Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smolly
    • By Smolly 27th Nov 16, 3:40 PM
    • 216Posts
    • 611Thanks
    Smolly
    Smolly's Stumblings to Sanity - the next Chapter...
    • 27th Nov 16, 3:40 PM
    Smolly's Stumblings to Sanity - the next Chapter... 27th Nov 16 at 3:40 PM
    After much gentle pushing here is my new debt busting diary – my previous ramblings can be found here under the rather grim title of ‘Bereft and Broken’ should anyone feel inclined to read it and weep.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5503074#topofpage

I have come a very long way since July when I had my LBM. I’m not 100% better, and in fact I’m actually in more debt now than I was back then, but that is due to interest charges being added before I could get my accounts frozen. I am however, so much better than I was back in July. I’m more confident about dealing with this mountain of debt and my health is improving. I’m also back at work and slowly building up my hours.

I won’t go into the whys and wherefores as to how I got in this mess – that’s all in my other thread. I will say this though. I would not be writing this second diary without the support of certain people who have been cheering me on whilst ‘Bereft and Broken’. My aim in this diary is to see my debt reduce, by any which way I can legally reduce it! I won’t be considering bankruptcy though. I aim to work to pay this debt off and currently have a part time job, am selling things on eBay and have started doing some mystery shopping. I can’t work with StepChange as I can’t offer enough to my creditors at the moment to do so. My DMP is therefore self-managed.

My budget doesn’t allow huge payments at the moment to my creditors but due to health problems all have put me on a zero charge for the time being to allow myself some time to get my head together. Tomorrow I will start a new budget called GoodBudget. I hope with this to see exactly where my money is going and budget better for paying off debt.

The big awful debt figure as of 21 November 2016 was £27,961.98. As of 22 November 2016 through a successful PPI claim I managed to reduce this to £27,028.30 so I have paid 3.34% off. Exciting times!

I know I will have bad days but fortunately my good days far outweigh the !!!! ones. I will no doubt make reference to the OH when the days are pants and I will also mention my dear work colleague, the CLL (Crazy Lying Lady)! You will no doubt come to love her just as much as I do…

Take care all and good luck with debt busting. May the battle commence…
    Last edited by Smolly; 27-11-2016 at 5:35 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    LBM Jul 16 £26,823.83, Nov 16 £27,961.98, Dec 16 £26,977.66, Jan 17 £26,884.76
    EF #205 £0/£1000
Page 7
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 1st Aug 17, 10:59 AM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,623 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hey Smolly if you're still out there reading then we'd love to hear from you that things are OK!
    (And sorry to those who've just had this appear at the top of their subscriptions and are now disappointed that it's me posting, not Smolly!)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 1st Aug 17, 3:47 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I did get excited, I really miss Smolly! Please come back if you can, we are always here for you xxx
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 5th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    I am still thinking of you Smolly - I'd love to hear what you've been up to. I hope things are going well, wherever you are xxx
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 5th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,623 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I got all excited then - thought she'd come back!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,653Posts Today

6,136Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin