Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • excelpaul
    • By excelpaul 19th Nov 16, 12:08 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 359Thanks
    excelpaul
    Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.
    • 19th Nov 16, 12:08 PM
    Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59. 19th Nov 16 at 12:08 PM
    I am setting up this thread as an ordinary everyday man moving towards full retirement.
    I say ordinary, in the sense that I am neither poor nor extremely well off. I have been reading these forums for several years especially the sections about savings and investment.
    Of course they provide lots of great support and advice but for the most part for people whose savings and pensions are the stuff of dreams for most of us. I do not say that as a criticism just as a point of fact. Indeed I nearly fell into the trap of measuring myself against other people in these threads and found myself becoming a little bitter and envious which I know is irrational! In my heart of hearts I know I am extremely fortunate. So I decided to set up this thread as therapy, a reality check and a genuine place for discussion for everyday folk approaching or into retirement. The emphasis initially will be on implications for finance and life plans for the next phase of our lives. It is not for advice but more for the sharing of ideas and experiences of other everyday folk. Let us see where it goes!

First of some background about myself. I taught full time for 35 years until August 31st this year. I am now working just under two and a half days a week until next June when the plan is to finish completely. By then I will be just shy of my 59th birthday. I took phased retirement at 55 and the rest of my pension at 58 albeit reduced. I took the maximum lump sum as it suited my needs. Of course such a decision was met by derision from the pension experts in the other place but to me quality of life has become much more important than maximising returns! I am very fortunate in having a defined benefit pension that is index linked. It was reduced owing to taking it early and also taking the maximum lump sum. I also have a very small annuity that pays the grand total of £37 after tax a month! However it is better than nothing! I have recently received a state pension forecast which owing to being contracted out for nearly all my working life is currently £119.54 a week from the age of 66 (due in 2024) As I am working until next June I will add another year ‘contracted in’ this amount. When I finish work next June my income will be about £1350 a month after tax until 2024 (all at current prices) Quite interesting that although I will have contributed for 40 years to the state pension they only include(at the moment) the 35 ‘contracted out’ years in my pension calculation and none of the others!

I co-own a house with my mother. My grandmother lives with us too, who is still going at the grand age of 101. Hopefully this means I may be retired for quite a while! My total share of the house will allow me in this area to buy myself a decent house in the future. (After other members of the family have received their share of the proceeds of the current one) Sounds morbid to talk like that but one has to be practical. I am debt free and the house is mortgage free too. We did some upgrades recently and have plans in hand to redo the drive and the kitchen in the next 2 to years. I may also need to change my car in the next couple of years. I have a lovely extended family that includes several nephews and nieces who are very special to me. Unfortunately I lost one of my sisters four years ago at the age of 42. She left 4 children. Such a tragic event certainly makes you re-address your priorities! Other illnesses in the family also provide timely reminders to enjoy life rather than worry too much about the finances!

I used part of my pension lump sum to clear the mortgage and all other debts. I had some left over and have done the following with it.
    • A Loyalty Saver. Easy access and includes emergency fund.
    • Cash ISA
    • S&S ISA (See this as long term and will not look at it for 8 years!)
    • Premium Bonds
    • Nationwide Regular Saver (5% at moment! Started with £500. Can add £500 a month for a year only)
    • Personal Current Account
    • Joint current account for all household expenses. (We all contribute each month to this)
    Hopefully by next June I will have total savings and investments of just under £50000 before my income drops by 50% as I give up work completely. It sounds healthy but I am planning on being around a long-time! I also want to travel. Any constructive comments about any of the above most welcome.

I do feel guilty about not having managed to save more during my working life but things happen. For example, I lost a lot of money during the property crash in London in the 1980s. Interest rates on mortgages were then 15%! I had to borrow to sell! Fortunately that is all behind me now and I have been fortunate to work solidly for 36 years. When I entered teaching I had little idea about the pension scheme. I do feel fortunate now.

To my shame I do worry about money and probably should not. I suppose as we approach retirement we all get nervous about the regular salary stopping. Of course I could always do supply in an emergency but after 36 years I feel I have done my bit! It’s just in the past I went through some close financial calls. I do want to enjoy my retirement and tick some things off the to do list!
    I have planned my finances for after June 2017 and after all expenses and spending money should still be able to save some money each month.
    I also want to spend some savings travelling. I am keen to do the train journey across the Canadian Rockies as well as maybe spend some time renting a property in Cyprus an absolute favourite place of mine! We are fortunate that also my mother and grandmother also have adequate pension provision.

So that is my introduction. I am now just off to walk the dogs and then meet one of my nephews. I am fortunate that I live in a semi-rural area with plenty of countryside around me. Weather not looking too promising though. Have some schoolwork also to do. Working part-time has been great for getting the garden organised and actually being ahead with the Christmas shopping! As 2017 approaches I now need to plan more activities and long term aims for the retirement years.

I do hope you will join me on my journey and feel able to share aspects of yours too!

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by excelpaul; 19-11-2016 at 8:00 PM.
Page 13
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 6th Dec 17, 6:26 PM
    • 13,011 Posts
    • 49,445 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I'm curious whether any of you are contemplating a move now you are retired? Having always lived where the work was, and moved 8 times since 1983, I have often felt a bit disconnected with the places I lived, especially as I had no family with me. Now I have the option to choose where I live, I'm looking at one more move before the Big Sleep. ;-)

I'm also looking at getting another dog, but think it needs to wait until after I move. Having said that, my last dog was a rescue who moved with me four times (three of them involving transAtlantic moves!)
    Originally posted by dunroving
    I have no intention of moving. I did think about it, I would have liked either somewhere by the sea or somewhere isolated, but with age comes mobility and fitness worries and here is where my (sparse) support network is.

So far I've not had to ask for help but I do have 1 friend who is willing to help with anything. And she has a husband and 2 strapping sons if I ever need any heavy lifting done!

I have no close family, just my Mother-in-Law and Sister-in-Law. I see Mother-in-Law once a fortnight and Sister-in-Law when she wants something. I have several dog walking friends who I see every day and that is like a mini community, we do try to help each other when the need arises.

I am fairly "alone" but that's how I like it, everybody at arms length. I am not lonely. There isn't time.

I'm now 11 weeks into retirement and am as happy as a pig in.....you know the rest I don't miss work and rarely give it a second thought. However, mine was just a job, not a vocation and since stopping I have discovered how little I was thought of, having been shunned for having the cheek to want to retire! I'm trying not to be bitter
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 6th Dec 17, 6:51 PM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 19,079 Thanks
    Misslayed
    I’m going nowhere till I’m carried out feet first! I learned just how wonderful my group of friends are when my first husband was dying and afterwards. There are 9 of us in the ‘core group’ with others who drift in and out according to their family and travel commitments. We have supported each other through some horrendous scenarios. I know how lucky we are to have so many people we could ring at 3 am when disaster strikes!
    I spent most of my inheritance from my Mum ‘future proofing’ my house. I have a splendid 180 degree view and I built a garden room to take full advantage of it. My new husband and I love it here, never get tired of looking at the view - even in the dark we have lights all along the horizon.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 6th Dec 17, 9:56 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    fatbeetle
    I'm curious whether any of you are contemplating a move now you are retired?
    Just a small one. Me and the Mrs, and the two mutts, are moving from Australia to Cornwall in Jan 2018.

Last edited by fatbeetle; 06-12-2017 at 9:59 PM.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 6th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 1,978 Thanks
    no1catman
    Only if I get lucky with the Lottery!! So, it's a very big 'if'!
    Still, enjoy Escape to the Country type programmes, though hate the way they drive to places down narrow country roads.

Reality is, where's the nearest Hospital/A&E, dentist, doctor, Police Station, vet, and decent sized supermarket.

I find it amazing how many want to immediately want to start knocking down walls etc.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Dec 17, 6:59 AM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 28,270 Thanks
    bugslet
    Love the mutts fatbeetle.

As I'm not quite retired, this is in the wish category, though I've given it some thought. OK, quite a lot.

I live in a not great place, it's OK, but at age 53, I've never actually lived in a house I've chosen. The current pluses are that one 5 mins walk from a station on the Liverpool London line, ten minutes walk from a brilliant theatre that I go to pretty regularly, and there is an excellent area to walk the dogs ten minutes up the road.

So I might either move nearer the dog walking area, which would mean spending a lot for an equivalent house; there's a big difference between the two areas despite them being close.

Or move to Chester, which is 15 miles away and live slap bang in the centre. Again that would cost more, but I'd do away with a car probably and I could also do home swaps for holidays.

I also have a long running joke with a close girlfriend that when her OH dies, well end up living together. She favours the country. It may turn out not to be a joke.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 14,236 Posts
    • 38,560 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I have no intention of moving. I did think about it, I would have liked either somewhere by the sea or somewhere isolated, but with age comes mobility and fitness worries and here is where my (sparse) support network is.
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Re the "mobility" issues and I've seen people here move closer into a town as they get older and that is quite frequent and I presume it's down to mobility issues.

Moving may or may not be a voluntary choice. I think it probably takes a while to adapt even if it was a voluntary choice and longer if it wasnt. I'd hazard a guess at around 1-2 years to "settle" if it was a voluntary choice and 4-5 years if it wasnt.

What would I say now from my own experience. Mine wasnt a voluntary move basically - and so, from that perspective I'd say:

- it helps a LOT when your house is finished/together and in your taste and working the way you want it to

- it is a default setting most people have that they will assume you think/feel the same way they personally do. If you don't - then realise there will be a few "test comments" at some point to check if you do and probably the best policy is to just change the subject. People who are persistent in assuming you do (when you don't) might have to be told how you really think the once - and then walk off. Basically - if something is just different say nowt. If it's wrong - then that's between you and your conscience whether you speak up or no (errrm...I do myself ....but that's me). I'd never encountered the "support someone just because they're a fellow local" idea before and I will never agree with it. If they're right - they are right. If they're wrong - they're wrong imo.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-12-2017 at 9:08 AM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 7th Dec 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    sukysue
    Thank you for the links Katiehound they are adorable I can see why you love them .
    Have done my Xmas cards, visited 2 very elderly friends in their nursing homes, wrapped all the presents up and am fit to go. Off to Cardiff this afternoon to the bay have never been before am so looking forward to walking around there and seeing the lights . I am so enjoying this time. I took cards in to my old job yesterday and saw them all there . They were very nice to me and pleased to see me , offered me my old job back lol. Guess what I said NOOOOOOO lol. I felt fine about being there I realise I am no longer in the team and I actually said I prob wouldn't do cards next year because not many ppl are doing them anymore.They said that they were prob not going to send them either and I am absolutely fine about it. So it is all good , it is a gradual divorce almost lol . A very amicable one though lol. Hope all well take care everyone .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Dec 17, 9:29 AM
    • 23,116 Posts
    • 59,830 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We won’t move again. When we last moved, 30 years ago now, it was for the kids to go to a good school. We had a choice of three properties and ended up with this big bungalow, needing quite a bit of work.

However, we’ve grown into it, as well as considerably improved it. We’re also within walking distance of anything we might need when the day comes that we can’t drive.

My 89 year old neighbour walks down the hill, but gets the bus back up.

This is a period when I don’t miss school at all: the mocks! Two language papers and one literature, usually for two Y11 classes! Coupled with organising readers for the Nine Lessons and Carols service.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 7th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    sukysue
    I can't see us moving either, we will future proof our home like a lot of us are doing, just had the windows and doors renewed so they should now see us out lol. I also have realised that whatever house you buy there will always be something wrong with it , there is never a perfect 10. Also the thought of moving and the accompanying stress is all so daunting it really is not worth it. You hear so much abut subsidence etc etc even in new builds , or even more in new builds with the settlement that happens. I am risk averse so it will not be for us . I took enough of a risk finishing work early lol .I think we held the dream of a holiday home for a little while then thought better of it lol. Good luck if you decide to move .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 7th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    dunroving
    The main reasons I plan to move are to be closer to friends and family and closer to where I am originally from (Midlands). Where I currently live (middle of Scotland), it's a decent day's drive to most of my family and old friends. However, it's in a beautiful spot - medium-sized village with a huge mix of socioeconomic backgrounds, hiking and biking opportunities literally on the doorstep. Perfect dog-walking terrain!

I wouldn't move to anywhere isolated, especially as I live by myself. Currently struggling to find somewhere within at least reasonable distance from decent hiking and biking territory. North of Birmingham is currently on the radar, like Lichfield. That is an easy drive/train (1 hr) from relatives and friends in Birmingham, and a similar drive to the Peak District and only 15 minutes from Cannock Chase.

The other option would be to live in the Peak District itself, somewhere like Stone or Buxton, but then it's further from the relatives in Brum. I'd rather be somewhere where frequent visits would be easy.

As others have said, location of hospitals, GP, shops, library, etc., are also definitely on the checklist! I completely stuffed my back the day before I retired and being stranded like a beached whale on the sofa for weeks on end gave me a taste of what it's like to be "stuck" with a health problem. The village is quite insular and "white settlers" (their term for incomers, especially if they are English) find it difficult to assimilate. I could fall down the stairs and drop dead and no-one would know for at least a week or two.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 7th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    dunroving
    Just a small one. Me and the Mrs, and the two mutts, are moving from Australia to Cornwall in Jan 2018.

Originally posted by fatbeetle
    Wow, how does that work for the dugs (they look like some sort of Border Terrier mix, right? Are they brother and sister?) Do they stop off on the way, or are they in the hold for the whole trip?

My rescue Labrador crossed the Atlantic with me three times and did amazingly well. The paperwork was a nightmare, though!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Dec 17, 11:43 AM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 28,270 Thanks
    bugslet
    closer to where I am originally from (Midlands). Where I currently live (middle of Scotland), it's a decent day's drive to most of my family and old friends.

I wouldn't move to anywhere isolated, especially as I live by myself. Currently struggling to find somewhere within at least reasonable distance from decent hiking and biking territory. North of Birmingham is currently on the radar, like Lichfield. That is an easy drive/train (1 hr) from relatives and friends in Birmingham, and a similar drive to the Peak District and only 15 minutes from Cannock Chase.

As others have said, location of hospitals, GP, shops, library, etc., are also definitely on the checklist! I completely stuffed my back the day before I retired and being stranded like a beached whale on the sofa for weeks on end gave me a taste of what it's like to be "stuck" with a health problem. The village is quite insular and "white settlers" (their term for incomers, especially if they are English) find it difficult to assimilate. I could fall down the stairs and drop dead and no-one would know for at least a week or two.
    Sorry I just have to at the Scotland to Midlands bit being a decent days drive. I used have a regular run, leave Manchester, load Dundee, tip Exeter, back up to Manchester in the day. Joys of being a van driver

I agree on the not too isolated bit, I'm actually a sociable person so it would never suit me and as you go on to say, living alone out in the sticks can present problems. I think South Staffs is a lovely area, so Lichfield area would get my vote over the peak disrict.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 7th Dec 17, 1:36 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    dunroving
    Sorry I just have to at the Scotland to Midlands bit being a decent days drive. I used have a regular run, leave Manchester, load Dundee, tip Exeter, back up to Manchester in the day. Joys of being a van driver

I agree on the not too isolated bit, I'm actually a sociable person so it would never suit me and as you go on to say, living alone out in the sticks can present problems. I think South Staffs is a lovely area, so Lichfield area would get my vote over the peak disrict.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Ha ha, to a lot of my F&F, Scotland might as well be on the moon. I think it's the fact that they have to account for one day of travel at either end (travel = faff packing bags, getting to the station, changing trains, getting from the station, unpacking bags, having a cup of tea, etc.), so it almost seems like there are 2 days lost out of the long weekend, or whatever. Whereas if I were closer, there'd be no bags to pack, etc., it would just be a case of "Let's pop over for the afternoon and watch the game", or "Let's pop up to do some shopping".

Lichfield is conveniently at the end of the train line direct from them, so doesn't even involve a change of trains. Although it is a little suburban for me (living as I do in the semi-wildies), it is a decent compromise - and has potential for just opening the door and having a walk to the coffee shop. From a few visits, it also seems pretty "decent" (although the local MP, Michael Fabricant, is very odd!) Convenience is the watchword for me at the moment.

My current lifestyle involves putting the boots on every day, or getting the bike out, and going for a ride/walk, and it's that lifestyle that leads me to the Peaks. But in the end, life is also about what happens in between the daily walk/hike and now there's no job to keep me occupied, I don't fancy keeping the telly company all day.
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 8th Dec 17, 1:49 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    fatbeetle
    Thanks for the nice comment Bugslet.

Wow, how does that work for the dugs (they look like some sort of Border Terrier mix, right? Are they brother and sister?) Do they stop off on the way, or are they in the hold for the whole trip?
    Two brothers, Fox Terrier x Jack Russell, a lethal mix, they are the biggest dogs in the world, (in their minds.)

They fly with Qantas, have a break in Dubai, and then onto Heathrow. My Mrs is dispatching them, I'll be there to receive them. They being deal with by Jetpets

http://www.jetpets.com.au/

My rescue Labrador crossed the Atlantic with me three times and did amazingly well. The paperwork was a nightmare, though!
    That's reassuring!
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 8th Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    sukysue
    Been snowing here not horrendously but enough to block a couple of roads. If I had been in work I would have had to take 'snow clothes and emergency rations' I kid you not . I prob would have been stuck overnight and have to stay at the clients home till I could drive home. I am so relieved I don't have to worry about this sort of thing anymore. Instead we relaxed till 11 , walked up town came back nice cuppa and watching a bit of afternoon TV I am finishing the cards and sorting more pressies it is like a different life , well it is I suppose lol !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Dec 17, 5:20 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 38,002 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Cute dogs Fat Beetle. Looked yesterday and there was no photo...... perhaps that's my slow internet? Any way they are here today.
    That will be a long old journey for them, and for you come to that!

Never made it Oz, NZ or Japan due to looong flights. Of course I could cruise there but my dogs would most certainly leave home if mum was away for ... 120 days! and no, much as I like cruising I would hate that length of time.

Anyway glad the retirement has started and you are planning the next step.

No snow here- yet. We had a couple of inches last week, don't really want more but I guess it will come.

I'm busy packing my doggy goody bags for the charity Dogs for Good (sewed the bags too) So far I have sold 15 of 22 L ones and 3 of 20 small ones. It's the small ones I am packing. Then I need to sew doggy duvets as supplies are low- if folk are buying I need to keep my outlets full! (also sold for DfG) 2 x 1/4s in washing machine this minute.

then I really really need to review the presents (which I have been buying all year) as there will still be time to buy the odd thing.
    Who knows when the cards will get written? Thank goodness for Jacquie Lawson cards.
    Take care everyone in the weather.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 8th Dec 17, 6:18 PM
    • 5,772 Posts
    • 28,270 Thanks
    bugslet
    I had three drivers sitting at Esbjerg port from 8 on Thursday morning till around 9 before getting on the boat, which had been delayed due to weather. Once on, they can't get off and instead of sailing at 20.30 thursday, they are sailing at 07.00 Saturday with an ETA of 02.00 at Immingham Sunday morning.

Oh the glamorous life of the European truck driver.

#notthinkingaboutmywagebill
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 8th Dec 17, 6:37 PM
    • 13,011 Posts
    • 49,445 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I had three drivers sitting at Esbjerg port from 8 on Thursday morning till around 9 before getting on the boat, which had been delayed due to weather. Once on, they can't get off and instead of sailing at 20.30 thursday, they are sailing at 07.00 Saturday with an ETA of 02.00 at Immingham Sunday morning.

Oh the glamorous life of the European truck driver.

#notthinkingaboutmywagebill
    Originally posted by bugslet
    bugslet, if you retired wouldn't you miss all this? Or would it be a blessed relief?

3 flakes of snow here today, there is a possibility of something more substantial on Monday afternoon. I went out for emergency supplies yesterday, but it was to B&Q for bits I need for my next project, forgot about any food I might need

I'm due to go shopping on Wednesday anyway so I'll just have to manage til then! I'm sure I'll survive

Have a great weekend all!
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 8th Dec 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    sukysue
    You too Joansgirl have a great weekend everyone !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 9th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    crv1963
    Good Luck with the retirement and move back to the UK Fatbeetle- love the dogs.

With regards to discussion over the house moves, we'd love to be in the middle of nowhere but have also decided as we move into final planning- can retire in 10 paydays time (But that might mean cutting everything back too harshly)- that we live in an isolated bungalow on a hill in the centre of town, everything we need from GP to shops etc is in walking distance so we're going to invest some time and money in future proofing where we are.

So likely that I'll hang on in at work (I really do enjoy what I do but loathe the paperwork/ NHS chaos and endless, pointless directives we get given) for 3 more years or until the next proposed reorganisation due in 2019 when I may get a chance at redundancy which will more than cover the year 3 salary I'd like to earn.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin