Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • excelpaul
    • By excelpaul 19th Nov 16, 12:08 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 359Thanks
    excelpaul
    Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.
    • 19th Nov 16, 12:08 PM
    Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59. 19th Nov 16 at 12:08 PM
    I am setting up this thread as an ordinary everyday man moving towards full retirement.
    I say ordinary, in the sense that I am neither poor nor extremely well off. I have been reading these forums for several years especially the sections about savings and investment.
    Of course they provide lots of great support and advice but for the most part for people whose savings and pensions are the stuff of dreams for most of us. I do not say that as a criticism just as a point of fact. Indeed I nearly fell into the trap of measuring myself against other people in these threads and found myself becoming a little bitter and envious which I know is irrational! In my heart of hearts I know I am extremely fortunate. So I decided to set up this thread as therapy, a reality check and a genuine place for discussion for everyday folk approaching or into retirement. The emphasis initially will be on implications for finance and life plans for the next phase of our lives. It is not for advice but more for the sharing of ideas and experiences of other everyday folk. Let us see where it goes!

First of some background about myself. I taught full time for 35 years until August 31st this year. I am now working just under two and a half days a week until next June when the plan is to finish completely. By then I will be just shy of my 59th birthday. I took phased retirement at 55 and the rest of my pension at 58 albeit reduced. I took the maximum lump sum as it suited my needs. Of course such a decision was met by derision from the pension experts in the other place but to me quality of life has become much more important than maximising returns! I am very fortunate in having a defined benefit pension that is index linked. It was reduced owing to taking it early and also taking the maximum lump sum. I also have a very small annuity that pays the grand total of £37 after tax a month! However it is better than nothing! I have recently received a state pension forecast which owing to being contracted out for nearly all my working life is currently £119.54 a week from the age of 66 (due in 2024) As I am working until next June I will add another year ‘contracted in’ this amount. When I finish work next June my income will be about £1350 a month after tax until 2024 (all at current prices) Quite interesting that although I will have contributed for 40 years to the state pension they only include(at the moment) the 35 ‘contracted out’ years in my pension calculation and none of the others!

I co-own a house with my mother. My grandmother lives with us too, who is still going at the grand age of 101. Hopefully this means I may be retired for quite a while! My total share of the house will allow me in this area to buy myself a decent house in the future. (After other members of the family have received their share of the proceeds of the current one) Sounds morbid to talk like that but one has to be practical. I am debt free and the house is mortgage free too. We did some upgrades recently and have plans in hand to redo the drive and the kitchen in the next 2 to years. I may also need to change my car in the next couple of years. I have a lovely extended family that includes several nephews and nieces who are very special to me. Unfortunately I lost one of my sisters four years ago at the age of 42. She left 4 children. Such a tragic event certainly makes you re-address your priorities! Other illnesses in the family also provide timely reminders to enjoy life rather than worry too much about the finances!

I used part of my pension lump sum to clear the mortgage and all other debts. I had some left over and have done the following with it.
    • A Loyalty Saver. Easy access and includes emergency fund.
    • Cash ISA
    • S&S ISA (See this as long term and will not look at it for 8 years!)
    • Premium Bonds
    • Nationwide Regular Saver (5% at moment! Started with £500. Can add £500 a month for a year only)
    • Personal Current Account
    • Joint current account for all household expenses. (We all contribute each month to this)
    Hopefully by next June I will have total savings and investments of just under £50000 before my income drops by 50% as I give up work completely. It sounds healthy but I am planning on being around a long-time! I also want to travel. Any constructive comments about any of the above most welcome.

I do feel guilty about not having managed to save more during my working life but things happen. For example, I lost a lot of money during the property crash in London in the 1980s. Interest rates on mortgages were then 15%! I had to borrow to sell! Fortunately that is all behind me now and I have been fortunate to work solidly for 36 years. When I entered teaching I had little idea about the pension scheme. I do feel fortunate now.

To my shame I do worry about money and probably should not. I suppose as we approach retirement we all get nervous about the regular salary stopping. Of course I could always do supply in an emergency but after 36 years I feel I have done my bit! It’s just in the past I went through some close financial calls. I do want to enjoy my retirement and tick some things off the to do list!
    I have planned my finances for after June 2017 and after all expenses and spending money should still be able to save some money each month.
    I also want to spend some savings travelling. I am keen to do the train journey across the Canadian Rockies as well as maybe spend some time renting a property in Cyprus an absolute favourite place of mine! We are fortunate that also my mother and grandmother also have adequate pension provision.

So that is my introduction. I am now just off to walk the dogs and then meet one of my nephews. I am fortunate that I live in a semi-rural area with plenty of countryside around me. Weather not looking too promising though. Have some schoolwork also to do. Working part-time has been great for getting the garden organised and actually being ahead with the Christmas shopping! As 2017 approaches I now need to plan more activities and long term aims for the retirement years.

I do hope you will join me on my journey and feel able to share aspects of yours too!

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by excelpaul; 19-11-2016 at 8:00 PM.
Page 12
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 4th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 28,149 Thanks
    bugslet
    @dunroving I get up at 5.15, nice to know you don't miss it, though frankly I'd pretty much guessed that.

Is there anyone here that has retired and is single besides the OP, who is very recently retired and has had, unfortunately, quite a lot on his plate.

I have three concerns:

1. Leaving loyal staff, making them redundant.
    2. Retirement alone.
    3. Money.

The latter I'm more or less sorted on. The second does make me wonder, most early retirees have an OH. I have friends and have loose plans to expand my social life post retirement, but can't help but be concerned that I'll be cutting myself off somewhat. I have no family at all.
    • excelpaul
    • By excelpaul 4th Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    excelpaul
    I have not found the first few months as easy as envisaged.
    On the plus side though I have had more time to deal with my mother's recent surgery and my grandmother's death. When my father died in January and I was still working it was more difficult to get everything done and organised.
    However I still tend to wake early and still have dreams about missing school. A bit like grieving I suppose. However the two weeks in school invigilating were enjoyable and gave me some perspective. It was good just to work a few hours. I may do some occasional supply next term.
    I do worry about money though. It seems to be going ok at the moment, but I have feel a bit of a failure for not have more saved and invested. I also took a reduced pension by going early. I know that going early was good for my overall health but I feel I messed it up a bit. I do re-read my original post to reassure myself!! I think it is because some of you seem to have planned better and accumulated more. My sensible side does realise that I am being daft! My emotional side does not yet get it!!
    I am going to re-join my former fitness centre for the swimming again. I did also join the gym there a year or so ago but never went. However I have accepted that deep down I am not really interested in gym working out!!
    Last couple of days also had a nightmare with part of the water system in the house. Plumber returning tomorrow to hopefully sort it out. More expenditure.
    Don't worry overall I am ok . Its just been a tough year!

Many thanks for all your views, comments and opinions. Keep them coming. This is developing into a great thread!!
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 4th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    sukysue
    Excelpaul don't fret my dear. You can always do supply/invigilate if you need to make more money and to be honest with you, although the money is important, our health is the no 1 priority . We cannot get this time back ever , we have to seize the day lol. I think losing your Father and your Grandmother and your retirement and your mother's surgery is a hell of a lot for you to cope with. Especially all in the same year ...Phew it is a wonder you can still stand . As for the prep for retiring ....well yes I suppose some of us are more prepared but it is all relative to what we want to do in our retirement. I think you are doing very well given the circumstances and I hope you realise the great favour you did for us all by starting your thread .Like you say this is developing nicely ...a wonderful work in progress , so well done young man and thank you .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 4th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 37,841 Posts
    • 34,235 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Is there anyone here that has retired and is single besides the OP, who is very recently retired and has had, unfortunately, quite a lot on his plate.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    No, but if you'll accept some comment from a complete bystander ...

I have three concerns:

1. Leaving loyal staff, making them redundant.
    Obviously you have to do what's right for you, but might any of them want to do a management buyout, or is it worth trying to sell the business as a going concern, in order to avoid that? It might also help with the money ...

2. Retirement alone.

The second does make me wonder, most early retirees have an OH. I have friends and have loose plans to expand my social life post retirement, but can't help but be concerned that I'll be cutting myself off somewhat. I have no family at all.
    My personal response to this is that if you have friends now, and plans to expand your social life, it shouldn't be a problem. I do know a few single retirees, and as far as I can tell it's not a problem: they have extensive circles of friends and interests, and gad about merrily, without having to refer to 'the other half' - or, indeed, being constrained by 'the other half' not WANTING to gad about or in some cases sadly being unable to join in the gadding about.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 4th Dec 17, 10:47 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 37,983 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Yes, I'm single and I don't really have any family.
    My mother went into residential care about a year before I retired as a temporary measure but then I had her property to sell just about when I retired so I was very thankful for the time.
    She died some years ago, all of the family left are 2 older cousins who live 200 miles away and one cousin's daughter. Yes, there are other children but I don't keep in touch with them as they are farflung , have sproglets, have never been in my sphere! So I'm pretty much on my own.

I rely on my friends: I have an electic selection from primary school, senior school, college and then working in different places. The majority live all over the place - not quite Landsend to John O'Groats - but miles away. I have some local friends too. All are accessible on the phone.

It was quite a limited selection of folk who helped me last year when I had 2 x knee replacements but I got through!

I'm fortunate that although as a child we didn't have 2 half pennies to rub together- money was very tight- I am now fine. When you are used to saving and making do it stands you in good stead.
    I'm lucky now that I have money for cruising, a holiday home and my two beautiful trailies! and lots of lovely friends too. Although I mutter at this time of year 'cos it's dark I'm usually up around 7am so quick dog walk and then 3/4 hour swim... and then whatever that day brings.

Life is what you make it.
    If you are not sure exactly what you want may I suggest a 'bucket list' and a 'gratitude book' - you might surprise yourself.

The most important thing is that you do what you want, and that you enjoy it.
    Have fun folks. We don't know what is around the corner and there are no pockets in shrouds.............
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 4th Dec 17, 10:50 PM
    • 37,841 Posts
    • 34,235 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    dunroving, I did supply for the first year after retiring, including taking over from a young teacher who was ill. I enjoyed it greatly. I’d never do invigilation, though. Die of boredom or driven mad by my tinnitus.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Interesting you should say that, I've suggested my OH should look into invigilation. Warned him he wouldn't be able to read or sleep (he's been known to nod off in church) but I thought he'd enjoy the thinking time. But his tinnitus might drive him mad too!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • sukysue
    • By sukysue 4th Dec 17, 10:52 PM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    sukysue
    Katiehound you sound very together Great work! I do wonder what sort of Animal is a trialie lol I am thinking an Australian collie ? Yes ? Sorry for being so dense and nosy lol . Your life sounds just perfect !
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 4th Dec 17, 11:34 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    fatbeetle
    Fatbeetle I bet that bread was the best tasting bread you ever ate!
    Originally posted by sukysue
    It was, and funnily enough it was genuinely the best loaf I have ever made. Cause and effect?
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
    • YoungScot
    • By YoungScot 5th Dec 17, 6:53 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    YoungScot
    Just found another benefit!
    Had a pretty restless sleep so decided to get up and go downstairs for a cup of tea at 4am......would NEVER have contemplated that when I was working......would just have lay stressing about being tired for work and watching the clock while doing a mental countdown till I had to get up! If I'm tired all day today then so what.....will just have a wee relaxing day and an early night to catch up!
    Quite agree with Dunroaving too that you need to let go from your workplace. I have found though that over the last couple of years a few of my old colleagues have changed their jobs or are doing different roles and as a result work is mentioned only in passing when we meet for coffee. I have also kind of pruned down the people I catch up with......if I haven't come home thinking I've had a lovely blether today I come to the realisation that sone people only had work in common with me and it's time to let go. Sounds callous but it works both ways and I want meeting up to be a joy not a chore for any of us. Probably they are relieved as well.....they do say that you have different friends for different stages in your life!
    If anything , I now know the remaing few better as we have time to chat about things that actually matter to us as individuals.......and another plus is that all these extra stamps on my coffee loyalty cards are mounting up nicely!!! I can always put a positive spin on money I spend now....haha!
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 5th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 28,149 Thanks
    bugslet
    @excelpaul I think it's only natural for it to take a while to get into a new retirement rhythm. I think it will take me at least 6 months to get my head round it. As for money, as you say, you can always do a bit of invigilating or you may find something when you least expect it and think I could do a few hours of that. It's a world of difference between working because you have to and working because you choose to.

No, but if you'll accept some comment from a complete bystander ...

Obviously you have to do what's right for you, but might any of them want to do a management buyout, or is it worth trying to sell the business as a going concern, in order to avoid that? It might also help with the money ...

My personal response to this is that if you have friends now, and plans to expand your social life, it shouldn't be a problem. I do know a few single retirees, and as far as I can tell it's not a problem: they have extensive circles of friends and interests, and gad about merrily, without having to refer to 'the other half' - or, indeed, being constrained by 'the other half' not WANTING to gad about or in some cases sadly being unable to join in the gadding about.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue

Of course, bystander, I will take advice; I see you giving other people good advice on the employment board.

In brief, another company did ask if I was interested in selling last year, but the timing was wrong. Depending on contracts, the timing may be right in spring next year. Not my favourite company, but it would beneficial form a tax perspective to me and the lads would keep their jobs, though some would retire I think. Management buy out, I have two managers, one knows that I'm pondering, but he wouldn't want to take over, the other is very good at what he does, but doesn't have the wider ability. It's on the back of my mind and I'd suggest it to them before I approached the potential buyer.

Doesn't rule out me coming in one day (say tomorrow), saying I've had enough and decidng to wind up then and there.

I do 'enjoy' bieng a widow, in so far as the word compromise has been erased from my domestic vocabulary. It certainly is liberating.

My mother went into residential care about a year before I retired as a temporary measure but then I had her property to sell just about when I retired so I was very thankful for the time.
    She died some years ago, all of the family left are 2 older cousins who live 200 miles away and one cousin's daughter. Yes, there are other children but I don't keep in touch with them as they are farflung , have sproglets, have never been in my sphere! So I'm pretty much on my own.

I rely on my friends: I have an electic selection from primary school, senior school, college and then working in different places. The majority live all over the place - not quite Landsend to John O'Groats - but miles away. I have some local friends too. All are accessible on the phone.

It was quite a limited selection of folk who helped me last year when I had 2 x knee replacements but I got through!

I'm fortunate that although as a child we didn't have 2 half pennies to rub together- money was very tight- I am now fine. When you are used to saving and making do it stands you in good stead.
    I'm lucky now that I have money for cruising, a holiday home and my two beautiful trailies! and lots of lovely friends too. Although I mutter at this time of year 'cos it's dark I'm usually up around 7am so quick dog walk and then 3/4 hour swim... and then whatever that day brings.

If you are not sure exactly what you want may I suggest a 'bucket list' and a 'gratitude book' - you might surprise yourself.

Have fun folks. We don't know what is around the corner and there are no pockets in shrouds.............
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    Thanks Katie, it's good to hear from someone in similar circumstances.

I think I would be OK, I'm an only child, used to making decisions on my own, I suppose it's just a big step when 30+ years have been spent in work and interacting. I can be quite focussed on making friends when I need to - I've done it before. Sounds a bit ruthless said like that, but waiting doesn't produce results!

I have three dogs, so I'd certainly be out more with them. I get quite envious of the regular dog walkers that meet up during the week.

I have a bucket list of sorts, part of me wanting to give up work is to be able to do more, I just never have the time now. An extra 65-70 hours a week - can hardly imagine it.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.
    Last edited by bugslet; 05-12-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 5th Dec 17, 9:15 AM
    • 23,090 Posts
    • 59,784 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Bugs, as I said so many times before, join U3A when you retire. We have made so many friends.

There are loads of single members, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 5th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 28,149 Thanks
    bugslet
    It's on my list pollypenny. I wold like to do a qualification in garden design, mostl for my own interest, but a small side gig would be nice.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 5th Dec 17, 2:41 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 37,983 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Katiehound you sound very together Great work! I do wonder what sort of Animal is a trialie lol I am thinking an Australian collie ? Yes ? Sorry for being so dense and nosy lol . Your life sounds just perfect !
    Originally posted by sukysue
    No, my life's not perfect but luckily I am a glass half-full person so I do see the best in things.
    If I'm really down (there were moments when each knee was painfully infected!) I phone one particular friend who hears the signs and starts a stupid conversation! We have the same daffy sense of humour...

My trailies? Well they are Lakeland Trailhounds. Have a look here to find out more:
    http://www.trailhoundwelfare.org.uk/

My two are the first story here- Shyla & Shay
    http://www.trailhoundwelfare.org.uk/category/stories/
    and if scroll down the thread to story #6 you can read about my very special Katie(hound.) She was an amazing dog and because I was retired I was able to do all kinds of things with her that I would never have done when working. Her name lives on....on this forum!!
    Last edited by Katiehound; 05-12-2017 at 2:58 PM.

