No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries December 2016

Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to mrs-moneypenny for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
August 2015
September 2015
October 2015
November 2015
December 2015
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016
May 2016
June 2016
[URL=”http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5487158”]July 2016[/URL]
August 2016
September 2016
October 2016
November 2016

Comments

• Gemzie121
    Gemzie121 Posts: 668
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 January 2017 at 4:54AM
    Count me in again. Going ro be a big pp list as ive several things nearly empty and loads of christmassy scented bits i have got out to use.

PP list for december:
    [STRIKE]1. I love... Cherry almond sparkle shower gel mini[/STRIKE]
    2. TBS frosted plum body butter 200ml
    [STRIKE]3. Lush pearl massage bar[/STRIKE]
    4. Lush snowcake shower gel 250g
    5. Lush hot toddy shower gel 100g
    6. Lush snow fairy shower gel 250g
    7. Lush rub rub rub body scrub
    8. Crabtree & evelyn honey & coriander citron hand cream 30ml
    [STRIKE]9. Glitzy glam Berry bliss body scrub[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]10. Forever friends vintage body lotion 100ml[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11. Loreal elvive conditioner[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]12. Timotei colour shampoo
    13. Timotei colour conditioner[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]14. Dove intensive repair hair mask[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]15. Sainsburys tea tree 2 in 1 shampoo[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]16. Beauticology vanilla foot lotion[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]17. Tesco raspberry & red berries shower gel[/STRIKE]
    18. Lush santas belly shower jelly 100g
    [STRIKE]19. Lidl cien hot pink deodorant spray[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]20. Wilko dark plum & sugared rose roll on deodorant
    21. Sensodyne toothpaste
    22. Medex Fruity fresh mouthwash[/STRIKE]
    23. Superdrug seduce body spray
    24. Lush gorgeous moisturiser 10ml
    [STRIKE]25. Boots essentials fragrance free facial wash[/STRIKE]
    26. OPI apple pie spice hand & body lotion 30ml
    [STRIKE]27. Ghost original eau de toilette 30ml [/STRIKE]
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2015/2016/2017/2018

UUs for 2016: 513 In's: 447 UUs for 2017: 207 Ins: 161
    UUs for 2018: In's:
    Self Confessed Lush Addict!
  • getmyacttogether2016
    getmyacttogether2016 Posts: 276
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2016 at 10:44PM
    Morning all

I'm in again this month

December PP (virtually same as November)

Clarins one step facial cleanser 200ml
    Elemis jasmine and rose hand & nail cream 20ml
    Decleor phytopeel 15ml
    Kiehls eye alert 15ml
    Aveda botanical kinetics hydrating lotion 150ml
    Gatineau defi lift 3d lip care 10ml
    Clinique long last glosswear full size
    Maxfactor lip liner in pink petal
    Dolce body lotion 100ml
    Alpha H liquid gold 200ml
    Boots classic musk body spray 75ml
    Boss orange eau de parfum 75ml
    Boss orange body lotion 100ml
    Boots foot scrub

Wrap up warm as there is a good frost out there.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • Yay new thread! I'm in process of getting ready for work (ergo sat in bed putting off getting up) so will do a PP later on.
  • December PP list:

Ren Rose Centrifolia cleanser
    Burts Bees lip balm
    Elizabeth Arden 8hr Creme
    Trilogy night creme
    Aveda dry shampoo
    Chanel coco noir
    Boots handcreme
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 9/53 UU, 3 IN
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,971
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    good morning all, keep warm and safe, heavy frost here,

bingbong - thank you for the new thread, I will do my scores on the doors and new PP list when I come back from the PT (hoping OH will take pity on me and de-ice the car:D)

I went to the bedroom stash drawer the other day and couldn't believe how much stuff I have, quite sobering really, problem stems from illness over the last year (much better than I was:j) and just doing the bare minimum to keep my skin looking OK, not using a good night routine, just a slick of moisturiser and hand and body lotions hardly being used. Really must do better:o, I think I ought to set an alarm for sometime in the evening and make myself do the job properly (I am really good in the mornings), I have no excuse as the house is nice and warm, and once supper is done I have plenty of time for myself.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the new thread Deleted_User.

My PP list for December

1. Sally Hansen Radiant Hands Hand Cream
    2. Soap & Glory Gloss Stick Pink-a-boo
    3. Avon Dark Orchid & Raspberry Bubble Bath
    4. Yardley Royal Diamond EDT
    5. Garnier 7 Day Shea Moisturiser
    6. Elemis PCMC
    7. LRP Effacler Duo
    8. Sanctuary Spa Facial Oil
    9. Rituals White Lotus Hand Scrub
    10. Body Shop Sweet Lemon Lip Butter
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,491
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks for starting us off Deleted_User

My PP list for this month is:
    Bioderma Sensibio Light
    Nivea Soft - I've been using this as a hand cream to try and use it up before I open one of my new hand creams.
    Superdrug Moisturising Little Blue Stick lip balm
    Superdrug Dragonfruit & Vanilla shower cream
    Avon Care Cocoa Butter body lotion
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm in for 5 by Christmas, hoping to get a few more items gone before Christmas, will have a lot of ins this month with Advent Calendars and Christmas, so hoping to get some long haul items gone.

Carry over from 7 by Autumn - 4 left now UU 1 item in October

1 - Benefit Fake up Concealer Full sized - Hate this
    2 - Benefit Watts Up Highlighter sample 2.5g. - Prefer Powder highlighter
    6- Urban Decay Eye Shadows, 505/50 from Naked on the run palette just remaining round the edges and in the corners
    7 - Crabtree & Evelyn Avocado, Olive & Basil Body Lotion 250ml. Almost there

5 by Christmas list - Only 2 items left

1 - TA OPI mini polish - OPI Baby Please come home TA
    2 - Urban Decay one & Done - not yet finished
    3 - UU- 3 Lancôme sample Day Creams UU plus 2 GA's
    4 - 1 Travel size Body lotion - Once the Crabtree & Evelyn one is gone would like to try and continue using Body lotion. I think UU a travel size is manageable
    5 - UU - 1 Urban Decay eye shadow - - UU Skimp Eye Shadow from the Gwen Stefani Palette.

I've hit pan on yet another shadow so there is movement there, I may have a lot of them but at least I have evidence that they are going down.
  • SophieLoui23
    SophieLoui23 Posts: 198
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 January 2017 at 7:52AM
    Thanks for starting Deleted_User.

I'm in again this month but I'm away from next week so I'm planning on creating two lists. Then I will cross out the ones that have been used up as and when I get a chance.

To be used up before I go (nearly empty):
    1. Dermalogica Overnight Clearing Gel
    2. No7 Soft and Soothed Toner
    3. Liz Earle Eyebright
    [STRIKE]4. Palmers Cocoa Butter Concentrated Cream[/STRIKE] UU
    [STRIKE]5. This Works Sleep Spray Mini[/STRIKE] UU
    [STRIKE]6. Nair Sensitive Hair Removal Cream[/STRIKE] UU
    7. Nair Hair Removal Cream
    8. Clarins Hydraquench Tinted Moisturizer Sample
    9. Rimmel Lasting Finish Primer Sample
    10. Garnier Ultra Lift Day Cream Sample
    [STRIKE]11. Tresemme Straightening Balm Sample[/STRIKE] UU
    12. Liz Earle Skin Tonic
    13. St Moriz Tanning Mousse
    [STRIKE]14. Alberto Balsam Raspberry Shampoo[/STRIKE] UU
    [STRIKE]15. Hotel Shampoo Mini[/STRIKE] UU
    16. Bathing Flowers
    17. Bath Bomb
    18. Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in 130
    19. Crest Toothpaste
    [STRIKE]20. Elemis Ultra Conditioning Lip Balm[/STRIKE] UU
    [STRIKE]21. Loreal Elvive Clay Mask Sample[/STRIKE] UU

To take away with me (half used or new):
    1. Rimmel Scandal Eyes Mascara
    2. La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo +
    3. Rimmel BB Cream in Medium
    4. HD Brows in Foxy
    5. Maybelline Dream Matte Blusher
    6. Vaseline in Rose
    7. Maybelline Infallible Face Powder
    8. Lady Million Travel Size EDT
    [STRIKE]9. Superdrug Sensitive Cleansing Wipes[/STRIKE]
    10. Herbal Essence Dry Shampoo
    [STRIKE]11. Alberto Balsam Raspberry Shampoo
    12. Alberto Balsam Raspberry Conditoner[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]13. Nivea Diamond Shower Cream[/STRIKE]
    14. Nails INC Express Nail Polish Remover
    15. Leighton Denny Nail Polish in Raspberry Affair
    16. Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Wear in 010
    17. Crest Toothpaste
    18. MAC lipstick in Please Me matte
    19. Garnier Invisible Deodorant
    20. Aloe Up Sunscreen Full Size
    [STRIKE]21. Aloe Up Suncreen Mini[/STRIKE] TA as the pot had melted shut!
    [STRIKE]22&23. Garnier Ultimate Blends Shampoo and Conditioner Samples[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]24. Pantene Breakage Defence Conditioner Sample
    25. Head and Shoulders Apple Fresh Shampoo Sample[/STRIKE]
    26. Garnier Pure Active Face Wash
    27. Rosie for Autograph EDP
    28. Aromatherapy Associates Orange Flower Hand Lotion
    29. Rimmel Mascara Scandal Eyes Waterproof
    30. Ciate Nail Polish in Prima Ballerina
    31. Aromatherapy Associates Eye Serum
    32. Aromatherapy Associates Lip Balm
    33. Colgate toothpaste mini

Will keep updating as I come across other items. Sorry about the long list! I know it looks like I'm packing everything inc the kitchen sink, but I'll be away for nearly a month and have smaller flights whilst I'm there so hand luggage only sizes will be required at times, hence the samples and minis.
  • Magpied
    Magpied Posts: 87
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've emerged from an MSE drought, and found myself overrun with toiletries again, stuff seems to work, then cause problems with irritation so get new stuff to try... so back in again...

I even decided not to get TBS advent calendar this year, as I've still got stuff from two years ago that I haven't got through, and the entire contents of TBS January sale stuff I bought hasn't been touched! It's still in it's bag! :embarasse
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2017 UU 6
    2017 declutter 32/2017 Roadkill £1.06 Wombling free/ Ys savings 2017 £320.89 2016 @ £141.25 Craft Stash 3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure