Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo2016
    • By Jo2016 13th Nov 16, 2:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jo2016
    London Capital & Finance - Bonds
    • 13th Nov 16, 2:27 PM
    London Capital & Finance - Bonds 13th Nov 16 at 2:27 PM
    Are the fixed rate bonds with London Capital & Finance as good as they appear? Their interest rates are much better than anything else available at the moment.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    • 88,774 Posts
    • 54,116 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    • 13th Nov 16, 2:35 PM
    Are the fixed rate bonds with London Capital & Finance as good as they appear?
    Depends on what your definition of what they appear is. To me, they are an unregulated bond with 100% capital loss that is badly marketed (on purpose) to pretend it is something else to people that don't know what they are doing.

Their interest rates are much better than anything else available at the moment.
    No they are not. There are other 100% loss potential risk based investments with comparable or high yields.

See previous threads on this subject.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 13th Nov 16, 3:06 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 3,769 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 13th Nov 16, 3:06 PM
    • 13th Nov 16, 3:06 PM
    Go to the search box above the posts type in "London Captial and Finance" and read one of the threads that already exists on this subject
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 13th Nov 16, 4:50 PM
    • 9,581 Posts
    • 6,096 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 13th Nov 16, 4:50 PM
    • 13th Nov 16, 4:50 PM
    Looks as though they will be doing good business from the numerous threads on here.

This should really be something addressed by either the financial regulator and/ or the Asa, there is something wrong with the adverts to be attracting the sort of people who expect a deposit account.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 13th Nov 16, 7:57 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 10,326 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 13th Nov 16, 7:57 PM
    Are London Capital bonds a scam?
    • 13th Nov 16, 7:57 PM
    This should really be something addressed by either the financial regulator and/ or the Asa, there is something wrong with the adverts to be attracting the sort of people who expect a deposit account.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Absolutely. I find it quite incredible that unregulated investments can be sold with a scam or false guarantee to retail investors who have no knowledge or understanding of the difference. You only need to see the thread about another of these outfits and the sums that have supposedly been lost to see how lucrative it is for the owners who in the eyes of the law appear to have potentially done nothing wrong legally that they could be convicted of.
    Hopefully they'll do less good business if they get readers coming on these threads.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • george4064
    • By george4064 13th Nov 16, 9:58 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 838 Thanks
    george4064
    • 13th Nov 16, 9:58 PM
    • 13th Nov 16, 9:58 PM
    Read here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5346049
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2016 - #045 £10,358.81/£12,000 (86%)
    Save £12k in 2017 - #003 £8,713.98/£12,000 (73%)
    • DrSyn
    • By DrSyn 14th Nov 16, 11:36 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    DrSyn
    • 14th Nov 16, 11:36 AM
    • 14th Nov 16, 11:36 AM
    You have not stated what interest rate these bonds are stating they will pay. As a filter, applying some simply logic would help.

Today

Best safe 3 year investment in a bank about 1.6%.

FTSE 100 yields about 4%.

Stockmarket long term returns are expected to be about 6%

The stockmarket is a risk investment. So anything higher than this is either

(a) High risk investment. In which case why not put it in a FTSE 100 fund, instead of just one company.

(b) Scam of some type. In which case you would be better of not putting your money there!
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 14th Nov 16, 12:21 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 10,326 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 14th Nov 16, 12:21 PM
    • 14th Nov 16, 12:21 PM
    Or this as a warning of what can happen with unregulated investments paying too good to be true rates

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5549141
    • Superscrooge
    • By Superscrooge 16th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 848 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Superscrooge
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    Are the fixed rate bonds with London Capital & Finance as good as they appear? Their interest rates are much better than anything else available at the moment.
    Originally posted by Jo2016
    This is a high risk investment. You might get the 8% interest they quote, or you night lose ALL your investment. I've pasted below the disclaimer they display on their website

Investors should note that repayment of the bonds offered by London Capital & Finance Plc, and the payment of interest on the bonds, depends on the performance of loans made by London Capital & Finance Plc to various small and medium-sized enterprises. In the event that these borrowers default on the loans, investors may lose some or all of their investment. Investment in the bonds of London Capital & Finance Plc is therefore speculative and involves a degree of risk.

Nationwide Flexdirect and some of the Regular Savers pay 5% and your capital is secure. A much safer option! .
    Last edited by Superscrooge; 16-07-2017 at 7:30 PM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 16th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 7,053 Posts
    • 7,519 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Superscrooge, Bail-In is for some reason waking up any thread he can find about LC&F.
    This one was 8 months dormant before he poked it with his blunt stick.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 16th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Superscrooge, Bail-In is for some reason waking up any thread he can find about LC&F.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Not sure if Bail-In is a spammer or spanner.
    • Hollyhock77
    • By Hollyhock77 16th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hollyhock77
    Essex and London Properties
    Sorry, but I could not find out how to start a new post. Does anyone know anything about Essex and London Properties plc. Thay are supposed to buy old properties in London and Essex and renovate them. They have offered me an investment in the business.
    • TrustyOven
    • By TrustyOven 16th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    TrustyOven
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    I must be missing something, because I only see Superscrooge poking this thread and not Bail-In...

Was Bail-In's post in this thread deleted?
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 16th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 10,326 Thanks
    jimjames
    Sorry, but I could not find out how to start a new post. Does anyone know anything about Essex and London Properties plc. Thay are supposed to buy old properties in London and Essex and renovate them. They have offered me an investment in the business.
    Originally posted by Hollyhock77
    No, but why would you invest unless you already have millions in mainstream investments?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 88,774 Posts
    • 54,116 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I must be missing something, because I only see Superscrooge poking this thread and not Bail-In...

Was Bail-In's post in this thread deleted?
    Originally posted by TrustyOven
    Yes. They have been removed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 17th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Does anyone know anything about Essex and London Properties plc. Thay are supposed to buy old properties in London and Essex and renovate them. They have offered me an investment in the business.
    We know little more than what you have posted, which is that they offer ultra-high-risk investments with potential for 100% capital loss and that they spuriously use the term "plc" to imply they are a publicly listed firm when they are not. By "offered" do you mean they cold called you?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 7,053 Posts
    • 7,519 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Navigate to a forum you want to post in.
    Click "New Thread"
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 17th Jul 17, 10:30 AM
    • 15,033 Posts
    • 21,357 Thanks
    antrobus
    We know little more than what you have posted, which is that they offer ultra-high-risk investments with potential for 100% capital loss and that they spuriously use the term "plc" to imply they are a publicly listed firm when they are not. By "offered" do you mean they cold called you?
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    The use of the 'term' PLC is not "spurious", it's determined by law.

Any company can be a PLC rather than a LTD by meeting the minimum capital and other requirements.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 17th Jul 17, 10:43 AM
    • 15,033 Posts
    • 21,357 Thanks
    antrobus
    Originally posted by Jo2016
    London Capital & Finance appears to be running a comparatively new business. It made a profit in 2016, but only has net assets of £26k - an improvement on the deficit of £190k they showed in 2015. (Presumably a result of their previous incarnation as Sales Aid finance etc.)

They claim that their lending is secured, and that the loan to value ratio is 15%.

Reward often comes with risk. It's a judgement call.

Info and latest accounts can be found here.
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08140312
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 17th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    Malthusian
    The use of the 'term' PLC is not "spurious", it's determined by law.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    We have frequently seen companies offering high risk unregulated investments use PLC after their name to imply that they are bigger or more well-established than they are. That is what I mean by spurious. In the case of "Essex and London Properties" they are not even registered as a plc so either the OP has misheard or they have been misinformed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

930Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter