Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 13th Nov 16, 9:21 PM
    • 641Posts
    • 1,475Thanks
    Shelbi
    3rd Time Lucky?!- Attempting to clear £6645.93 of debt in 105days (3months+13days)!!
    • 13th Nov 16, 9:21 PM
    3rd Time Lucky?!- Attempting to clear £6645.93 of debt in 105days (3months+13days)!! 13th Nov 16 at 9:21 PM
    Ok so have kinda messed up turns out Haliwax (cc2) have started charging interest 2 this month...seriously confused thought it had a much longer 0% interest term. So have stupidly opted for a 3 month 0% Interest balance when I should've got a longer term...only a £4 interest on a 3.5k balance but damn Im so annoyed with myself for this!! So basically both cards need to be paid off ASAP. so far daily payments made have been £2.11 pathetic I know but something at least. I think this shows me how much I need to sort this out. Im ready! So my plan is to pay 3 monthly instalments of £1048.64 to cc1 and 3 instalments of 59.01 to cc2 (£1107.65 total to be paid on the 1st each payday) I have to try to live on the rest £1237.39- maybe a little tricky but needs to be done. After the remaining balance of £3322.96 will be paid with February's pay (assuming I receive a bonus this year) New goal DFD 26 Feb 2016...105 days from now so google tells me (3months & 13days from today)...New Challenge..new diary...here goes!! *crosses fingers*....3rd Time lucky?!
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    step 1-1 debt vs 100days chpt27- £3452.25/£4603.46 (75%)- deadline 29.12.17
    Step2- cc £380.53/£5482.83 (6.94%) (offset £1500savings when mature-31/03/18)- deadline 01.05.2017- 37.99% of total Debt Overall
Page 6
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 30th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Thank you enthusiasticsaver...

Youre right it would be a good to concentrate on the credit card...but I figured since the overpayment is held in an account if the worse happened I'd just use that to pay the minimum on both until I got another job...the 0% on my card ends in May'18 so I think to play it safe ill just keep putting in the loan saving account until its complete...but without paying it over until the credit card tackled too...im not to worried about work as I was I've spoken to a few people about it and I feel come what may I'd really do thibk id be ok. Though always smart to have a good umbrella incase it rains. My savings for loan over payment could act as an emergency fund also.
    Thank you enthusiastic...For the food for thought& help...really very appreciated xX
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    Step2- cc £380.53/£5482.83 (6.94%) (offset £1500savings when mature-31/03/18)- deadline 01.05.2017- 37.99% of total Debt Overall
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 2nd Nov 17, 11:46 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Evening All,

So I have been MIA for a couple of days, well actually just lurking...Halloween was spent with girls watching free double bill fright night at our fave cinema, cheap night £6.77 on munchies and wine. Yesterday managed a NSD 1st one of the month, friends came over was an ace night. Today I spent my lunch time Christmas shopping on line, was a very welcome distraction. Stayed in budget using the additional £90 I had unbudgeted and trusty b00ts vouchers and a 20% NL discount adn some shuffling around. Managed to get 17 Xmas presents- these were friends and cousins kids. Feel abit more organised on it now and made some good savings on using points, 3for 2 and just cheap gifts under £5.

Had an interesting convo with OH today about work, debt etc...He really made me feel alot better about both situations. lunch was free leftovers and dinner was a chicken I precooked yesterday when dinner was made. Havent smoked for a whole month according to my app...and ive saved £147.47 not much progress made with dent payments will rebudget and make a small offering tomorrow. nothing more to report..night all x
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 4th Nov 17, 11:09 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Happy Saturday...

So yesterday I managed to log all my spending/figures etc and here's what I have remaining:

Petrol £10/
    Food £100/
    Dinner Date £50/£41.37
    Beauty £10/
    Clothes £10/£14.39- £4.39 overspend
    Work Night Out £40/
    Bonfire Night £30/£18
    Cinema with girls £20/£6.77
    Oyster top up £10
    Xmas shopping £87.77/£96.24- overspend £8.47
    additional spend to be reimb £0/£20

The shoes I got delievered don't fit so I will be returning them back for a refund. Will need to shell out for a wide fit pair, but will wait until next payday only 3 weeks to go.

Plan to also return a pair of jeans that werent long enough...will do this today. Will also get some wrapping paper and birthday cards form the high street.

Looking forward to this weekend, plan to have small fireworks display with Family tonight then to watch a large display with family tomorrow.

Have managed to get enough points $wag points for a £15 voucher so will redeem this today I think. x
    • Magpie100
    • By Magpie100 4th Nov 17, 2:34 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    Magpie100
    Wow, Shelbi! I am SO impressed! Well done on the not smoking - that is fantastic! I hope you have an app to tell you every day how much dosh you are saving. Amazing work.

And everything else sounds under control - good to see you facing up to your overspends - they are small in the scheme of things, so well done, but still good to note where you are going over so you can make sure things don't spiral out of control. I like your pay bills first then see what is left strategy.

How are things going on the brands front? Are you pining for your brand name cleaners, or have you not looked back?
    Have a great weekend and KEEP GOING. You are doing really well.
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 6th Nov 17, 8:49 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hi Magpie

Thank you!! I do indeed it really helps- have been smoke free for 1month 3days 12hr and £166 saving its crazy when buying boxes here and there It didnt seem like that much...Not only have I saved money but I feel alot better too...although weight has gone up a bit as im grazing now instead one problem at a time though Im very happy I just hope I can keep it up!

I'm trying to keep myself accountable working on the tips you and others gave me...borrowing some from other diaries...still learning but getting there

Was testing out pay over first and live off the rest which I borrowed from NSK It seems to be working well this month so I think I will stick to it as I go along...

Aww my beloved brand labels Im pleased to say I have kept most of the substitutions- Bleach, Wipes, handwash, tissue..even washing powder all store brand/basic..and ill be honest I havent noticed the difference at all...neither has OH The only thing I tried and went back to were the binliners..the cheap ones broke... but with the savings made we could splurge a little Ill buy a name brands product if I have money off coupons or a deal thats cheaper than ald1/no name products...making great savings here Thank you for the suggestions..they've worked a treat v I hope all is well with you!! xX
    Last edited by Shelbi; 06-11-2017 at 8:53 PM.
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 6th Nov 17, 9:58 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    So Ive updated my figures, checked my bank accounts updated my spreadsheet with the figures over the weekend, had a wonderful time with my family and OH...the fireworks displays were fab, although getting home was a bit of a palaver traffic was gridlock...beautiful display though...

My updated budget is:

Petrol- £10/£10
    Food- £100/£36.9 ~ £63.10 remaining
    Dining out/date night- £50/£41.37 ~ £8.63 remaining
    Beauty spend- £10/£15.99- overspend £5.99 [Highlighter, body moisturiser, hair relaxer, shampoo, hair oil- doing own hair rather than salon saving £50 here]
    Clothes- £10/£14.37- overspend £4.39 - shoes sent back so should eventually have this returned.
    Work Night out - £40/0- still to come
    Bonfire night- £30/28.16 -underspend £1.84
    Cinema w/girls- £20/£6.77 -underspend £13.23 another trip to come.
    Oyster top up -£10/£0- (out of zones exp)- not yet used
    Xmas Shop- £87.77/£100.82 (overspent £13.05)
    additional spend reimbursed £20- reimbursed
    Stupidity Tax -£0/£7.99- forgot to cancel my kindle subscription grrr...only positive can read books on organisation and money management this month. It has been cancelled now
    Interest added to loan- £25.08 - sent the same amount to offset loan account to rebalance, keeping my percentage

I think that leaves me with £80.03 for 3 weeks...(doable fingers crossed). I have a 40th birthday for OH's friend this week and a cinema trip planned (cheap night).

Today I redeemed the swagbucks will put it towards one of his gifts for xmas. Updated my budget, used my boots points to order another xmas present, a face cream and mud pack (got to start looking after my skin now im on the wrong side of 35. Will attempt at giving myself facial and a bit of pampering...a few more nights in I think...until next payday at least (bar the dates set above)..oh and work drinks...damn it! have budgeted for that though we usually whip it £20 but I've doubled it just in case...

Oh on route back from display I stopped to get petrol and the garage had a m&sfood to go, as it was late I found some fab yellow sticker bargains...sausages 85% meat (I think) was£2.80 for 80p (naturally I grabbed 3) some ready meals less than £1 each. happy days. ..guy said hes always throwing loads out..now i know the time will be sending OH on a late night run .. Have been reading Christmas threads really looking froward to this Christmas. Any money I manage to save will go to loan repay..Im rambling here, sorry for the essay... Have a fab evening guys x
    Last edited by Shelbi; 06-11-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 7th Nov 17, 10:46 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    !1
    Evening All,

Just a quick check in to keep me on the dfw wagon...Today was an ok day, work was a bit touch and go but in the end ended on a nice note... Lunch and breakfast were brought in... and whilst in b00ts picking up my cream and xmas prezzy (on points) I started browsing for a gift for OH friends 40th. I had no idea what to get her then it occurred to me I could regift her a scarf I got as a birthday present. It still has the label on and is just in the drawer gathering dust. Card I didn't bother buying either I have an assortment already, its not glitzy but I think/hope shell appreciate one without figures on it (not that there's anything wrong with being forty & fab) either way I appreciate not spending lol!

Nothing much to add really it was just a trying day in all...ready to go bed and start afresh

Night all x
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 8th Nov 17, 9:34 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 5,650 Thanks
    117pauline
    Morning Shelbi

I'm sorry I haven't been around your diary for a while so I decided to read everything from the start.

Reckon you have had your lightbulb moment well and truly!

Firstly the no smoking is fantastic for both your health, wellbeing and wallet. What a success!

Branded products - again you have really done well with this. I am wondering whether to dare refill my partner's branded rice crispies for an own brand however he is in his 60s so I'd better be careful with his heart (I am joking, honestly).

Meal planning - again some successes. Try not to shop when resentful, tired, annoyed or super happy.

Presents - sounds like you have a plan but you may need to up that category for next year's budget.

Now for a couple of suggestions .......

Menu planning
    You don't have to reinvent the wheel each month - yes, events will happen on different days but overall your favourite and go-to meals will stay the same or very similar.

If you menu plan on a spreadsheet, yes sounds awful but bear with me, you can quickly make up a plan once you have a few weeks entered. If the two of you come up with a list of favourite meals you can use that as well. I have even been known to make notes in the supermarket of meals I had forgotten or something that tickled my taste buds.

So my spreadsheet has
    • the plan for the month
    • ideas for meals
    • list of quick easy meals
    • other months plans
    • Christmas week/New year plan

Like Hidden, I don't plan strictly by the day but have a week's worth of meals planned for the week

Lastly, I quite often prepare a meal the day before. So Sunday evening I prep Monday's meal. Then on Monday evening whilst I finish Monday's meal, I prep for Tuesday. It can take a little while to get used to but I find it works

Sorry for the essay, I just wanted to give you a couple of new ideas

Shelbi, you should be so proud of what you have achieved in the last couple of months. You have knocked it out of the park!

Congratulations, Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 13th Nov 17, 2:02 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hi 117Pauline

Apologies for the delayed reply, I kept meaning to write but it has been a full on few days..Its so lovely to hear from you!! Thank you for taking the time to read my diary and also for the helpful pointers and tips Its soo appreciated!!
    I like to think I have had my lightbulb moment, am still trying to clear up my mess, although since my last post I haven't gotten any further (still need payday to come around again) on the plus side Ive stayed the course and haven't over spent I still am in the black and surviving ..no meltdowns/cc spends...paydays not for another 11 days ..yep I'm counting hehe!

My Purse is loving the savings from non smoking...It does feel great £198.22 so my little app tells me...Am really proud thank you!

Branded products - Haha!! I think your Hubby deserves his crispies...Best not to chance it bless him ....

"Meal planning - again some successes. Try not to shop when resentful, tired, annoyed or super happy" This really made me chuckle...Ill never shop again these are my main 4 settingsOr at least I seem to always be one of these when I get round to doing it!! However Thank you I will really take this onboard and arm myself with a list and not wonder...Im definitely still a work in progress in this department.

"Presents - sounds like you have a plan but you may need to up that category for next year's budget." I have also been thinking this- I think next year I will do the £2 a day xmas saving challenge to soften the blow too

"Now for a couple of suggestions ......." Massive thank you for all of these, they are really helpful and I will be trying to implement all of them...I started a meal plan spreadsheet (its early stages but you're so right when completed It will make my life 10 times easier... Thank you!!
    I'm going to try the coking the night before or at least cook two meals in 1 evening (todays & tomorrows) save on oven use too....really loved that idea I just need to get into the kitchen...and see what I can do...This week we've been living out of the freezer. not much planning but I really need to do this as since I quit smoking my weight has shot up...I wasn't exactly skinny to begin with but I definitely need to plan and eat a lot better...so forward prep is fab...Thank you so very much...I will let you know how I get on....& if I manage to avoid poisoning OH...personally a little food poisioning will help us shed some pounds Totally kidding!!

Thank you 117Pauline I hope you have a wonderful week ahead

Take Care,
    Shelbi x
    Last edited by Shelbi; 13-11-2017 at 2:05 PM.
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 16th Nov 17, 10:19 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    3 days since my last check in

Its been a pretty good week so far, works been busy so thats been keeping me occupied...almost managed an NSD today but brought a bottle of red on the way home.

I've really done nothing but work this week and last for that matter, trying to get a jump on and finish off all my projects...
    I did have a really fun girly night out to the cinema which was fab (and cheap night £5).

I received an email that that some of the presents I ordered are not in stock so I was charged less. Think instead I will try and nab these ones from homebuy's or poundland...some great finds in there so far.
    Also received the refund for my shoes and a quidco reimbursement. Accounts not looking too bad with 8 days left to go...countdown begins!! Nothing really to report just playing the usual waiting game! Oh I did find a new audio from Dave Ramsey..."more than" or something like that...renewed my mission..just need payday lol!

Im rambling...sorry im over tired.

Hope everyone had a great day!
    Last edited by Shelbi; 17-11-2017 at 8:22 PM.
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 19th Nov 17, 5:18 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Evening diaryland,

This weekend has managed to be a no spend weekend. I awoke Saturday feeling under the weather and spent most of the day on the sofa under a duvet. Silver linings to everything I guess! Am feeling better now but figured I best stay home and have a lazy day... Be fighting fit for the week ahead. Washing done, rooms cleaned, took a stroll in the park to get fresh air...not much else to report .

Plan to work on Novembers budget tomorrow afternoon...One week until payday... still here, still plodding on!! Happy Sunday everyone xX
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 23rd Nov 17, 9:07 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Evening all its payday eve for me...and Im really looking forward to taking another chunk off my debt balance...There's 36 days and 2 pay days and a remaining balance of £2301.73 standing between me and pay 1debt In 100days challenge. That means I need to pay £1150.87 over the next 2 salaries (oh plus a bit extra for interest and early repayment fee) lets call it £1200 to cover the fees. I will request a repayment schedule from the bank tomorrow and find out what the fees will be. Yes so first thing will be pay that to the loan account (additional repayment account).

I think I can do this, I just need to stay the course. I did have a plan but I dont have it with me to update so I will do so in my lunch break tomorrow. Along with my mini challenges to help me hit my goals....super excited about Christmas and life in general!

sorry its a mini entry! hope everyones well...

Shelbi X
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 24th Nov 17, 2:04 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hi All,

An update as promised... Today I updated my budget and 1% payment grids. Which showed that I had made an error on CC2 and by including todays payment of £117 I have now hit 7%.
    I paid over £1142 to loan account (&loan early repay ac) which gives me £3452.25- 75% paid off

I then paid over my rent, the rest of the household/monthly bills (mobile/c/tax/ car tax etc) will be taken by dd at the beginning of the month.

I wont lie and say I didn't do some Christmas shopping in the sales and I brought myself some clothes-all budgeted for.
    So far as I know I have 3nights out this month Nov-Dec, 1 baby shower, 1 birthday lunch before the next payday

Budget (costs still to come) is as follows (non dd):

Petrol- £20/0
    Mobiles - £40/0
    Oyster Top up -£10/0
    Food Shopping- £170/£38.53
    Dinning out/date night- £100/£100(tickets pre-purchased)
    Xmas presents- £100/119.18
    birthday present- £20/£0
    Baby shower- £50/£46.99
    Beauty- £10/£0
    Clothing- £100/£101.23
    Work night out- £20/£0
    Birthday lunch- £30/£0
    Night out- £30/£0
    Costco - £33.60/ £33.60

Now debit card is firmly put away I will be using a cash basis to keep myself reigned in. That pretty much all I have today. Will update my mini goals later lunch time is coming to an end

Have a fab day...
    Shelbi x
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 27th Nov 17, 11:11 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Evening all,

Happy Monday all...almose December the final week!! super excited...so this weekend wasnt too spendy! Had date night with OH, prebooked and paid for! went to visit my family only £5 top up on oyster there. Lunch with the girls £40..£10 over budget oh and 2 new pairs of jeans as mine were freying &dont ...I could put if off no longer £25. cheap and cheerful. simple black and blue. not budgeted for....then I got a blessing. An IOU came back to me £70 which was very very nice!

Today work was ok just got on with it really nothing to write home about...had a nice NSD, brought in lunch. Thought i was organised then realised im not, spent train home writing to do lists.

Positive (little wins)
    1. NSD
    2. Have my to do list
    3. Found and have made use of my kindle
    4. downloaded 10 books on frugaldom for free- time to eductate myself
    5. read one book today (helped by long wait on the tube)
    6. recieved £15 swag bucks gift voucher numbers
    7. listened to Rachel Cruze book for free - more education
    8. feeling blessed no matter what

On that note Ill say good night
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 4th Dec 17, 11:25 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hey diaryland,

Sorry I've been offline/ lurking for a while. I I managed a no spend weekend by staying in on Saturday and sticking to soft drinks when out with friends Sunday. Was a lovely day and spent my evening alert refreshed...may have had a cheeky glass when I got home but hey that was free!!

1 MSE move that i made this week was contact my mobile provider to get my puk code (contract runs out 30 Jan) but saw a deal so was going to opt out..happily my provider matched the deal £2 over so £13.99 for 12gb dater, free text&calls and to top it off started it from that day to keep my custom, no chopping and switching and let me off 3 months on pants contract I had (£27.50 for 2gb)...so much better no more running low on data for me! lovely little saving!! celebrated by paying a 1% to loan account. upto 76% on debt 1.
    Aww I got my early payment loan settlement it was £60 more than the total so I will look to do this on next payday...I cant wait..

right time for bed...sweet dreams MSE xxx
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 5th Dec 17, 2:50 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    Sounds like some good progress, Shelbi! Good news on the mobile phone contract!

Keep up the excellent debt slaying!
    Since 1st September 2017
    CC1: £paid off/£1,253.73 | CC2: £1,002.21/£9,124.15 | CC3: £paid off/£312.34 | Car Finance: £631.64/£1,894.92
    Total CC Repayments: £2,568.28/£10,690.22 (24.02%) | Total Debt Repayments: £3,200.00/£12,585.14 (25.42%)
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 5th Dec 17, 11:03 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Thanks DSL I feel like I am, definitely in a better frame of mind than when I started..have a couple of mono wobbles but Im getting there...took a leaf out of your book and a few others on hear and got the subscription to YNAB so I can see exactly where my moneys going...and catch those odds tht i forget to recall...

I love my spreadsheet to bits but I think this will help me become more accountable... Already gave me a mental boost when I when I added my loan op account and my savings I found I already had enough to cover my loan (shame I cant touch the savings till March) I also had £400 extra to spare in the savings kitty ..so technically im already working towards paying off my last debt the dreaded £5102.27 sorry £4702.27 remaining (including the additional £400 after the the offset of loan and savings.. even though its not actually paid as I dont have the £1500 at my disposal it gave me a real mental boost like this is achievable and more achievable than I thought...I may even be able to clear it sooner than May...but Ill stick with May total DFD as I dont want to overstretch or tumble off the wagon...ive got previous :/

I wanted to send thanks to you and others who suggested I get YNAB, it was worth the investment for the additional mental boost..and greater control....thank you it was your monthly budget review updates that swayed me...

apologies for the essay (I ramble) when tired..happy Tuesday fellow debt slayers hope its been a good one.

Shelbi x
    • DrSpendLittle
    • By DrSpendLittle 6th Dec 17, 12:15 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    DrSpendLittle
    Aaah, really good to hear that you've taken the YNAB plunge and its working for you!

I'm a visual person so I like to 'see' my money and 'look ahead' to next month and the month after budgets and see what my money will look like. YNAB is perfect for that. I've done my monthly budgets up to December 2018 and my DFD is probably now August 2018. It's really nice to be able to 'see' how this month's budget fits into the bigger journey towards being debt free. I couldn't recommend YNAB more.

As for wobbles, we all have them! I spent far too much money on clothes in November but I felt I needed a little blow out as I'd worked hard to reduce my debt since August. I didn't go into debt to do it, just used some colourful accounting () to spread the cost from November to December! As long as you recognise the wobble and reconfigure yourself the next month, you'll still be making progress!
    Since 1st September 2017
    CC1: £paid off/£1,253.73 | CC2: £1,002.21/£9,124.15 | CC3: £paid off/£312.34 | Car Finance: £631.64/£1,894.92
    Total CC Repayments: £2,568.28/£10,690.22 (24.02%) | Total Debt Repayments: £3,200.00/£12,585.14 (25.42%)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

5,958Users online

Martin's Twitter