Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moon Keh
    • By Moon Keh 15th Nov 16, 1:45 AM
    • 43Posts
    • 36Thanks
    Moon Keh
    Tonik
    • 15th Nov 16, 1:45 AM
    Tonik 15th Nov 16 at 1:45 AM
    A new name showed up when I was investigating whether a change of electricity supplier would be worthwhile: Tonik. Looked quite competitive for me, with the snag being that I've never heard of them and know nothing about them.

The inevitable question is, do you know anything? I was looking for an independent review, but all I can find is the company's own website.

Are they worth going with? Anyone with any information/opinions, I'd be grateful if you could respond. I can't see this question as having been asked before, but if it has, please can someone direct me to the appropriate thread.

Thank you!
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 15th Nov 16, 8:51 AM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 1,898 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 15th Nov 16, 8:51 AM
    • 15th Nov 16, 8:51 AM
    They were awarded their gas and electricity supply licences 3 months ago so any customer feedback on this forum is unlikely. They source their electricity from renewables and pay 3% interest on credit balances. A quick comparison reveals that they would be 25% more expensive for me if I decided to switch.

Like all new suppliers they suggest that they are going to do things differently. I have yet to find any supplier that lives up to this claim. After all, energy supply is little more than an accurate billing exercise.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 15th Nov 16, 12:28 PM
    • 3,069 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 15th Nov 16, 12:28 PM
    • 15th Nov 16, 12:28 PM
    A new name showed up when I was investigating whether a change of electricity supplier would be worthwhile: Tonik. Looked quite competitive for me, with the snag being that I've never heard of them and know nothing about them.

The inevitable question is, do you know anything? I was looking for an independent review, but all I can find is the company's own website.

Are they worth going with? Anyone with any information/opinions, I'd be grateful if you could respond. I can't see this question as having been asked before, but if it has, please can someone direct me to the appropriate thread.

Thank you!
    Originally posted by Moon Keh
    Hello Moon Keh, and welcome back to MSE after so many years away

In regards to your post, all I can say is Really?

Can I ask which comparison site you found this supplier on please?
    (Because they are not on the ones I have looked at, and looking at their website, it appears they do not want to be yet as they have only very recently launched)

As for being competitive, well I just looked at one supply region at random. Their website only gave me details of one tariff (fixed) they could offer, and whilst the unit prices were about average (certainly not the cheapest), their standing charges were over £90 per fuel per year

The other thing to note is that, in common with some other small suppliers, as you are joining them on the run up to Winter, you will pay a premium for the first few months in the hope that that you do not go directly into debt.

Perhaps you could share with us your supply region (or first part of your postcode) and your anticipated annual usage of each fuel in kWh and we can see how much more you could save compared to this supplier you name.

Edit: Just found them on EnergyLynx, so they may be on some other comparison sites too, but I needed to look a long way down the list to find them.
    It seems they offer 2 tariffs, a fixed and a variable, which are amost the same price currently (You can have paper billing on either for £12 per year more)
    Last edited by footyguy; 15-11-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    • tiptoe_mouse
    • By tiptoe_mouse 16th Nov 16, 11:07 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    tiptoe_mouse
    • 16th Nov 16, 11:07 PM
    • 16th Nov 16, 11:07 PM
    I did a comparison on the Which? website, and Tonik came out best for me by a significant margin (8% cheaper than the next cheapest). I too hunted around for more information, but came across very little. However, I have decided to take the plunge and switch to them. I'm still in the cooling off period, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

My supply region is the West Midlands, and my usage figures are as follows:
    Electric 2618
    Gas 16945

tiptoe
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 17th Nov 16, 1:07 PM
    • 3,069 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 17th Nov 16, 1:07 PM
    • 17th Nov 16, 1:07 PM
    I did a comparison on the Which? website, and Tonik came out best for me by a significant margin (8% cheaper than the next cheapest). I too hunted around for more information, but came across very little. However, I have decided to take the plunge and switch to them. I'm still in the cooling off period, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

My supply region is the West Midlands, and my usage figures are as follows:
    Electric 2618
    Gas 16945

tiptoe
    Originally posted by tiptoe_mouse
    Done a quick check for you, and I do admit they are very competitive for you (and probably many people in your region with average to high usage where the high standing charge becomes less of an issue).

It seems their prices vary quite signficantly by region.
    In your region (West Midland)s their unit charges are:

Electricity Unit Rate: 10.259p per kWh
    Gas Unit Rate: 2.069p per kWh

I originally checked the Eastern Region where unit prices from them are 15-20% more expensive. i.e.

Electricity Unit Rate: 12.443p per kWh
    Gas Unit Rate: 2.352p per kWh

Just had a look at the East Midlands area, and the electricity prices are even cheaper than your region

Electricity Unit Rate: 9.66p per kWh
    Gas Unit Rate: 2.247p per kWh

So there appears to be no obvious pattern to their pricing except all the regions I checked did have the same standing charge.

I'm struggling to better the deal from Tonik for you, unless I break Martin's rule of not making a decision based on possible cashback.
    I don't think Tonik pays any cashback no matter who you switch with, and so for you the price would be £799.13 for a year.

Best alternative I can offer is:

Electricity
    Co-op Festive Fix December 2017 @ £344.12 p.a

Gas
    nPower Online Price Fix December 2017 @ £463.03 p.a.

Total: £807.15

Less possible cashback of £34.50
    (£17.50 from UK power for nPower, £17 from EHL for Co-op)

Total after possible cashback = £772.65

Probably not worth it.

However, keep an eye out on next week's email. There may be an MSE collective switch announced that might benefit you.

Edit: Looks like you could get a possible £27.50 cashback for nPower via quidco (offer expires in 3 days)
    Last edited by footyguy; 17-11-2016 at 1:17 PM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Nov 16, 1:22 PM
    • 16,004 Posts
    • 10,177 Thanks
    molerat
    • 17th Nov 16, 1:22 PM
    • 17th Nov 16, 1:22 PM
    They seem viable for dual fuel only, electricity expensive with a reasonable gas price reducing the overall cost so ideal for high gas low electric use.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Moon Keh
    • By Moon Keh 17th Nov 16, 3:50 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Moon Keh
    • 17th Nov 16, 3:50 PM
    • 17th Nov 16, 3:50 PM
    I did a comparison on the Which? website
    Originally posted by tiptoe_mouse
    I used that one as well.

Mine is East Midlands (Lincolnshire), electricity only, economy7.

Annual usage: 6656

Night usage has only been 25% in recent months, but this is quite low for us. I'm considering a supplier/tariff change, not a discussion about E7, which I'm considering as a separate issue.

I'm looking for a fixed rate only.

I'm switching from Robin Hood Energy Prime v2 (E7).

The answers I got were...

1) Which's comparison gives me Tonik 12-month fix followed by iSupply 21-month fix

2) Moneysupermarket: First two fixed rate responses are Robin Hood Nottingham-only tariffs. First sensible answer is iSupply 21-month fix.

3) uSwitch: iSupply 21-month fix followed by iSupply 12-month fix

4) Energyhelpline: A Robin Hood tariff that's no longer available, followed by iSupply 21-month fix.

5) EnergyLynx: Tonik 12-month fix followed by iSupply 21-month fix.

It does seem that not everyone covers Tonik, but it's frequently the cheapest supplier if they do.

I asked if anyone had heard of Tonik because I hadn't; while their offer is quite tempting I'm not sure that I don't prefer the idea of a fix that's longer than 12 months. I'd also say that Robin Hood have been a very civil bunch to deal with; sometimes I wonder if that's not worth a few bob.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 24th Jan 17, 4:10 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    kev2009
    • 24th Jan 17, 4:10 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 4:10 PM
    Hi all,

Has anyone actually signed up to Tonik? any good?

I'm currently looking to switch and whist i was going to switch to Zog for gas, the have dropped a bit in my savings and then when checking out citizens advise compairson, i saw Tonik would save me £143 a year, compared to the highest whcih was Iresa at £166 but im unsure with Iresa as read some bad reviews byt not been able to find many on Tonik but they seem to say they voted quite well for gas/energy on there site and trustedpilot gives some good reviews but unsure if these are friends etc

One thing i'm not sure about is the DD would be £44 but they say that will change later as they increase for winter and decrease in summer etc whereas atm BG who im with its a fixed amount each month regardless of summer or winter.

Alternatively, im looking at maybe Zog for Gas and Robin hood for elec but again unsure about robin hood as thought would be ok but so some not so ok reviews so can't decide whats best...

My feeling in Tonik is knew so maybe they wont be aroudn long or maybe they will be...

Thanks

Kev
    • Moon Keh
    • By Moon Keh 26th Jan 17, 1:28 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Moon Keh
    • 26th Jan 17, 1:28 PM
    • 26th Jan 17, 1:28 PM
    Robin Hood were my supplier at the time of writing. They still are. There were a few at that time (notably iSupply) who were cheaper, but I discounted them after a quick check on how quickly I got through to Customer Services.

Robin Hood were a little slower than I'd like at about 15 minutes, but their representative was so apologetic when he answered that I let them off. They've not been bad for me.

iSupply? Well, after 45 minutes on hold, still no answer, so I gave up.

One thing I've been told about Robin Hood is that the price varies quite a lot on a regional basis. Those in the Nottingham area appear to get a better deal, but as to what happens elsewhere, that's no better information than second-hand.

Finally, I'm a little surprised that a few comparison sites responded by suggesting a Nottingham only tariff for which I wasn't eligible. I checked and re-checked the data I'd entered, but I couldn't find an error and therefore I'm a bit bemused by what happened. It doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of their suggestions, and bearing in mind the number of comparison sites available, you'd have thought that this sort of thing not happening (albeit with a minority supplier) would have been a bit higher on their agenda.

...and just remembered that they want me to read my meter. So cheers for posting that!
    Signature on hold as I've seen no unused witty comments to plaigarise.
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 26th Jan 17, 4:58 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    kev2009
    Hi,

so you decided not to switch, i see - i'm tempted as they are offering me £143 saving on duel fuel, but as mentioned unsure, reviews are good but I suspect most of these are customers switching To them, i'm wondering what are they like if you want to move away from them later on....

Kev
    • kev2009
    • By kev2009 26th Jan 17, 4:59 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    kev2009
    oh i saw on there facebook they say they have been added to Satander 123 account's list of energy suppliers so you get the 2% cashback... couldn't find a way to confirm this on santanders site though..
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 26th Jan 17, 5:02 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @kev2009
    The page top check for the Santander 123 account is at http://www.santander.co.uk/info/current-accounts/123-current-account-cashback-search
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 26th Jan 17, 6:48 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    House Martin
    They were awarded their gas and electricity supply licences 3 months ago so any customer feedback on this forum is unlikely. They source their electricity from renewables and pay 3% interest on credit balances. A quick comparison reveals that they would be 25% more expensive for me if I decided to switch.

Like all new suppliers they suggest that they are going to do things differently. I have yet to find any supplier that lives up to this claim. After all, energy supply is little more than an accurate billing exercise.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Hengus, like me I think you have cracking pre brexit deals. Mine is tremendous and every supplier is at least 25% more than my deal, but when yours ends you, will find like I have, there are no good bargains out there. I have two properties at the moment now and the new one is possibly the cheapest in UK for my area but still 25% dearer than the Sainsburys Energy June 2017 fix. It was the best I could get at the time
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 26th Jan 17, 8:25 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Hengus, like me I think you have cracking pre brexit deals. Mine is tremendous and every supplier is at least 25% more than my deal, but when yours ends you, will find like I have, there are no good bargains out there. I have two properties at the moment now and the new one is possibly the cheapest in UK for my area but still 25% dearer than the Sainsburys Energy June 2017 fix. It was the best I could get at the time
    Originally posted by House Martin
    I think you're a bit behind?

Hengus switched to Iresa in early December.

You didn't opt for the cracking pre brexit E.on June 2018 fix, then?
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 15th Feb 17, 12:01 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    Has anyone else joined this company ....
    and is there Energy Switch Guarantee smooth as it sounds . .

https://twitter.com/tonikenergy

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/tonikenergy.com

https://www.facebook.com/tonikenergy/

https://en-gb.facebook.com/tonikenergy/reviews

https://www.energyswitchguarantee.com/signatories/

Last edited by Maxwell007; 15-02-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 16th Feb 17, 4:34 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    Tonik it is then pray for me lool
    My Energy Club results

Saving £260
    Economy Energy Cost £628yr
    £50 exit fee - very poor rating/being probed by ofgem

Savings £234
    Iresa Cost £655yr
    £0 exit fee – Poor reviews

Saving £178
    Tonik Cost £710yr
    £0 exit fee – 0 Reviews or feedback/100% renewable
    Energy Switch Guarantee

Savings £163
    Affect Cost £725yr
    £50 exit fee Great Reviews

Savings £153
    Avro Cost £735yr
    £0 exit fee mse Top Pick – Great Reviews

Iv got 14 days to change my mind . . .
    https://bigcommunityswitch.ichoosr.com/Product/index.rails?actionId=584
    Last edited by Maxwell007; 16-02-2017 at 4:41 PM.
    • christinajane
    • By christinajane 19th Feb 17, 4:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    christinajane
    Tonik
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering too whether this energy company was any good - checked on the cheap energy club and said i could save £148 pound a year.

I have been looking to change as npower have notified me of that price increase in March. I am on their standard tariff so I will be affected, hence why I was looking into cheaper deals.

If anyone has any tips or if they know if Tonik is any good then please let me know!

I am based in merseyside with an L8 postcode. What I get confused with is is the standing charges. They are more than what I will pay even after the price increase at npower but yet I will still save £148 potentially??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 3rd Mar 17, 12:00 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    All very smooth so far . . . .
    started switch from eon on the 15th feb
    letter from eon 1st mar
    new account set up & meter readings requested in the 3rd mar
    new DD date 8th mar

no issues yet . . .
    Last edited by Maxwell007; 03-03-2017 at 4:39 PM.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 18th Apr 17, 11:02 AM
    • 16,581 Posts
    • 26,793 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    All very smooth so far . . . .
    started switch from eon on the 15th feb
    letter from eon 1st mar
    new account set up & meter readings requested in the 3rd mar
    new DD date 8th mar

no issues yet . . .
    Originally posted by Maxwell007
    So 6 weeks later, how is it going? I'm tempted to go with them and switch away from Ovo (although I quite like Ovo, I like £120 a year savings better)
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 18th Apr 17, 3:22 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    I have to say PERFECT no BS
    all smooth its been painless and they answer the phone quickly lool
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

22Posts Today

3,789Users online

Martin's Twitter