Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • avuncular
    • By avuncular 28th Nov 16, 4:38 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    avuncular
    First Utility Broadband -- any experiences good or bad?
    • 28th Nov 16, 4:38 PM
    First Utility Broadband -- any experiences good or bad? 28th Nov 16 at 4:38 PM
    This seems to a be a new offering of theirs and, as a First Utility gas/elec customer, they have a very competitive deal for me for Black Friday (ends 8-Dec).

However, I can't find out much about their broadband service online.

On the surface there seems to be unlimited downloads, no throttling.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge into their broadband service? Is there any reason to avoid them? What is the router like?

I've not had an issue with customer service in the two years I've been a utilities customer.

I'll post up some tariff details if anyone's interested. Thanks.

Edit: Prices can be found here.
    Last edited by avuncular; 29-11-2016 at 3:23 PM. Reason: Provided URL for tariffs.
Page 1
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 28th Nov 16, 5:34 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    anactuary
    • 28th Nov 16, 5:34 PM
    • 28th Nov 16, 5:34 PM

I'll post up some tariff details if anyone's interested. Thanks.
    Originally posted by avuncular
    Yes please.
    • macman
    • By macman 28th Nov 16, 10:10 PM
    • 41,425 Posts
    • 17,049 Thanks
    macman
    • 28th Nov 16, 10:10 PM
    • 28th Nov 16, 10:10 PM
    It's a resold TalkTalk wholesale product. With all that implies...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • avuncular
    • By avuncular 29th Nov 16, 3:22 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    avuncular
    • 29th Nov 16, 3:22 PM
    • 29th Nov 16, 3:22 PM
    Yes please.
    Originally posted by anactuary
    Listed here.

Up to 76Mbps £27.99 pcm, 18mo contract, unlimited, includes line rental, connection costs etc.
    • avuncular
    • By avuncular 29th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    avuncular
    • 29th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    • 29th Nov 16, 3:57 PM
    It's a resold TalkTalk wholesale product. With all that implies...
    Originally posted by macman
    Thanks - this wasn't obvious anywhere in the FU literature. May I ask what the implications are of this?
    • macman
    • By macman 30th Nov 16, 10:23 AM
    • 41,425 Posts
    • 17,049 Thanks
    macman
    • 30th Nov 16, 10:23 AM
    • 30th Nov 16, 10:23 AM
    The implications are that CS will be provided by a dedicated part of TT.
    TT do not have a good record for CS-see numerous other posts. However things do seem to have improved since the hacking incident.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • pastysmuggler
    • By pastysmuggler 14th Feb 17, 3:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pastysmuggler
    • 14th Feb 17, 3:03 PM
    OK So Far!!
    • 14th Feb 17, 3:03 PM
    I've had First Utility BB since mid-December and so far it's been OK. We're quite some way from the cabinet but speed is a respectable 22.2Mbps.
    However, the router (a Technicolor TG588v2) is a single band (2.4Ghz) 802.11n affair that is more than a little basic. Whilst it seems to support what I need, it can get a but stuttery when trying to stream video (especially when Mrs Pastysmuggler gets on her iPad!!).
    I'm just looking at a possible upgrade but would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this with First Utility.
    • JimD28
    • By JimD28 14th Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JimD28
    • 14th Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    • 14th Apr 17, 12:45 PM
    I can't see anything on the MSE site about this First Utility broadband offering. Am I missing it somewhere? I have them for energy and they seem OK.
    • Looking007
    • By Looking007 5th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Looking007
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    First Utility Broadband - Shambles
    • 5th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    Sadly my experience has not been a good one and so far it's been ongoing for 6 months. It started with poor service (and this remains the same as does the CS) and was quickly overtaken with an additional cost being added when I cancelled the utility side of the deals. In the very small print of broadband and not obvious it states that if you take out broadband after utility and then cancel utility they will charge you another £5 per month for the rest of the contract. Shame it wasn't obvious at the time of signing as I wouldn't have signed up. I have asked CS to provide where this piece of text is given at the time of signing but they have yet to produce it.

Currently, as I have persisted for so long, they have offered £30 to see out the contract or write-off the cancellation fee (£62 + £15) as soon as I move provider. Sadly as I'm looking to go abroad in a couple of months and neither suits me. I have also now asked them to progress to ofcom for resolution.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

6,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin