down from initial offer of £49, then £45, then £42. She was friendly and helpful but price wasn't good enough.
    2nd time I called, the customer advisor was not as helpful, only gave one offer of £42 and told there was nothing else she could do.
    Third time I phoned up the number given earlier in this thread and said I wanted to cancel. Got an offer of £27.99 for broadband and £3.75 for BT sports - so £31.74 in total. (This includes upcoming price rises).

I just wanted to post my experiences to show it really does depend who you talk to as 3 times in the one day I was given totally different offers. I think it helped that the last time I phoned up to cancel rather than just explore renewal options.
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 29th Jan 17, 9:47 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    I phoned BT yesterday to say I wanted to leave due to the price increases, at the moment I pay £32 for standard unlimited broadband and any time calls. The best deal they could offer was £35, so think I'll be walking.
    • CheekyMonkey
    • By CheekyMonkey 7th Feb 17, 7:19 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    CheekyMonkey
    Contract has expired and package cost has increased dramatically after factoring in the previous £250 cash back and £125 gift card offer that I got originally.
    Spoke to BT last night and was offered:-

Broadband Infinity 2, Anytime Calls & Ultra HD Package - £69.49
    FREE Smart Hub & FREE Ultra HD box + £9.99 delivery
    FREE BT Sports & FREE HD Extra for duration of contract
    Line Rental Included
    24 month contract – no increase in price

Still think its expensive, but better than what's available online at BT for existing and new customers (excluding cashback and gift card offers).

The price breakdown seems to be:-
    Infinity 2 £28.00, Total Entertainment (TV) £14.00, Line Rental £18.99 and Anytime Calls £8.50.

Has anyone had a better offer?
    Some days you're the bird......and some days you're the statue
    • Marcio45
    • By Marcio45 7th Feb 17, 11:49 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Marcio45
    God that is expensive.
    If you can have Virgin in your area there a very good current deal:
    Limited edition full house package
    For £55 on a year contract you can get
    200mb internet
    Full package TV, plus cinema (no Sky sports), but includes BT Sports, with a V6 box.
    And landline with weekend calls.
    What you will be paying to BT is very expensive in my view for what is on offer
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 8th Feb 17, 7:33 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    Taken from the live chat I just had with BT, I like their tactics, they have to remove parts of my current package to make it seem cheaper, Oh and I get a free Hub.

I can see that you are eligible for Bespoke offers you can get unlimited standard broadband with unlimited weekend calls at £26.99 it is a 18 month contract.
    david: I would need anytime calls
    Surya Naga Manikanta Siva Kuma: And you can get free hub too.
    Surya Naga Manikanta Siva Kuma: Unlimited any time calls we will £8.50
    david: How much would the total be?
    Surya Naga Manikanta Siva Kuma: It is £35.49
    david: Yes thats more expensive than I am paying now, not much of an offer. The same is available on EE 18 months for £30
    Surya Naga Manikanta Siva Kuma: You will get free hub
    david: I already have a hub 4

After that I am told to contact customer options team
    • CheekyMonkey
    • By CheekyMonkey 8th Feb 17, 11:32 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    CheekyMonkey
    God that is expensive.
    If you can have Virgin in your area there a very good current deal:
    Limited edition full house package
    For £55 on a year contract you can get
    200mb internet
    Full package TV, plus cinema (no Sky sports), but includes BT Sports, with a V6 box.
    And landline with weekend calls.
    What you will be paying to BT is very expensive in my view for what is on offer
    Originally posted by Marcio45

£55 including Line Rental?
    Some days you're the bird......and some days you're the statue
    • Marcio45
    • By Marcio45 8th Feb 17, 11:44 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Marcio45
    Hi cheekymonkey,
    Yes with landline.
    I was surprised with the low price as i had before the big kahuna (200mb internet, full tv and landline) and was paying over £70.
    With this offer you even get movies on top.
    Naturally, after a year the price goes up, but time again to haggle. And its only a year contract.
    I tried to look on their website but not working now. It was on the new costumers offers.
    Ah, and dont forget to get cashback with Quidco, currently £220
    • TheCraigClan
    • By TheCraigClan 10th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TheCraigClan
    Infinity 1 Unlimited
    I got Infinity when it first came to our area, and was a 12 month Infinity 2 package because I need uncapped/unshaped data. Fast forward almost 18 months and Virgin has been installed outside, and the only service they have that I could use is the uncapped/unshaped Vivid 200 Gamer at £50 per month. I called BT, eventually put through to Customer Options Team (call direct on 150) and after a bit of haggling was offered Infinity 2 for £41.49/month on and 18 month contract. I went away to think about it...

Last night I discovered that they now sell Infinity 1 Unlimited! Doh! I had no idea this existed. In truth I've only ever had Infinity 1 speeds (45/9 at best), but I needed unlimited data. It's slightly annoying that they've never suggested this product before as they now the speeds I normally get and the data I use

So armed with this info I called 150 this morning and after an amicable and pleasant chat with South Shields I was offered Infinity 1 Unlimited on a 12 month contract for £27.99 (inc LR and unlimited w/e calls). That's cheaper than they offer to new customers and I see a few people earlier on this three have already got this deal.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 10th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    stockton
    I got Infinity when it first came to our area, and was a 12 month Infinity 2 package because I need uncapped/unshaped data. Fast forward almost 18 months and Virgin has been installed outside, and the only service they have that I could use is the uncapped/unshaped Vivid 200 Gamer at £50 per month. I called BT, eventually put through to Customer Options Team (call direct on 150) and after a bit of haggling was offered Infinity 2 for £41.49/month on and 18 month contract. I went away to think about it...

Last night I discovered that they now sell Infinity 1 Unlimited! Doh! I had no idea this existed. In truth I've only ever had Infinity 1 speeds (45/9 at best), but I needed unlimited data. It's slightly annoying that they've never suggested this product before as they now the speeds I normally get and the data I use

So armed with this info I called 150 this morning and after an amicable and pleasant chat with South Shields I was offered Infinity 1 Unlimited on a 12 month contract for £27.99 (inc LR and unlimited w/e calls). That's cheaper than they offer to new customers and I see a few people earlier on this three have already got this deal.
    Originally posted by TheCraigClan
    Does this include BT Sports?
    • editor1
    • By editor1 10th Mar 17, 12:21 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    editor1

Originally posted by TheCraigClan
    Craig,

New customers to BT Infinity 1 not only get a £150 MasterCard payment, but if you sign-up via TopCashBack or Quidco, you get a further £100 back, I worked this out on another thread earlier this week - suffice to say, new customers are paying far less than you for the same package - same applies to me, I signed up to MSE Sky deal in early Jan at £12 a month, only to see it offered at a lower price this week, still, after all offers we are paying the grand total of £16 pm for ASDL2 BB and unlimited phone.
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 10th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    micky2phones
    I have been a loyal customer with BT infinity for the past six years,
    I have never phoned up to haggle a new price.
    BT have even sent me letters saying they can give me a saving.

So today after reading Martin's haggling advice, phoned up BT leaving line. After 15 mins on hold, a lady answered, she was not very easy to haggle with at all. To cut a long phone call short, she offered me £10 savings, I am paying £60 a month for infinity 76mb and inclusive calls.
    She was not willing to give out a new router, unless I pay full for it.
    When I started to say, actually I am going to leave, she just went on for ages about how, I might never be able to get back on, due to running out of room.
    Is £10 a month saving any good?Should I just shup up and take the discount?

Sorry for the ramble, but the operator was so matter of fact, there was no room for barter at all.
    Kind Regards Milo
    Originally posted by mr.milo
    Hi, i was the same as you loyal to BT, did get good discounts each year.

In 2015, i worked out what i wanted to pay for my service and could afford. I just phoned them up and said can i renew my contract, im not going to mess about i would like x amount off.

Yes it worked have you tried this ?

Last year i changed to Sky and got a better deal than BT would give me.
    • TheCraigClan
    • By TheCraigClan 10th Mar 17, 4:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TheCraigClan
    No, just broadband, line rental and unlimited weekend calls.
    • TheCraigClan
    • By TheCraigClan 10th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TheCraigClan
    Sure, that's new customers.
    Personally I'm just going on the current offer of £29.49 online for new customers.
    I don't expect to get all the fee stuff as an existing customer.
    • Al Ross
    • By Al Ross 10th Mar 17, 7:48 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Al Ross
    As I've already said on this site, I managed to haggle on three separate BT accounts for Infinity 1, line rental and weekend calls included for £25.99.
    Mine (I also managed to get a free latest BT hub included free as well.
    My son's (He manages to keep BT Sport free for another 24 months as well). and a flat I rent out as well.

So for each account I had to phone, spoke to 3 different blokes. Each time I phoned and told them I had my email about the price rise and that I was about to move over to Plusnet as I could get the same deal from them for £25.00 a month. They will try to talk you out but be persistent and they will offer you Infinity 1 for £25.99 or Infinity 2 for £33.49, these include line rental and free weekend calls.

All 3 accounts are on 24 month contracts at that price,should the price rise during that time,I am free to leave or haggle a new deal.
    Last edited by Al Ross; 10-03-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 10th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    mac.d
    I've previously posted my experience of trying to get a deal with BT, and it wasn't much fun. It appears some people are lucky, they just phone up and manage to get a good price, but just because it worked for you (even more than once), doesn't mean everyone else will automatically get a good deal.

I had to phone a few times before getting a deal, despite telling them I was leaving. The first person just told me they couldn't match the offer. I did get the deal I wanted the second time I phoned, but then had to call them back as I didn't get the confirmation emails I was supposed to. I had to speak to another four people before I got it sorted, the first put me through to a manager who I wish I had recorded he was so unhelpful, the third person I spoke to insisted I couldn't have been offered Infinity for £10 as it wasn't possible to get a reduction to less than £20, and finally the fourth person managed to sort it for me.

It was a huge hassle, and next year I will probably just leave BT to save myself the bother of going through it all again!
    • BreconBlodwin
    • By BreconBlodwin 11th Mar 17, 12:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    BreconBlodwin
    BT being stubborn with me through a couple of calls but have started calling me now. Maybe because I have not taken their bait. I think we could reach an agreement, have a little time.
    • TheCraigClan
    • By TheCraigClan 11th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TheCraigClan
    Infinity 1, line rental and weekend calls included for £25.99.
    Originally posted by Al Ross
    Is that Infinity 1 Unlimited or just Infinity 1?
    Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

8,592Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin