Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 13th Nov 16, 9:21 PM
    • 619Posts
    • 1,393Thanks
    Shelbi
    3rd Time Lucky?!- Attempting to clear £6645.93 of debt in 105days (3months+13days)!!
    • 13th Nov 16, 9:21 PM
    3rd Time Lucky?!- Attempting to clear £6645.93 of debt in 105days (3months+13days)!! 13th Nov 16 at 9:21 PM
    Ok so have kinda messed up turns out Haliwax (cc2) have started charging interest 2 this month...seriously confused thought it had a much longer 0% interest term. So have stupidly opted for a 3 month 0% Interest balance when I should've got a longer term...only a £4 interest on a 3.5k balance but damn Im so annoyed with myself for this!! So basically both cards need to be paid off ASAP. so far daily payments made have been £2.11 pathetic I know but something at least. I think this shows me how much I need to sort this out. Im ready! So my plan is to pay 3 monthly instalments of £1048.64 to cc1 and 3 instalments of 59.01 to cc2 (£1107.65 total to be paid on the 1st each payday) I have to try to live on the rest £1237.39- maybe a little tricky but needs to be done. After the remaining balance of £3322.96 will be paid with February's pay (assuming I receive a bonus this year) New goal DFD 26 Feb 2016...105 days from now so google tells me (3months & 13days from today)...New Challenge..new diary...here goes!! *crosses fingers*....3rd Time lucky?!
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    1 debt vs 100days chpt27- £1056.76/£4603.46
    & cc £171.17/£5482.83 (offset £1500savings when mature-31/03/18)
    Organised October #5- NSD 6/16
Page 5
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 9th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Shelbi
    almost forgot budget as it stands:-

Budget as it stands:
    Grocery budget- £65.38/ £42.38
    Going out- £50/£20
    Occasions (gifts) -£30/£11.32
    Wedding gift -£50/£0
    Beauty- £10/£5
    Clothes- £40/£18.05
    Petrol- £20
    Christmas shopping - £30/£0...

Sx
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 23,089 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Eek! That's why I love my 'ping ding ready meals' Plus my littles feel like it's a treat when they get to choose what they want

I use any cookie recipe/biscuit recipe mainly really basic ones because I like to keep things simple. I love the bero book. Also flapjack and things are easy/cheap and last a while once made.
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 10th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Aww bless them...I feel exactly the same as tje littles tis like xmas also turned out to be a blessing as I manage to get it again as dinner when i got home. OH had the guy's over and made a chicken dish which is was way to spicy for me...

Thank you for the help...im looking forward to baking cookies...have flour, caster sugar added to my shopping list...will attempt a batch at the weekend..I'm pretty excited! Thank you Hidden!!!

Today was a no spend day, i managed a couple of swagbucks surveys and got a new signer bonus upto 2014 SB and had £2.92 confirmed with quidco. All in all a good day!

Did a Christmas budget and estimated id need £310 for presents..im trying to cut that right down...is it bad to gift kids chocolate selection boxes? or a tub of hero's for my cousins kids...or is that too scrooge like A very savvy colleage gave me the idea today but Im not sure how itll float... Ideally Id like to pay £200 all in...wishful thinking on my part but ill give it a go.

Other than that nothing really to report...a quiet lonnng day

hope everyone had a great day x
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 12th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Afternoon MSE,

quick update, yesterday I did a food shop (begrudgingly- came home to no food and fought sod it- result went over budget, armed with my list I still went OTT, though im happy to say it was all meat, veg and cans- the freezer is fully stocked so should take us up to payday came in at £67.79 ..I clearly need more work on this. That takes out my beauty £5 and Xmas Shop (which I will swap with petrol budget if I don't need to top up my car before payday).

Yesterday I received an email from TFL to let me know refund of £131 is on it way to me That'll go straight to the loan offset account.

Plan for the next few months is to try to pay £1138.57 for months of Oct, Nov, Dec to hit loan repayment target.

Well that's it for now. Happy Thursday guys! x
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 16th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hi All,

Ive not strayed far or stopped my debt busting, I'm just waiting to be paid again! Weekend was pretty quiet Saturday was spent with family and Sunday OH treated me to a gorgeous lunch...Id missed that a bit so was a really lovely treat!! I was very naughty today and had a shop bought lunch... I had budget for it...but after could've made it myself for half the price..so definitely had a bit of buyers remorse! lol

Got to work on my budget for Oct-Nov at lunch, giving every pound a purpose as they say roll on payday, cant wait to make some more dents in my debt. I absolutely love budgeting lol!

Still no refund on my credit card...have emailed. I created a 100grid to colour off and keep me on track up to 22.95% on my 1 debt vs 100days not too shabby!

just watched some negotiating a payrise thing on 4...Do I feel lucky? lol!
    Nothing else to update no other changes..lifes kinda quiet right now

Sx
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 18th Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Afternoon Diaryland,

Just checking in...I'm still here I'm still determined and still on the wagon I just haven't had much movement waiting out the month waiting for payday...I have been reading diaries for inspiration...currently working my way through seasidegal's who paid off 31000 of debt, really helping me stay the course.

NSD today and yesterday.. managed to bring in left overs from yesterday.......god I wish it was payday already lol!

Happy Wednesday guys

Sx
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 18th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I know exactly how you feel waiting for payday although I'm waiting for my next student finance which doesn't arrive until January! I'm determined to keep checking in even if I post pointless rubbish in my diary! It still keeps my focus and keeps me on the straight and narrow.
    Debt 14/10/17/20/9/17 5395.16/5690.50 = Loan: 2065.32/2207.38 Car Loan: 2292.94/2419.64 0% CC: 1036.90/1063.48 DFD April 19 (Target Dec 18).
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: £110.51/£150..NSD October 12/15
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 18th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Another one here waiting for payday... seems to be constantly thinking about the next payday!
    You are still doing fab 3rd time lucky.. cheering you on
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 18th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi Shelbi

Looks as though you have started your challenge really well.

But..... I am a bit worried you are making yourself an unrealistic budget. You have cut down your spending to such a degree, there is a serious chance you will rebel. Take an extra couple of months but get there, if you see what I mean.

Just one example... you both had forgotten to take the chicken out of the freezer, you bought 2 M&S £10 meal deals yet you have an Aldi at the end of your road. That £20 is a huge proportion of your grocery bill.

Perhaps you could make your grocery budget slightly larger so you can plan in a couple of "special" meals during the month. Or have a look at the Fake Takeaway recipe book which aims to mimic takeaways and gets good reviews.

My final suggestion, if you have managed this far, is to look back at the last month and compare the spends. I think it will surprise you just what you have achieved and saved.

Have you decided how you are going to keep the "put away" money separate and ready for when you need it?

Also I have a loan to which I can make repayments at any time so I pay off bits and bobs as I get them. This way it reduces the overall interest.

You are doing brilliantly so please don't take these comments as criticisms. I am very much an all or nothing kind of a gal, shame it seems I am more nothing !!

Good luck, take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 20th Oct 17, 12:47 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 1,393 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hi Happierdays, Debtfreeduo and Pauline117

Thank you so much for your messages, I always get so excited to read them, I appreciate the support & knowing there are people on the same journey. Its sometimes hard as honestly half my friends I have no idea how they are financially...I mean a few I have a general idea but we don't discuss it in detail..its funny as we talk about everything under the sun..relationships, babies/kids (theirs obvs), work, politics,fashion, celebs...but money...nope not really....I often wonder if they have hidden debts, how much they get paid, if they really are running a family home of 4 and what the hell their secrets are to success & making it look so easy...Why I've never asked I don't know. Its only the last 2 years of our 12 year friendship we all revealed how much we were paid.

Not to wish my life away but if I could fast forward a little sometimes that last week of the month I would saying that I have a few fun bits planned with friends but I really do want to crack on get paid so I can slay some debt.

Sorry I'm rambling a bit, I do that when I'm tired...DebtfreeDuo, I remember those days too...student finance..you can do it...will be here encouraging you to keep on too...will soon blink and it will be January...**I am wishing with you**!!

Happierdays Thank you!! I think waiting on pay day is part of the mse way...I never waited on it when I was using my credit cards...now with out them its like water torture

Did notice on Seasides Blog she set a weekly budget as she reported weekly..i may try that so its not so bad...then I feel im paying off something...then again NSK blog used to say pay it first live on the rest....Both Superb debtslayers

Pauline117 Thank you for your lovely comments, honestly I really do appreciate them, they help me improve and find new better ways to do things...so please feel free I'm a little concerned too on the cold turkey method, honestly It probably would've been better to reduce my spending bit by bit I and taken longer....definitely an all or nothing but this time I want longevity and to clear this once and for all...I have slipped into old habits like M&5 dine in and pret lunches...I absolutely love the idea of special meals budget! Thank you I will add that in to this months budget...My Food shopping definitely needs work, I will up it and I think I need to refine this meal planning thing for sure...I am getting good using up food and eating left overs...our food waste has gone down for sure Fakeaways I will look into that see if I can source a book! That is a brilliant idea!

My loan doesn't allow for extra payments (I wish it did) so I'm currently putting the additional funds in a separate bank account which I can transfer into and out of but don't use via card withdrawals (as i forgot the pin)...I thought Id have been tempted with this but I genuinely haven't touched it...just enjoying trying to top it up, leaving it to build up until there's enough to pay off the loan and close the account.

I wont lie and say that I havent been thinking that I need this or that...Yesterday I was eyeing up a chest freezer and today was picking out a new work wardrobe...I have problems..but I didnt buy either reasoned the freezer can wait until im not 10k in debt/or the old one dies and the new clothes I snubbed as didnt want to buy any new clothes until ive dropped a dress size...I wont say until im out of debt as that wont happen I enjoy shopping a bit....still I spent hardly nothing this month and next month will allow myself some well thought out piece's in budget..I need some winter jumpers..

I think this month compared to the last month my bank accounts has seen a massive difference...I havent used my credit card, Ive spent/saved less than ive earned...if only just! I'm also really eager this time to do it right...I know i'm prone to binge spending and throwing away money...I really want to be in a position where i'm weird as Dave Ramsey says and I don't owe anyone a dime or penny n my case

I feel like I've wasted so much time and set myself back so much with my previous behavior and if I don't change now I'll never be out of it!

I genuinely welcome any advice you guys have as I really want to make it, I'm so eager to have the loan and card paid off, then an emergency fund built up and just have some peace...I also want to stick to something for a change...I want to be better at this money thing..so please know I am really grateful for any help, tips cheats

Round up of the day- was good, a non spend day, another non smoking day...another im waiting for payday day lol!

night everyone sorry for the long post...Im over tired...hope you have a fab day tomorrow..G'night X
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin