Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edmund_blackadder
    • By edmund_blackadder 13th Nov 16, 11:34 AM
    • 6,030Posts
    • 15,783Thanks
    edmund_blackadder
    Car Crashed into my Property
    • 13th Nov 16, 11:34 AM
    Car Crashed into my Property 13th Nov 16 at 11:34 AM
    Last night a car crashed through my garden fence, completely destroying several fence panels, posts and gravel boards.

I have the person's insurance details and have contacted his car insurance company today, however they said that I'd need to contact my house insurance (!) to sort it out with them as they can't deal with me direct due to data protection for their client.

That doesn't sound right to me. I didn't think I'd have to involve my house insurance company at all?

Any advice, much appreciated.
    I enjoy a pint of beer each night for it's health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Page 3
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Nov 16, 4:47 PM
    • 34,175 Posts
    • 18,122 Thanks
    Quentin
    When the matter has been resolved take a few minutes to write a complaint to them about the shoddy way they treated you, and the lies they told causing you unnecessary stress and wasted time getting them to accept their responsibility over this, and ask them to explain why they acted so badly, and to compensate you over this
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 26th Nov 16, 6:48 PM
    • 20,312 Posts
    • 12,556 Thanks
    dacouch
    When the matter has been resolved take a few minutes to write a complaint to them about the shoddy way they treated you, and the lies they told causing you unnecessary stress and wasted time getting them to accept their responsibility over this, and ask them to explain why they acted so badly, and to compensate you over this
    Originally posted by Quentin
    To be fair, I think the OP was originally given the third partie's brokers details and it was them who told him to claim from his Home Insurance.

I think when the OP contacted the third partie's Insurer's directly, they admitted responsibility fairly quickly.
    • edmund_blackadder
    • By edmund_blackadder 28th Nov 16, 5:09 PM
    • 6,030 Posts
    • 15,783 Thanks
    edmund_blackadder
    To be fair, I think the OP was originally given the third partie's brokers details and it was them who told him to claim from his Home Insurance.

I think when the OP contacted the third partie's Insurer's directly, they admitted responsibility fairly quickly.
    Originally posted by dacouch

Yep, this is pretty much the case.
    I enjoy a pint of beer each night for it's health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
    • suntzu
    • By suntzu 6th Jan 18, 12:45 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    suntzu
    Claim on house insurance?
    FutureGirl. You say to a homeowner, claim on your own house insurance when someone else has damaged the property with a car?

This will increase the homeowners yearly premium and the homeowner would have to pay the excess. I have no idea who insures your house but doing this is certainly NOT "The norm."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

9,199Users online

Martin's Twitter