Thank You
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 5th Dec 17, 2:53 PM
    • 3,903 Posts
    • 37,983 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I have also kind of pruned down the people I catch up with......if I haven't come home thinking I've had a lovely blether today I come to the realisation that sone people only had work in common with me and it's time to let go. Sounds callous but it works both ways and I want meeting up to be a joy not a chore for any of us. Probably they are relieved as well.....they do say that you have different friends for different stages in your life!
    If anything , I now know the remaing few better as we have time to chat about things that actually matter to us as individuals.......
    Originally posted by YoungScot
    Absolutely
    It's really important that your friendships support you, and yes we do rely on some people more than others at different times - but don't let them completely disappear. It's a two way street.

What I found was crucial was to axe any 'toxic friendships'. I used to have an aquaintance who was forever phoning me at inconvenient times. That was bad enough, but she was always always complaining about this thing and that thing and people too. Now yes, I mutter and complain but try to balance the bad with the good.
    No, her's were all always bad.... I started not to answer the phone everytime, be 'sorry I'm going out with dogs etc' and then the calls ceased.
    Bliss
    If I'm feeling at all down I think of 3 things to be grateful for that day.......
    Keep friends who keep you positive and happy. There's enough bad things going on in the world....

Thank You
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 5th Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    fatbeetle
    After only 4 days I'm noticing I'm sleeping better.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 6th Dec 17, 8:44 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 28,149 Thanks
    bugslet
    After only 4 days I'm noticing I'm sleeping better.
    Originally posted by fatbeetle
    you have no idea how jealous I am!

Katiehound, I hadn't come across trailhounds before, lovely looking dogs and good personalities by the looks of it.

Visited a friend last week for the first time since she got a rescue Borzoi ten weeks ago. Smitten, would be the word.

Wandering off topic a bit, I would love to re-home this girl

https://www.freshfields.org.uk/animals/millie-2/

If I wasn't at work, it would be a given.
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 6th Dec 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3,532 Posts
    • 18,875 Thanks
    Misslayed
    Another benefit of retirement! We have this little treasure training us at the moment!
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 6th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 28,149 Thanks
    bugslet
    That's a scratchable tummy!
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    dunroving
    Wow, some interesting posts over the past 24 hrs that definitely resound with me.

I did supply for a year or so too, but a new head started and things changed. Stuff was fixed which wasn’t broken. Relationships changed and the morale in the staff room was at rock bottom. When I got to the point of dreading that early morning phone call I knew it was time to stop. Never looked back!
    Originally posted by Misslayed
    I was a "real" teacher before I became a teacher in HE and have several old college friends who either did supply or went part-time after retirement/semi-retirement. Lots of moans and groans from them about similar issues. I think overall that teachers are more invested in the job than many professions, but also that they don't see the dysfunctionality of modern teaching until they get the chance to step back in retirement. I think it's the frog-in-a-saucepan analogy - over the years teaching has just got more and more dysfunctional but at a rate that you almost don't notice when you are in the middle of it.

Originally posted by Katiehound
    I'm single also, and have lived in many different countries and towns as part of following the job. Interestingly, I have fewer friends where I currently live than anywhere, despite the fact I have lived here the longest (11 years). I had one friend visit me once during my 5-week recovery from TKR. Now I am no longer tied to the area by my job, I am looking at moving back to England.

Had a pretty restless sleep so decided to get up and go downstairs for a cup of tea at 4am......would NEVER have contemplated that when I was working......would just have lay stressing about being tired for work and watching the clock while doing a mental countdown till I had to get up! If I'm tired all day today then so what.....will just have a wee relaxing day and an early night to catch up!
    Originally posted by YoungScot
    Can definitely identify with that. I don't necessarily sleep better, but do sleep longer and don't fret if I wake up at 2 a.m. Old me: "OMG!! 2 a.m.! I only went to sleep 2 hours ago! I have to get up in 3 hours! What if I can't get back to sleep? Must get to sleep!!" New me: "Hmm, what time is it? Oh, it's only 2 a.m., I have lots of sleep left and don't have to get up for hours yet. Aaaahhhhh!!!!"
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 6th Dec 17, 4:26 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 282 Thanks
    dunroving
    I'm curious whether any of you are contemplating a move now you are retired? Having always lived where the work was, and moved 8 times since 1983, I have often felt a bit disconnected with the places I lived, especially as I had no family with me. Now I have the option to choose where I live, I'm looking at one more move before the Big Sleep. ;-)

I'm also looking at getting another dog, but think it needs to wait until after I move. Having said that, my last dog was a rescue who moved with me four times (three of them involving transAtlantic moves!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

3,238Users online

Martin's Twitter