Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 13th Nov 16, 9:21 PM
    • 641Posts
    • 1,475Thanks
    Shelbi
    3rd Time Lucky?!- Attempting to clear £6645.93 of debt in 105days (3months+13days)!!
    • 13th Nov 16, 9:21 PM
    3rd Time Lucky?!- Attempting to clear £6645.93 of debt in 105days (3months+13days)!! 13th Nov 16 at 9:21 PM
    Ok so have kinda messed up turns out Haliwax (cc2) have started charging interest 2 this month...seriously confused thought it had a much longer 0% interest term. So have stupidly opted for a 3 month 0% Interest balance when I should've got a longer term...only a £4 interest on a 3.5k balance but damn Im so annoyed with myself for this!! So basically both cards need to be paid off ASAP. so far daily payments made have been £2.11 pathetic I know but something at least. I think this shows me how much I need to sort this out. Im ready! So my plan is to pay 3 monthly instalments of £1048.64 to cc1 and 3 instalments of 59.01 to cc2 (£1107.65 total to be paid on the 1st each payday) I have to try to live on the rest £1237.39- maybe a little tricky but needs to be done. After the remaining balance of £3322.96 will be paid with February's pay (assuming I receive a bonus this year) New goal DFD 26 Feb 2016...105 days from now so google tells me (3months & 13days from today)...New Challenge..new diary...here goes!! *crosses fingers*....3rd Time lucky?!
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    step 1-1 debt vs 100days chpt27- £3452.25/£4603.46 (75%)- deadline 29.12.17
    Step2- cc £380.53/£5482.83 (6.94%) (offset £1500savings when mature-31/03/18)- deadline 01.05.2017- 37.99% of total Debt Overall
Page 5
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 9th Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    almost forgot budget as it stands:-

Budget as it stands:
    Grocery budget- £65.38/ £42.38
    Going out- £50/£20
    Occasions (gifts) -£30/£11.32
    Wedding gift -£50/£0
    Beauty- £10/£5
    Clothes- £40/£18.05
    Petrol- £20
    Christmas shopping - £30/£0...

Sx
    If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off & try again... Debt at 5th attempt
    Step2- cc £380.53/£5482.83 (6.94%) (offset £1500savings when mature-31/03/18)- deadline 01.05.2017- 37.99% of total Debt Overall
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,459 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Eek! That's why I love my 'ping ding ready meals' Plus my littles feel like it's a treat when they get to choose what they want

I use any cookie recipe/biscuit recipe mainly really basic ones because I like to keep things simple. I love the bero book. Also flapjack and things are easy/cheap and last a while once made.
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 10th Oct 17, 9:46 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Aww bless them...I feel exactly the same as tje littles tis like xmas also turned out to be a blessing as I manage to get it again as dinner when i got home. OH had the guy's over and made a chicken dish which is was way to spicy for me...

Thank you for the help...im looking forward to baking cookies...have flour, caster sugar added to my shopping list...will attempt a batch at the weekend..I'm pretty excited! Thank you Hidden!!!

Today was a no spend day, i managed a couple of swagbucks surveys and got a new signer bonus upto 2014 SB and had £2.92 confirmed with quidco. All in all a good day!

Did a Christmas budget and estimated id need £310 for presents..im trying to cut that right down...is it bad to gift kids chocolate selection boxes? or a tub of hero's for my cousins kids...or is that too scrooge like A very savvy colleage gave me the idea today but Im not sure how itll float... Ideally Id like to pay £200 all in...wishful thinking on my part but ill give it a go.

Other than that nothing really to report...a quiet lonnng day

hope everyone had a great day x
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 12th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Afternoon MSE,

quick update, yesterday I did a food shop (begrudgingly- came home to no food and fought sod it- result went over budget, armed with my list I still went OTT, though im happy to say it was all meat, veg and cans- the freezer is fully stocked so should take us up to payday came in at £67.79 ..I clearly need more work on this. That takes out my beauty £5 and Xmas Shop (which I will swap with petrol budget if I don't need to top up my car before payday).

Yesterday I received an email from TFL to let me know refund of £131 is on it way to me That'll go straight to the loan offset account.

Plan for the next few months is to try to pay £1138.57 for months of Oct, Nov, Dec to hit loan repayment target.

Well that's it for now. Happy Thursday guys! x
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 16th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hi All,

Ive not strayed far or stopped my debt busting, I'm just waiting to be paid again! Weekend was pretty quiet Saturday was spent with family and Sunday OH treated me to a gorgeous lunch...Id missed that a bit so was a really lovely treat!! I was very naughty today and had a shop bought lunch... I had budget for it...but after could've made it myself for half the price..so definitely had a bit of buyers remorse! lol

Got to work on my budget for Oct-Nov at lunch, giving every pound a purpose as they say roll on payday, cant wait to make some more dents in my debt. I absolutely love budgeting lol!

Still no refund on my credit card...have emailed. I created a 100grid to colour off and keep me on track up to 22.95% on my 1 debt vs 100days not too shabby!

just watched some negotiating a payrise thing on 4...Do I feel lucky? lol!
    Nothing else to update no other changes..lifes kinda quiet right now

Sx
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 18th Oct 17, 1:28 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Afternoon Diaryland,

Just checking in...I'm still here I'm still determined and still on the wagon I just haven't had much movement waiting out the month waiting for payday...I have been reading diaries for inspiration...currently working my way through seasidegal's who paid off 31000 of debt, really helping me stay the course.

NSD today and yesterday.. managed to bring in left overs from yesterday.......god I wish it was payday already lol!

Happy Wednesday guys

Sx
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 18th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I know exactly how you feel waiting for payday although I'm waiting for my next student finance which doesn't arrive until January! I'm determined to keep checking in even if I post pointless rubbish in my diary! It still keeps my focus and keeps me on the straight and narrow.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 18th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Another one here waiting for payday... seems to be constantly thinking about the next payday!
    You are still doing fab 3rd time lucky.. cheering you on
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 18th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 5,627 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi Shelbi

Looks as though you have started your challenge really well.

But..... I am a bit worried you are making yourself an unrealistic budget. You have cut down your spending to such a degree, there is a serious chance you will rebel. Take an extra couple of months but get there, if you see what I mean.

Just one example... you both had forgotten to take the chicken out of the freezer, you bought 2 M&S £10 meal deals yet you have an Aldi at the end of your road. That £20 is a huge proportion of your grocery bill.

Perhaps you could make your grocery budget slightly larger so you can plan in a couple of "special" meals during the month. Or have a look at the Fake Takeaway recipe book which aims to mimic takeaways and gets good reviews.

My final suggestion, if you have managed this far, is to look back at the last month and compare the spends. I think it will surprise you just what you have achieved and saved.

Have you decided how you are going to keep the "put away" money separate and ready for when you need it?

Also I have a loan to which I can make repayments at any time so I pay off bits and bobs as I get them. This way it reduces the overall interest.

You are doing brilliantly so please don't take these comments as criticisms. I am very much an all or nothing kind of a gal, shame it seems I am more nothing !!

Good luck, take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 20th Oct 17, 12:47 AM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hi Happierdays, Debtfreeduo and Pauline117

Thank you so much for your messages, I always get so excited to read them, I appreciate the support & knowing there are people on the same journey. Its sometimes hard as honestly half my friends I have no idea how they are financially...I mean a few I have a general idea but we don't discuss it in detail..its funny as we talk about everything under the sun..relationships, babies/kids (theirs obvs), work, politics,fashion, celebs...but money...nope not really....I often wonder if they have hidden debts, how much they get paid, if they really are running a family home of 4 and what the hell their secrets are to success & making it look so easy...Why I've never asked I don't know. Its only the last 2 years of our 12 year friendship we all revealed how much we were paid.

Not to wish my life away but if I could fast forward a little sometimes that last week of the month I would saying that I have a few fun bits planned with friends but I really do want to crack on get paid so I can slay some debt.

Sorry I'm rambling a bit, I do that when I'm tired...DebtfreeDuo, I remember those days too...student finance..you can do it...will be here encouraging you to keep on too...will soon blink and it will be January...**I am wishing with you**!!

Happierdays Thank you!! I think waiting on pay day is part of the mse way...I never waited on it when I was using my credit cards...now with out them its like water torture

Did notice on Seasides Blog she set a weekly budget as she reported weekly..i may try that so its not so bad...then I feel im paying off something...then again NSK blog used to say pay it first live on the rest....Both Superb debtslayers

Pauline117 Thank you for your lovely comments, honestly I really do appreciate them, they help me improve and find new better ways to do things...so please feel free I'm a little concerned too on the cold turkey method, honestly It probably would've been better to reduce my spending bit by bit I and taken longer....definitely an all or nothing but this time I want longevity and to clear this once and for all...I have slipped into old habits like M&5 dine in and pret lunches...I absolutely love the idea of special meals budget! Thank you I will add that in to this months budget...My Food shopping definitely needs work, I will up it and I think I need to refine this meal planning thing for sure...I am getting good using up food and eating left overs...our food waste has gone down for sure Fakeaways I will look into that see if I can source a book! That is a brilliant idea!

My loan doesn't allow for extra payments (I wish it did) so I'm currently putting the additional funds in a separate bank account which I can transfer into and out of but don't use via card withdrawals (as i forgot the pin)...I thought Id have been tempted with this but I genuinely haven't touched it...just enjoying trying to top it up, leaving it to build up until there's enough to pay off the loan and close the account.

I wont lie and say that I havent been thinking that I need this or that...Yesterday I was eyeing up a chest freezer and today was picking out a new work wardrobe...I have problems..but I didnt buy either reasoned the freezer can wait until im not 10k in debt/or the old one dies and the new clothes I snubbed as didnt want to buy any new clothes until ive dropped a dress size...I wont say until im out of debt as that wont happen I enjoy shopping a bit....still I spent hardly nothing this month and next month will allow myself some well thought out piece's in budget..I need some winter jumpers..

I think this month compared to the last month my bank accounts has seen a massive difference...I havent used my credit card, Ive spent/saved less than ive earned...if only just! I'm also really eager this time to do it right...I know i'm prone to binge spending and throwing away money...I really want to be in a position where i'm weird as Dave Ramsey says and I don't owe anyone a dime or penny n my case

I feel like I've wasted so much time and set myself back so much with my previous behavior and if I don't change now I'll never be out of it!

I genuinely welcome any advice you guys have as I really want to make it, I'm so eager to have the loan and card paid off, then an emergency fund built up and just have some peace...I also want to stick to something for a change...I want to be better at this money thing..so please know I am really grateful for any help, tips cheats

Round up of the day- was good, a non spend day, another non smoking day...another im waiting for payday day lol!

night everyone sorry for the long post...Im over tired...hope you have a fab day tomorrow..G'night X
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 20th Oct 17, 8:49 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I think money is one of those topics that people just don't talk about, people like to appear a certain way and talking about their finances might take away from that. I certainly don't talk about my position to anyone, not even my family unless I really need to.

Thank you, it is tough on student finance as you have to budget for the next 3/4 months rather than the next one month and if I miscalculate something then I will be in a mess for a longer period but I'm getting there. I have already done my budget for Jan-May, have included all birthdays and virtually put that to one side and worked out how much I can overpay. I do have the comfort that if I do overpay too much then I do have a 0% overdraft I can dip into but I will only do this in an emergency and it would be a lot less than the overpayment I had made.

It is dangerous not being able to overpay and having to do it via saving to pay the whole thing off instead, I think it leaves a little more temptation but it sounds like you're doing great. Why don't you consider giving yourself a pot that you can add to each month for when you feel you really need to buy something for yourself? This will help keep any temptation of dipping into your loan repayment account.

You do sound more ready now than before, I think now you know that its going to be a longer process and it requires a change in your mindset rather than not looking at all areas of spending and wanting to pay every penny but then leaving yourself short. I think we need to remember that we can still allow ourselves treats but we must budget for them or earn extra to cover them.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 20th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hey Debtfreeduo

Its true money is definitely a subject we skip over..its more tboo and tends to make people uncomfortable...Its a shame really, we could help and learn from one another...I keep my situation pretty much to myself

Oh my gosh budgeting 3/4 months is amazing...you must be so great at it budgeting...I have to say i'm really impressed by that, It must take great effort and organisation to factor in everything...Its awesome you will only use your overdraft in case of an emergency. I remember I used mine way up until a few years back though it wasnt 0% by then. I feel like im getting better but will definitely be taking your advice creating a more realistic budget & factor in treats to keep me from any major blow outs... Thank you honey!! will post it shortly...very much appreciated xX
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 20th Oct 17, 11:35 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    So after a few colleagues leaving my work place over the past year today I found out (unofficially) that a few people are not getting their contracts renewed. They are really lovely people, friendly smart, people that are genuinely great/fun to work with. Its sad really.

I cant help thinking although I'm on a different team and I'm on a fixed contract it doesn't mean I'm in the clear. I'm not worried about finding employment if it came to that...I just really dislike the uncertainty and the tension its creating. One things for sure Its definitely the motivation to stay the course and clean up these debts.

More debt busting and being alert and ready for whatever's coming next.. Happy Friday everyone... Oh a low spend day £4 treats for office- it was Friday and needed....The atmosphere was grim! Other than that it was a nice day...am really glad its the weekend though. Happy for the break.

Sx
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 21st Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I'm not great at budgeting I just don't have much choice. My spreadsheet does all the work for me, I have all of my bills input for the year along with the income when its due in, any balance that is left when I receive my next payment gets split into different pots. I also factor in any upcoming birthdays or events or yearly costs and deduct that too.

The uncertainty of anything is definitely the worst thing, I currently have uncertainty on my living situation, I've been here a long time and I'm worried at the thought of having to find somewhere else to live but I'm hoping it won't come to that. Whilst debt busting these things definitely help us realise just how important that emergency fund is for things like this arising.
    SPC 586
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 25th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Hi Debtfreeduo...Yore so right not knowing is definitely a horrible feeling and is definitely inspiring me to keep my debt busting going and get a fully loaded emergency fun asap... I love the different pot idea, and factoring in up and coming birthdays...I have been trying to do that in my budget but can only do a couple of months at a time- anymore fries my brain but im working on it!! I feel a lot better now...as OH keeps telling me no point worrying until something happens and come what may id be fine...hes right not that id ever tell him so...In the mean time Im still working on this.

Hope your having a fab week honey! x
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 25th Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    So its almost payday and although ive been MIA im still on the wagon...ive just been getting out of the flat a little... no overdraft/credit card or savings were used. Ive managed to put away a little more- so my end of the month figure for Oct is £1213.22/4603.46 (26% of my 100% grid)... I so cant wait for payday Im ready for the next part...Ive been inspired by recent events its made me more determined to shift my debts and get sorted. Hope everyone had a fab day today..x
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 25th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    26% is fab! Well done and I'm glad you have been staying on top of things even though you have been away from here, I think the worst thing we can do is lose our focus and not check in, I know for me that always means that I'm spending on things I shouldn't be! Have a lovely evening.
    SPC 586
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 29th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Happy Sunday!! updates
    Hi debtfreeduo, Thank you hun, I'm getting there slowly but surely I definitely need to check in more frequently...You're right It helps massively.. Any time Ive failed before was due to not checking in and leading myself astray I hope all is well with you hun and youve had a fab weekend xX

Thankfully this time I've been away but I'm still debtslaying...payday has been and gone...I've opted for the NSK approach this time, paybills first and live on the rest. I will post this months budget tomorrow but as it stands I have paid £120 to cc (min pay), £223 DD to loan taken and £973.25 sent to the loan overpayment account. Total paid/set aside is £2210.94 (48% Im getting there) Now just need to hold it down and stick to my budget set for the month which I'm confident I can do...any underspends or additional income will be going straight to the accounts even if its small.

This weekend was really lovely...Saturday I spent time up the highstreet with mum we hit the charity shops... I got 3 jumpers and a teapot im going to customise. It was quite fun and although you had to do alot of digging I stuck to what I needed all for £12 I also got 4 Christmas presents so ive made a start there and combined 3 for 2's with event at b00ts so also now have £21.61 worth of points so will use that to get some more stocking fillers...also plan to make use of pound land for treats and activity boxes. Also have £6.41 coming from quidco payment.

Have paid the rent and all other outgoings. and did a meat shop using 3for £10 and a dine with me, choosing whole chicken dessert and wine I also got a £20off voucher...so it came to £52 in total. Made sure only things brought were with meals in mind.
    Am trying to be more organised in future.

Wine was useful as we went to cousins for dinner & to watch the boxing, We took the wine and the dessert with us as thanks! Was a fab evening. I will be taking a leaf out of missymoos81's diary and will challenge myself to spend £10 per week for the rest of the month. thats an extra £40 in the food budget. (dont worry I know i said I would increase my food budget to £200pm and ive put that in my budget just incase but I want to try and see if we can do it on £90...and pocket the rest, I wont feel to bad if I cant but you never know) I will try.

This month my goals are :
    1. no spending on lunch- packed lunch only
    2. 18 NSD's
    3. meal plan every week (I will get the hang of this)
    4. Clear out things and list at least 5 items on ebay/ziffit etc
    5. stay the course & check in every day
    6. keep to phone data allowance lol
    7. have fun whilst clearing down debt

Another piece of Christmas prep, we dont have a tree here, last year we had a real one so needed to get one for this year, was going to get an artificial one and save but Mum was giving her old one away, as she has a new one...so swooped in to pick that up..little saving there feeling good, feeling inspired, feeling blessed! Hope youi all had a fantastic weekend!! Sx
    • Shelbi
    • By Shelbi 30th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Shelbi
    Afternoon everyone...How beautiful is it outside today!!

Ok so have spent first part of lunch updating my budget....Brought lunch in (soup, left over roasted ham, cheese and bread). Have just sent another £90.79 to loan account taking me to 50% of my loan , 56.95% of overall debt.

Ive worked out I have £367.77 left in the bank which will be earmarked for:

Petrol- £10 (£20 already paid- did a lot of driving over weekend expect to spend another £10)
    Food- £100 left in kitty (aim to spend only another £40 or £50- pocket the rest)
    Dining out/date night- £50
    Beauty spend- £10
    Clothes- £10
    Work Night out - £40
    Bonfire night- £30
    Cinema w/girls- £20
    Oyster top up -£10 (out of zones exp) ...

That should come to £280. The other £87.77 im hoping to use as a further 1.91% payment but also just as a buffer just in case! If I have this left over at the end of the month I will pay it to Loan, but don't want to leave myself short. This month Ive paid £1400 off so I think its sound to do this.

Christmas pressies Ive sorted the list- budgeted £410 for everyone (33 people- my family is large & friends have a lot of children-or blessings as Ive come to know them. OH has agreed to only spend £50 on each other bless him Ive got 3 out of the 33 gifts and have £362 left to spend this will be spread over the next couple of months Its so close now...thinking perhaps that £87.77 will be for xmas pressies..soften the blow a bit. Will also utilise, boots points and any vouchers/cash backs I have/get! Ok back to work I get.. have a fab day guys xX
    Last edited by Shelbi; 03-11-2017 at 4:12 PM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 30th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 4,827 Posts
    • 9,111 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    It sounds like you are getting to grips with budgeting so well done.

I think that in view of your job uncertainty and the fact your credit card is relatively high it might be better to put some savings aside in an emergency fund and target the credit card so you clear it before the 0% deal expires. Undoubtedly it will then be more expensive than the loan and if you have no job it will be nigh on impossible to get another 0% deal.
    2 weeks to go until early retirement in December . Debt free and mortgage free.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin